Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier - Hofbräuhaus München

Hofbräu OktoberfestbierHofbräu Oktoberfestbier

Hofbräuhaus München visit their website

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

Reviews: 542 | Hads: 1,254
2.89/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a very transparent slightly-amber color with a small white head. The smell has some caramel and roasted malt with a tinge of European hops. The taste is somewhat malty and there are some faded pilsner-type hops. Mouthfeel is quite light without much going on. Low carbonation. Drinkability is quite low--too thin of a mouthfeel without much taste.

2.89/5  rDev -14.5%

A: Finger and half of clean white head that slowly dissipates. Brilliant yellow in color, completely clear.

S: Smells like sweet biscuits, with a touch of banana. A little bit of spice detected.

T: Sweet, biscuity shines through. Tastes a little skunky, probably due to the green bottles. Pretty crisp finish.

M: Pretty thin feeling, plenty of carbonation. Crisp, clean finish.

O: Would probably like this beer more if it wasn’t a green bottle as you can taste the skunk. Overall, not too bad and pretty easy to drink. I wish it was served with the blond on the 6-pack.

2.88/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A--Pours a decent two and a half finger frothy snow-white head that lasted pretty well and left some lacing. Body=do what now? This is the color of Budweiser, whih is to say pale goldenrod. Much, much lighter than I thought it would be, and than the style I thought dictated. Oh well.

S--Mostly sweetly alcoholic with hints of corn, pretty much a cloying astringency on the nose. I couldn't detect any hops.

T--Um, huh? I don't get it--this tastes like a slightly more hoppy, less watery MGD to me. Lots of corn and rice without much of a toast or roast in the malt coming through. The six pack tells me this was brewed under the German purity law, but I taste Crispix up front and throughout. Finishes clean and crisp with a hint of hop bitterness, but really, the complexity here is almost nil. Lots of sweet with the alcohol peeking through toward the end.

M--Thicker than an American macro, and less carbonated. Less metallic, too, though the generic flavor suggests this was made in steel tanks the size of Eastern Iowa. Actually the mouthfeel wasn't too bad, though thinner than I would expect for the style.

D--Well, yeah, I could polish off more than my fair share of these, but for about half the price I could have about the same experience with what I can find around the corner at a Bodega.

I paid ten bucks for six of these? Oh well, it's better than Corona.

2.87/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours yellow with a poor white head. Smells grainy, with a hint of apples, and some skunk is present too. The taste is slightly tart and sweet, with some bitterness, and some skunk and sulphur tones in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is suprisingly heavy, but not extremely so. Drinkability is decent despite it's flaws. Ok, so this is oktoberfest beer, right? This beer would pass for pilsner. Probably a pretty fair pilsner, but oktoberfest? This almost seems like a mix up at the brewery to me. I gotta give low marks, just based on style, not so much because it's a bad beer.

2.86/5  rDev -15.4%

Hofbräu - Oktoberfest

Brewed and bottled in Munich, Germany. This is another one I've dranken by the barrel over the years. But unlike the Weihenstephaner, I'm dissapointed in this one - at least the first 6-pack I picked up this year. I'm still trying to figure out if it's intentional, or if my beer went skunk - either way, it was suprisingly bitter. It had the very hoppy bitterness that I always dislike in an IPA. My Dad was over last weekend and he commented that this one had the "typical Hofbräu Hause bitter hops taste too. Maybe it's more of an aquired taste? I've been to the actual Hofbräu Hause in Munich probably a dozen times and I've always loved the beer, so I'm not sure what's up here. I will say that poping a few more later in the evening seemed to get much better. Maybe I was letting them breathe more, or maybe the 6.3% ABV was starting to kick in. Maybe it's intentionally bitter to hide the high ABV and I just never noticed before?

This was another crystal clear, blondish-yellow beer. I'm going to try to have to dig up some more of my old pics from Germany, because I remember these being much darker in color too. There are some numbers stamped on the label, but nothing I can discern as a date. In any case I think I'll be passing on this one until I can find my way back to Germany again.

