1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hofbräu Munich Weizen - Hofbräuhaus Newport

Hofbräu Munich WeizenHofbräu Munich Weizen

good

Hofbräuhaus Newport visit their website
Kentucky, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

Rich, fairly sweet Old-Style wheat beer with a wonderful combination of banana and clove flavors.

(Beer added by: Bierguy5 on 08-15-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 50 | Reviews: 22 | Show All Ratings:
fightingwords

2.7/5  rDev -27%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tall Boddingtons Pub Ale glass.

No freshness date, I will be possibly re-reviewing this beer in a bottle and from tap, as absolute freshness is the key to good hefe's.

A--A much more golden/honey colored hazy hefe than I've experienced. Thick creamy head 3 fingers stayed almost the whole time and laced the glass with some decent rings.

S--Lots of clove sweetness, not as much bananna as say a Franziskaner, but it's there. I actually got a bit of a pilsner odor...This is why I want to review this on tap--I feel this beer might not be as fresh as it could be.

T--Weak clove, not nearly as wheaty as it smells, bland, not very complex or even dichotomous. I wanted this beer to be good. I bought a six pack and experimented with different serving temps, just never could get it to be anything other than "okay."

M--Finished smooth and clean, just like a refreshing hefe should. The one saving grace of this beer is that it was a pleasure to hold in my mouth and drink slowly.

D--I drink at least one hefe a week which is more than most people I know, but I won't drink more than one in a sitting because the flavor wears my tastebuds out--this one, no matter how bland isn't an exception. Two of these max (bottles) on half litre off the tap would be enough.

O--I really wanted this to be a good beer. I love the Hofbraus beers I especially love their dopplebock, but this one just didnt do it for me. I'll wait till I try it off the tap at the restraunt this weekend and another bottle before I make my final determination. For now...Steering clear going for the Franziskaner and the Breck Hefeproper.

02-28-2006 03:24:13 | More by fightingwords
cavedave

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

It pours a really nice looking (for a hefe) cloudy dark straw. A tall hat of thick eggshell colored foam rise into the spire of the glass. Nice.

Smell is full of the wonderful and sweet/tart hefe yeast, not much banana and just a hint of spice. Many better aromas sniffed in this style fersure, but a nice scent just the same.

Taste is nothing to write home about. It comes at you watery, and not full of flavors. The tart and complex yeast profile is missing. Really a mucky taste to it.

Mouth is not great. I like low carb. hefe's, this is, but the rest of the qualities, viscosity, platform for flavors, and finish all are merely average for a wheat beer.

Drinkability is merely average. Nuff said

01-14-2011 04:23:06 | More by cavedave
clvand0

3.35/5  rDev -9.5%

Had this one on tap at the Hofbrauhaus Newport several times. The beer came with a tall head ... but the lemon on the glass caused the head to fall really fast. Damn fruit on my beer glass. I bet they don't serve it with fruit on the glass in Munich. Anyway. The color was a bright yellow with some cloudiness. The aroma was light, but some banana and clove came through as well as a wheaty/bready note. The flavor seemed really watered down. I really think they "Americanized" this wheat beer. It's ok, but it could be way better. It's somewhat thin and easy to drink, but it's missing something very useful.

11-17-2004 18:42:18 | More by clvand0
Rootdog316

3.38/5  rDev -8.6%

Hazy yellow color with a nice fluffy head after the pour. Aroma is citrus banana, some yeast and just a slight touch of grass. I taste a lot of spices at first, sort of like a seltzer feel, then some citrus and yeast. Finishes a little dry. This was an OK Hef, certainly not tops on my list.

06-13-2008 10:56:32 | More by Rootdog316
Buzzaldrin

3.46/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tasted this beer poured into a tulip glass. At first, looking into the bottle, I could see a lot of sediment (I'm guessing was yeast). This threw me off a bit, but having brewed a couple of batches of beer myself and knowing that it's hard to keep out sediment I can relate to this and if anything it made me feel better about the craftsmanship and uniqueness of this brew.

Contrasting with a lot of the other reviews I saw here, after pouring, the head didn't last long and became pretty slim. This may have just been my beer, maybe I got an off-batch.

