Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier - Hofbräuhaus München

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

Reviews: 542 | Hads: 1,254
2.26/5  rDev -33.1%

A - Crystal clear pale, looks like a pilsner. Paper thin head not great lacing.

S/T - Faint pilsner malt, virtually no hop. Very little going on. Completely lacking in any malt complexity you'd expect from an Oktoberfest.

M - Medium bodied, creamy, still refreshing.

O - Almost feel that I got a mislabeled bottle, but reading other reviews it appears that this is just an extremely poor example of the style. Completely off in color, malt complexity. Nothing wrong if it were categorized as a pale lager, but this is just not an Oktoberfest.

2.28/5  rDev -32.5%

This is no Oktoberfest Bier. It pours a straw yellow with a quick disappearing head. The aroma was a mix of flowery hops, some dry crackers and a bit of toffee. The body was thin with little mouth feel. The tast was the same as the body, thin, slightly sweet with just a tinge of dry bitterness at the end. This so-called Oktoberfest Bier was, in other words, just a normal Industrial Euro-Lager with an Oktoberfest label.

2.29/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle. I was scared off from purchasing for quite some time due to the green bottle. However, my love for Märzen took over and I decided to give it a shot. As soon as I popped the cap, my fears were justified.

Gold color with brilliant clarity and a decent amount of white head. The skunky aroma seemed to jump out of the bottle immediately upon opening. Hard to pick out anything else beyond the skunkiness. Sweet and grainy upon tasting with spicy hops and that awful skunkiness again. It really made it hard to get past. Light to medium body. Clearly there is a quality issue going on here that needs to be resolved. Not much more to say.

I'm sure this is actually a nice Weis'n style Oktoberfest when served on-tap. I've been to the Hofbräuhaus in Munich and I've had their Helles and Dunkel Lagers on-tap, both of which are very enjoyable. Safe to say I will not be purchasing any more Hofbrau bottles in the future until the problems are fixed.

2.3/5  rDev -32%

In which world this is an oktoberfest I do not know.

Pours a brilliant gold with an eggshell white head, which leaves a few streaks of lace as it settles to a collar. Lazy bubbles rise to the surface before bursting into free air. No dark coloured o-fest here, more of a helles or pils than anything, but moving on.

The aroma is grassy, and one would say, almost skunky. Its hard to tell whether this is intentional or a result of the green bottle, but either way its how the beer arrived to me (green bottles be damned). Beyond the grassiness there is a robust maltiness to be found, but we're still far removed from the nose of your regular oktoberfest.

The clincher is the taste. Serve me this blind and I'd say it was a decent Czech Pils. Give it to me in the context of an Oktoberfest and I'd ask whether your joking. A strong grassiness overlays sweet pale malts. The finish is sweet and mildly bready. The body is medium light with carbonation at about the same level, but at this point the beer has already lost the plot and been derailed by its pure inability to carry the style off.

For some reason I imagined that Hofbrau's Oktoberfest would have been one of the greats for the style, but I'm sadly disappointed. This was crap.

2.39/5  rDev -29.3%

Octoberfest: Say the word and you probably think of lederhosen, big parties with communal tables, beer girls dressed in traditional garb, and a brew like this. I sure did so when I saw this available via the single bottle, I figured that this would be a great brew to enjoy the season with, even if I couldn't get to a real event like those in Germany attend every year. Like so many others on here, I was let down by this beer from the moment I poured it out. I know that Marzens aren't the highest rated brews on here, but I do expect an imported offering like this to have some taste, body, and drinkability to it!

Light pour to this was a good head and lacing that was better than expected. Those were the best aspects of this beer as the aroma was practically nonexistent and the head faded fairly quickly. Marzen's tend to be a bit thin in the mouthfeel for me but even this didn't match up to my less-than-lofty expectations. There was straw, grass, and floral notes to this beer but I couldn't wonder how much of the taste had to do with the green bottle. Sure enough, this tasted skunked as soon as I took a sip and because this hadn't been on the shelf that long, I think that spoke more about the beer than the presentation of it. Further tasting of this led me to wonder what style it was, since it reminded me of an Adjunct Lager in every aspect. The filler seemed less than up to standards and the aftertaste was sour enough to beg for a chaser - any type that would alleviate the lingering and uneasy bitterness.