2.85/5  rDev -15.7%

Pours out a light and transparent pale straw color with a flash head and no lacing. Light body and medium-light carbonation levels.

It does smell slightly of skunkiness but mostly has a medium-level soft bread dough and floral hopping aroma. The flavor follows suit, but has a garnish twist of apple esters at the back end with some light amount of boozy heat. It's not a bold or amazing beer by any stretch of the imagination, but it suffers badly from style mismatch to the expected marzen standard. (Where are the toasted nutty qualities?) And the green glass bottle certainly doesn't help in terms of skunkiness. I can't really recommend this one, sadly. It might have been better than average when it began it's journey across the Atlantic, but it certainly didn't stay that way.

2.85/5  rDev -15.7%

Disappointingly green bottle pours out a tarnished golden body with a small, loose, off-white head that doesn't last long. Skunky hops over honey-covered biscuits and cookie dough. Spicy hop bitterness up front. Cookie dough and apple malts mid-palate. Apple sweetness crescendos into a slightly skunky, spicy hop finish. Moderate body with a slightly sticky feel. Probably better fresh at the hofbrauhaus!

2.84/5  rDev -16%

11.2oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. No recognized bottle date.

(A)- Pours a crystal clear pale straw yellow color that produced a great 2+finger white bubbly head that left lacing behind as it quickly dissipated. Whats with the color? Doesnt look like an oktoberfest.

(S)- A very dry pale ale character of a woody very subdued pine with a bit of lemon peel. Where's the malt?

(T)- Very dry with an ample hop bitterness with a light twinge of lemon and a mineral funk. I thought this was an Oktoberfest, not a pale ale?!

(M)- Dry, bitter, sweet, and funky with good carbonation. Tastes great, but is nowhere near what an Oktoberfest should be like.

(D)- Is this really an oktoberfest? Its more like a pale ale to me. . . . Its good, but doesnt fit the style at all. I would have given it better scores in both appearance, smell,and taste, but this beer just doesnt fit its declared style at all. At first I thought it was just old, but then there would be alot of malt characters, instead its totally dry and hoppy :/
Definitely not what I would choose when picking out a good oktoberfest.

2.83/5  rDev -16.3%

I was really excited to try this beer. I’ve been to the beer hall. I’ve danced on the table. I’ve sang with the band. I quaffed dunkel from a stone stein. That said, I’m deeply disappointed with this beer. The color was golden, not amber, or copper but golden. It does put a nice head on it, but no lace to speak of. The nose is hops, not malt. The taste is crisp with some malt sweetness coming in the middle of the experience, but this tastes more of a pilsner than an Oktoberfest. It has a light mouth feel, and is generally drinkable, but it is NOT an Oktoberfest. What gives? I love their lager and Maibock. I was pleasantly surprised by their Hefeweizen, but this is way off.

2.83/5  rDev -16.3%

A - Light clear gold with a fairly large, foamy, cloud-like, white head. Pretty good retention with a thin, foamy layer of lace left.

S - Pale malt with some bready flavors. Also good amount of grainy aroma. Hints of some grassy hops, but not much. Some mineral type aroma and a good amount of sulfur/skunky aroma.

T - Similar to the nose. A lot of sweet pale malt with some cracker/bread malt taste. Pretty sweet. Sulfur and skunky flavors are also fairly present. Very faint hop presence. Finishes with a touch more hop flavor and a bit of a mineral taste as well.

M - Lighter body with a good amount of carbonation. Somewhat crisp, but a little thin and watery.

D - Not too bad to drink, but it doesn't inspire me to drink more. Easy to drink, and not very offensive lighter beer.

Notes: Definitely not a Märzen. For what it is, it is average at best. Not really that great, and really it is just a lower end German Pilsner. Green bottle no doubt lead to the slightly skunked taste.

