Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier - Hofbräuhaus München

Hofbräuhaus München visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Photo of

1.48/5  rDev -56.3%

Very excited to try this. Big letdown. This is a very boring beer. It tastes like an American Light Lager, but they have managed a higher ABV.

Appearance is a very light yellow.

There is a near odorless beer. It doesn't smell bad, it just has no aroma. This was less surprising after I tasted it. Extremely light flavor. Same amount of flavor as Coors. Barely discernible hops. Malt flavor is so light it is hard to figure out how they got to 6.3 ABV.

There is no mouthfeel. Water has more mouthfeel. The draft I had was overcarbonated. I let it sit a little bit, and it was very slightly better.

Overall, this is an extremely boring, bland beer.

10-07-2011 02:32:14 | More by
blameo

09-29-2012 05:01:38 | More by blameo
germanbeerluvr

1.5/5  rDev -55.8%

I was very disappointed with this beer, especially since my favorite beer is Hofbrau Dunkel (on tap). I'm not sure if it is because of light/heat damage, but I had to force myself to finish two bottles (the other four went down the drain). The thick carbonated head and citrus smell quickly gave way to pure skunk and bitterness, with a horrible aftertaste. I assume that I just got a bad six-pack. On the brighter side, I'm going to the Hofbrauhaus in Munich in two week's and will try one on tap to give it another chance.

10-16-2008 19:36:30 | More by germanbeerluvr
Pillowburn

09-19-2012 20:09:21 | More by Pillowburn
smcolw

1.63/5  rDev -51.9%

Very light straw color; crystal clear. A little too light for my expectations. Very impressive white head. Also, it leaves nice lace on the glass.

Aw, nuts, this beer has skunked. (Rant ahead) Why do beer companies put beers (especially exports to USA) in green bottles? I took a chance knowing that it was a new offering, but still it is ruined.

The taste reflects the skunking. Sorry guys, you deserve this score. I'll give it a shot, anyway. I'm surprised to see that this is an ale, which is not true to style. I'm pleased to report that it does have a crisp mouthfeel with a full body. It has some hops and I'm sure when it was fresh that it was more pronounce.

Unfortunately, under it's current state, it's really undrinkable.

10-16-2004 23:26:32 | More by smcolw
Kooz

1.68/5  rDev -50.4%

Had this right after the Berkshire Oktoberfest, which may have negatively affected my scoring on this one.

Poured a pale yellow into a liter mug. Not appealing in the least, especially after so many other Oktoberfest beers are gorgeous deep browns and oranges. The color of this beer does not make me want to drink it?

The smell was so weak that I couldn't discern notes of much of anything from it.

Tasted and felt watery and bland. Slight bitter aftertaste, but not in a pleasant way. I struggled to finish this beer. Also, no malt?

I will have to try this again as the first beer of the night some time. If I do, I will re-review. But, I don't think I'll actively seek this out.

10-05-2009 00:03:18 | More by Kooz

1.75/5  rDev -48.4%

10-13-2012 01:08:58 | More by KingBiscuit
BlackJeremiah

1.83/5  rDev -46%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: A very light golden, surprisingly light. Lots and lots of streamers feeding a thin, white, foamy head. Some lacing, despite the thin head.

S: Ugh. BMC scents--corn, wheat, unsourced bitter smells. No center, no fullness. Smells bad, really bad--not skunked, just bad. Freshness code is L152F 0939, so if this sucker is really old, please disregard. I haven't seen any issues of "held" O-fests around here, though, so I doubt it's a freshness issue.

T: This tastes like Miller High Life. Bland, over-carbonated, corn-flavored water. There's little to no complexity in the malt character at all, no disparate flavors, no hop quality at all. A thin abomination. Really just awful. I would have actually preferred High Life.

M: Light, unnoticeable, watery and weak. I'm so disappointed.

D: Rare drain pour. Could have finished it--it was merely insipid rather than offensive--but I'd much rather spend my time on something else.

10-08-2006 21:13:54 | More by BlackJeremiah
Bighuge

1.85/5  rDev -45.4%

It is unbelievable how light colored this oktoberfest is. I've had close to 20 ofests this year and nothing comes close to being this light. It's a pale, pale straw color. Reminds me of a braggot I had last winter. This beer smells light-struck because it is. It comes in a green bottle. Skunky smell. There is no resemblence of a ofest in taste either. There's some of that skunky taste. And after cutting through that, it tastes more like a light lager than an Ofest. The skunkiness isn't overwhelming, thus I gave the drinkability the highest rating of the 5 categories, a 2.5. Not recommended.

09-27-2002 20:05:03 | More by Bighuge
mwa423

1.88/5  rDev -44.5%

A - Poured into a pint glass with small head, very little retention and a slightly county pale straw color

S - Combination of malt and skunk. Very similar to Beck's

T - Some nut, some malt, the same skunk that was in the aroma.

M - Smooth, but can't really get too interested.

Overall, if you're contemplating picking this up, save a couple bucks and buy Heinekin or Beck's. This is almost dead on Beck's.

01-12-2009 06:37:04 | More by mwa423
jujubeast6000

1.98/5  rDev -41.6%

Reviewed 10/4/2008 (Bottle @ Stag's Head):

Pours a body that is a very clear yellow color, extremely pale yellow, with a foamy white colored head, lasting-ish. Has a malty aroma, nutty almost grass-like. Malty taste, nutty, lawn-like. Some fizziness. Not very good.

