Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier - Hofbräuhaus München

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

Reviews: 555 | Hads: 1,304
3.31/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2 bottles poured into a big mug.

A - dark straw color. Little to no head.

N - sweet and malty. A little hoppy for a marzen.

T - follows the nose. Malty. More hoppy than your common ofest.

M - not bad. Tangy and slightly fizzy.

O - better than I remember. Good enough. Prost!

3.75/5  rDev +10.9%

A crisp, clean, excellent example of the German Octoberfest style. A lot of these reviews miss the fact that German Octoberfest beers are different from American versions. This beer is excellent to world class, not merely OK.

3.75/5  rDev +10.9%

Hofbräu Munchen Oktoberfest is another one of the beers served at Munich’s Oktoberfest that is available here in the U.S. It comes in a green bottle, which normally isn’t a good sign. The appearance once poured threw me off as well. It was a pale golden color that appeared (and smelled) much more like a pilsner than the more common coppery-hued Fest brews. However, the taste was amazingly complex and enjoyable. It was tangy, with honey sweetness, tea-like tannins providing a contrasting earthiness, and decisively German hops providing a mildly bitter finish. The tiny bubbles of carbonation danced in my mouth, and the result was altogether quite impressive. I can only imagine how much better it would be straight from the tap in Munich.

2.1/5  rDev -37.9%

Pours a lame, non-oktoberfest pale, Americanized-like urine straw yellow, with foamy white head about half a finger thick. Decent retention, solid lacing. I wanted this to have a darker appearance.

Boring, grainy and weak aromas, no hop presence, light on malts. Very grassy. Not impressed.

Stupid grainy taste, very little malts, no hop areas at all. Thin body with heavy carbonation.

The supposed 6.3% ABV is about all this is good for. Oktoberfest-Marzen my butt, this really just a pale lager, and not very good.

3.25/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

330 ml (11.2 fl oz) poured into a 0.5ml dimpled stein

A: Pours a light golden color with about an inch and a half of head that quickly fades into a thin ribbon. Thin lacing that readily dissipates. Not very interesting.

S: Mildly boozy smell with a hint of malt.

T: Matches the aroma upfront but quickly fades. Mildly boozy.

M: Carbonation is nearly imperceptible. The combination of smoothness coupled with a very light body borders on the bland side.

O: Nothing to write home about. Quite drinkable but not very memorable beer. Was very excited when I picked this one up but don't think I'll be having any more of these.

4.37/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This one came in a pony keg that we found in the beer cave at a local Virginia Total Wine. It was an easy choice to make after we discovered the other options only included watery brews with less than 4.5% ABV. This Oktoberfest was imported from Germany and arrived in a 5 liter mini-keg as I call it with 6.3% ABV.

Look-This is the first beer I’ve ever given a 5 out of 5 on the look, because it has the most beautiful golden color ever. If you would turn the lights off and shine a flashlight through this brew you will see something more beautiful than 18k gold glinting in the fresh autumn light at sunset. The clarity of this elixir is complete and would even inspire the bards and muses to vibrate and tingle with joy as the perfect autumn colors induced frolicking and merry-making.

Smell-The smell jumps from the glass and is definitely malt-forward, but with a thick honey-based malt backbone flecked with roasted walnut and ancient yeast strains. It has a very indistinct smell of grassy dank hops that float high above the malty beauty and even as a hop head, I must say that this brew is perfect.

Taste-The taste is a wet dream. It is wet, because it is moist and refreshing, but it is a dream because it is much more than I had anticipated. I literally thought that the taste would be dominated by a watery yeast flavor that was unsatisfying. Instead, I got honey-suckle and molasses, toasted walnut, and subtle dank grassy hops. The Germans really know how to make a great celebration brew for Oktoberfest.

Mouthfeel-It is so smooth that it makes Egyptian silk feel like sandpaper and this is a hyperbole that I would scarcely employ. The carbonation is fine-tuned and pleasant as well as fizzy and appropriately timed in its release towards the end when the hops are the most notable.

Overall-I would give this beer an extraordinarily high score, because it is unique and refreshing, well-balanced, and crisp. It is refreshing, moist, golden, delicious, mildly sweet, smooth, silky, beautiful, unique, and inspires joy. I’d buy more of this as the weather turns from humid heat to cool refreshing happiness that inspires dancing in the light of a full moon and the aroma of the reds and oranges of the falling autumn leaves. Cheers!