2.83/5  rDev -16.3%

Tis the season for Oktoberfest, might as well open one up. This wasn't available when when I visited the Munich Hofbrauhaus around Christmas.

Appearance: Very clear, golden in color. Thin head, with mediocre retention and no lacing.

Smell: Grainy, almost adjuncty, with some "green" and spicy hops underneath. I was expecting a lot more malt from this style. You might be forgiven for thinking this was supposed to be a pilsner.

Taste: Surprisingly sweet on the palate. A bit of cooked vegetable or sweet corn - can't be adjunct, due to the rheinhetsgebot. Alcohol comes through a bit strong, considering it's just 6%.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body, actually quite creamy. Lingering aftertaste.

Drinkability: Not very impressed with this one. I was expecting something more.

2.83/5  rDev -16.3%

A - light yellow color, light carbonation.

S - Neutral without ant distinct notes.

T - Bland upfront but had a slight bitter aftertaste. High ABV was barley detectable.

M - Light and watery, similar to a Budweiser.

O - This beer is an easy drinker with a fairly high ABV. Has refreshing properties but is very simple in structure.

2.82/5  rDev -16.6%

355ml bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a very pale yellow with no head or lace. Looks like dirty water.

Smell is slight vegetal and a bit of hops.

Taste is metallic sourness on top of some weak hop notes. This does not have an Oktoberfest flavor at all.

Mouthfeel is fine.

Not overly offensive, just very plain and Heineken like. Green bottles are no good! Not recommended.

2.82/5  rDev -16.6%

L: Clear golden and with good carbonation coming from bottom with lacing on the rim.
S: faint and unremarkable staw and bread
T: Like an upgraded American Adjunct beer with better carbonation.
F: perfect mouthfeel and carbonation for what it is...

O: After having other well-known Oktoberfest offerings from Germany, Hofbrau is at the bottom of the totem pole in that regard. It performs well versus American adjunct lagers (and Becks).

2.82/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

11.2 oz (GREEN >_<) bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear straw color. The head is a finger high, with a white shade and a creamy texture. Retention isn't that good, but it leaves behind nice lacing. (3.75)

Smell: *sigh* It's fairly skunked. When I try to focus away from the skunk (it's hard to do), it smells like a pretty typical wiesn, which means it has a combination of sweet, bready malts and a minor noble hoppiness. For those of you who don't know what a wiesn is, it's basically a light-colored oktoberfest and bears a resemblance to a stronger Munich helles lager, whereas the marzen (AKA the variant most people think of when told to describe a fest beer) is amber-colored and very caramel-esque in its flavor tones.

Anyways, skunk bad, skunk real bad. (2.25)

Taste: A fairly simple beer: it starts with notes of white bread and table sugar, while the finish is vaguely hoppy. I'm also getting touches of bubblegum. The flavor doesn't seem as badly skunked here; in general, it's not my kind of mar...oops, I mean wiesn. But by no means is it a bad fest beer. (3)

Mouthfeel: When I don't focus on its initial sweetness, I find it to be dry. Really dry, actually. And that's good! This is the kind of beer that should be easy to put down. Carbonation is medium. (3)

Overall: I really dig a good fest beer: they're all about drinking mug after mug in rapid succession, without a care in the world. This can get the job done, but you'd have to overlook the skunk first, and that's hard to do. But hey, a keg will be skunk-free...just saying in case those of you reading this review still want to try it. (2.75)

2.84/5: Even without taking the skunk into consideration, I'd still prefer a good marzen over this one

Original review 11-14-2005
Revised 2011-10-04

Pours a golden yellow color, surprising for this style. 2cm head of dense bubbles that dissipates in less than thirty seconds, but a perpetual white froth remains with some lacing streaking the sides of the glass. Very visible and active carbonation with no murkiness or visible sediment.

Initial aroma is of light skunkiness (green bottles, why?), but after this, some faint hints of malt sweetness. That's about it.

