Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier - Hofbräuhaus München

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

Reviews: 556 | Hads: 1,307
2.96/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured from a bottle into a stein (snifter? hey - it's an Oktoberfest). Pour is crystal clear light amber (very light) with a nice thick head. The nose is slightly skunky (darn green glass) with a little bit of clean malt and spice on it.

After smelling this beer, I was all set for a huge disappointment, but it doesn't taste all that bad. The feel is quite firm and the flavor has nice, clean malt notes. Very easy to drink, but not very complex. There's a lemony note on the finish I don't quite care for.

Overall, an average representation of the style. The nose kind of spoils it for me. I expected more.

2.94/5  rDev -13%

The best thing about this beer is the appearance. A big, thick mass of a head looks like bubble bath and has good retention. It fades after a time, leaving some lacing that's respectable, though thinner and less voluminous than I'd expect from the head. The color is a very clear dark yellow.
I've never had one of there and not gotten a skunky aroma. Grains form the back with a weak malt.
The outright flavor is grains, pretty crisp and clean, but the skunk remains. There's a light malt presence and minimal hops.
The body is on the light side of medium. There's a nip of crispness, but otherwise no real impression in the mouthfeel. Pretty tame.

2.94/5  rDev -13%

Pours a very light golden color, similar to a blonde ale or dare I say American Macro. Has zero taste to it at all and is just way too thin in the body and has average drinkability. It'd be hard to tell this from a Beck's or St. Pauli Girl, it's just that run-of-the-mill. I'm sure there's a lot of history with this beer but it's a big miss for me.

2.93/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured into a strange little curvy Hofbrau (pint?) glass.

A: Crystal clear pure golden with a big, pure white head and a little sea of rising bubbles throughout.

S: Funky, sweet, pungent skunkiness with notes of grains and corn.

T: Thankfully, it's better than the taste here. Creamy mouthfeel with whiskey grains, a corny middle and a caramel malt and floral hop finish.

D: Seems like a decent beer to get a sixer of for a ball game or something.

Value: Not great, this should be a buck or so cheaper a sixer.

2.93/5  rDev -13.3%

(This review stems from an Oktoberfestbier tasting on Nov 6, 2010, that included 13 examples of the style, of German and US origin. The variations brew to brew fascinated and surprised)

You'd think they (HB) would be going for drinkability and not drunkability with this Marzen. The bottle wasn't old nor the quality compromised, as far as I can tell. This beer was just simply a struggle to get through.

A pale yellow-gold color (lightest of the lot) and pouring with next to no head. The smell is less than inviting - sweet, vaguely champagne fruity maltiness and potent hot fusel. Not appealing. These aromas concentrate in the flavor, with the sweetness near cloying and quite juicy. Acutely dry, stingy hot finish. Overall, a cheap, high-gravity malt liquor tone to this drink. A little more depth to the flavor than the corn-fed American malt liquors, but not much better. Disappointing.

2.93/5  rDev -13.3%

Clear golden color with a thin white halo head.

Fleeting scent of bread dough and clean notes of earth.

The faintest of maltiness on the palate along with a crisp and somewhat dry hop finish.

Mouthfeel was somewhat effervescent and a tad bitey. Light bodied with a lightning quick finish.

Drinkability is good. No hearty flavors to get in the way of some serious swillin' (if that's what your into).

Overall I was very disappointed with this (my first this year) Oktoberfest. I guess I expected MUCH more malty backbone and a touch of caramel toasted sweetness - none to be found. I have to give credit to the cleanliness of this beer though. To think I picked this over a Sam Adams O'fest. Oh well, it's gotta get better than this.

2.93/5  rDev -13.3%

11.2 ounce bottle - $1.99 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a clear, soft-hued, light yellow body with a small, short-lived, white head. No lacing.

Smell: Quick sniff of skunkiness, though it fades out quickly. A tad grainy pils malts with an edge of anticipated sweetness. Faintly bready. Minor hop character.

Taste: Some cereal sweetness greets the tongue with light hint of honey atop the underlying pilsner maltiness. Slightly leafy, herbal-toned hops with little albeit ample bitterness. Faintly fruity. Drying finish with a gentle hint of alcohol on the swallow.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation.

Overall: Not horrible, no, but, a lackluster example of the style.

2.93/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured from a green 330ml bottle into a pint glass. Bottle has no discernible freshness dating on it.

A: Pours a clear yellow-gold with a white head about 2 fingers in width. Head mitigates after a few minutes to a thin layer. Looks more like a pilsner than an oktoberfest. Minimal lace accumulation on the glass.

