2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Summit Gold Sovereign Ale - Summit Brewing Company

Summit Gold Sovereign AleSummit Gold Sovereign Ale

Summit Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

English Pale Ale |  6.31% ABV

(Beer added by: mjryan on 03-16-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Summit Gold Sovereign Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 95 | Reviews: 71 | Show All Ratings:
maximum12

2.17/5  rDev -44.4%

Unchained #6 in a series that's yielded some really good beers. Grabbed a single to chew & find out if it's worth an investment in six of these stubbies. Split into two cute little .2L chalices with my wife on a sleepy Saturday night.

Pour mirrors the name a clear, golden pour. It smells...not good. Stale hops & rotting leaves overpower whatever else might be there. Dank & unappealing.

Gold Sovereign doesn't taste as bad as it smells, thank goodness, but there's not much to cheer about here. Grassy hops with a touch of pungent weeds, light sweet malts, breadiness, more than a touch of must, green apple. Lots of tastes going on, but that touch of fall rot infects the taste, too; I've never been a fan of the 'dank' side of hops, I just don't get it, & I'm getting too much of that here. If you enjoy that, this will be your bag for sure. Nice & crisp.

Not a bad beer, just disagrees with me rather violently. I see how people would enjoy it. My wife concurs & is calling for something else. I agree.

04-24-2011 02:32:41 | More by maximum12
Buebie

2.9/5  rDev -25.6%

Medium pour from the bottle into a pub glass. About an inch of white froth, settles to a medium cap with generous frothy collar. Color is a transparent pale golden, transparent. Was expecting it to be a bit more cloudy, as summit had a press release stating it was not going to filter this one.

As I popped the new bottle opener necessary cap, aroma of pungent bitter hops fill the air. The hops have some other less then desirable qualities that remind me of somthing else. Now, because thi is really fresh beer that was just bottled the other day, I can rule out that this is skunked. But the aroma hops do remind me a bit of a skunked Heineken, except much more potent hops and with more of a hemp aroma.
Aroma is hop forward, more earthy pine bitters, with dried hay and spicy onion. Other than that aroma is slightly lacking, with just a small amount of caramel.

Taste starts out slow with mild hop bitters, much more earthy, pine, aspirin and bittering hemp. Very minimal malt flavors. Finishing dry with a light peppery aspirin forward hop profile. As it warmed there is an awkward and distance bubblegum flavor in the far deep reaches of the background. Alongside more of that skunky old Heineken flavor.
Mouthfeel is watery and thin with moderate carbonation.

I guess its best not to read press releases prior to trying a beer. I feel a bit let down actually. I anticipated a well balanced hoppy and caramel filled ipa with more pungent floral and citrus hops. What I am getting is a watered down slightly bitter ipa with what basically comes down to is hop water that has been carbonated and colored with yellow 6. It seems more like a SMaSH. But if this is wht they drank back in the day, then beer surely has come a long way. To me it resembles an English style ipa that has been amped up with much more hop flavor.

Happy to try it, congrats to Summit for brewing somthing new, no disrespect to the brewers but I cant see myself revisiting this.

03-23-2011 22:47:07 | More by Buebie
sweemzander

2.9/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. Enjoy by 07/22/11 printed on the bottle.

(A)- Pours a clear goldenrod color. Produced a solid white frothy head with great retention behind it. Plenty of lace left behind.

(S)- A biscuit-like dryness. Yeasty with a mild hoppy citrus pine character.

(T)- Far more hoppy than expected; plenty of piney flavors with bits of citrus.

(M)- A good carbonation level. Very bitter and hoppy; more reminiscent of an IPA.

(D)- Decent, but nothing special. I can appreciate trying to make new styles, but I am not sure how well this fits it. Definitely more over the top than I had expected.

05-21-2011 13:35:31 | More by sweemzander
DogfishRyan

3.15/5  rDev -19.2%

I review this purely on personal taste. As I'm not exactly a fan of this type of beer, this example didn't warm me up to it at all.

This just looks like beer when poured in a glass. Golden yellow in color with a little bit of head. It seems to be decently carbonated as well.

The flavor is a combination of maltiness and hops. It's a bit bitter than expected and the bitterness lasts throughout the duration of completely drinking. It's a bit heavier in the mouth than you'd expect.

All in all, I'm just not exactly a connoisseur of English Pale Ale's. But as I like most of Summit's brews I thought I'd give it a shot. It's quite an average brew to me.

