1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier - Hofbräuhaus München

Hofbräu OktoberfestbierHofbräu Oktoberfestbier

Hofbräuhaus München visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 851 | Reviews: 479 | Show All Ratings:
amphion1065

2.42/5  rDev -28.6%

Draft pour into a Hofbrau branded mug - this one was definitely over the 0.5 liter line. God I love Magoun's. Reviewed from notes.

Looks quite different from any oktoberfest I've ever seen; as the bartender was pouring my mug, I had to check twice to make sure she'd selected the correct tap. Pours a pale yellow that's quite clear, almost like an adjunct lager. A frothy, one-finger white head tops it off.

From smell alone this is quite reminiscent of a pilsner, though I would if that perception is just psychomatic. There is a very clear grassy, earthy hop aroma alongside what seems to be pilsner malt. A touch of pepper and spice reminds me of what style of beer I'm drinking.

The taste is surpsingly sweetness, almost to the point of being cloying and overpowering. There's a very clean bready, biscuit character to the malt bill that's actually quite refrshing, but that saccharine sweetness obscures it almost entirely. The hop profile from the aroma seems almost entirely absent in the taste.

Mouthfeel is a little dead, and more carbonation might help this. In any event, I couldn't imagine being able to drink too much of this.

Quite a departure from the style, and an unsuccessful departure at that. The mug, however, is awesome.

09-29-2011 20:41:30 | More by amphion1065
JerzDevl2000

2.38/5  rDev -29.8%

Octoberfest: Say the word and you probably think of lederhosen, big parties with communal tables, beer girls dressed in traditional garb, and a brew like this. I sure did so when I saw this available via the single bottle, I figured that this would be a great brew to enjoy the season with, even if I couldn't get to a real event like those in Germany attend every year. Like so many others on here, I was let down by this beer from the moment I poured it out. I know that Marzens aren't the highest rated brews on here, but I do expect an imported offering like this to have some taste, body, and drinkability to it!

Light pour to this was a good head and lacing that was better than expected. Those were the best aspects of this beer as the aroma was practically nonexistent and the head faded fairly quickly. Marzen's tend to be a bit thin in the mouthfeel for me but even this didn't match up to my less-than-lofty expectations. There was straw, grass, and floral notes to this beer but I couldn't wonder how much of the taste had to do with the green bottle. Sure enough, this tasted skunked as soon as I took a sip and because this hadn't been on the shelf that long, I think that spoke more about the beer than the presentation of it. Further tasting of this led me to wonder what style it was, since it reminded me of an Adjunct Lager in every aspect. The filler seemed less than up to standards and the aftertaste was sour enough to beg for a chaser - any type that would alleviate the lingering and uneasy bitterness.

I have no idea how something this bad could be so strong in the alcohol department. This is not the kind of beer I would want to get drunk on and even though the carbonation didn't detract from the taste, this wasn't something that I could down very quickly. Maybe I'm not up to snuff on my appreciation of this style but after seeing how low this was rated on here, I'm thinking that this beer is about a big a letdown as they get.

10-12-2011 20:28:55 | More by JerzDevl2000
patra7

Greece

2.35/5  rDev -30.7%

Appearance: Thick white head about 1 inch, yellow/gold color. Clear.
Smell: Hops, grassy and perhaps slightly acidic.
Taste: Hoppy / bitter at first but then more malty and definitely semi-sweet. The two tastes (sweetness and bitterness… or was it acidity?) didn’t seem to complement but rather… fight each other in an “unbalanced” / weird short of way. As if both were there but without any willingness to work together
Mouthfeel: First feel, at the tip of the tongue, is rather sharp, but then it gets smoother. Overall medium body.
Drinkability: The more I got down to it the less I liked it. Maybe it had gone bad, although the expiration date was still 3-4 months away.

05-06-2011 23:21:07 | More by patra7
bobsy

Ontario (Canada)

2.3/5  rDev -32.2%

In which world this is an oktoberfest I do not know.

Pours a brilliant gold with an eggshell white head, which leaves a few streaks of lace as it settles to a collar. Lazy bubbles rise to the surface before bursting into free air. No dark coloured o-fest here, more of a helles or pils than anything, but moving on.

The aroma is grassy, and one would say, almost skunky. Its hard to tell whether this is intentional or a result of the green bottle, but either way its how the beer arrived to me (green bottles be damned). Beyond the grassiness there is a robust maltiness to be found, but we're still far removed from the nose of your regular oktoberfest.

