Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier - Hofbräuhaus München

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

Reviews: 555 | Hads: 1,303
3.08/5  rDev -8.9%

From my notes. This one has been readily available throughout my area (southern CT) since late summer.

Pours a completely transparent, straw yellow color, heavy carbonation, with a creamy crown. About one finger thick.

Malty, bready aroma. Lots of straw, grass, and soap, some diacetyl. More sweet malts, a little sugary. Quite heavy on the straw.

Extreme rush of carbonation on the tongue gives way to a crisp, lager taste. More straw on the tongue, a little tart, like lemons. Hop bitterness defined in the finish, lingering, but a light bitterness.

Malty/bready, a bit syrupy even, with crisp-tasting water struggling in the background. Overall, feels unbalanced, too much carbonation and a little too dull. Easy to drink.

3.73/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a light straw color with fluffy white head that clings to the glass all the way down. There's some citrusy notes to the hop aroma. There's also some skunkiness there, damn green bottles. Tastes fairly dry with a lot of hoppy flavor, but not a lot of sweetness of any kind. Still very refreshing. Mouthfeel is heavy and sort of creamy. It sorta bubbles up on the back of the tongue, very nice. All in all a very drinkable beer, I'd get it again.

3.21/5  rDev -5%

12oz bottle poured into a glass.

A - Yellow and somewhat hazy. Carbonation coming nicely up the side of the glass. Shart white head. More of a yellow-orange color actually, though far more on the yellow side.

S - Malt, grain, and hops really come through nicely. Very strong and extremely pleasant. Smells like a well made beer should taste.

T - So I fear this may not have journeyed overseas in the best of manners. Smooth for sure, but very alcoholy in the mouth. Just not a lot more going on than that. Truly dissapointing.

M - Light bodied, mild carbonation. Quite average.

D - Not reccomended. A decent beer but the alcoholic aftertaste very much hurts the overall score in this category.

3.38/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours out a straw gold color, a bit paler than most examples of the style. Grainy sweet malt smell. Taste is slightly maltier but still fairly light. Bitterness is low with no hop flavor. Average mouthfeel, a bit thin.

Like all the Hofbrau beers I've tried, this is absolutely unexceptional.

3.26/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a clear golden color with a large, foamy white head that lasts. Small amount of carbonation seen rising.

Aroma is of lager yeast, sweet, and light hops.

Taste is quite light with some mild hops, malts and a sweet bready taste underlying its character.

Mouthfeel is also light and some light carbonation.

Overall, it is very drinkable. Not the most enjoyable beer as it lacks some defining character, but one that you could sit around and drink for a while. Nothing offensive.

4.43/5  rDev +31.1%

This is a lovely example of a true classic in German beer. I bought a case of this stuff--advised, as a 6 pack in green glass--will defintely spoil if on the shelf in the light....(this may be the problem with other reviews...)--, after trying it at the local Oktoberfest on tap. It pours a very light color...looks like a pilsner actually, but that's where the resemblance ends. Nice frothy head--that stays there--typically German. Smells with a pleasent grainy distinctly barley, grassy air. Nice smooth taste, with a wonderful malty taste, balanced perfectly by the noble hops. Goes down smoothly, with a clean crisp, typically German again, hop aftertaste. A great session beer--but with a lot more flavor than typical pilsners. Having lived in Germany, I know good German beer. This is my favorite Oktoberfest by far...try it, if you want to taste what the Germans like in beer.

Just be careful to get it OUT OF THE CASE as the green glass bottles will allow it to be light struck and ruin the aroma and flavor quickly, if the bottles are exposed to light.

3.69/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from a 12oz green bottle. It had no freshness date.

A: Light yellow, gold color. Very thin head
S: It had a sort of skunky smell.
T: Sharp tingly taste. Sparkly, word?
MF: Loose, light body.
D: Pretty drinkable.

Overall my least favorite Oktoberfest brew, but it is fairly easy to drink.

3.5/5  rDev +3.6%

(Served in a dimple mug)

A- This beer pours a golden straw yellow crystal clear body with a thin soapy head. There is a strong carbonation of tiny bubbles that rise to the surface.

S- This beer has a slight sweet but mostly dry honey malt smell with a faint Munich malt smell and a noble hops and sulfur finish that makes me think of a good Kolsch beer. As it warms the hops bitterness and sulfur dominate over the grain smells.

T- The bitey noble hop taste has a fresh Munich malt taste following it. There is a slight sweet sulfur note with a tangy bitterness of hops in the finish. It is a little bit of club soda in the finish.

M- The light mouthfeel has a fizz finish that boost the hop bitterness a bit.

D- This beer has a fresh malt flavor but it is overpowered by the noble hop bitterness that doesn't have much depth. I like the malt flavors and if the hops were a little lighter or had some depth to them this would be a good session beer.

