Saga - Summit Brewing Company

SagaSaga

Summit Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

(Beer added by: JackieTH on 05-08-2012)
4.16/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Summit's year around west coast style IPA. Their EPA was the beer that got me into craft, so I have much love for this brewery. From the 12oz bottle into my tasting snifter. BB 09/27/13.

Pours a clear honey gold with a tight two finger off white head. Solid retention with some really nice lacing.

Tons of hops. Hitting all the notes from citrus to pine to resin. Leaning toward grapefruit. Uses centennial, Amarillo, citra, and rakau hops. Not really familiar with the Rakau, but this is a nice complex hop profile in the nose. Solid pale malt graininess in the background.

Bitterness, grapefruit juice, reisin, pine needles. A bit of tropical fruits. Bready malts in the middle with a touch of caramel. Pretty bitter throughout. Hop oils coat the tongue and leave a hoppy aftertaste.

Medium in body with ample carbonation. Dry in the finish. Again, sticky hop oils coat the mouth.

Overall, this is a solid IPA. Not mind blowing in any way, but it hits all the right notes. The best part about this beer is that it is year around, I can always find it super fresh, and it is sold in 12 packs at no more than $13. Plus I get to give my money to one of my favorite local breweries. Not worth trading for, but if you can get it drink it up. Cheers!

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

First had: on tap at Capone's, Norristown, PA

Clear copper pour with a small white head that retained as a ringlet and left a bit of lacing on the glass. Light floral and citrusy hop aromas. Taste of floral and citrus hops once again, grassy, mild pale malts in the background for a good balance; subdued bitterness. Not really exploding with fresh hoppy goodness, but honestly, this did follow a Sculpin, so my palate might have been biased. Light-medium body and definitely easily drinkable, if a little on the thin side.

3.79/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A bottle with a BB date of 8/17/13 poured into a pint glass appears pale golden with a finger of white fluffy head that doesn't have much staying power but sticks to the glass.

I love the aroma of this beer. Hop notes of grapefruit and mango are strongest. There is also a nice clean malt aroma here that has a touch of sweetness. If the taste as is good as the aroma I'm going to love this beer.

Unfortunately for me the taste of the hops is more pine tree like and resiny. The malt is still very clean and has a nice subtle sweetness but is overpowered by the bittering hops.

Mouthfeel of this beer is medium high carbonation with a fairly nice malt backbone. Finish is long and bitter with a resiny/sticky quality.

Overall this is a solid IPA but I prefer those that are more aromatic and don't tend to overpower you with a bitter taste and a pine resin taste. This one isn't like sucking on a pine cone but it is strong enough to hamper my enjoyment. Good one to pair with spicy foods.

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

3.76/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I thought it had a very nice aroma, but the taste didn't pack quite the kick that I was expecting from the smell. The color, taste, and overall... this beer delivers what I would expect from Summit!

This is a good beer from Summit with all the characteristics of a good IPA and I would drink this again.

3.76/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a clear mug. No obvious freshness date. Purchased as a single by my brother Greg at a Minneapolis area bottle shop for $1.99.
Reviewed from notes.

A: LIght copper, clear, with 2-finger off-white nicely rocky head with good retention and solid sticky lacing.

S: Hoppy with grapefruit pith, pine resin, and some earthy notes in the background. Maltiness is nondescript but slightly bready with little to no caramel.

T: More bitter than the aroma shows with solid underlying bready, lightly crackery maltiness and ranging hoppiness including grapefruit, honeysuckle, orange, pine, and resiny finish. Very solid flavor but doesn't distinguish itself from other good IPAs.

M: A little heavier in body than I would have liked -- not bad, I want this to be lighter and a bit drier. Carbonation could be ratcheted up a notch to help with this.

O: A very good beer from Summit and their best IPA to date that I have had the chance to try. A little lighter body and drier finish would really make this more enjoyable, but all in all it is a nice beer.

3.71/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet. I drink the crap out of this beer.

First off, $12 for a 12 pack of delicious ipa? Yes, please!

Off white head. Golden orange in color.

Flavors of pine and earthy/floral hops. Bready/biscuity malts. A bit of fruit citrus flavors. The malts show a bit more in this one and balance it out nicely.

Mouthfeel: Bitter and a bit sticky. Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

Overall, an enjoyable ipa that is greatly priced and easy to find around the TC. Glad to see this showing up at the 'divey' bars.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

Fresh bottle from Capone's. A bold minty spicy peppery IPA that stands out as the aftertaste is still on my palate some time after consumption. Deep yellow with good retained head. Middling mouthfeel. Good drinkability. Invigorating aroma.Like a 1.5X IPA.

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

4.81/5  rDev +21.8%

As you can tell by my scores ... I flipping LOVE this beer. In fact, it just might be my new favorite. Not just my favorite IPA or beer from Summit ... I mean my favorite beer period!

The pour and the smell are nothing extraordinary or special. It's just like every other IPA.

But the taste is divine. When tasters "talk" or write of perfect balance, they ought to be mentioning Summit Saga IPA. I like hoppy beer, and this beer has plenty of them. Sharp and bitter, the hoppiness satisfies my desire for good IPA. But the hoppiness doesn't overwhelm or become too bitter (ahem ... Surly). The bitter fruit is a counter to the alcohol and bitter malts.

Overall, when I am at my local watering hole of Hopkins Tavern, I ask for a Summit Saga IPA most of the time.

In perfect honesty, I must say that O'Dell's IPA is darn close to this one!

Saga from Summit Brewing Company