08-28-2011 13:51:12 | More by DogfishRyan
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.2/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours 1/2 finger of white head. Fades to a ring. Color is a clear bright gold.

Aroma: Pale malts and grassy floral hops. More hops than I was expecting. Not much else.

Taste: Bready and biscuit malts. A lot more malts here. Grassyand weedy hops. Has a floral touch to it.

Mouthfeel: Bitter and malty. Lighter bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry and weedy.

Overall, this one was a lot hoppier than I was expecting. I like the hop flavors. Decent offering from summit.

04-10-2011 02:21:29 | More by mothman
Thorpe429

3.43/5  rDev -12.1%

Bottle picked up at Capone's. Served in a Russian River pilsner glass.

Pour yields a light golden-colored brew with a single-finger white head and a bit of spotty lacing as it goes down. Retention is decent. Nose is quite plan with a bit of bread and some mild floral and herbal hops. The flavor has a bit more going on. The floral hop presence is nice, and there's a bit of a grainy bite in the background. Mildly-bitter finish. Light body and good carbonation. Not something I'd seek out again, though it'd be a nice warm-weather beer.

05-03-2011 23:55:07 | More by Thorpe429
argock

3.45/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from 12oz brown bottle into a clear glass mug. No decipherable freshness date. Provided as part of a massive beer haul from by brother Greg.

A: Clean, clear golden-amber with short, 1/2-1 finger of off-white, big-bubbled head with decent retention but no real lace down the glass.

S: Tea-like, grassy aroma which is too light, even for an English pale ale. I get more bready, yeasty maltiness than hops.

T: The flavor is a good, soild example of the English pale ale style with a good marriage of tea-like, herbal hoppiness with soft, complex, bready, yeasty, light caramel maltiness.

M: This brew leaves a nice coating feel with medium-body and a light-handed carbonation.

O: A solid offering from Summit that really personifies the style well. It is nothing earth-shattering, but it gets the job done for the EPA lovers out there.

06-25-2011 01:50:24 | More by argock
kbutler1

3.48/5  rDev -10.8%

Bottle. Poured into a Duvel tulip glass a clear, uncloudy golden color with a 1 finger slightly offwhite head of thick foam. Very clean aroma with hints of slight florals, some orange, and a sweetness like honey. Medium mouthfeel. Nice lace on the glass. Soft sweet orange upfront with a slightly building of bitterness that ends not long after you finish your drink and doesn’t linger. Very easy drinking and lack any overt flavors or alcohol notes.

05-10-2011 23:23:01 | More by kbutler1
Tone

Missouri

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours a clear, gold color. 1/3 inch head of a white color. Decent retention and good lacing. Smells of grass, citrus (pomegranate?), sweet malt, slight earthy malt, and slight hop. Fits the style of an English Pale Ale. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of grass, citrus, slight earthy malt, slight hops, slight floral, and hint of dry hop. Overall, this was not a usual English Pale Ale, wit interesting citrus and floral/herbal notes. Not my personal favorite, but still glad I tried this unique brew.

08-31-2011 14:55:13 | More by Tone
drabmuh

Maryland

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer is yellow to amber with a white head with some retention, moderate lacing and some carbonation. Looks like beer.

Aroma is bready and sweet with a mild herbal notes.

Beer is tea-like in the floral notes on the midpalate nice yeast but the finish is also mildly bitter. Carbonation is decent on the palate and the body is medium with a nice finish. It is an OK beer.

06-17-2011 19:38:23 | More by drabmuh
mryuk

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

pours golden unfiltered with very little head.

smell is slightly hoppy and slightly spiced.

taste is sour and bitter all the way through.

mouth is medium bodied with medium carbonation.

drinkability was not great. this beer was nether interesting nor a very good example of the type.

06-11-2011 16:18:50 | More by mryuk
pdeme

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

I tried a sample at the liquor store and liked and bought a 6 pack. After pouring a bottle into the mug, I wasn't as impressed.
The apperance was fine, lacing wasn't that good.
The smell is very tea like, not hoppy enough for me.
Taste too sweet tasting for my liking and too much carbonation.
Overall I would buy their other beers ahead of this one.

06-27-2011 15:31:03 | More by pdeme
ToddT

3.63/5  rDev -6.9%

A- Clear golden topped with a fluffy off white head. Head falls slowly to a cap and leaves some nice lace on the glass.