I have no idea how something this bad could be so strong in the alcohol department. This is not the kind of beer I would want to get drunk on and even though the carbonation didn't detract from the taste, this wasn't something that I could down very quickly. Maybe I'm not up to snuff on my appreciation of this style but after seeing how low this was rated on here, I'm thinking that this beer is about a big a letdown as they get.

2.4/5  rDev -29%

Appearance: Thick white head about 1 inch, yellow/gold color. Clear.
Smell: Hops, grassy and perhaps slightly acidic.
Taste: Hoppy / bitter at first but then more malty and definitely semi-sweet. The two tastes (sweetness and bitterness… or was it acidity?) didn’t seem to complement but rather… fight each other in an “unbalanced” / weird short of way. As if both were there but without any willingness to work together
Mouthfeel: First feel, at the tip of the tongue, is rather sharp, but then it gets smoother. Overall medium body.
Drinkability: The more I got down to it the less I liked it. Maybe it had gone bad, although the expiration date was still 3-4 months away.

2.41/5  rDev -28.7%

500 ml bottle from LCBO.

Pours a crystal clear light amber, fizzy white head forms and quickly disappears down to almost nothing, no lace on the glass, looks a little light in colour for a marzen.

Smell is very light, kind of fruity, a bit of skunk, honey, almost no malt presence, light bit of grassy and floral hops but almost no aroma going on.

Taste is slightly better but still not very good, some sweet malts, caramel and honey, a bit of biscuit, some floral and grass, lightly skunky, has a funny metallic finish to it, hard to describe but this isn't very good either.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, slightly syrupy feeling, medium carbonation. Flavour is a little better but still not a very good marzen. 0 for 2 tonight it looks like.

2.41/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Scent of somewhat sweet malt and mild spicy hops. Taste of the same sweet malt, corn and a bit of a metallic flavor on the finish. Bland and thin bodied.

2.43/5  rDev -28.1%

A-Pours a clear golden with less than a finger width of head and nice lacing on the glass.
S-A little funky, a little skunky and strangely a little hefe like (or I should say light).
T-Liquified cut grass is about as close as I can get with a sweet malty finish and woody oakey afternotes.
M-Medium bodied and moderately carbontated.
D-Maybe it's me, maybe I'm not a fan of Oktoberfest beers, maybe this is just not a good example of this beer. I was just not all that impressed with this brew.

2.45/5  rDev -27.5%

I don't know how this beer maintains a B+ average. This isn't a Märzen, it's just a lager. I guess this is the kind of Oktoberfest beer a Heineken drinker would consider a seasonal brew, but for the avid drinker this isn't the type of Märzen one expects. I don't recommend this beer for Oktoberfest, but it's not a bad beer by any means.

2.46/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours golden into a pint glass with the head disappearing so quickly that I didn't have a chance to notice it's qualities. Smells a bit of skunk at first then some grains. Taste redeems the beer somewhat after the lackluster effort in the looks and smell department. You get some grains, bolder than expected malts and some yeast with a little honey sweetness as it goes down. Not your typical Oktoberfest, but might make for a good summer session beer to replace a less tasty lager that you've become bored with. Then again, it might not.

2.46/5  rDev -27.2%

It poured nearly crystal clear with a slightly yellow tinge. It had a nice level of activity and a frothy three finger head that receded and left a nice lacing on the stein.

It smelled slightly malty and slightly hoppy. There was an undertone of a lesser ingrediant that was used to brew the beer, perhaps corn or rice.

It had a well balanced but lite taste of malt and hops. It really had no body and was a bit watery. For a moment I thought I was drinking an American Macro Lager.

I could drink this all night. No body, no flavor, to texture. Carbinated water mixed with alcohol. However I do not believe this to be a good representation of this style.

