Hofbräu Munich Weizen - Hofbräuhaus Newport

good

Hofbräuhaus Newport visit their website
Kentucky, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

Rich, fairly sweet Old-Style wheat beer with a wonderful combination of banana and clove flavors.

(Beer added by: Bierguy5 on 08-15-2004)

Trent, May 20, 2012
2.7/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tall Boddingtons Pub Ale glass.

No freshness date, I will be possibly re-reviewing this beer in a bottle and from tap, as absolute freshness is the key to good hefe's.

A--A much more golden/honey colored hazy hefe than I've experienced. Thick creamy head 3 fingers stayed almost the whole time and laced the glass with some decent rings.

S--Lots of clove sweetness, not as much bananna as say a Franziskaner, but it's there. I actually got a bit of a pilsner odor...This is why I want to review this on tap--I feel this beer might not be as fresh as it could be.

T--Weak clove, not nearly as wheaty as it smells, bland, not very complex or even dichotomous. I wanted this beer to be good. I bought a six pack and experimented with different serving temps, just never could get it to be anything other than "okay."

M--Finished smooth and clean, just like a refreshing hefe should. The one saving grace of this beer is that it was a pleasure to hold in my mouth and drink slowly.

D--I drink at least one hefe a week which is more than most people I know, but I won't drink more than one in a sitting because the flavor wears my tastebuds out--this one, no matter how bland isn't an exception. Two of these max (bottles) on half litre off the tap would be enough.

O--I really wanted this to be a good beer. I love the Hofbraus beers I especially love their dopplebock, but this one just didnt do it for me. I'll wait till I try it off the tap at the restraunt this weekend and another bottle before I make my final determination. For now...Steering clear going for the Franziskaner and the Breck Hefeproper.

fightingwords, Feb 28, 2006

slimntubbs, Jan 31, 2012
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

It pours a really nice looking (for a hefe) cloudy dark straw. A tall hat of thick eggshell colored foam rise into the spire of the glass. Nice.

Smell is full of the wonderful and sweet/tart hefe yeast, not much banana and just a hint of spice. Many better aromas sniffed in this style fersure, but a nice scent just the same.

Taste is nothing to write home about. It comes at you watery, and not full of flavors. The tart and complex yeast profile is missing. Really a mucky taste to it.

Mouth is not great. I like low carb. hefe's, this is, but the rest of the qualities, viscosity, platform for flavors, and finish all are merely average for a wheat beer.

Drinkability is merely average. Nuff said

cavedave, Jan 14, 2011

KerryCummins1977, May 29, 2013

AleAssassin, Jul 25, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

Tr0janSlay3r, Jul 28, 2013
3.35/5  rDev -9.7%

Had this one on tap at the Hofbrauhaus Newport several times. The beer came with a tall head ... but the lemon on the glass caused the head to fall really fast. Damn fruit on my beer glass. I bet they don't serve it with fruit on the glass in Munich. Anyway. The color was a bright yellow with some cloudiness. The aroma was light, but some banana and clove came through as well as a wheaty/bready note. The flavor seemed really watered down. I really think they "Americanized" this wheat beer. It's ok, but it could be way better. It's somewhat thin and easy to drink, but it's missing something very useful.

clvand0, Nov 17, 2004
3.38/5  rDev -8.9%

Hazy yellow color with a nice fluffy head after the pour. Aroma is citrus banana, some yeast and just a slight touch of grass. I taste a lot of spices at first, sort of like a seltzer feel, then some citrus and yeast. Finishes a little dry. This was an OK Hef, certainly not tops on my list.

Rootdog316, Jun 13, 2008
3.46/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tasted this beer poured into a tulip glass. At first, looking into the bottle, I could see a lot of sediment (I'm guessing was yeast). This threw me off a bit, but having brewed a couple of batches of beer myself and knowing that it's hard to keep out sediment I can relate to this and if anything it made me feel better about the craftsmanship and uniqueness of this brew.

Contrasting with a lot of the other reviews I saw here, after pouring, the head didn't last long and became pretty slim. This may have just been my beer, maybe I got an off-batch.

The consistency and color of the beer almost looked like apple juice. Very thick and deep, with an orange-red haze. Similar to a Blue Moon pour, but a definitely deeper looking.

Smelling it brought out really yeasty flavors, and some vanilla and banana among other fruity aromas. The taste wasn't as sweet as I'd expect from the smell, and the carbonation is really prominent. However, this beer is extremely drinkable and enjoyable. I'm glad I bought a 6 of these and I will definitely consider getting another 6 whenever I get the chance.

Buzzaldrin, May 23, 2013

kurtulbricht, Jul 17, 2013

drdiesel9483, Feb 24, 2014

HumphreyLee, Dec 14, 2011

bendern, Aug 13, 2012

djrn2, Apr 11, 2014
3.53/5  rDev -4.9%

12oz. bottle poured into a Fullsteam weizen glass.