The clincher is the taste. Serve me this blind and I'd say it was a decent Czech Pils. Give it to me in the context of an Oktoberfest and I'd ask whether your joking. A strong grassiness overlays sweet pale malts. The finish is sweet and mildly bready. The body is medium light with carbonation at about the same level, but at this point the beer has already lost the plot and been derailed by its pure inability to carry the style off.

For some reason I imagined that Hofbrau's Oktoberfest would have been one of the greats for the style, but I'm sadly disappointed. This was crap.

10-21-2009 00:01:07 | More by bobsy
jpkoch1962

Indiana

2.28/5  rDev -32.7%

This is no Oktoberfest Bier. It pours a straw yellow with a quick disappearing head. The aroma was a mix of flowery hops, some dry crackers and a bit of toffee. The body was thin with little mouth feel. The tast was the same as the body, thin, slightly sweet with just a tinge of dry bitterness at the end. This so-called Oktoberfest Bier was, in other words, just a normal Industrial Euro-Lager with an Oktoberfest label.

09-14-2009 19:08:31 | More by jpkoch1962
budgood1

2.25/5  rDev -33.6%

pale straw in color, no head and no lace. euro skunk aroma with very little head and no lace. this is an o-fest? seems more like mass produced euro-crap with a hint of some munich malt. this is not a bad beer in general but an abomination of an o-fest. in fact it tastes nothing like an o-fest. i'd have trouble discerning between this most other euro lagers. nothing special.

10-16-2002 17:26:21 | More by budgood1
slassy

2.2/5  rDev -35.1%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours single finger head that dissipates quickly, leaving little foam on top. A golden honey color.

S: Very grainy, almost sour even.

T: Sour and leafy tasting. Almost makes your chin pucker half way through if you drink it too fast.

M: Lightly carbonated, extremely smooth, goes down effortlessly. Clean and dry finish.

O: My first Marzen, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. However, not really what I was expecting from an Okotoberfest beer (weak in my mind). One plus I will give it is that it wouldn't be bad for a long, all-day drinking session, as it wouldn't be hard to put many of these away.

09-12-2011 03:48:08 | More by slassy
deebo

2.18/5  rDev -35.7%

A-served in a stein this one has much less color than most-definitely more golden than amber. The white head quickly is gone leaving hints of lace on the glass.
S-not a lot going on here-very light on the sweet malt, very pale
T-same as aroma
M-fairly clean finish, otherwise pretty average across the board
O-Really surprised that even on tap this one has some hints of skunk. One of my least favorite marzens

10-19-2012 02:12:52 | More by deebo
Tballz420

2.15/5  rDev -36.6%

Jezuz F-ine Christopherson, another Oktober in a green bottle!? What is going on Germany?

Hofbrau Oktoberfestbier is a deep gold colored beer, very clear, small white head, a bit of lace. The nose has a distracting amount of skunk in it, topping a bland pale lager scent. The taste has me shaking my head, more skunk, a bit of a nicer malt profile than the Spaten, but not by much. Ugh, what the fuck Germany?

08-27-2011 01:05:46 | More by Tballz420
tophers

2.15/5  rDev -36.6%

Green bottle...can't wait. Hoping it wasn't sunked, but alas no such luck. Moderate amount of skunkiness in the aroma with some malt background. The skunkiness came over in the flavor too. Would like to try this from the tap in Germany as I think it would be a really great beer if it was packaged better.

09-14-2012 22:30:55 | More by tophers
aasher

Indiana

2.13/5  rDev -37.2%

I poured this one against my better judgment. I normally NEVER drink anything out of a green bottle but I took a leap of faith. It pours a watery piss, straw yellow with a light white head. It smells just like Coors Light. The taste isn't quite as bad, but it's not very good. It's got very little character and is slightly sweet, as if they poored honey into a lager. The mouthfeel is very light and crisp. It has good carbonation. Overall this is a very poor Oktoberfest and not very drinkable. I expect better from Hofbrau.

09-27-2010 23:20:38 | More by aasher
JDV

2.1/5  rDev -38.1%

Hmmm... mine came in a green bottle and was slightly skunky. I'm pretty sure somebody poured a heineken or red stripe into this hofbrau bottle, b/c that is exactly what it tasted like. Nothing like an Oktoberfest/Marzen I've had before.. Looks and smells like a pale lager. Some yeastiness, some light malt and faint bitterness, and while not offensive aside from the light skunking, this is a horrible example of the style and not worth getting at all.