S- Bright malt and hops, very crisp and clean aroma.

T- Bitter wash of hops from beginning to the finish, not over powering but prevalent. Malt balances this out to a degree but the hops carry the show. Slight fruit note at the finish which is dry, crisp, and clean.

M- Medium in body and well carbonated, has a little fizz to it.

O- Nice drinkable beer, the ABV isn’t listed but it feel like 5-6% to me. This could be a decent session candidate.

Solid beer, not my favorite style but this one is nice and refreshing.

05-03-2011 03:45:13 | More by ToddT
ferrari29

3.63/5  rDev -6.9%

Beer poured from a bottle into a Dogfish Head style pint glass

A - Orange colored body; hazy and not very clear; beer poured with a 1/2 finger white colored foam; held well and has some lacing form on the sides of the glass

S - Orange/citrus; sour malt back-end; biscuit; subtle hints of pine; kind of soapy

T - Bitter-pine aftertaste; pineapple sweetness; slightly fruity; kind of sweet

M - Thin body; not very bubbly or active on the palate; bitter taste and nose during retro-olfaction

D - Good beer; enjoyable with food; packed with good IPA flavor; nothing that's going to overwhelm the senses

06-06-2011 04:56:45 | More by ferrari29
cdkrenz

Wisconsin

3.63/5  rDev -6.9%

A - Golden body with a slight haziness topped by a foamy white head starting about an inch tall and tapering slowly.

S - Sharp malty aroma with a hint of hops. It has a pilsner type scent to it.

T - Hoppy bitterness is smooth tasting in a way that doesn't overwhelm my taste buds. It has a nice transition and rationing of hops throughout each pull.

M - Feel is centralized in the soft and hard realm while it offers a slight bite of texture in the beginning.

~ This is a quality beverage. I would recommend it to my friends, and I thank my wife for snaggin' me a sample from a work get-together. That being said, I wouldn't pay for a six pack bt if it were avialble at a party I would drink it.

08-02-2011 00:35:58 | More by cdkrenz
Mdog

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

Appearance: Clear gold, ok head.

Smell: First whiff is skunk, then shifts to grassy with some sweet caramel.

Taste: Definitely hoppy--piney and grassy, some sweetness comes through but buried.

Drinkability: Went down easy.

#6 in the unchained series definitely tastes like a English pale to me, but with more hops than your usual English PA. However, my personal tastes just don't match up with English pale ales, even highly hopped ones. A good beer but the single is probably all I'll have.

04-02-2011 20:45:19 | More by Mdog
GeezLynn

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

Appearance is very appealing, transparent golden hue with a light white head.

Soft fruity hops, light citrus and a bit of mineral.

As far as flavor goes, I'm not seeing how people are calling this subtle. To me, there's plenty of hop fruityness not to mention a hefty dose of bitterness. Bitterness is on the full side, but rounded off rather than sharp and lingers well through the finish. The nice pale malt underneath is a bit too obscured by heavy hopping for my preferences.

Mouthfeel is crisp, with light body and lively carbonation. It's also got a nice slight oilyness to it.

I can appreciate this as something different from your typical run of the mill Pale ale/IPA, but for me this is not something I see myself drinking too much of. Thought the appearance and feel were very nice but did not really care for the hop combination.

04-05-2011 04:58:08 | More by GeezLynn
gatornation

from 12 oz bottle

A- pours a mostly clear golden yellow color with a 1 finger white head that dissapates quickly but leaves a fresh collar and minimal lacing

S- was floral ,and citrus up front.with lemon grass and hops a bit of baked bread malts

T-was bitter at first but it gave way to a floral citrus tastes of lemon and oranges some grain and malts with a touch of grass a dash of spice

M- tart crisp a litter bitter with medium carbonation

O- a nice crisp pale ale that had some bittering hop but a great citrus profile ... i found it quite refreshing and flavorful

05-12-2011 22:18:49 | More by gatornation
Snow81

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

Appearance: Pours a clear golden

Head: Little white head that dissipates quickly

Smell: Little grass with a clean hop and subtle light malt

Taste: Hops right up front with a small about of malts and a hint of a tin comes off the palate

Weight: Light body with a medium carbonation

Finish: Very dry with a nice hp back note

05-26-2011 03:28:21 | More by Snow81
zeledonia

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a very clear golden yellow with a one-finger whitish head that shows decent retention and lacing. The clarity allows me to see the streams of rising bubbles.