The consistency and color of the beer almost looked like apple juice. Very thick and deep, with an orange-red haze. Similar to a Blue Moon pour, but a definitely deeper looking.

Smelling it brought out really yeasty flavors, and some vanilla and banana among other fruity aromas. The taste wasn't as sweet as I'd expect from the smell, and the carbonation is really prominent. However, this beer is extremely drinkable and enjoyable. I'm glad I bought a 6 of these and I will definitely consider getting another 6 whenever I get the chance.

05-23-2013 02:43:43 | More by Buzzaldrin
BEERchitect

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A pretty good American Wheat. Quite neutral but present aromas of banannas, cloves, bubblegum, lemon, yeast, and bread. Flavors mimic the aromas. More barley malt adds sweetness and smoothness. Wheat flavors seem a bit muted, but adds the appropriate creaminess. Good proteins and head retention. A good beer for our area. I'll have another.

08-17-2005 19:16:52 | More by BEERchitect
bamadog

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this one on tap at Hofbrauhaus in Pittsburgh, PA and poured into a 1L mug.

Appearance: Pour is a peachy, dull yellow color and it starts with a one finger off-white head that fafdes quickly to a thin, uneven cap; thick wall and web of lacing is left behind as head fades; body is very cloudy and murky, but still shows fast and strong carbonation in as far as you can see.

Smell: Banana and cloves from the yeast; strong, toasty graininess with a touch of wheat; comes across a little dull, overall.

Taste: Pretty much matches the smell, but it's a little thin and watery overall, so yeah, it's a little dull as well. I'm not saying it's bad in any capacity, but it doesn't match up with other offerings of the style. I would gladly drink it again.

Mouthfeel: Like the taste, it's a little thin and watery; carbonation is strong, but could be a little stronger; a thin, semi-dry coating is left all over the palate.

Overall: Meh. It's good, and like I said, I would definitely drink it again, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it.

06-09-2011 01:49:24 | More by bamadog
TheQuietMan22

Iowa

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%

Appearance: Is this hefeweizen, or did the brewer mess up the labeling? I say that because the beer — “Hefe Weizen” — poured a clear straw into my 300 ml weizen glass; the only kind of clouding was a slight chill haze. Even in the green bottle it looked way too clear. Three fingers of white head developed and dissipated to leave a spotted lacing and ring around the edge. There is yeast sedimentation at the bottom of the bottle, so it has to be part-weissbier.

Smell: It kind of smells like a hefe, but, as with the appearance, it is much more helles-like. There is a little banana, apple, and bubblegum, but the dominant aroma is the classic barnyard hay of helles.

Taste: It kind of tastes like a hefe, too, but it is way too watered down to convince me there is not something strange with this sixer. Banana, apple, strawberry, bubblegum (maybe strawberry bubblegum), and just a hint of clove. Besides that there is the helles hay. Very weird.

Drinkability: The carrier label depicts a waitress in a dirndl serving half liter glasses of cloudy, wheaty goodness. Whatever beer that is, it ain’t this. I have yet to try kristallweizen, but I assume this is very similar. However, as strange as this beer was, it was pretty good stuff. If this truly is the unfiltered hefeweizen they are brewing in Kentucky for the American market, Hofbräu should be ashamed of itself. It’s good, but, oddly, is only halfway there.

07-09-2011 05:21:25 | More by TheQuietMan22
SpeedwayJim

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%

12oz. bottle poured into a Fullsteam weizen glass.

Pours a gigantic, quickly rising, creamy 4 finger white head with poor retention for the style. Beer is a cloudy lemon with a slight orange hue. Lacing is stringy and spotty with
moderate retention. Average.

Nose is sweet malt, some banana esthers, and floral and slightly powdery overtones. Pretty standard but aromatic and appetizing.

Opens banana with a big, malty backbone. More banana, corn, and flour and dough notes in the middle and end. Finish is accented spice with some lemon rind. Aftertaste is more banana and adjunct sweetness. A bit awkward but pretty good.

Light bodied with moderate to low retention. Surpisingly smooth in the mouth with a spicy and brief finish and mellow aftertaste. Very drinkable.