The taste opens with an extremely slight touch of vanilla that blends into a hot, grainy cereal flavor. This transitions to a sweetness that borders on cloying. Begins close with a light, but upfront grain-laden bread and very mild bittering hops at the end. Aftertaste is fairly bland, mildly sweet.

Light to medium mouthfeel, slightly watery. Carbonation vigorous at first, but fades as the beer warms. Finish is semi-dry.

Overall, the Hofbrau is drinkable in the sense that it's gentle on the palate and is flavorful enough to be mildly enjoyable. My two reviews have generally not been kind to this, and I don't see a need to revisit for a third. I might try again if on tap, that's it. There are other Oktoberfests available (even locally) that I vastly prefer over this one.

2.81/5  rDev -16.9%

A - pours a crystal clear pale golden color. Thick 3 fingers worth of pearly white foam dissipates slowly to a ring around the rim leaving behind spotty lacing.

S - skunky and herbal European hops dominate the nose. Probably in part to this being packaged in a green glass. Beyond the pungent dead skunk there are notes of pleasant leafy greens and crispy bread crust.

T - grainy and doughy flavors mingle on the tip of the tongue. Skunk in the middle. Leafy green hop notes on the backend.

M - crisp texture. Medium bodied. High carbonation.

O - an average mass produced lager. Didnt cost me anything so thats a plus. But the skunk flavor/aroma is just way to pervasive to be a pleasurable beverage.

2.8/5  rDev -17.2%

This poured out as an amber colored brew. with a fluffy head that settles down a little after a few sips. The beer to me tasted much like any other German Pilsner. I was hoping that it would have had some other more festive flavors in it but I wasn't able to get much from it. The mouthfeel was medium to light and the smell was fresh and yeasty.

2.8/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap @ The Beer Engine.  Served in a pint glass.

When the waitress brought me the pint, I was sure she had made some sort of mistake.  I ordered an Oktoberfest and I got a pale gold beer.  On further examination, it was evident she didn't mess up, but some would say Hofbrau did.  The beer looks nothing like just about every other beer in this style, and has just a small film of head and poor lace.  The pale, clear look had me saying aloud - "WTF"?

The beer started to make up ground on the smell.  It has some hints of grainy malt and some floral hops, but no real toasted character.  Honestly, it's much more in line with the German Pilsner style than the Oktoberfest/Marzen style of beer.

The taste is equally confusing - grain, floral noble hops, and a kiss of caramel in the finish.  But, like the smell, one of the biggest components is missing - there is no toast.  It's not rich either.  It's just sweet and light and really missing the mark IMO.

The beer features a lower carbonation than I would like and a medium body.  The mouthfeel is ok, but the finish is sweet and that looses point from what could have been at least one redeeming aspect of this weird bird.   So, this beer is not bad.  It's not offensive, and it's fresh and decent without the style guidelines in focus.  But, to review this properly, I have to refer to how an Oktoberfest beer should taste, smell, and look.  This just completely misses that mark.

2.79/5  rDev -17.5%

Was surprised to see this beer pour a bright golden color out of the green (sigh) 330 mL bottle. Closer examination of the label reveals this to be an ale, rather than the amber Oktoberfest/Maerzen lager that one would expect from a beer by this name. Overall, it is a drinkable light-colored ale sharing some characteristics with a Koelsch, but with a noticeably higher ABV, greater mouthfeel and somewhat subdued carbonation.

2.78/5  rDev -17.8%

Bottle picked up from LCBO as part of the fall releases.

Pours a pale, clear yellow. Plenty of head produced which dissipates quickly. Good carbonation with minimal lacing.
Nose is rather bland. Smells like a pale ale would. Alcohol scent dominates.
Tastes much the same, a light bitterness and a distinct ale flavour. Hops are listed in the ingrediants but are almost non-existant. Some presence of the barley malt is noticeable.
Mouthfeel is light and watery.
Overall I would say dissapointing. Very bland offering that I'll avoid in the future.