Smell is nice, but there's so much packed into a fairly small package that it's hard to pick things out. Very earthy and grainy, with some light malts coming through clearly, and a bit of gentle hops tingling the nose.

Taste starts out with grainy light malts and earthy tones, then shifts into bitter resiny hops. The flavor is very much a balance, with neither the malts nor the hops taking center stage. It's well-balanced, but I don't find it especially remarkable. Bitterness lingers in the mouth until I'm ready for the next sip.

Mouthfeel is heavier than I expected, with medium carbonation. The body gives the beer a robustness that it's otherwise lacking, and I like that. Holds flavors in the mouth for a long time.

A solid beer all around - a very balanced, fairly smooth pale ale that plays both malts and hops up quite well. I'd like more complexity in the flavor, though.

05-27-2011 03:55:58 | More by zeledonia
Mosca

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

Bought a 6 pack at Wegman's Wilkes-Barre. I dunno, tasted skunked to me, I drain poured it and opened something else. Maybe it was mishandled? Checking some other reports here, it seems that is the way it's supposed to taste. Hmm. Odd choice, I think.

Light golden and clear, big head that quickly dissipates, crisp initial hit and then the off-putting (to me) sour/bitter. I'll drink the rest, but only when it's what's left in the fridge.

EDIT: It appears first bottle WAS "off". The next couple have been pretty decent. I'm still not "on the train", but the stuff is drinkable enough, and enjoyable.

05-29-2011 19:48:45 | More by Mosca
champ103

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

On tap at Hanger 9 in Carbondale, IL. I don't know if this is retired or not, but this is certainly a fresh keg.

A: Pours a slightly hazed golden/orange color. A large white head forms with good retention. Plenty of sticky lace is left behind as well.
S: Earthy yeast, slightly sweet but finishes with a nice hops punch. Citrus, floral, grassy, herbal. Very nice.
T: Some sweetness, toasted malt, and some citrus hops in the finish.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Fairly crisp and smooth. Easy to drink, I can put back several without a thought.

A nice English Pale Ale. Though a bit high in alcohol for my liking (in the style anyway) and I wish I could try this on cask. Still very nice and enjoyable.

12-22-2011 03:42:36 | More by champ103
ChopperSmith

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from a stubby 12 oz. brown bottle into a standard clear pint glass.

Appearance: Clear pale golden color with a thick two finger foam head. Receded quick and left nice sticky lacing.

Smell: Citrus hops, fresh cut grass and a slight hemp smell. Sweet malts faintly underneath.

Taste: Crisp and clean, citrus and pine hops up front, followed by some sweet malts and hints of apple and dried apricot. Very unique and complex flavors to this one that keep bringing a little more with every sip. Just the right amount of hops bitterness on the finish that doesn't linger long on the tongue.

Mouth Feel: Light-to-medium-bodied. Crisp and clean with a slight bitter finish on the tongue that fades fast.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. A really unique and refreshing beer with a lot going on for the smell and flavor. Another winner from the Summit "Unchained" series by the brew masters there. Well done!

04-17-2011 19:27:35 | More by ChopperSmith
msjacilynn

3.78/5  rDev -3.1%

A: clear deep orangey yellow with white foamy head and excellent lacing.

S: musty hops, a bit of citrus and yeast.

T: immediately struck by a mild floral hops that fads into a malty middle and lasting bitter aftertaste.

M: thin and well carbonated.

D: I like this entire series from Summit but this is my least favorite so far. keep in mind it is a very well done beer but I didn't care for the bitter finish. might pick up a 6er when in bottles but probably not something I will seek out.

03-21-2011 02:18:19 | More by msjacilynn
uwmgdman

Wisconsin

3.78/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This ale pours a brilliantly clear golden color, a lot like a gold bullion bar with a white head that quickly diminishes and leave bits of lacing. The aroma is moderately malty, some biscuit and toasted grains and a background of floral hops. The flavor is balanced between grainy, toasted malts and floral hop flavors and moderate hop bitterness, with a pleasant soft hop bitterness lingering on the palate. The carbonation is medium-high with a medium boarding on medium-thin body. I'd prefer if the body was a tad fuller or carbonation a bit less. Overall a well executed beer, worth trying.

07-15-2011 01:55:47 | More by uwmgdman