Pours a gigantic, quickly rising, creamy 4 finger white head with poor retention for the style. Beer is a cloudy lemon with a slight orange hue. Lacing is stringy and spotty with
moderate retention. Average.

Nose is sweet malt, some banana esthers, and floral and slightly powdery overtones. Pretty standard but aromatic and appetizing.

Opens banana with a big, malty backbone. More banana, corn, and flour and dough notes in the middle and end. Finish is accented spice with some lemon rind. Aftertaste is more banana and adjunct sweetness. A bit awkward but pretty good.

Light bodied with moderate to low retention. Surpisingly smooth in the mouth with a spicy and brief finish and mellow aftertaste. Very drinkable.

For a beer without a lot of character which is also a bit too sweet, this is surprisingly drinkable. Not as rich or robust as some of the top offerings in the style, I could nevertheless see this as a go-to session beer.

SpeedwayJim, Oct 20, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -4.9%

Appearance: Is this hefeweizen, or did the brewer mess up the labeling? I say that because the beer — “Hefe Weizen” — poured a clear straw into my 300 ml weizen glass; the only kind of clouding was a slight chill haze. Even in the green bottle it looked way too clear. Three fingers of white head developed and dissipated to leave a spotted lacing and ring around the edge. There is yeast sedimentation at the bottom of the bottle, so it has to be part-weissbier.

Smell: It kind of smells like a hefe, but, as with the appearance, it is much more helles-like. There is a little banana, apple, and bubblegum, but the dominant aroma is the classic barnyard hay of helles.

Taste: It kind of tastes like a hefe, too, but it is way too watered down to convince me there is not something strange with this sixer. Banana, apple, strawberry, bubblegum (maybe strawberry bubblegum), and just a hint of clove. Besides that there is the helles hay. Very weird.

Drinkability: The carrier label depicts a waitress in a dirndl serving half liter glasses of cloudy, wheaty goodness. Whatever beer that is, it ain’t this. I have yet to try kristallweizen, but I assume this is very similar. However, as strange as this beer was, it was pretty good stuff. If this truly is the unfiltered hefeweizen they are brewing in Kentucky for the American market, Hofbräu should be ashamed of itself. It’s good, but, oddly, is only halfway there.

TheQuietMan22, Jul 09, 2011
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A pretty good American Wheat. Quite neutral but present aromas of banannas, cloves, bubblegum, lemon, yeast, and bread. Flavors mimic the aromas. More barley malt adds sweetness and smoothness. Wheat flavors seem a bit muted, but adds the appropriate creaminess. Good proteins and head retention. A good beer for our area. I'll have another.

BEERchitect, Aug 17, 2005
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this one on tap at Hofbrauhaus in Pittsburgh, PA and poured into a 1L mug.

Appearance: Pour is a peachy, dull yellow color and it starts with a one finger off-white head that fafdes quickly to a thin, uneven cap; thick wall and web of lacing is left behind as head fades; body is very cloudy and murky, but still shows fast and strong carbonation in as far as you can see.

Smell: Banana and cloves from the yeast; strong, toasty graininess with a touch of wheat; comes across a little dull, overall.

Taste: Pretty much matches the smell, but it's a little thin and watery overall, so yeah, it's a little dull as well. I'm not saying it's bad in any capacity, but it doesn't match up with other offerings of the style. I would gladly drink it again.

Mouthfeel: Like the taste, it's a little thin and watery; carbonation is strong, but could be a little stronger; a thin, semi-dry coating is left all over the palate.

Overall: Meh. It's good, and like I said, I would definitely drink it again, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it.

bamadog, Jun 09, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -3.5%

Appearance - A very cloudy gold/yellow/orange color with some bright yellow highlights at the bottom of the glass. A bright white, soapy, pillowy head that had very nice size and retention. Lacing was ok as it left some patches down the sides of the glass.

Smell - Notes of lemony citrus. A touch of banana. Some wheat and coriander. A light bit of pepper and some other spices. Smells fruity and fresh. Well balanced.

Taste - The taste is complementary to the smell. The fruity lemon citrus combined with mild banana mixed with coriander and spices. The taste didn't seem as prominent with the categories as the aroma was.

Mouthfeel - Medium to light mouthfeel. Mostly watery. Crisp, refreshing and thirst quenching. Not much flavor is left on the palate. It was smooth and snappy.

Drinkability - This would be a great refresher for the hot Spring and Summer days. It's better than most Hefe or Wheats I've had thus far. Not over run with the spices like some others tend to be. Great looking beer. Mouthfeel was a bit lax, but stands to reason for this style.

Shrews629, Apr 10, 2011