02-24-2008 18:05:02 | More by JDV
DrJay

2.1/5  rDev -38.1%

Crystal clear straw yellow with a short white cap of fine bubbles. Spotty lacing, decent head retention. My first impression is not very good -- this looks way too light in colour for a proper Oktoberfest. Very mild aroma, grainy malt, very faint toast and bread, hint of grassy hops. The flavour was similarly disappointing. The bitterness was alright, on the light side but with good presence, but the malt character was very thin and echoed the aroma. Slightly fruity, but mild flavour overall. The texture was decent, medium to light bodied with moderate carbonation and not overly dry. While I had no problem drinking a bottle of this, it's a poor marzen.

08-29-2010 21:25:00 | More by DrJay
happy4hoppybeer

2.1/5  rDev -38.1%

Pours a lame, non-oktoberfest pale, Americanized-like urine straw yellow, with foamy white head about half a finger thick. Decent retention, solid lacing. I wanted this to have a darker appearance.

Boring, grainy and weak aromas, no hop presence, light on malts. Very grassy. Not impressed.

Stupid grainy taste, very little malts, no hop areas at all. Thin body with heavy carbonation.

The supposed 6.3% ABV is about all this is good for. Oktoberfest-Marzen my butt, this really just a pale lager, and not very good.

Serving type: nitro-tap

09-12-2011 20:22:16 | More by happy4hoppybeer
jsh420

2.08/5  rDev -38.6%

pours bright clear golden yellow with a 2 finger fizzy white head that faded to a film and left some spotted lacing

smells just like a german pils?? light grains and lemon citus hops

taste - where is the toasted malts?(did they forget to do that) again tastes just like a normal pils - very disappointing

mouthfeel is light/medium body with good carbonation but not the medium to full body i am expecting

drinkability is not good if you are wanting an marzen on a cool fall night

i dont know whats going on but this is the second german oktoberfest i have had tonight that has not been as good as SA interpretation

09-05-2010 03:16:18 | More by jsh420
KonigObHops

2.05/5  rDev -39.5%

After enjoying Sam Adams's Oktoberfest this year, I had a craving for an old friend... Spaten Oktoberfest... but I live in Columbus, OH and it is not easy to find a good selection of imports. Anderson's had Hofbrau Oktoberfestbier so I decided to give it a try... especially since my wife and I have had a few at the actual Hofbrauhaus.

As soon as I poured the beer I knew that I was in trouble. The beer is a medium straw color with a fluffy white head.

The Oktoberfestbier smells like a pilsner. There is nothing toasted at all in there, and I should be smelling some caramel notes at this point, but I've got nothing except a slight citris smell.

The initial taste has a slightly toasted taste to it, but otherwise it is very light and pilsneresque.

The middle is slghtly heavier and not as dry as a pilsner, but there is nothing to the body that makes this beer stand out as an Oktoberfest.

The end of the beer is where I would really hope for a hevier feel and some nice caramel notes. They just aren't there. This beer starts and finishes as your standard Pilsner would.

What a shame. This beer is from the home of Oktoberfest, but it just isn't as good as the Sam Adams I had earlier in the month... and I am still craving my Spaten. I would not reccomend this beer.

10-10-2010 00:21:06 | More by KonigObHops
BWH3

2.03/5  rDev -40.1%

A: Very good for a light larger. Golden, clear, puffy creamy head that slowly fades into the still waters. Not as amber as most Octoberfest beers is one slight.

S: Weak hint of musty noble German hops. And that is it.

T: It got worse. The taste has a nice effervescence to it but the malt character is minimal and the hops are only slightly more present. I hate to criticize one of the Big Six Octoberfest brewers but this just seems all wrong. It's only saving grace is that is not overtly offensive. I would be hard pressed to pick this over Bud or MGB although the water is of high quality

M: The carbonation is very pleasing to the mouth (unlike the above mentioned US macros). The carbonation lasts enough.

D: If you are on a quest to consume all the Octoberfest beer you can get your hands on this fall (my personal goal), then by all means drink away. If you are looking for a good beer, pass it over.

09-16-2008 22:58:40 | More by BWH3
brentk56

2.03/5  rDev -40.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear pale golden color with a very modest head; not much lacing, either

Smell: Skunky aroma - what would you expect from a green bottle?

Taste: The initial malt flavor, which is not bad, makes way for the skunky aspects, with a lager twang, to boot; overall, this does not taste much like an Oktoberfest after the initial moments

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: I hate to say it but this is an abomination of the style; steer clear

11-19-2008 03:00:28 | More by brentk56
MeisterBurger

Ontario (Canada)

2.03/5  rDev -40.1%

Pours a surprisingly pale orangey yellow topped by an ample, rocky white head that laces and retains wonderfully.

