Summit India Style Rye Ale - Summit Brewing Company

Summit India Style Rye AleSummit India Style Rye Ale

Summit Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Rye Beer |  6.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Bighuge on 02-28-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Summit India Style Rye Ale Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a dark copper color that's almost more like a brown. It's not translucent at all, although it's dark enough that it's not cloudy, it's just dark. An inch plus of tan head settles to a thin lace with a ring of stick and some other webbing on the sides.

Smell is not super hoppy, but there are earthy, pine and some spicy hop aromas going on. It's very complex in the malt department though, with aromas of chocolate, dark caramel, rye, and some nuts. It's just so complex; every time I drink this beer I marvel at how complex the nose is.

Taste packs a bit more punch from the hops without losing any of the complexity from the nose. There is just a ton going on here. Like the nose I get dark caramel and even some chocolate, plus a good deal of spicy rye. There is a nuttiness in the finish as well. The hops are earthy and resiny, with a touch of citrus flavor as well. There is a good smack of hop bitterness in the finish which goes nicely with the spicy rye.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and very creamy. The substantial hop bitterness makes it somewhat dry in the finish, but doesn't take away from the smoothness. Carbonation is appropriate.

I am thoroughly enjoying a case of this beer, which sadly is now halfway gone. I hadn't tried it yet when I bought it but I saw the good reviews, and have always enjoyed hoppy rye beers, so I figured it'd be good and it certainly hasn't let me down. It's not as hoppy as Red's Rye, but has a ton of malt complexity and enough hops to make it true to the "India Rye" moniker. A really well done beer from Summit. Best I've ever had from them.

number1bum, Jun 06, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

A tasty surprise from number1bum. Cheers Josh!

Appearance: Poured from the bottle into my DFH Off-Centered Ale glass, the beer is a deep, dark amber color. Despite the easy pour, there's an inch+ worth of white, foamy head sitting on top of this fine looking brew. The retention is decent, and the lacing is impressive.

Smell: Despite allergies blocking up my schnoz, I'm getting a big whiff of bitter hops and sharp rye. I'm really impressed with the beer so far, I have a feeling it's going to be good.

Taste: The taste virtually mirrors the smell, lots of bitterness from the hops mixed with some big rye flavor. Not a lot of malt going on, and I'm not complaining. Though the flavors aren't really complex, they are robust and that does go a long way.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is a bit light, but the body is a nice medium- to full- and the texture is good.

Drinkability: This beer is big on flavor, one of the better rye's I've had. I could see myself drinking a few of these in an evening, but I think the strong flavors of this beer might start to wear thin after a while. If you like rye's, give this one a shot. Hell, even if this isn't your style of beer I'd give it a try anyway. Definitely recommend, thanks again Josh!

krisandajt, Jun 05, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

A 1L swingtop growler filled at Al's of Hampden.

A: The rye beer is wickedly dark. I'm used to rye being added to IPAs with much lighter results. This one is a darker copper color, still translucent, that has a syrupy brown color. A sizeable head, over two fingers on initial pour, is lacing in large patches.

S: Rye, lots and lots of dark rye. The breadiness stands out over any hop profile. I was not expecting much when I got the growler but this strength of the nose is very nice. Few beers have the rye that this one does.

T: I'm happy to report that hops are not a complete after thought in the ale. Malt-wise, the rye is chewy and bready, spicy with prominent pepper and caraway flavors. While the word 'India' is a tad misleading (this is not an IPA in my opinion), the ale does bring enough bitterness to the table. The citrusy presence is just enough to register above the richness of the rye. Caramel malts, biscuity, carry the weight when the rye passes.

M: Mmmm, rich rye. The dark spiciness, zest with a dash of pepper, is pleasant. THe over-carbonation on pour has smoothed out, leaving the ale undercarbonated by a small degree. That aids the flavor immensely.