03-25-2009 00:49:44 | More by jujubeast6000
ScorpyX

Colorado

1.98/5  rDev -41.6%

A: Light golden pour with a thin white head. It came in a green bottle which I somehow failed to notice when I bought. That's worrying.

S: Smells of light damage. Light, lagery scent. Grains apparent.

T: Overcomes the light damage at first, but that skunkiness is in the aftertaste. Darn. Light bread and grain start it off, though, and a little bit of malt. Tastes like a lot of other green-bottled lagers out of Europe. I'm starting to prefer American-style Oktobers. At least out of bottles.

M: Light, crisp mouthfeel. Fairly carbonated, though some of it sticks around on the palate.

D: Pretty much a one and done. Might be better out of a tap, but I won't be taking this out of a bottle again.

09-28-2011 04:51:42 | More by ScorpyX
SuomiHobbit

Connecticut

09-17-2013 11:06:56 | More by SuomiHobbit
jefftuck47

Connecticut

10-10-2012 23:43:45 | More by jefftuck47
samie85

A-Pours a crystal clear golden color with a finger of white head.

S-The slightest hint of cracker-like malt with slight aroma of herbal hops.

T-Bitter, herbal hops with a very minimal light malt backing.

M-Very light bodied, too much carbonation, and none of the sticky, slick feel of a nice marzen.

D-A very disappointing example of the style. I think this might be mis-classified because of the Oktoberfest branding.

09-07-2011 02:39:49 | More by samie85

Missouri

08-20-2012 12:10:49 | More by ajs4bd
BWH3

2.03/5  rDev -40.1%

A: Very good for a light larger. Golden, clear, puffy creamy head that slowly fades into the still waters. Not as amber as most Octoberfest beers is one slight.

S: Weak hint of musty noble German hops. And that is it.

T: It got worse. The taste has a nice effervescence to it but the malt character is minimal and the hops are only slightly more present. I hate to criticize one of the Big Six Octoberfest brewers but this just seems all wrong. It's only saving grace is that is not overtly offensive. I would be hard pressed to pick this over Bud or MGB although the water is of high quality

M: The carbonation is very pleasing to the mouth (unlike the above mentioned US macros). The carbonation lasts enough.

D: If you are on a quest to consume all the Octoberfest beer you can get your hands on this fall (my personal goal), then by all means drink away. If you are looking for a good beer, pass it over.

09-16-2008 22:58:40 | More by BWH3
brentk56

2.03/5  rDev -40.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear pale golden color with a very modest head; not much lacing, either

Smell: Skunky aroma - what would you expect from a green bottle?

Taste: The initial malt flavor, which is not bad, makes way for the skunky aspects, with a lager twang, to boot; overall, this does not taste much like an Oktoberfest after the initial moments

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: I hate to say it but this is an abomination of the style; steer clear

11-19-2008 03:00:28 | More by brentk56
MeisterBurger

2.03/5  rDev -40.1%

Pours a surprisingly pale orangey yellow topped by an ample, rocky white head that laces and retains wonderfully.

It smells like a pint of Stella Artois that is sitting on a table in another room. Floral. Sweet. Skunky. But it's subtle and somewhat artificial.

The taste is very Czech pilsner. Sweet biscuity malt against floral, grassy hops with something approaching lemon rind in the finish. Some breadiness creeps in as things go along as does some corn. It's not quite awful, but it's close.

It's a medium mouthfeel, well carbonated and yeah. Not bad in this regard I suppose.

I was excited to see the LCBO offering an Oktoberfestbier, but it turns out they didn't. At least, to me this beer has more in common with the myriad of generic Euro lagers they already carry--light struck skunkiness and all--than any of the Oktoberfestbier I have ever had.

Huge disappointment.

10-27-2009 00:32:09 | More by MeisterBurger
KonigObHops

2.05/5  rDev -39.5%

After enjoying Sam Adams's Oktoberfest this year, I had a craving for an old friend... Spaten Oktoberfest... but I live in Columbus, OH and it is not easy to find a good selection of imports. Anderson's had Hofbrau Oktoberfestbier so I decided to give it a try... especially since my wife and I have had a few at the actual Hofbrauhaus.

As soon as I poured the beer I knew that I was in trouble. The beer is a medium straw color with a fluffy white head.

The Oktoberfestbier smells like a pilsner. There is nothing toasted at all in there, and I should be smelling some caramel notes at this point, but I've got nothing except a slight citris smell.

The initial taste has a slightly toasted taste to it, but otherwise it is very light and pilsneresque.

The middle is slghtly heavier and not as dry as a pilsner, but there is nothing to the body that makes this beer stand out as an Oktoberfest.

The end of the beer is where I would really hope for a hevier feel and some nice caramel notes. They just aren't there. This beer starts and finishes as your standard Pilsner would.

What a shame. This beer is from the home of Oktoberfest, but it just isn't as good as the Sam Adams I had earlier in the month... and I am still craving my Spaten. I would not reccomend this beer.

10-10-2010 00:21:06 | More by KonigObHops
jsh420

2.08/5  rDev -38.6%

pours bright clear golden yellow with a 2 finger fizzy white head that faded to a film and left some spotted lacing

smells just like a german pils?? light grains and lemon citus hops

taste - where is the toasted malts?(did they forget to do that) again tastes just like a normal pils - very disappointing

mouthfeel is light/medium body with good carbonation but not the medium to full body i am expecting

drinkability is not good if you are wanting an marzen on a cool fall night

i dont know whats going on but this is the second german oktoberfest i have had tonight that has not been as good as SA interpretation

09-05-2010 03:16:18 | More by jsh420