2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hofbräu Dunkel - Hofbräuhaus Newport

Hofbräu Dunkel
No picture uploaded.

Hofbräuhaus Newport visit their website
Kentucky, United States

Munich Dunkel Lager |  5.50% ABV

Our dark lager. It has a light body, is easy to drink, with simple roasted malt flavor and slight caramel undertones.

(Beer added by: cerevisiaephilus on 04-05-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 25 | Reviews: 14 | Show All Ratings:
bigdeuce

3.93/5  rDev 0%

Beautiful off-black color on the pour. Decent lacing and head down the glass. Nice malts!! Good blend of munich malts, caramel, and some chocolate/coffee. A few hops in there too. Almost like a baby brother to the Maibock, which is one of my favorite brews ever. Nice offering I will be checking out again.

01-01-2007 01:02:19 | More by bigdeuce
RichardAlexander

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

Beautiful dark, rich, malty taste. Medium weight, not too thick, and medium spicyness. Had a great feel and the smell was just as good as its taste. The head was nice and thick, and cream in color. Light caramel and chocalote notes. Only been sampling beers for about 2yrs avidly, and can say this this was one of my very favorites.

On my way home, I boarded the wrong train, dumping me off at a "Bavarian Chef" who gladly served me a 1L mug of this beer.

Currently enjoying a 1/2 Keg of it at home (along with "ALL" ugh, of my friends). Thats how impressed I was! It is still as delicious as ever. Deserves recognition.

07-12-2012 14:33:16 | More by RichardAlexander
mrfrancis

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

A: Pours a dark, clear brown with a foamy, clinging off-white head.

S: Aromas of roasted grain, dark chocolate, and heavy cream are most prominent on the nose. I've had this beer before, and this time, the nose seemed a bit weaker than usual.

T: Notes of coffee, dark chocolate, brown butter, heavy cream, and roasted grain are balanced by earthy, grassy hop notes that gradually build in intensity. The finish is rich and flavorful with a combination of dark chocolate, cream, and grassy hop flavors.

M: Medium in body and dry, though very smooth for a lager. Carbonation is crisp. This one is very refreshing and drinkable. It would make a great session beer.

O: Even though the nose seemed a bit off, a round of this lager was still a very nice way to ring in the new year. I recommend it with mettwurst and spatzl.

01-03-2012 13:30:49 | More by mrfrancis
bluejacket74

4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

Review is from notes taken about a week ago (1/25/09). Served in a liter glass stein, the beer poured a brown/red color with not much head by the time the beer got to me (I was with a few other friends who all had beers too). Lacing was OK. The aroma was mostly malty, it smelled like caramel, toasted malt and a bit of spice. Taste is the same as the aroma, in this case that was a good thing! Mouthfeel/body was light/medium, and was a bit creamy. Drinkability was very good, it was extremely easy to drink, smooth and quite sessionable. My friends and I all liked this beer a lot! All in all I thought it was a good brew, and I'd likely buy one again on my next trip to the Newport Hofbrauhaus. Recommended.

02-01-2009 03:15:40 | More by bluejacket74
bamadog

4.65/5  rDev +18.3%

Appearance: Came to me in a 1/2 liter stein. A nice deep red/coppery color; 1 finger head that vanished quickly.

Smell: Sweet and malty, a bit of hoppiness to it. Couldn't quite place my finger on what the sweetness was exactly until I tasted it.

Taste: Wow. Very sweet, and I would say strong hints of banana in it. A nice carmel undertone with a slight hoppiness buried in there somewhere.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and smooth. Went down easy... too easy. Left the palate dry afterwards.

Drinkability: Very high. I really liked the sweetness of it. I've been doing a lot of IPAs lately so this was a pleasant change up. It wasn't heavy at all and the ABV isn't too high either so it's pretty easy to go through these.

01-22-2009 03:07:37 | More by bamadog
jushoppy2beer

Tennessee

3.78/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a good-looking dunkel, with a tannish 2-inch head atop a deep caramel body. It sports a slight caramel nose, with a touch of caramel and a slight smokiness on the palate. A smooth malty finish is blended with the sparkle of what I think is a bit too much carbonation for a dunkel. But, this makes it refreshing in the hot summer weather, and this is more drinkable than most dunkels. I quaffed a full liter, and don't regret it.

08-02-2008 21:33:29 | More by jushoppy2beer
laintringulis

3.35/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours a nice copper-bronze color with ruby undertones. Large beige head that thins quickly. Nice lacing.

