1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Summit Dunkel Weizen - Summit Brewing Company

Summit Dunkel WeizenSummit Dunkel Weizen

Summit Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Dunkelweizen |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bsp77 on 03-06-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Summit Dunkel Weizen Alström Bros

Cramerican, May 10, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +19%

inbierveritas, May 10, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving glass: poured from bottle into weizen glass

Appearance: Medium thick, off-white head, good retention, cloudy burnt orange color, pretty good lacing

Smell: biscuity, some caramel, hints of clove, bubblegum, banana

Taste: fruity up front (the banana comes through more here than in the nose) followed by bready, caramel malt. Slightly hoppier than most dunkelweizens---a little bit of a bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light mouthfeel, expected more carbonation. Dry finish is unexpected, but in a good way.

Overall: As a bit of a dunkelweizen snob (my first introduction to one was the world-class Weihenstephaner version) I think I went in with low expectations. And I was so wrong! This is yet another Unchained Series brew done right. Great representation of style. Great transition beer between late winter and early spring, though I’m finding myself enjoying it just as much in May. My only regret is that this is a limited edition beer. I’d much prefer Summit add this to their seasonal rotation for the spring, replacing the Maibock.

momoagogo14, May 06, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -14%

Poured into a snifter. Very slightly hazy and dark amber with a rich head. Good retention and lacing. Fruity as well as phenolic notes, and plenty of sweetness in the aroma. Bready notes as well. Taste is a little unexpected after the aroma... doesn't really taste as 'German wheat beer' as it smelled. Clean, too clean. Some sweetness as well as some bitterness with only hints of esters. Mouthfeel is smooth, and the beer drinks easy.

4, 3.5, 3, 4, 3

tewaris, May 03, 2012

DarthGuitarHero, Apr 30, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

Skye1024, Apr 30, 2012
3.53/5  rDev -6.6%

12oz bottle, pours a cloudy light brownish-orange. Huge frothy tan head leaves good lacing on the glass and fades to a thin layer of foam atop the ale. Aromas are of wheat, clove, maybe some orange, but seem muted. Tastes are wheat, caramel, clove, banana, faint orange. Mouth-feel is full-bodied, creamy, and smooth. Finishes with a tingle on the tongue. Overall, good take on a dunkelweizen, but I think I got my hopes up too high for this one - nobody does a Weisse bier like Germany.

barnzy78, Apr 29, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +19%

leweascoba, Apr 28, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +5.3%

Served on tap at The Old Mill.
Lighter in color than many for style - more of a cloudy dark golden than a full on brown. Initial fluffy head that settles out a little quick.
Nice fresh and refreshing aroma - banana, clove and the barley malt hanging around.
Refreshing rather clean taste. Similar to aroma, but also holding a slight tartness. A little soft on the barley grain flavors, but clearly still hitting style.
Soft fullness in carbonation. Clean finish.
Nice beer. Would be good anytime and especially with warm weather coming.

garymuchow, Apr 28, 2012

MNCruzn, Apr 25, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

doucmehu, Apr 25, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle says best by 08/16/12 - no problem there. I've been enjoying Summit's one-off series, looking forward to trying this latest one. Poured into my new curvy Surly pint glass (I'm short on weizen glasses).

Pours a hazy medium amber brown. One finger of cream-colored head, decent retention. Slippery lacing needs suspenders.

Smells like a malty hefeweizen. Loads of banana yeast, some rich sweet malts. Spice is there but light, at least in the nose. A bit of chewy bread. I like it, but I want more complexity.

Taste has less banana and more other stuff. More spice (hello, cloves), and more hops than I'd expected, bringing a medium bitterness. Once again, I like it, but I want more depth. And for this style, I want it to be a little less persistently bitter.

Mouthfeel is very nice. Medium-bodied, tingly, and moderately dry. Most of it dries off the tongue, but a bit of the flavor lingers on.

A tasty beer. Nothing about it bowled me over, but I could drink a whole lot of these. And it's a perfect Minnesota spring beer, with those hefeweizen characteristics teasing me about summer, but the darkness and malts I want from my winter brews.

zeledonia, Apr 22, 2012
4.13/5  rDev +9.3%

Cloudy caramel color, decent initial head, doesn't last or lace though.

Malt, clove, and banana present in the nose.

Caramel, clove, banana, wheat, bubblegum, malt. Nice blend of flavors.

Mouthfeel a little thin perhaps.

I think this is my favorite of the unchained I've had so far.

Strix, Apr 20, 2012
3.65/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Dark and hazy amber/ice tea-brown with a small off white head. Okay lacing.

S: Slight clove and yeast, with bananas, bready malt and a bit of toffee. A lot like a yeasty banana bread.

T: More spice in the taste then the nose. Slight clove spiciness that lasts all the way through. A little banana, wheat and malt. A bit chalky, but in a good way.