D: A sessionable rye beer, the flavor is rich and strong, indicative of a pretty hefty dose in the malt profile. I like rye beers and this one exceeded my expectations.

akorsak, May 29, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Dogfish shaped pint glass. Poured a dark copper color with a little bit of cherry amber highlights where the light hit it. It had some very nice head retention and left thick sheets of lacing as I drank it.

A nice bready rye is the first thing that hits me in the aroma. The hoppiness really comes through nicely as well with some good earthy and citrus flavors. A pretty nice mix of the rye and hops in the aroma.

The taste really shows the bready rye malt flavor nicely, even more so then most Rye IPA's I've had. Like the nose the hops also come through pretty well in the taste. It has some of the citrus hoppy flavors up front and finishes with more of the earthy and spicy hop flavors. The spiciness of both the rye and hops in the finish really meld nicely together.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is very good, I usually love rye in a beer and this one showcased it very nicely. The rye had a very bready quality to it that was very nice. One of the better hoppy rye beers I've had.

billab914, May 21, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

A- Pours a pretty Dark amber color with a light tannish colored head. Head has great retention and good lacing.

S- I picking up some rye, toasted malts, spicy citrusy hops. Very good balance here.

T- The rye really jumps out in this one. Great balance between the hops, malts and rye. Really surprised by this one and thought it was great.

M- Maybe a bit dry, medium in body and carbonation is right on.

D- I was pretty shocked by this one. A great beer and very easy to drink.

nrbw23, May 18, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

a: dogfish curved pint, full, creamy khaki head retains well atop the maple syrup colored beer

s: great spicy-sour rye profile, a bit meaty, roasted malts with a firm backing of cocoa-rolled toffee, earthy citrus hop profile asserts itself but generally compliments the malt aromas, sort of a rye-based alteration of a rich brown ale

m: carbonation light-moderate, medium bodied, approaches creamy but there's still a bit of an edge here

t: roasty backbone with a moderate toffee sweetness, the finest point of this beer is that the rye adds a generous level of its own complexity while fully complimenting the beer as a whole, dries quickly to leave a full citric bitterness and lingering roasted rye

out of curiosity I researched the malts used: harrington, rye, crystal rye, chocolate rye, and flaked rye - hence the combination of great complexity and full rye character

d: no problem - a favorite amongst the sub-style

thanks dirts, you're al(rye)ght

blackie, May 17, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Thanks to chewy08rx for this!

A: pours a deep copper with some crimson highlights. Little to no head; what is there iis a bit off white.

S: some nice rye characteristics come in alongside some earthy and herbal hops. A bit of caramel maltiness.

T: a pinch of sweetness mixed with some tasty, zesty rye and a nice hop presence that's fairly punget.

M: medium body with good carbonation and a nice dryness.

D: very nice all around. I could see this being quite sessionable...If only we lived in Minnesota!

Thorpe429, May 15, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

A 12 ounce bottle picked up at Abe's for around $2. Best enjoyed by 08-09-10. Uncapped and poured into my shaker glass. The ale appears a clear, deep golden copper color with a good inch of off white foam. Nose and flavors consist of pine, sweet bread, caramel, spicy rye malt, white and red grapefruits, citrus. Sharp, bitter and a tad sweet. Really flavorful overall. Maybe a little better than medium bodied with ample carbonation and a slick bitter finish. Certainly worth picking up.

ClockworkOrange, May 14, 2010
4.22/5  rDev 0%

Received as an extra from a trade with millah- thanks for this unexpected little gem.