2.73/5  rDev -19.2%

This beer was recommended by the bar tender. I was excited as the head was nice as well as the retention. However, the color was pale for an October fest. The smell was somewhat faint, small malts came through, it was hard to distinguish.
Taste: Balanced, but not a lot going on. I want thicker malts.
Mouthfeel: was somewhat crisp, but wasn't really clingy.
Drinkability: Easy to drink, I'd rather make a session out of another octoberfest brew though.

Revisited this 10-9-08. Not good stuff.

1.84/5  rDev -45.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: A very light golden, surprisingly light. Lots and lots of streamers feeding a thin, white, foamy head. Some lacing, despite the thin head.

S: Ugh. BMC scents--corn, wheat, unsourced bitter smells. No center, no fullness. Smells bad, really bad--not skunked, just bad. Freshness code is L152F 0939, so if this sucker is really old, please disregard. I haven't seen any issues of "held" O-fests around here, though, so I doubt it's a freshness issue.

T: This tastes like Miller High Life. Bland, over-carbonated, corn-flavored water. There's little to no complexity in the malt character at all, no disparate flavors, no hop quality at all. A thin abomination. Really just awful. I would have actually preferred High Life.

M: Light, unnoticeable, watery and weak. I'm so disappointed.

D: Rare drain pour. Could have finished it--it was merely insipid rather than offensive--but I'd much rather spend my time on something else.

2.87/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours yellow with a poor white head. Smells grainy, with a hint of apples, and some skunk is present too. The taste is slightly tart and sweet, with some bitterness, and some skunk and sulphur tones in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is suprisingly heavy, but not extremely so. Drinkability is decent despite it's flaws. Ok, so this is oktoberfest beer, right? This beer would pass for pilsner. Probably a pretty fair pilsner, but oktoberfest? This almost seems like a mix up at the brewery to me. I gotta give low marks, just based on style, not so much because it's a bad beer.

2.67/5  rDev -21%

Pours a very pale golden color with a thin head that dissipates almost immediately. Light grainy aroma with a bit of off-putting skunkiness. As others have mentioned, the taste is more like your average Euro-lager. I found the sweetness to be a bit too heavy, and the skunkiness was present enough to not be enjoyable. This beer is a chore to drink, I don't recommend it.

A- Clear yellow with thin white lace

S- Clean with a slight hint of alcohol. Thin malts. More Euro Pale lager without the funk.

T&M- Malts are more pale malt than caramel. Very crisp and on the light end of medium bodied. Grainy and slightly toasted malts give way to some hop bitterness that leaves a clean, kinda dry finish with only a slight bit of alcohol burn.

D- This isn't what I think of when I want a Oktoberfest. This looks too pale and not very sweet. ABV is there but this smacks of Euro Pale Lager rather than Marzen. We shall call this O-Fest Light.

3.83/5  rDev +13.3%

12 oz. green bottle. Code on the back label is L152F 1121. Pours a clear golden color, with lots of tiny bubbles streaming from the bottom of the glass. Not exactly what you may picture for an Oktoberfest. Thick frothy white head holds very well. Slight sulfur and grassy aroma, along with pale, bready malt. Good amount of bready malt greets you, then gives way to a bit of herbal and grassy hops. A bit sweet. Pretty clean and balanced. Leans toward medium body with a good amount of carbonation. Very drinakble.

3.23/5  rDev -4.4%

Part of Liquor Barns Ultimate Brew Crew Sept '06-Oktoberfest

A: Very pale yellow color, not the burnt orange of other Oktoberfest beers. A small head receeded quikly leaving little foam.

S: Less malt aroma than expected...actually it's a very plain smell. Nothing stands out.

T: Flavor is dominated by hop bitterness. This beer seems more like a Pilsner than an Oktoberfest. I also tast a hint of plain alcohol flavors.

M: Good balance of body for the hop level.

D: Not bad, but not at all what I was expecting from the style.

3.47/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

6 pack picked up at my local (La Bodega, Riverside, CA.) in late Sept. 2006 for $8.99. Let me start this by saying that I love Oktoberfest beers, and I am a big fan of the fun of Hofbrauhaus (at least the one in Vegas, my only chance so far).

Pours a surprisingly pale yellow with just a touch of orange, much lighter than typical for the style.

Aroma is sweet malts. As a previous reviewer said, smells like beer. Good, but nothing exciting.

Flavor of creamed corn. Not suggesting that corn is an ingredient, just that this has the same sweet flavor and creamy mouthfeel of creamed corn. It's saved by a nice little hop twang at the end of the swallow.

Overall, I can drink this beer. But I much rather go after one or two others of the style. I hope to get a chance to try it on draft soon- maybe it's better that way.

FOLLOW UP: I had a chance to try this on draft, fresh, at Hofbrauhaus in Las Vegas this past weekend. Far superior to the bottled version, I'm sure a lot of that is atmosphere (that's why I'm not fully reviewing it), but generally much better. Still not my favorite, though.

This pours amber, like beer, leaving a few bubbles, like beer.