Smells primarily of caramel malts and yeast with a mild nuttiness and clove smell.

Taste as smells. Very straightforward. Caramel toasted malts with a very mild bitter hop finish. Vague very light spiciness/earthiness. I would have preferred more depth to it.

Light plus bodied; not watery, but I thought it was pretty thin for my tastes. Very easy to drink. Sessionable, but I would not go out of my way to get this. There are too many other dunkels out there that are exceptional.

12-03-2006 11:43:16 | More by laintringulis
BEERchitect

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

Pretty typical of good German Dunkels: Medium brown in color with a moderate foamstand, bready and sweet toasted malts. Hofbrauhaus is more so on the bready, yeasty side that the sweet side, but with an intense caramel / toffee flavor and aroma. Caramel malts help to sweeten the brew, but impart an almost-artificial caramel flavor. Caramel accompanies a buttery / toffee flavors, dangerously close to diacityl. Very nice smooth, creamy body with hints of fresh bread yeast. Finsihes moderatly clean and toasted. Though a solid brew, its not one that I'll venture out for again.

05-22-2006 15:02:53 | More by BEERchitect
kmpitz2

Tennessee

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

This beer poured a nice light brown color with a moderate ring of head. The nose was slightly nutty and slightly sweet coffee, thoug ha little weak. The flavor was roasty and slightly coffee, but again, a little weak. The feel was moderate to thik wiht a nice creamyness. Overall, a decent brew. I enjoyed the flavor and feel on this best.

03-21-2005 01:28:29 | More by kmpitz2
clvand0

3.63/5  rDev -7.6%

Had this on-site ... and free, courtesy of being a judge for a local competition. Poured a cloudy brown color with a tall head that dies off quickly and doesn't leave much lacing on the 0.5L glass. The aroma is of some roasted malts and caramel. The flavor is a sweet maltiness, mainly comprised of a caramel taste. Seems a bit thin. Mouthfeel was lighter than it should have been. This one was ok, but the standard hefe is better.

11-17-2004 18:46:06 | More by clvand0
rlcoffey

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Served in Liter glass stein/mug thingies. You can also order by the 1/2 liter. The first came from the biergarten, the second with dinner in the restaurant. Poured with a 1-1.5 inch head. Dark amber color.

The smell had a nice maltiness. No trace of hops, but I dont notice them much in IPAs either, so no surprise there. The taste improved over the course of 2 liters. I felt it was missing something at first and maybe a bit overcarbonated. As I continued to drink the malty goodness came out. Smooth, with very little mouthfeel, I would have preferred a bit more substance to it.

Drinkability: I had 2 liters and the only question at the end was could I fit a 3rd liter into my stomach. The answer was no, but I only stop drinking due to volume issues. That sounds like a 5 to me.

08-16-2004 01:58:32 | More by rlcoffey
Bierguy5

3.93/5  rDev 0%

This beer is an amber/brown clear liquid with some red highlights. Nice thick off-white head that did not stay around long enough. A toasty and caramel smell is present. Taste begins with a sweet caramel flavor with just a hint of toasty malt and nuttiness. Not much hop bitterness at all. The malt is only slightly bitter. Seemed to be very light body, perhaps could be fuller. Low carbonation in this one. Overall, a very nice flavor and very easy to drink. Solid beer from HB Newport.

08-15-2004 16:28:28 | More by Bierguy5
Puddleglum

4.28/5  rDev +8.9%

As with every hofbrau I have had the drinkability of this beer was it's most superior characteristic. The malt (Munich I'm told) was very clean and upfront. I could hardly detect any hops at all but I was enjoying this particular one out in the beer garden in the middle of the Ohio Valley and the floral portion of my senses may have been all but used up at that point. All in all it was everything I expected.

06-14-2004 19:57:54 | More by Puddleglum
cerevisiaephilus

4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

Really great brew. Especially when enjoyed out of a liter stein! Very nice color, I would say darker than nut-brown but just barely. The head looks nice, but would not oblige us by sticking around very long on our noses, which sucked...but maybe we're just greasy nasties.

The nose on this beer wasn't that impressive...a hint of smooth malt, but very faint. The taste is wonderful. Very very smooth malt characters with the Munich malts standing up proud. Very little hop character at all. I had two liters in 1.5 hours and could have had more...a very drinkable beer!

04-05-2004 17:59:46 | More by cerevisiaephilus