2.87/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours yellow with a poor white head. Smells grainy, with a hint of apples, and some skunk is present too. The taste is slightly tart and sweet, with some bitterness, and some skunk and sulphur tones in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is suprisingly heavy, but not extremely so. Drinkability is decent despite it's flaws. Ok, so this is oktoberfest beer, right? This beer would pass for pilsner. Probably a pretty fair pilsner, but oktoberfest? This almost seems like a mix up at the brewery to me. I gotta give low marks, just based on style, not so much because it's a bad beer.

3.44/5  rDev +1.8%

This was an easy drinking refreshing beer - surprising for 6% ABV. However, there was something in the aroma that turned me off a bit. I'm not sure how old the bottle was but I'm hoping it was meant for Oktoberfest 2009. This is more of an average Euro lager than a traditional Oktoberfest style.

It poured a clear yellow straw and gave a big pillowy head. As it receded it left some nice lacing on the sides of the stein and left a consistant surface layer from the good carbonation.

The smell was like a typical lager with some sweeter malt and honey. Unfortunately, there's a corny/peanut character that I wasn't fond about.

The beer goes down smooth enough with a little slickness to give it a nice mouthfeel. It's refreshing and there is no courseness from the alcohol level.

The taste is more prominent in the sweet malt but is balanced enough with hops but low bitterness. There's also a little diacetyl butteriness.

I might try again in case the aroma was not typical. Otherwise a fine summer biergarten session beer - just don't let the 6% add up too fast...

Post review note - looks like the aroma can be a common trait. I'll probably skip this beer in the future

3.23/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was disappointed when I first poured this. Lighter then other Oktoberfest beers that i have had. A dark yellow. Then the smell also seemed a bit skunky. However when I tasted it I was surprised again. It has a nice balance, however not as sweet and malty as some other Oktoberfest beers. Mouthfeel was light, but consistent with the rest of the beer. The drinkability was alright as well. Overall I probably won't seek out this beer again as there are better Marzen out there, mainly Paulaner, and Hacker-Pschorr, but I probably wouldn't turn one down if offered.

3.43/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from the bottle into my pilsner glass.

A: Translucent mustardy yellow with a nice fluffy white 2 finger head. Tiny bubbles support the head but it fades to a film pretty rapidly.

S: Big golden malty smell with a touch of sweetness and some mild hopping.

T: Again the taste up front is malty and a bit yeasty, but there's quite a bit of sweetness. Tough to really characterize the sweetness, it doesn't really have a fruity or sugary flavor. Almost like a sweet dough of some sort. The finish is just a tad bitter and very crisp.

MF: Thin bodied but not watery. Decent carbonation bite, but not overpowering. Finish is mostly wet, but there is a tiny bit of dryness from the hops.

D: Very drinkable beer, but not really one of the best oktoberfest beers out there. The flavor is fine but it doesn't seem as dark and rich as a lot of the other beers in the style. Drinks more like a standard lager to me with maybe a bit more sweetness. Would be great for tailgating though.

3.22/5  rDev -4.7%

Not sure if this is even the right brew. Comparing the bottle pictures, mine is green 11.2oz and the BA picture is a brown bottle. Also on my bottle, it's just called oktoberfest and not oktoberfestbier. However, this is the closest I could find for my review considering most opinions of previous reviewers reflect my own. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Rigorous pour brings out a nice fluffy white head that dissipates pretty quickly. Clear and dark straw colored. Looks a lot like pee. Lacing is pretty much nonexistent.

S - Phew grainy, grassy, and musty. It smells a little skunky but I'm not sure if my brain is just trained to smell that from anything out of a green bottle.

T - Is a little more complex than the smell. My first few sips were harsh when it was pretty cold. It tasted a lot like pale euro lagers. As it warmed, it began to build different flavors. The sharp grainy smell that was putting me off in the beginning is more of a sweet biscuity base. I can start to taste the hops but they are very faint.

M - Light to medium bodied with high carbonation. Carbonation in the beginning was a little much when I had it cold. But after sitting a while it gets to the right level.

O - Not really what I was looking for in a Marzen, but I enjoyed it a bit more as it warmed up. I just had to put myself in a different mindset than the rich malty oktoberfests I had been drinking, and its not that bad. However, I must rate to style, and this one is not a very good showing.

