Hofbräu Munich Weizen - Hofbräuhaus Newport

good

Hofbräuhaus Newport visit their website
Kentucky, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

Rich, fairly sweet Old-Style wheat beer with a wonderful combination of banana and clove flavors.

(Beer added by: Bierguy5 on 08-15-2004)
Reviews by eb003:
4.38/5  rDev +18.1%

Looks like I'm rating this a bit higher than most. This is one of my favorites, actually. I don't find it quite as good as the Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse, but it's still a great beer. I think the color is very good for this type of brew. I don't place as much importance to how long the head lasts as other beer drinkers...I'm more into the flavor and drinkability. Overall this is not the very best beer I've had, but it's still pretty darn good. I think it's also a good buy for the price. Still one of my favs.

eb003, Dec 01, 2005

nstroup, Sep 02, 2013
3.93/5  rDev +5.9%

.5L serving in a weizen glass at the brewpub in Newport. Slightly hazed, goldenrod body with a modest snowwhite head. Average retention and some sparse lacing. Aroma is banana and cloves, with some yeast notes. Mouthfeel is light and clean, crisply carbonated. Taste is very nice for style, with banana, cloves, and some vague coriander. Crisp carbonation swirls everything into a refreshing Hefe that is ideal with the platter of wursts from the kitchen. Very much like a good German brewed Hefe.

merlin48, Jun 15, 2006
3.95/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from 11.2 oz. green bottle into a Sam Adams "Perfect Pint" glass.

Appearance: Pours a bright and very hazy golden orange with lots of rising bubbles. Big four fingers of white head with good retention. Leaves some nice lacing around the glass.

Smell: A fairly sweet aroma. Wheat grains, yeast, and bready malts. Hints of banana, hay, bubblegum, lemon, and orange along with a solid bready biscuit presence. A little bit of a clove and pepper like spice. Light noble hops. Also a little bit of that skunk smell from the green bottle.

Taste: Nice bready taste from wheat grains, malts, and yeast. Notes of bananas, lemon, bubblegum, hay, and orange peel. Some light clove spices. Hop presence is very subdued. Moderately sweet taste with some nice fruit esters. Light but solid taste you expect from the style.

Mouthfeel: Fairly light body with a moderate amount of carbonation. Creamy, crisp, and somewhat dry. Very smooth.

Overall: A pretty solid take on the style. Well balanced with some nice esters. Needs to switch to a dark bottle though.

MattyG85, Jul 12, 2012
3.38/5  rDev -8.9%

Hazy yellow color with a nice fluffy head after the pour. Aroma is citrus banana, some yeast and just a slight touch of grass. I taste a lot of spices at first, sort of like a seltzer feel, then some citrus and yeast. Finishes a little dry. This was an OK Hef, certainly not tops on my list.

Rootdog316, Jun 13, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -4.9%

12oz. bottle poured into a Fullsteam weizen glass.

Pours a gigantic, quickly rising, creamy 4 finger white head with poor retention for the style. Beer is a cloudy lemon with a slight orange hue. Lacing is stringy and spotty with
moderate retention. Average.

Nose is sweet malt, some banana esthers, and floral and slightly powdery overtones. Pretty standard but aromatic and appetizing.

Opens banana with a big, malty backbone. More banana, corn, and flour and dough notes in the middle and end. Finish is accented spice with some lemon rind. Aftertaste is more banana and adjunct sweetness. A bit awkward but pretty good.

Light bodied with moderate to low retention. Surpisingly smooth in the mouth with a spicy and brief finish and mellow aftertaste. Very drinkable.

For a beer without a lot of character which is also a bit too sweet, this is surprisingly drinkable. Not as rich or robust as some of the top offerings in the style, I could nevertheless see this as a go-to session beer.

SpeedwayJim, Oct 20, 2011

TheMrFarnham, Jul 10, 2013

Trent, May 20, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

kurtulbricht, Jul 17, 2013
3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

A liter of hefeweizen in a biergarden in the summer is a treat. This beer is a great hazy golden color with some orange color to it as well. Nice thick white fluffy head. The head did not remain very long, and there was no lace on the giant mug. Smells typical of a hefeweizen, slight clove and banana. However, here the nose was not very powerful. Taste was nice and tart, without much spice. Light body, highly carbonated and spritzy. Overall, this was a very refreshing beer that was very easy to drink, even a liter at a time. This went very well with the food.