It smells like a pint of Stella Artois that is sitting on a table in another room. Floral. Sweet. Skunky. But it's subtle and somewhat artificial.

The taste is very Czech pilsner. Sweet biscuity malt against floral, grassy hops with something approaching lemon rind in the finish. Some breadiness creeps in as things go along as does some corn. It's not quite awful, but it's close.

It's a medium mouthfeel, well carbonated and yeah. Not bad in this regard I suppose.

I was excited to see the LCBO offering an Oktoberfestbier, but it turns out they didn't. At least, to me this beer has more in common with the myriad of generic Euro lagers they already carry--light struck skunkiness and all--than any of the Oktoberfestbier I have ever had.

Huge disappointment.

10-27-2009 00:32:09 | More by MeisterBurger
samie85

A-Pours a crystal clear golden color with a finger of white head.

S-The slightest hint of cracker-like malt with slight aroma of herbal hops.

T-Bitter, herbal hops with a very minimal light malt backing.

M-Very light bodied, too much carbonation, and none of the sticky, slick feel of a nice marzen.

D-A very disappointing example of the style. I think this might be mis-classified because of the Oktoberfest branding.

09-07-2011 02:39:49 | More by samie85
jujubeast6000

1.98/5  rDev -41.6%

Reviewed 10/4/2008 (Bottle @ Stag's Head):

Pours a body that is a very clear yellow color, extremely pale yellow, with a foamy white colored head, lasting-ish. Has a malty aroma, nutty almost grass-like. Malty taste, nutty, lawn-like. Some fizziness. Not very good.

03-25-2009 00:49:44 | More by jujubeast6000
ScorpyX

Colorado

1.98/5  rDev -41.6%

A: Light golden pour with a thin white head. It came in a green bottle which I somehow failed to notice when I bought. That's worrying.

S: Smells of light damage. Light, lagery scent. Grains apparent.

T: Overcomes the light damage at first, but that skunkiness is in the aftertaste. Darn. Light bread and grain start it off, though, and a little bit of malt. Tastes like a lot of other green-bottled lagers out of Europe. I'm starting to prefer American-style Oktobers. At least out of bottles.

M: Light, crisp mouthfeel. Fairly carbonated, though some of it sticks around on the palate.

D: Pretty much a one and done. Might be better out of a tap, but I won't be taking this out of a bottle again.

09-28-2011 04:51:42 | More by ScorpyX
mwa423

1.88/5  rDev -44.5%

A - Poured into a pint glass with small head, very little retention and a slightly county pale straw color

S - Combination of malt and skunk. Very similar to Beck's

T - Some nut, some malt, the same skunk that was in the aroma.

M - Smooth, but can't really get too interested.

Overall, if you're contemplating picking this up, save a couple bucks and buy Heinekin or Beck's. This is almost dead on Beck's.

01-12-2009 06:37:04 | More by mwa423
Bighuge

1.85/5  rDev -45.4%

It is unbelievable how light colored this oktoberfest is. I've had close to 20 ofests this year and nothing comes close to being this light. It's a pale, pale straw color. Reminds me of a braggot I had last winter. This beer smells light-struck because it is. It comes in a green bottle. Skunky smell. There is no resemblence of a ofest in taste either. There's some of that skunky taste. And after cutting through that, it tastes more like a light lager than an Ofest. The skunkiness isn't overwhelming, thus I gave the drinkability the highest rating of the 5 categories, a 2.5. Not recommended.

09-27-2002 20:05:03 | More by Bighuge
BlackJeremiah

1.83/5  rDev -46%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: A very light golden, surprisingly light. Lots and lots of streamers feeding a thin, white, foamy head. Some lacing, despite the thin head.

S: Ugh. BMC scents--corn, wheat, unsourced bitter smells. No center, no fullness. Smells bad, really bad--not skunked, just bad. Freshness code is L152F 0939, so if this sucker is really old, please disregard. I haven't seen any issues of "held" O-fests around here, though, so I doubt it's a freshness issue.

T: This tastes like Miller High Life. Bland, over-carbonated, corn-flavored water. There's little to no complexity in the malt character at all, no disparate flavors, no hop quality at all. A thin abomination. Really just awful. I would have actually preferred High Life.

M: Light, unnoticeable, watery and weak. I'm so disappointed.

D: Rare drain pour. Could have finished it--it was merely insipid rather than offensive--but I'd much rather spend my time on something else.

10-08-2006 21:13:54 | More by BlackJeremiah