For a beer without a lot of character which is also a bit too sweet, this is surprisingly drinkable. Not as rich or robust as some of the top offerings in the style, I could nevertheless see this as a go-to session beer.

10-19-2011 23:37:25 | More by SpeedwayJim
Shrews629

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

Appearance - A very cloudy gold/yellow/orange color with some bright yellow highlights at the bottom of the glass. A bright white, soapy, pillowy head that had very nice size and retention. Lacing was ok as it left some patches down the sides of the glass.

Smell - Notes of lemony citrus. A touch of banana. Some wheat and coriander. A light bit of pepper and some other spices. Smells fruity and fresh. Well balanced.

Taste - The taste is complementary to the smell. The fruity lemon citrus combined with mild banana mixed with coriander and spices. The taste didn't seem as prominent with the categories as the aroma was.

Mouthfeel - Medium to light mouthfeel. Mostly watery. Crisp, refreshing and thirst quenching. Not much flavor is left on the palate. It was smooth and snappy.

Drinkability - This would be a great refresher for the hot Spring and Summer days. It's better than most Hefe or Wheats I've had thus far. Not over run with the spices like some others tend to be. Great looking beer. Mouthfeel was a bit lax, but stands to reason for this style.

04-10-2011 12:53:10 | More by Shrews629
jonandhisflask

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

Had on tap at the brewpub

A-well, this doesnt look like what you are going to get out of their 6 pack they offer, this stuff looked like straight sunny D! haha i didnt know what i was in for, it had a thick 2 inch head from this liter sized mug.

S-Smells of banana, spice, grains a true hefe

T-hmmm about the same as the smell up front, yeasty grainy, a bit more watery than what i would have thought considering how heavy it looks

M- easyily drinkable, medium carbonation... but very grainy

O- i like this beer its brewed on the site, tastes good and i can get a liter of it. good beer always a first choice when i go there

08-01-2011 23:51:47 | More by jonandhisflask
Bierguy5

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

A liter of hefeweizen in a biergarden in the summer is a treat. This beer is a great hazy golden color with some orange color to it as well. Nice thick white fluffy head. The head did not remain very long, and there was no lace on the giant mug. Smells typical of a hefeweizen, slight clove and banana. However, here the nose was not very powerful. Taste was nice and tart, without much spice. Light body, highly carbonated and spritzy. Overall, this was a very refreshing beer that was very easy to drink, even a liter at a time. This went very well with the food.

08-15-2004 16:33:35 | More by Bierguy5
merlin48

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

.5L serving in a weizen glass at the brewpub in Newport. Slightly hazed, goldenrod body with a modest snowwhite head. Average retention and some sparse lacing. Aroma is banana and cloves, with some yeast notes. Mouthfeel is light and clean, crisply carbonated. Taste is very nice for style, with banana, cloves, and some vague coriander. Crisp carbonation swirls everything into a refreshing Hefe that is ideal with the platter of wursts from the kitchen. Very much like a good German brewed Hefe.

06-15-2006 17:40:25 | More by merlin48
jayhawk73

Maryland

3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours a light yellow w/ a nice two finger white head. Good carbonation and lacing. Hazy in appearance. Nose is that of banana, clove, wheat, yeast and malt. Very smooth beer. Taste is the same profile as the nose. Very refreshing and drinkable beer. Feel has a smooth/crisp vibe that I didn't care for as much. Overall this is a good beer for the style, and I'd drink it again.

09-07-2011 17:24:18 | More by jayhawk73
MattyG85

3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from 11.2 oz. green bottle into a Sam Adams "Perfect Pint" glass.

Appearance: Pours a bright and very hazy golden orange with lots of rising bubbles. Big four fingers of white head with good retention. Leaves some nice lacing around the glass.

Smell: A fairly sweet aroma. Wheat grains, yeast, and bready malts. Hints of banana, hay, bubblegum, lemon, and orange along with a solid bready biscuit presence. A little bit of a clove and pepper like spice. Light noble hops. Also a little bit of that skunk smell from the green bottle.