A: Pours a deep ruby red with great clarity, tons of sticky lacing and a thin layer of dense white head- good retention

S: a huge resinous piney hop presence dominates the front and it melds perfectly into the aroma of fresh rye bread

T: the front has lots of piney and citric hops, some caramel and spicy malts and a nice presence of rye. Slightly bitter on the finish, very well balanced

MF: high carbonation, medium body

D: this beer caught me by surprise. I've had some good hoppy rye ales recently (Hophead Red, Cane & Ebel, Founders Red Rye) and this one is among the best that I've tried.

homebrew311, May 13, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +16.8%

This beer pours a hazy amber color. The head is a solid one inch in height, and recedes slowly into nice sticky lacing that lasts until the beer is gone. The aroma is of full of spicy rye, with some grapefruit, and floral hop notes. This is rather balanced for an IPA, but it works. The taste is is hoppier than the aroma in both flavor and bitterness, but the rye is still the main component. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a velvety texture, and moderate carbonation. Overall, this is one fine beer. When I first heard Summit was making an India Rye Ale I thought it would turn out something like Founder's Red's Rye. Now, Red's Rye is probably my favorite beer of all time, but I am very glad Summit India Style Rye Ale is different. It is certainly an IPA, but it has considerable more Rye than Red's Rye making it a whole different monster. I really hope Summit adds this beer to there regular line up as it would be something I would buy regularly.

KarlHungus, May 13, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

A: Very dark beer, off white head that is really creamy. There's a red hue, and the beer is fairly clear. Good lace.

S: Sweet rye bred type aroma, perhaps some hops, but a varietal that I'm unfamiliar with. Sharp, but interesting.

T: Less sharp than the bottle version of this beer, but still ryeish. Very identifying for the style to me. Super interesting beer.

M: Light and sharp

D: This is a definitely acquired taste.

mdwalsh, May 12, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a brown/amber in color with a big foamy light brown head.

The aroma is toasty and smells of rye bread and hops. Nice.

Roasted malt flavors mix with rye notes and a good bitterness and big citrus hop flavors. This is good stuff.

Smooth body with just enough heft.

Overall this is a very nice beer. I think it's my first Summit brew. I'm very impressed. Seek this one out. It combines porter and IPA qualities to great effect.

Shaw, May 12, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -18.7%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A - Rich ruby-auburn body with an inch of sticky, light tan foam.

S - Definite smell of rye bread - pumpernickel - with spicy/herbal highlights and surprisingly subtle grassy and citrus hop aroma.

T - Dense, black bread, a bit of dark fruit, and a dry hop bitterness. I was expecting something similar to Red's Rye, but this beer has a more raw, earthy quality. It's interesting, but not my favorite rye beer.

M - Medium body, with a bit of astringency.

D - It's not bad, I'm glad I tried it, but I'm not sure it's my thing. I'd probably pass on it in the future.

trbergman, May 12, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark ruby brown with a two finger thick light tan with strong head retention. A beautiful beer.

S: First thing I get is a big blast of citrus hops, with maybe a bit of herbal character going on, and some grapefruit and fruity berry notes coming through. you definitely get a sense of the rye from the soury spicy malts that accompany the hops. Pretty interesting aroma going on here.

T: Strong twang of semi-spicy, sourish, roasted malts greet you right up front with this beer followed by some herbal hoppiness. The finish is quite interesting since there is a soury twang from the rye accompanied with a decent amount of hoppy bitterness.

M: Moderately carbonation and seems a bit on the chewy side but not by much. I poured this one a bit aggressively so the carbonation seemed a little lower but I estimated what it would be like with a standard and more mellow pour.

D: I wouldn't say this is the most drinkable beer that I've ever had but its certainly not the least drinkable. Seems to be about in the middle. I could have a few of these but I would probably switch to something else if I was drinking all night.

Soilworker, May 11, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

This is the third in Summit's Unchained Series. The first two have been very nice, so I have high expectations.

The brew pours a dark caramel color with thin wispy head above it, which, amazingly, left ample lacing.

The aroma above this beer is intriguing. Hops are the first thing that is noticed. A mixture of citrus and flowers form the hop bouquet. There is an earthiness here. Musty mixed with rye notes, along with the hops, form an interesting aroma.