2.48/5  rDev -26.6%

Draft pour into a Hofbrau branded mug - this one was definitely over the 0.5 liter line. God I love Magoun's. Reviewed from notes.

Looks quite different from any oktoberfest I've ever seen; as the bartender was pouring my mug, I had to check twice to make sure she'd selected the correct tap. Pours a pale yellow that's quite clear, almost like an adjunct lager. A frothy, one-finger white head tops it off.

From smell alone this is quite reminiscent of a pilsner, though I would if that perception is just psychomatic. There is a very clear grassy, earthy hop aroma alongside what seems to be pilsner malt. A touch of pepper and spice reminds me of what style of beer I'm drinking.

The taste is surpsingly sweetness, almost to the point of being cloying and overpowering. There's a very clean bready, biscuit character to the malt bill that's actually quite refrshing, but that saccharine sweetness obscures it almost entirely. The hop profile from the aroma seems almost entirely absent in the taste.

Mouthfeel is a little dead, and more carbonation might help this. In any event, I couldn't imagine being able to drink too much of this.

Quite a departure from the style, and an unsuccessful departure at that. The mug, however, is awesome.

2.5/5  rDev -26%

Hofbrau Oktoberfestbier brewed by Hofbrauhaus Munchen with an ABV of 6.30% Keep in mind this brew comes out of a green bottle. This brew pours out a nice golden amber color with a nice white head. The smell is skunky with some grains. I''m not big on the smell of this brew. Now for the taste it is skunky with some grains. This brew goes down smooth but you have to get over the skunkyness of this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 2.5 out of 5.
If I can find this brew in a can or brown bottle I think it would be a lot better. The skunky smell and taste is the killer of this brew.

2.5/5  rDev -26%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

On tap poured into a shaker pint.

Golden with a tiny white head. Excellent clarity and moderate carbonation.

Not much here at all. Faint whiffs of bread and cereal grains.

Hints of bread, cereal grains and Munich malts. A sprinkling of brown sugar. There is a strong off-flavor of green apple or something.

Light-medium bodied, crisp, clean and well carbonated.

2.53/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a very pale golden color that is quite clear and has a very small head.

Smell: While it has a slight malt aroma, I found the smell to be rather bland.

Taste: It has a strong kick, but it's not just a bitter kick. It's a little hard to describe and hard to tell if it's really a good thing.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin, but not too much.

Drinkability: Not the worst thing I've ever had, but it's not something I'm going to get all excited about.

2.54/5  rDev -24.9%

Light copper color. Very little head and no lacing to speak of. Not a great looking beer, frankly.

Smell is syrupy sweet malts, but subdued, not overwhelming.

Taste is sweet malts, a touch cloying.

Low level of carbonation, watery consistency, combined with the sweetness reminds me of a flat soda pop.

I didn't hate this one, but the appearance and mouthfeel left so much to be desired that I don't think I'd get it again.

2.55/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

330 ml. green bottle no. L186J-14:18. Sampled on September 8, 2010. It pours a well carbonated pale yellow with a fizzy two-inch thick white head that lingers for a bit but fades away. Aromas of grains and some malts but little else. The taste is a sharp, grainy bitterness much like a pilsener. The experience was unexpected.

2.56/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: A rather tan colored gold for a body that doesn't boast too much in the way of carbonation. The head however was a good solid two fingers that laced and retained modestly.

Smell: Took some warming to come out, but even when it's come out, I would not call it appealing. Grassy with citrus and mixed with light rotten egg smell. I suppose it's not offensive, but still I'm not looking forward to it.

Taste: In a word, bleck as it starts with a very boring and subdued malt character with a hint of clementine. In then shifts to a slight caramel taste that turns to earthy and grassy hops. Not especially bad, but certainly not my cup of tea.

Mouthfeel: Well, it does leave a bit of a caramel and malt aftertaste, that doesn't linger for too long. However the it seems a bit, dry the front and moist in the back of the mouth. That and the carbonation needs a bit of work and doesn't seem to really help bring out many aspects of the beer.