M: Medium body, slightly below average carbonation. Soft and pretty smooth feeling

O: Pretty solid. Not my favorite of the unchained, but interesting and glad they made it. Pretty good drinkability too.

herman77, Apr 19, 2012
3.65/5  rDev -3.4%

Batch Number 09... No other freshness dating.

A= Pours a nice hazy brownish dunkel like color the head is a bit small for a dunkel rising only a half finger and falling to a thin skin on top of the glass with some spotty lacing.

S= The smell is a lot of sweet bready malt. The bananas I usually associate with the dunkel is missing but there is a definite yeastyness to it that covers all of the sweet grainy buiscuity malt.

T= The taste is much more of what I think of when I think dunkel. A nice sweet bready malt character is prevelent in it but the yeast is able to take the main role. There is a great wheat character to the beer and the yeast brings together a bit of that banana character I am familiar with. A nice spicy yeast character maybe cloves or some other spice comes through that is unique to a dunkel.

M= Nicely carbonated and a great body to it.

O= At first I was skeptical but the flavor is there with this one. A solid offer that I hope to be able to enjoy for a while. They did the style justice on this one. While not the most outlandish dunkel it is a good one that is worth trying again and again.

jjanega08, Apr 17, 2012

Mjcanton, Apr 14, 2012

GarretD, Apr 11, 2012

millelacsmark, Apr 11, 2012
4.18/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured into a Pint Glass

Appearance - Dark cloudy/hazy brown color. Pours a nice foamy 3 finger head that is slightly brown. Good lacing retention as well!

Smell - Caramel, toffee, bananas, and cloves. There's also a slight earthy scent to this beer, but it's not terribly noticeable.

Taste - Bubblegum, caramel, banana, cloves and malts. The taste is much sweeter and vibrant that the smell with each flavor rich and sweet!

Mouthfeel - Very light in body with some moderate carbonation. It's got a very crisp and I found myself drinking this quite fast. This is a very refreshing beer to drink!

Overall - I'm not terribly familiar with the Dunkelweizen style of beer, but what I got was a crisp and tasty Hefeweizen with a very sweet doppelbock-like caramel kick to it. I enjoyed this beer quite a bit, and I would happily drink this again.

NuclearDolphin, Apr 10, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +15.9%

Appearance: Brown, good head.

Smell: Wheaty, yeasty, mild banana.

Taste: Nice sweetness, banana, yeasty. Weizenbock-lite.

Overall: I really like this beer! I like weizenbocks, especially the ones that are banana-centric, and this one combines those flavors into a less-alcohol-potent beverage. I'm going to have to pick up more of this one before it disappears, probably my favorite so far of the Summit unchained series.

Mdog, Apr 08, 2012
3.28/5  rDev -13.2%

Well, this is only my second dunkelweizen ever, so I my expectations are stripped down to their g-strings. Excepting, of course, that the Unchained series has been very good for the most part. But enough of that. 12 oz. bottle.

Pour gives vigorous head, so much that I have to pause in the middle to give it a rest. Occluded amber with brown thrown in. Smell is strong cloves, bananas, old Topps bubblegum (before they stopped putting it in baseball card packs because, y'know, it might ruin the value of a card). Wheat is faint. Nice.

Unchained #9 Dunkelweizen isn't quite what I saw advertised on the board. Wheat is much more prominent in the mouth, & interacts oddly with the sugar-drenched bananas. Lots of clove-spice in the middle, devolving into yeasty esters on the finish. Snapping bubblegum permeates the entire org structure of the brew.

Very strange beer; given my youthful inexperience with the style, not sure if this is indicative or an outlier, but the tastes & whatnot just don't meld all that well for me. Still a pretty good beer, but leaves me puzzled.

maximum12, Apr 08, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +0.5%

The latest in Summit's Unchained Series is a Dunkel Weizen. It pours a cloudy copper-amber color with a cap of really thick sticky foam. Banana and pear mix with in the aroma with a dash of spice. The wheat adds character and texture to the body. The flavors are a bit sweet with some hints of caramel. This is solid drinkable brew.

BeardedBoffin, Apr 05, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark and very hazy brown with a tint of orange and peach. Lots of rising bubbles and a huge five fingers of off white head with good retention. Lots of lacing clinging to the glass.

Smell: Big wheat aroma with some lightly roasted malts. Big smell of banana esters and clove spice. Also lots of yeast and bready biscuit. Light hints of chocolate from the dark malts but the yeast and banana stands out the most. Fruits are very vibrant. A very solid smell.

Taste: Big taste of banana esters throughout with wheat and bready biscuity malts. Good notes of caramel, toffee, and clove spices. Subtle hints of chocolate underneath the fruit. Light hints of earthy hops towards the finish provide a little bitterness. Pretty good taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Very creamy and smooth. Somewhat sweet but has a drying finish.

Overall: A very solid take on the style. The Unchained series does it again. Very nice ester and biscuit flavors. A good easy drinking warm weather beer.

MattyG85, Apr 03, 2012