Bierguy5, Aug 15, 2004

dogma33, Jul 23, 2013
3.46/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tasted this beer poured into a tulip glass. At first, looking into the bottle, I could see a lot of sediment (I'm guessing was yeast). This threw me off a bit, but having brewed a couple of batches of beer myself and knowing that it's hard to keep out sediment I can relate to this and if anything it made me feel better about the craftsmanship and uniqueness of this brew.

Contrasting with a lot of the other reviews I saw here, after pouring, the head didn't last long and became pretty slim. This may have just been my beer, maybe I got an off-batch.

The consistency and color of the beer almost looked like apple juice. Very thick and deep, with an orange-red haze. Similar to a Blue Moon pour, but a definitely deeper looking.

Smelling it brought out really yeasty flavors, and some vanilla and banana among other fruity aromas. The taste wasn't as sweet as I'd expect from the smell, and the carbonation is really prominent. However, this beer is extremely drinkable and enjoyable. I'm glad I bought a 6 of these and I will definitely consider getting another 6 whenever I get the chance.

Buzzaldrin, May 23, 2013
3.98/5  rDev +7.3%

I had a liter of this for my second beer at the Newport location. Not much of a head but it was in the liter mug. Smelled like your typical wheat but stronger. Bananas, cloves, slight citrus and as someone else mentioned, bubblegum. Couldn't quite put my finger on it until I read that. The beer was thicker than some I have had in the past so I would say medium boddied. A stronger banana flavor than most. I really enjoyed this brew and place it in the top 5 wheats that I have had. I have had this out of the bottle and it is night and day when comparing to what I had on tap. I'd have had another if I could have fit it in my stomach after the sauerbraten.

dren, Apr 13, 2007

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

Tr0janSlay3r, Jul 28, 2013

meanmutt, Jun 19, 2013
3.53/5  rDev -4.9%

Appearance: Is this hefeweizen, or did the brewer mess up the labeling? I say that because the beer — “Hefe Weizen” — poured a clear straw into my 300 ml weizen glass; the only kind of clouding was a slight chill haze. Even in the green bottle it looked way too clear. Three fingers of white head developed and dissipated to leave a spotted lacing and ring around the edge. There is yeast sedimentation at the bottom of the bottle, so it has to be part-weissbier.

Smell: It kind of smells like a hefe, but, as with the appearance, it is much more helles-like. There is a little banana, apple, and bubblegum, but the dominant aroma is the classic barnyard hay of helles.

Taste: It kind of tastes like a hefe, too, but it is way too watered down to convince me there is not something strange with this sixer. Banana, apple, strawberry, bubblegum (maybe strawberry bubblegum), and just a hint of clove. Besides that there is the helles hay. Very weird.

Drinkability: The carrier label depicts a waitress in a dirndl serving half liter glasses of cloudy, wheaty goodness. Whatever beer that is, it ain’t this. I have yet to try kristallweizen, but I assume this is very similar. However, as strange as this beer was, it was pretty good stuff. If this truly is the unfiltered hefeweizen they are brewing in Kentucky for the American market, Hofbräu should be ashamed of itself. It’s good, but, oddly, is only halfway there.

TheQuietMan22, Jul 09, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

YieldToNothing, May 05, 2013
3.98/5  rDev +7.3%

A - Pours out a hazy golden color. About four fingers of fizzy white head. Very little lacing.
S - Smell was very grainy/yeasty, a slight touch of alcohol in the smell.
T - Taste was also grainy, finished with a slight fruity zing to it. Overall, a pretty pleasing taste to it.
M - The beer was pretty smooth, a good amount of carbonation present.
D - I would definitely drink more of these. An excellent summer beer.

kbeals, Jul 11, 2008

sd123, Dec 27, 2012

spmiller86, Jun 09, 2013
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A pretty good American Wheat. Quite neutral but present aromas of banannas, cloves, bubblegum, lemon, yeast, and bread. Flavors mimic the aromas. More barley malt adds sweetness and smoothness. Wheat flavors seem a bit muted, but adds the appropriate creaminess. Good proteins and head retention. A good beer for our area. I'll have another.

BEERchitect, Aug 17, 2005