Drinkability: It's going down, it's refreshing and it's sitting well but this is a case where the other factors conspire against the brew. Besides that, I wouldn't say it's all that smooth.

Final Thoughts: As my first Oktoberfest, I am disappointed, to say the least. I was expecting a much fuller and much richer experience. I've had many a bad import lager, and while it is by no means as generic as they are, that doesn't make it good. I'd have to say my biggest problem, is it seems to be unable to decide if it is a sweeter malty beer or a richer hoppy beer. Thumbs down on this one.

2.57/5  rDev -24%

Very light in color. Appears as a Lager or Pilsner. Pours with a 1” head, but has minimal lace. Very clear. Grassy hop aroma is very present. Flavor is a very acid, grassy hop. Rests very lightly on the palate, and goes almost unnoticeable. However, finishes again with the acidic overtones. Overall a very disappointing Oktoberfest bier. Would be a very pleasing Lager, but as an Oktoberfest, it leaves a lot to be desired.
Green Bottle.

2.57/5  rDev -24%

Pours a golden, clear sunshine with an argueable toasted hue. Not much ofa head, but sme good bubbling. The color makesno distinction between an octoberfest and a german pilsner. Hardly any toasted malt flavors in this beer. No sweetness, and a lot more tetnanger hops than should be. Crisp palate, but no sweetess or sooth. Very dissapointed.

2.59/5  rDev -23.4%

A: Poured from the green bottle (foreshadowing) into a mug. Body is dark yellow/light golden with a small off-white head that disappears quickly.

S: Skunky. Some sweet malt, but mainly skunky.

T: Follows the nose - reminds me of so many other green-bottled beers in that the main taste I get is skunked beer. Some sweetness as well, though it finishes fairly clean - and skunky.

M: Just heavier than light in heft, slightly syrupy in feel.

D: Not so good. Considered a drain-pour, but I'm gonna muscle through the 11.2 oz.

Notes: I just bought this at Olivers in Albany (a single bottle, thankfully). It was out front in their "new arrival" or "seasonal" section. Looking at the code on the bottle, and given the taste, I can't help but wonder if this one was last year's edition - it says: L 139 J 08:24. . . .

2.6/5  rDev -23.1%

poured light golden color, not what I think of when I think oktoberfest. white 2 finger white head. A= skunky smell as soon as i opened the bottle, so a big skunk smell in the nose with some toasted malt hiding in there somewhere. T= again it has a skunky taste, but not nearly as offensive as it was in the nose. Get a malt flavor up front, but this is not real sweet, taste like some faint nobel hops in there as well, but not really noticeable. doesnt have that oktoberfest flavor profile through really, it taste more like a euro lager. mouthfeel is pretty good however, with a nice medium feel.

Overall, this is just okay as a beer, but not really in the same category as really good oktoberfests. In a blind taste test, i dont even know that i would have even guessed it was an oktoberfest to be honest.

2.6/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This beer pours unlike any other Oktoberfest I have tried, which makes me leery right off the bat. Clear dark golden color with a thick and fluffy white head that dissipates slowly. Lager-ish aroma of mild hops and malt. Light-bodied with hops and grainy malt flavors that don’t have much staying power. The finish is mildly bitter with touches of citrus. Below average across the board.

2.61/5  rDev -22.8%

Picked this up a the local store was told this was fresh, not so sure...

Pours an effervescent gold with 3+ fingers of ivory colored head. Good lacing & head retention

S: Soapyness & cereal

T: Soapyness, cereal sweetness & dryness up front. Soapyness & diathechyl (sic) & cereal sweetness as this warms. Finishes cloying with soapyness & a bit of booze

MF: Light /medium bodied, semi crisp with low carbonation

Drinks slow, might buy this as a Pilsner, but this so riddled with flaws, why is any one still using green glass? Will try again, if I can find it von fass. Avoid this unless you KNOW it's fresh

Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier from Hofbräuhaus München