This is a full bodied and full flavored beer. It begins with the rye. Toasted grain, but not in a cloying way, is distinct in the flavor profile. The beer moves through a juicy center to reach the hoppy goodness at the end. Pine and citrus grapefruit combine with some more spice to leave a lingering flavor of hops on the palate. An underlying earthiness is the tie that binds; the thing that brings this complex beer together.

I like this brew. Summit did not disappoint.

BeardedBoffin, May 10, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours dark copper with a thin tan head. Dots of lacing stick.

The smell is of rye, citrus and caramel.

The taste of minty rye is very strong. It has sweet caramel mixed in, with a bitter citric hop bit in the finish. A bit of the booze shows.

It's a full-bodied brew.

It's an interesting, tasty brew. Spicy, though minty rye does become domineering as it progresses.

jwc215, May 07, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Dark bronze hued with a thick, whipped head of bleached sand.
The nose showcases doughy, peppery rye bread, touches of cocoa, hazelnuts, and an equally potent hoppiness with contiguous pepperiness, pine resin, and an array of dried citrus peels.
The rye grabs center stage once into the mouth. A thick slab of dark rye bread. Hugely doughy, punctuated with pepper, with undercurrents of roast and chocolate and nuts. A stony yeastiness precede an assertive hop statement. More congruent pepper. Pine tar. And a focused citricity via orange and grapefruit.
Medium bodied with a steady, low-level CO2 giving it a sense of fluffed heft. It thins just a tad as it sits and the air seeps out.
This is a fantastic Rye beer. Those looking for a hop monster might find that the Rye malt gets in the way. To me, it's the best of two world. The Rye really gets a chance to shine (and I love me some Rye), while satiating a hop fix.
This is one I hope to see rolled out again.

cokes, May 04, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Grabbed a single for 2 bucks, looked interesting. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours clear dark brown with a frothy light tan head. Smells earthy, hoppy, and spicey from the rye which is extremely present. Taste follows from here. Nothing subtle about the rye in this one, one of the most rye forward tasting rye beers I have had. Earthy hops and a lingering dry bitterness. Mouthfeel is pretty thick, somewhat chewy, I think the dry bitterness deserves a mention in mouthfeel as well. Fairly drinkable, I could go through a six pack probably without a lot of difficulty. Great rye ipa.

Shumista, May 02, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

12oz single, scooped a sixer from jenny street

"unchained" release #3

appearance: poured in great dane imperial pint glass - dark amber body, huge fluffy dirty beige cap and fluffy lacing. nice

smell: really nice hop aroma up front - bitter grapefruit, citrus rind, pine, yeast and rye. Aroma focuses on hops for me

taste: great complexity here - big spicy rye dominates, pulpy grapefruit, bitter pine, yeasty and doughy. I really dig the contrast between spicy doughy rye and biter pine/grapefruit. easily the best summit beer i have ever had

mouthfeel: really nice - slick and oily from the hops, bitter and spicy, coats the palate

drinkability: good

dirtylou, Apr 21, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

Pours a very dark ruby hue reminiscent of maple syrup. Small quickly falling head and little visible carbonation.

The smell is full of blood orange and various other citrusy notes. Bitter smelling musty rye and onion... are also apparent in the nose.

The taste is rye forward, grainy, rustic and earthy. The aggressive use of summit hops is smack you in the face noticeable. Onion and mildly bitter pine round out the finish and work to cover any heat. Everything fits together very well here.

The mouthfeel is medium-light bodied and carbonation is on the low side.

Overall, solid brew. Kudos to Summit for getting ambitious and cranking out this series, I look forward to the next release.