S: Primarily a malty biscuit-like smell. Some hops there too. Also has a bit of that imported scent to it.

T: Not what I was expecting for an oktoberfest. Unlike most others I have tried in this style category. Here, the sweet malts are pretty much absent. There are some malt flavors there, but tastes like this one is more hopped and perhaps balanced out more? Somewhat of a grass or straw-like taste as well. Maybe the overseas journey took a toll on this oktoberfest. Whatever the case may be, this one does not stand out in any manner, and strikes me as having more in common with a pilsner than an oktoberfest. If I squint my eyes and concentrate, I can pick up a faint sweet malt taste (honey or maybe caramel), but it seems almost like an afterthought in the overall taste.

M: Mouthfeel is fine. Smooth with good carbonation.

D: Fairly easy drinking, although the taste does not inspire me to pour another.

2.92/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a clear medium golden color with a huge thick white head. The head has fantastic retention, eventually fading to give a moderate level of lacing.

Smell – While it looked fantastic, it was not the best smelling. A strong skunky aroma was mixed with some malt, lemon and slightly sweet smell.

Taste – The taste begins of some caramel sweetness with a strong malty backbone. These flavors last the entire of the taste and mix with some lighter citrus flavors as well as a light hop bitterness that comes to the tongue more toward the end of the taste.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is average in terms of its thickness/creaminess with a slightly higher than average carbonation level. The carbonation is actually quite good for the style and makes for one very refreshing feel.

Overall – Nothing too special here. They should ditch the green bottle to get rid of some of the skunky nose. While rather easy drinking, there are definitely better ones out there.

2.92/5  rDev -13.6%

I was telling my friend about the Oktoberfest beers I have drank and was explaining how pretty they were all dark and red and then out comes this Helles looking beer. WOW was I surprised. It poured a clear, bright yellow that was not quite golden with a firm stand of bright white head.

The aroma was not as rich as I expected. The malts were there but not very strong. Of course, no hop aroma or off smells were present either.

The flavor was more what I was expecting. The beer started sweet but quickly turned a little dry. Once the hop bitterness subsided the sweetness took control again and a sweetness, almost cloying sweetness, lingers.

The mouthfeel is a little too light. It is smooth but again off the mark. And oh yea, the more I drink it the more it is just cloying.

This is an okay beer. I would not recommend it to someone who is trying to get their hands around this style of beer. If you want something by HB buy their Helles.

Dated: Best before L 210 I 08:17
From LCBO, 500ml

G: Chalice

A: Clear golden body much like a lager (adjunct at that) with two fingers of foamy white head. Poor head retention as it settles into a thin blotchy film almost instantly. Leaves moderate lacing.

S: Find it very hard to smell to much of anything here. Sweet malts, hint of citrus. Extremely weak.

T: Grainy hops and caramel malts mix together quite nice. Hints of citrus appear well after. Again quite a weak taste.

M: Medium-light body and high carbonation. The carbonation creates the typical 'sparkling or burning' down the throat while the caramel malts leave a sticky sweet feeling.

D: I was interested to try an Oktoberfest styled beer, but this does not seem to tied over with me to well. Seems like a maltier adjunct to me. None the less the alcohol is not noticeable and it is somewhat refreshing.

2.91/5  rDev -13.9%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass.

Appearance: Very light copper, almost golden color with thick white head that dissipates slowly. Good lacing. Much lighter than other Oktoberfest's I've had.

Smell: Malty, vanilla overtones with a faint fruity (citrus?) background.

Taste: Very fruity and sweet up front. Finishes with a slight roasted flavor, but the overwhelming taste is sweet. Much less roasty than expected. There's a mid-level "twang" (for lack of a better term) that I can't quite define. After a few moments, a bitter throat taste appears.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, not much there.

Drinkability: This is way too sweet for me to have more than one at a time. All of the other Oktoberfest's I've tried have been more satisfying and drinkable.

I guess I thought that perhaps a German Oktoberfest would be closet to the style definition. Either all the others I've tried have it wrong, or this doesn't quite hit the mark. Not a bad beer, by any means, just not what I was expecting.

2.91/5  rDev -13.9%

Had this on-tap at an Octoberfest in Chicago.

Poured a very pale golden color with minimal head, and left almost no lacing down the side of the glass.

The smell is very slightly citrusy to me, and also a bit of yeast, although I cannot detect much more than that.

Taste is of yeast, and some hops, and a whole bunch of carbonation that probably masks whatever else is in there. Really not very impressed with the taste.