2.78/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

6 pack acquired at Lukas Liquor near me parents' gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are average given the brewery and style. 6.3% ABV confirmed. 11.2 fl oz green glass (ugh...) bottle with branded pry-off cap served into a slender paulaner weissbier glass. "Brewed & bottled by: Staatliches Hofbrauhaus In München, Germany."

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours an eight finger wide head of white colour. Good thickness and frothiness. Nice creaminess. No lacing as the head recedes. Retention is superb - about 8+ minutes.

Body colour is a clear textbook copper of average vibrance. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Looks pretty standard for a festbier. Looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Grains and cereals are definitely dominate here at the expense of the other notes (of which there aren't many). Straw, clean barley, munich malts, pilsner malts, and a minimal presence of neutral hops - saaz, maybe? I'm bad at guessing specific hops. A mediocre aroma of average strength.

No alcohol or yeast character is detectable.

T: Grainy and cereal-laden - true to the aroma. Munich and pilsner malts. Very minimal (hardly noticeable) neural/lightly floral hop character. Straw. Clean barley. Flavour profile is somewhat balanced, if painfully simple. Certainly bland and boring for the style. Definitely comes across as a phoned-in representation of the style. Zero complexity or subtlety here.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

Below average depth of flavour. Pretty average intensity and duration thereof.

Mf: Smooth, wet, and somewhat undercarbonated. Kind of refreshing. Body is a bit subpar. Okay thickness. Chewy. Presence on the palate is merely okay. There's a lot of room for improvement, but execution is okay overall. Suits the flavour profile alright in a general sense.

Dr: A tourist, internationally exported version of a style meant to be endemic. Worth trying? Sure, as a middle ground representation of a festbier. But it's far from great and I wouldn't buy it again. That said, I'll have little trouble killing the 6 pack and it might make a good beer for luring macro drinkers towards craft - even if the "ooh, it's German" effect is all that works for it. It's certainly drinkable - any self-respecting beer fanatic could easily kill a litre of it. But boy does it have ways to go.

Low C

2.78/5  rDev -17.8%

green bottle into old spec pint glass

A - golden straw body with a big white head. the foam retains for a decent amount of time, but that body colour is just all wrong.

S - I smell something distinctively like a skunk when I opened the bottle. I can still smell it when the beer isnt to my nose. when it is held up to my nose the brew has a blast of somethign like a cheap pine air freshner, which goes away as soon as the kind of bland malts set in. I also distinctively smell unripe mango, which is very weird; maybe this is what skunked hops smell like, I wonder how i think it is mango?

T - despite the smell, the taste isnt as bad as I thought it would be; overall it is just kind of bland and boring. the initial is a decent balance of hops and malts, the hops only pinch with a bit of bitterness. the finish is malty and slightly sweet. the aftertaste is a faint maltiness. quite boring, and not a festbier.

MF&D - a decently thick brew with enough carbonation, the only problem is that it isnt a very good tasting brew for an oktoberfest beer. this would, however, make an excellent euro lager.

2.77/5  rDev -18%

A: Poured a clear golden color with a half finger of white head. A total miss on appearance for me.

S: It has that green bottle musty nose. The apples and fruit is there but way in the back.

T: Very clean and crisp. Only downside is that it should be deep and rich. Not bad but more like a euro lager than a Marzen.

M: Light on the tongue. No syrupy tone I like to get in this style.

D: An easy drinker for sure but a total miss style wise for me. Glad I only grabbed a single.

2.76/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a light coloured body with initial significant foam. Aroma initially a bit repelling, but is normal after the bottle has been open, warmed up, and sampled somewhat. A bit of lace foam sits in the glass. Carbonation is deterimental, and adds to the drying out of the palate by the finish, and beyond in the aftertaste. Some malts, a hint of roast, some decent features. Still, all in all, 500 ml is too much, rarely have I said this about a German beer.

Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier from Hofbräuhaus München