BDLbrewster, Apr 19, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Absolutely wonderful sweet citrus aroma, like fresh oranges with a spicy spritzy backing. Superb! Just a touch of malt rounds it out nicely.
Dark and very clear amber of dark reds and oranges with browns noted too. Rocky head forms after an initial pour of a dense almost tan head, then showing a thinner drippy lacing.
Interesting mix of flavors and they all show simultaneously. Bitterness is what surprised me the most and it's rather full in intensity and very long in length (like a grapefruit). Firm malt with the spiciness of the rye blending in apparently (this increases in presence as the beer opens up with time and adds nicely overall). A very brief fruit sweetness shows initially that is both malty and hop flavored (similar to the orange of the aroma). Oooo, that's nice! As it warms a really nice toasty flavor appears...there, that rounds this off really nicely.
Slightly light in body with ample carbonation.
Temperature is a big deal on this one. You have to get that toasty flavor, that's what's bumped this one up for me. Now that it's where it needs to be, the bitterness is less assaulting and the drinkability increases to "can I have another, right now".

garymuchow, Apr 18, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

A- copper penny body with a bit more red. No yeasty cloudyness. Tight whte head makes a nice contrast to the red body.

S- like a bakery, yeasty rye is exploding from this glass. Also a touch of fresh roasted African coffee.

T- still like a bakery, but with a great bitterness that wraps all the way around your tongue. Loads of pine on the finish.

M- Big boned with a hoppyness that knocks my socks off. Good stuff!

D- A little too chewy to get full marks on the drinkability. Fantastically complex and enjoyable, but not what I'd say is the most drinkable.

Bottle

Naerhu, Apr 16, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

12oz bottle drank from a standard american pint glass.

A- this one pours out a beautiful ruby red colored body with good clarity. a finger of tightly knit head sits on top of the glass and takes a while to die down. even rings of lacing are left on the sides of my glass. cant ask for anything more.

S- spicy malted rye is the first thing i notice. very bready and almost sweet. lots of hops packed into this one. grapefruit mostly, with some pine as well.

T- the taste follows the nose. the malts come off as very spicy and bread like. semi-sweet. a nice hoppy finish. lots of grapefruit and pine. somewhat bitter.

M- medium bodied and creamy. well carbonated.

D- easy enough to finish and almost sessionable in strength. i didnt give summit much of a chance before i started seeing their unchained series. ill make it a point to get to their regular lineup soon.

jwinship83, Apr 14, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Had this one tap at Whistle Binkies on the Lake today. Lovely dark brown pour with amber/ruby highlights around the edges, finger tall eggshell white head that left huge rings of lacing down the glass. This is how beer should look. Aroma is surprisingly bready and malty upon the first waft, with a solid herbal, minty, and lightly grapefruity hop aroma in the back. Spicy rye bread is also present. First taste of this brew has me surprised again. It deliciously complex with intermingling flavors of chocolate, toffee, maybe even some light coffee, spicy rye, and bitter grapefruit rind to balance this one out. That's the perfect word to describe this brew: Balance. It's unbelievably drinkable and oh so tasty. Medium body with light carbonation, but the low carb WB's MO. This is one fine, delicious, and superbly balanced beer. Easily my favorite beer ever created by Summit. Well done folks!

KeefD, Apr 11, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured this rye beer into a white wine glass, considering it was clean and available. Pouring the beer slowly, i can see that the head is easy to coax into a blooming two-finger thick beige cap atop a deep amber body with strong ruby hues. I'm liking the dark hue of this beer. Some lacing is left behind.

The aroma starts from the moment it leaves the bottle. It opens with mint and juicy fruit, then progresses to honey, then finally reveals caramel. Fantastic hop aroma followed by a clear malt backbone makes this beer an expected treat.

The taste is surprisingly malty however. One does not expect to find notes of coffee and bitter chocolate in such a beer, but voila...there it is. Slight rye spice shows up mostly towards the finish. Slight astringency. The beers caramel sweetness is mostly balanced by bitter hop oils, leaving the palate tingling, but not destroyed.

Medium body, and a smooth carbonation. Slightly astringent, drying towards the finish.

This is a good hoppy beer that remains drinkable. Rye adds just enough to leave an impression, though it is not necessarily highlighted.

MusicaleMike, Apr 10, 2010