Very carbonated mouthfeel, although it is light-tasting and nothing lingers on the palate after you are done swallowing.

A drinkable beer; certainly not near the best. I would call this mediocre, but a fine beer for an outdoor festival with lots of people milling around. I don't think I would ever consume it at home.

2.9/5  rDev -14.2%

Hofbrau's Oktoberfest pours a clear gold with a white head and lots of bubbles. To me, this is a bit too light for the style. The smells is very pilsner-esque, with hints of sour lemon and noble hops.

There is a bit of sweetness in the taste, but a lot of twangy hoppiness takes over. This is not as malty as I would like in an Oktobefest, though the mouthfeel is OK; medium with a mid-high carbonation.

Overall, this is not a great example of the Oktoberfest style. It isn't much different from any other light German lager.

2.89/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a very transparent slightly-amber color with a small white head. The smell has some caramel and roasted malt with a tinge of European hops. The taste is somewhat malty and there are some faded pilsner-type hops. Mouthfeel is quite light without much going on. Low carbonation. Drinkability is quite low--too thin of a mouthfeel without much taste.

2.89/5  rDev -14.5%

A: Finger and half of clean white head that slowly dissipates. Brilliant yellow in color, completely clear.

S: Smells like sweet biscuits, with a touch of banana. A little bit of spice detected.

T: Sweet, biscuity shines through. Tastes a little skunky, probably due to the green bottles. Pretty crisp finish.

M: Pretty thin feeling, plenty of carbonation. Crisp, clean finish.

O: Would probably like this beer more if it wasn’t a green bottle as you can taste the skunk. Overall, not too bad and pretty easy to drink. I wish it was served with the blond on the 6-pack.

2.88/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A--Pours a decent two and a half finger frothy snow-white head that lasted pretty well and left some lacing. Body=do what now? This is the color of Budweiser, whih is to say pale goldenrod. Much, much lighter than I thought it would be, and than the style I thought dictated. Oh well.

S--Mostly sweetly alcoholic with hints of corn, pretty much a cloying astringency on the nose. I couldn't detect any hops.

T--Um, huh? I don't get it--this tastes like a slightly more hoppy, less watery MGD to me. Lots of corn and rice without much of a toast or roast in the malt coming through. The six pack tells me this was brewed under the German purity law, but I taste Crispix up front and throughout. Finishes clean and crisp with a hint of hop bitterness, but really, the complexity here is almost nil. Lots of sweet with the alcohol peeking through toward the end.

M--Thicker than an American macro, and less carbonated. Less metallic, too, though the generic flavor suggests this was made in steel tanks the size of Eastern Iowa. Actually the mouthfeel wasn't too bad, though thinner than I would expect for the style.

D--Well, yeah, I could polish off more than my fair share of these, but for about half the price I could have about the same experience with what I can find around the corner at a Bodega.

I paid ten bucks for six of these? Oh well, it's better than Corona.

2.87/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours yellow with a poor white head. Smells grainy, with a hint of apples, and some skunk is present too. The taste is slightly tart and sweet, with some bitterness, and some skunk and sulphur tones in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is suprisingly heavy, but not extremely so. Drinkability is decent despite it's flaws. Ok, so this is oktoberfest beer, right? This beer would pass for pilsner. Probably a pretty fair pilsner, but oktoberfest? This almost seems like a mix up at the brewery to me. I gotta give low marks, just based on style, not so much because it's a bad beer.

2.86/5  rDev -15.4%

Hofbräu - Oktoberfest

Brewed and bottled in Munich, Germany. This is another one I've dranken by the barrel over the years. But unlike the Weihenstephaner, I'm dissapointed in this one - at least the first 6-pack I picked up this year. I'm still trying to figure out if it's intentional, or if my beer went skunk - either way, it was suprisingly bitter. It had the very hoppy bitterness that I always dislike in an IPA. My Dad was over last weekend and he commented that this one had the "typical Hofbräu Hause bitter hops taste too. Maybe it's more of an aquired taste? I've been to the actual Hofbräu Hause in Munich probably a dozen times and I've always loved the beer, so I'm not sure what's up here. I will say that poping a few more later in the evening seemed to get much better. Maybe I was letting them breathe more, or maybe the 6.3% ABV was starting to kick in. Maybe it's intentionally bitter to hide the high ABV and I just never noticed before?

This was another crystal clear, blondish-yellow beer. I'm going to try to have to dig up some more of my old pics from Germany, because I remember these being much darker in color too. There are some numbers stamped on the label, but nothing I can discern as a date. In any case I think I'll be passing on this one until I can find my way back to Germany again.