Taste: Nice bready taste from wheat grains, malts, and yeast. Notes of bananas, lemon, bubblegum, hay, and orange peel. Some light clove spices. Hop presence is very subdued. Moderately sweet taste with some nice fruit esters. Light but solid taste you expect from the style.

Mouthfeel: Fairly light body with a moderate amount of carbonation. Creamy, crisp, and somewhat dry. Very smooth.

Overall: A pretty solid take on the style. Well balanced with some nice esters. Needs to switch to a dark bottle though.

07-12-2012 05:06:06 | More by MattyG85
dren

Indiana

3.98/5  rDev +7.6%

I had a liter of this for my second beer at the Newport location. Not much of a head but it was in the liter mug. Smelled like your typical wheat but stronger. Bananas, cloves, slight citrus and as someone else mentioned, bubblegum. Couldn't quite put my finger on it until I read that. The beer was thicker than some I have had in the past so I would say medium boddied. A stronger banana flavor than most. I really enjoyed this brew and place it in the top 5 wheats that I have had. I have had this out of the bottle and it is night and day when comparing to what I had on tap. I'd have had another if I could have fit it in my stomach after the sauerbraten.

04-13-2007 17:35:59 | More by dren
kbeals

3.98/5  rDev +7.6%

A - Pours out a hazy golden color. About four fingers of fizzy white head. Very little lacing.
S - Smell was very grainy/yeasty, a slight touch of alcohol in the smell.
T - Taste was also grainy, finished with a slight fruity zing to it. Overall, a pretty pleasing taste to it.
M - The beer was pretty smooth, a good amount of carbonation present.
D - I would definitely drink more of these. An excellent summer beer.

07-11-2008 00:10:20 | More by kbeals
SheepNutz

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

I had this on tab at the Hofbrauhaus Newport in a .5L Weizen glass. There was a wedge of lemon in the glass, which I didn't really like. I wish that they would have put it on the rim of the glass instead. The color was a bright cloudy yellow. Even with the lemon floating in my glass (before I fished it out) there was about 2 good fingers of head, and a good amount of lace left on the glass. The smell is a good fruity aroma, you can smell a lemon scent even without the actual lemon. The taste is a little bit of lemon/citrus with more malt than hops. It is a very refreshing beer. The mouthfeel is a little light, but the drinkability is great. This is a nice summer refresher.

11-01-2004 21:53:01 | More by SheepNutz
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

This beer poured a hazy slightly golden yellow color with a small head that fell to coat the top. The nose was nice, iwth a healthy dose of banana and clove. I really like the smell. The flavor was good creamy banana with a nice crisp finish. The feel was good and creamy. Nice body on it. Overall, a very nice clean hefe.

03-21-2005 01:43:02 | More by kmpitz2
luvGoldenMonkey

4.1/5  rDev +10.8%

Really enjoyed this beer. Drinkability allowed me to easily finish the larger size. Appearance was expected, as was mouthfeel.

Slight aromas complimented the light flavor for a Hefeweizen.

Went well with tillapia and would seemingly compliment most foods.

07-14-2008 19:23:22 | More by luvGoldenMonkey
SimplySinister

4.28/5  rDev +15.7%

A - Extremely cloudy, lightly carbonated, golden in color. Hazy.

S - Typical Hefe (Banana, Spice.) Though this Hefe does not seem as pronounced. Considering I somewhat dislike the banana bomb smell it was a very pleasent surprise. Very unique.

T - What can I say- I really like it! Quite frankly, I think this Hefe may be in my top 5.

M - Full bodied at the front of the mouth but deceptively thin at the finish.

D - For a Hefe I'd say this one rates very high on the drinkability scale.

If you want a Hefe that is not too overpowering then this is the one for you.

01-29-2013 19:47:31 | More by SimplySinister
eb003

4.38/5  rDev +18.4%

Looks like I'm rating this a bit higher than most. This is one of my favorites, actually. I don't find it quite as good as the Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse, but it's still a great beer. I think the color is very good for this type of brew. I don't place as much importance to how long the head lasts as other beer drinkers...I'm more into the flavor and drinkability. Overall this is not the very best beer I've had, but it's still pretty darn good. I think it's also a good buy for the price. Still one of my favs.

12-01-2005 03:59:02 | More by eb003