Smells like... beer. Bit of malt and hop, that is about it.

Taste is... beer... touch of malt, touch of hop, and.. um... smoke maybe?

Mouthfeel is like... beer..

Finish is like... beer...

Did they put the wrong beer in this oktoberfest bottle? It doesn't taste very special, it tastes like any boring bland beer. I don't recommend looking for this, if it is in front of you it is okay to consume, but it isn't worth going out of your way for.

3.63/5  rDev +7.4%

Served in an authentic half-liter stein. Golden yellow color with a foamy white head. Crisp malty aroma. Taste did not strike me a being a Marzen. To be honest I thought I was drinking a pilsener. Clean, light flavor, with a hint of maltiness. Fairly drinkable,but it tasted closer to a Stella Artois than an Oktoberfest.

3.57/5  rDev +5.6%

Good to see the Oktoberfests back in session. Though Hofbrauhaus' left me a bit disapointed. I was expecting a rich bready, malty, strong, flavorful brew. Thought the strength shined, the bready, medium-full texture, rich malts left me wanting more. Paler straw than expected, but the head retention and lacing is on par. Aromas of majorily grain and an estery fruitiness that was unexpected. Tastes more fruity and grain-like than that classic rich bready, caramel malt that I really wanted. The beer is left a little too standard-pilsner-like. The strength was there, leaving an alcohol flavor and mild heat in the finish. Just a touch of grain-bite in the finish and aftertaste.

2.74/5  rDev -18.9%

Pours a light golden color, with a small head with no retention. No lacing or ring around the glass. Looks fizzy and yellow to me.

Aroma is very light, and grainy. You can tell it is a lager from the aroma, but doesn't have much else. Almost smells like adjunct.

Flavor is again light and mild. None of the caramel and toasty notes that I look for in an oktoberfest. Slightly sweet hint of corn. Tastes like it's fizzy and yellow too. Mouthfeel is thin, and drinkability decent.

I'm really dissapointed by this one. Usually Hofbrauhaus has some nice beers, but this just doesn't do it. This borderline tastes like a macro offering. Perhaps this is the lighter oktoberfest that is served traditionaly in German, as opposed to the heavier version we get. Perhaps it just isn't that good of a beer.

4.22/5  rDev +24.9%

I saw this at BevMo, and consididering how much I've liked their other offerings, I figured that I'd probably like this one as well.

The first thing that caught my attention was that it wasn't as dark as the Oktoberfests that I'm used to (Spaten, Samuel Adams, Gordon Biersch). The second thing that I noticed was that it poured a nice, thick head, and I had to let it sit for a few moments before I started to drink away.

I drank this with a plate of homemade fried chicken, and it certainly went well with that. It's smooth, but not quite as malty as the aforementioned Oktoberfests that I've had before. The hop flavor is about what one would probably expect from this style - not too pronounced, but definitely there.

I really liked this, and would probably get it again, especially if it was on sale.

4.15/5  rDev +22.8%

Interesting take on the style. Much lighter in color than other German O'Fests. Not much aroma, but traces of malt. Taste was the most interesting item here. Alot more balanced than the usual German O'Fest, which are usually over the top malt. This one is very nicely balanced with some hops in the finish. Mouthfeel was a little thinner than other O'Fests. Good drinkability. I like this one, even though it is not spot on for the style.

3.77/5  rDev +11.5%

Appears a light copper with a thin white head leaves specks of lacing around my pint. Aroma has sweet apple notes with German noble grassy hop notes not the typical roastier nutty American interpretation of this style but okay. Flavor has a clean mild sweetness low hop bitterness but with some good hop flavor that grassy herbal character is great with a touch of cereal presence, I think I could drink this by the liter at an actual O fest much more so than the caramel malt infused versions. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied good sturdy carbonation flows smoothly. Drinkability is quality like I said not as complex as or quaffable as some but you could put a few of these away with no worries.

3.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured a medium copper hue with a two finger pillowy white head. There was very good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a nice subtle sweet maltiness and a very nice soft doughiness.

The taste was also subtly sweet with an excellent grainy body and mild hint of caramel.

The mouthfeel was medium in fullness and mildly chewy.

Overall a very drinkable Oktober. Not as sweet as some of its German bretheren, which really appealed to me.

3.01/5  rDev -10.9%

12oz. into an Impy pint.

Pours a dark straw-gold color with a fluffy white head. I guess this is the color of new-school OFests from Deutschland.

Smell is faintly skunky, but like someone else said, I think it's just a yeast strain I'm not used to. Other than that, some biscuity things, but not a lot of aroma from this one.

Taste is similar, biscuit malt, no real caramel to speak of, just kind of boring. This beer doesn't say much.

Mouthfeel is good at least, not spiky, but still lively. Pretty smooth.

This beer is just kind of blah, for me, so accordingly, I don't have much desire to drink more. Also, the smell is a bit off-putting.

Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier from Hofbräuhaus München