Saga - Summit Brewing Company

SagaSaga

Summit Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

(Beer added by: JackieTH on 05-08-2012)

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

4.66/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of my all time favorites! I've been looking forward to the chance to give this great beer a proper review. Just be warned - I am totally biased here.

Pours a clear honey-gold with a fluffy, creamy head. Lacing looks great, almost leaves a winter-evergreen landscape on the wall of the glass. Head retention is fantastic.

I give the nose on this one a perfect 5. It's bigger and better than I ask of a non-Imperial IPA - but just enough. All pine and grapefruit juice here.

Taste-wise, well, there's just something about Saga. It's one of my classics, so there's this nostalgia to it. It takes me back to backyard archery practice with my dad, gearing up bowhunting - but it can't be just me. This is such a great IPA, but it's an individual in a sea of great IPAs. Pine and grapefruit per the norm? Yeah, but it has personality. Nice and bitter on the back end of the swig.

Mouthfeel is great. It's light, maybe a little aggressive on the carbonation, but pleasantly so. Gets nice and creamy if you let your tongue bathe in it for a few moments.

A lot of people might roll their eyes at the high score I'm giving this beer. I just want to remind those people that this isn't an imperial. My word though, it could almost pass for one, and that's what makes it an extraordinary 'single' IPA. Let's not forget the price point either - talk about an affordable luxury!

Can't recommend this one enough.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%

3.56/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

From the great progressive city of St. Paul, Minnesota comes the Saga IPA from Summit Brewing. After slaving away for a few hours studying for the Fundamentals of Engineering exam, a nice, hoppy IPA was just what my pallet desired.

From the get go, this brew poured deep golden color and boasted about a half inch head. The brew itself might have been a tad cloudy (or maybe that was my Denver Rocket's glass I purchased at the local Goodwill). The head settled out fairly quickly, revealing a solid lacing.

I like to pride myself on my acute sense of smell, and something as high as 80 IBU should have definitely set off my sensors; however, the Saga settled in my nose quite easily. Don't get me wrong, it smelled great (as all hoppy beers do), but I want to say I expected more of a kick.

This beer packed a punch...for the first three seconds of each sip. If this beer drove a sports car, it would accelerate to the speed limit as fast as it could and then throw on the cruise control for the rest of the ride. It's boldness only lasts so long before it settles out to a nice medium.

I paired this brew with a bowl of chips and salsa. On the whole, I'll be drinking this beer again and I will be enjoying it. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

3.99/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a nice amber/light gold cross, with a bit more head than expected but settled down quickly. Left a nice lacing.

Smells is good, something not perfect about the smell for me but maybe it's the water (I have similar but worse experience with Leines). Hits the mouth great, taste and mouthfeel is very nice, crisp with grapefruit overtones. Pretty hoppy. Don't notice the decent ABV right away, but by the end definitely was contributing to the enjoyment.

Overall I'll definitely be buying again, not a standout in a crowded field but on the other hand somewhat local and very affordable.

Saga from Summit Brewing Company