2.85/5  rDev -15.7%

Pours out a light and transparent pale straw color with a flash head and no lacing. Light body and medium-light carbonation levels.

It does smell slightly of skunkiness but mostly has a medium-level soft bread dough and floral hopping aroma. The flavor follows suit, but has a garnish twist of apple esters at the back end with some light amount of boozy heat. It's not a bold or amazing beer by any stretch of the imagination, but it suffers badly from style mismatch to the expected marzen standard. (Where are the toasted nutty qualities?) And the green glass bottle certainly doesn't help in terms of skunkiness. I can't really recommend this one, sadly. It might have been better than average when it began it's journey across the Atlantic, but it certainly didn't stay that way.

2.85/5  rDev -15.7%

Disappointingly green bottle pours out a tarnished golden body with a small, loose, off-white head that doesn't last long. Skunky hops over honey-covered biscuits and cookie dough. Spicy hop bitterness up front. Cookie dough and apple malts mid-palate. Apple sweetness crescendos into a slightly skunky, spicy hop finish. Moderate body with a slightly sticky feel. Probably better fresh at the hofbrauhaus!

2.84/5  rDev -16%

11.2oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. No recognized bottle date.

(A)- Pours a crystal clear pale straw yellow color that produced a great 2+finger white bubbly head that left lacing behind as it quickly dissipated. Whats with the color? Doesnt look like an oktoberfest.

(S)- A very dry pale ale character of a woody very subdued pine with a bit of lemon peel. Where's the malt?

(T)- Very dry with an ample hop bitterness with a light twinge of lemon and a mineral funk. I thought this was an Oktoberfest, not a pale ale?!

(M)- Dry, bitter, sweet, and funky with good carbonation. Tastes great, but is nowhere near what an Oktoberfest should be like.

(D)- Is this really an oktoberfest? Its more like a pale ale to me. . . . Its good, but doesnt fit the style at all. I would have given it better scores in both appearance, smell,and taste, but this beer just doesnt fit its declared style at all. At first I thought it was just old, but then there would be alot of malt characters, instead its totally dry and hoppy :/
Definitely not what I would choose when picking out a good oktoberfest.

2.83/5  rDev -16.3%

I was really excited to try this beer. I’ve been to the beer hall. I’ve danced on the table. I’ve sang with the band. I quaffed dunkel from a stone stein. That said, I’m deeply disappointed with this beer. The color was golden, not amber, or copper but golden. It does put a nice head on it, but no lace to speak of. The nose is hops, not malt. The taste is crisp with some malt sweetness coming in the middle of the experience, but this tastes more of a pilsner than an Oktoberfest. It has a light mouth feel, and is generally drinkable, but it is NOT an Oktoberfest. What gives? I love their lager and Maibock. I was pleasantly surprised by their Hefeweizen, but this is way off.

2.83/5  rDev -16.3%

A - Light clear gold with a fairly large, foamy, cloud-like, white head. Pretty good retention with a thin, foamy layer of lace left.

S - Pale malt with some bready flavors. Also good amount of grainy aroma. Hints of some grassy hops, but not much. Some mineral type aroma and a good amount of sulfur/skunky aroma.

T - Similar to the nose. A lot of sweet pale malt with some cracker/bread malt taste. Pretty sweet. Sulfur and skunky flavors are also fairly present. Very faint hop presence. Finishes with a touch more hop flavor and a bit of a mineral taste as well.

M - Lighter body with a good amount of carbonation. Somewhat crisp, but a little thin and watery.

D - Not too bad to drink, but it doesn't inspire me to drink more. Easy to drink, and not very offensive lighter beer.

Notes: Definitely not a Märzen. For what it is, it is average at best. Not really that great, and really it is just a lower end German Pilsner. Green bottle no doubt lead to the slightly skunked taste.

2.83/5  rDev -16.3%

Tis the season for Oktoberfest, might as well open one up. This wasn't available when when I visited the Munich Hofbrauhaus around Christmas.

Appearance: Very clear, golden in color. Thin head, with mediocre retention and no lacing.

Smell: Grainy, almost adjuncty, with some "green" and spicy hops underneath. I was expecting a lot more malt from this style. You might be forgiven for thinking this was supposed to be a pilsner.

Taste: Surprisingly sweet on the palate. A bit of cooked vegetable or sweet corn - can't be adjunct, due to the rheinhetsgebot. Alcohol comes through a bit strong, considering it's just 6%.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body, actually quite creamy. Lingering aftertaste.

Drinkability: Not very impressed with this one. I was expecting something more.

Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier from Hofbräuhaus München