4.18/5  rDev +23.7%

Tried this beer at the Goose Island Oktoberfest Beer Academy. I can see why this beer gets such low ratings - I don't understand, at all, how it can be labelled an O-fest beer. But after I threw this aside, and tasted it not as a particular style, but based on its own generally merits, I loved the beer.

Pours a very light, extremely yellow color (the first clue that something is up with this beer's categorization), with a nice white head and a very large amount of carbonation. The scent is malty and a bit hoppy.

The taste starts out with a nice honey, slightly sweet beginning that moves to an earthy hop finish that lingers for a really long time on my palate. Nothing too sophisticated or complex, but damn is that drinkable and tasty. It's just not an Oktoberfest beer as I know them.

4.4/5  rDev +30.2%

I was fortunate enough to get this beer on tap at Mellow Mushroom in Charlottesville, VA. It came to me with a slight creamy head with dissipated. The color was light golden. The smell was hops and malt with some fruit hints. Taste revealed a good solid malt base with some sweetness and fruity notes. A pleasant bitterness arises in the center of the tongue in the aftertaste. This beer left a good coating on the tongue. Definitely one I'd drink again if I have the chance.

2.28/5  rDev -32.5%

This is no Oktoberfest Bier. It pours a straw yellow with a quick disappearing head. The aroma was a mix of flowery hops, some dry crackers and a bit of toffee. The body was thin with little mouth feel. The tast was the same as the body, thin, slightly sweet with just a tinge of dry bitterness at the end. This so-called Oktoberfest Bier was, in other words, just a normal Industrial Euro-Lager with an Oktoberfest label.

3.85/5  rDev +13.9%

I'm going to have to describe this from "the pour on up." One of the most noticible characteristics is something remniscent of a "cascade" effect. Excellent (3 finger) head formation stays around for a while as carbonation continuously rises - retention and lacing are quite good. The beer is colored a translucent yellow/gold.

Malt aromas are very sharp with a hint of citrus tones. I can't discern too much in terms of hoppiness, but there seems to be a mild trace of grass or grain. It's just very fresh overall - like autumn.

I'd say that the taste matches the nose pretty well. Maltiness hits quickly and fades into mild bitterness. The aftertaste is slightly bitter and almost buttery. The flavor is pretty nice and actually quite crisp.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the creamy side but not too thick. Slight dryness complements the bitter aftertaste nicely.

The beer goes down smoothly; as stated above, it's crisp and finishes well. It's a bit too thick to "pound," but I feel like doing so wouldn't allow you to appreciate the flavor as much.

For what it's worth, I think this is a great "fall" beer. It's got a nice, full flavor and it's pretty crisp. I don't know how I would describe it as an "Oktoberfest" beer, though. If I recall, I thought those were supposed to be a bit thicker/more dense. That's not the case with this beer, but it's still worth checking out.

3.78/5  rDev +11.8%

a - pilsner yellow. a sudsy head that looks like soap.

s - a touch of skunky hoppiness. note, green bottle.

t - crisp flavors. light malts with that certain oktoberfest-something. not particularly flavorful, though this helps with M/D...

m - thin. not terribly carbonated, which helps.

d - easy...a 6 pack of these could be accidentally consumed. almost like drinking water, comparable to a kolsch.

4.45/5  rDev +31.7%

Color is a very very light straw yellow with about 1 cm of white head that dissipates quickly but it looks pretty good to me. Smell is of hops and a bit of skunk but it's a very minor smell.

Tastes like a lager and goes down very smooth, just as smooth as Bud Light but with flavor that doesn't fizz in your mouth. It's just an outstanding beer to drink easily. It has flavor but it's more of a subdued one and the best comparison I can make would be to a light lager but that isn't fair to this beer since it goes down even smoother than those do and doesn't feel heavy at all. All in all, I wish I had bought more of this beer to store because I'm going to have to wait until next year to buy some more!

4.1/5  rDev +21.3%

A golden and clear appearance with a good but frail head; good lacing.

Smells very malty: grainy and fresh, yet sweet and full. A fruity orange-like note pops up every now and again. Hop presence is quite strong fot the style.

Flavour is dominantly malty and rather sweet at that. After a short while, the flavour mellows out and becomes dry and slightly bitter. Alcohol is quite evident at this point too. A beautiful and very complex after-taste and again a nice hoppy touch to the whole beer.

Mouthfeel is good, but maybe just a bit too strongly carbonated. Body is medium.

A nice malty lager, a little less "festive" than I expected.

3.08/5  rDev -8.9%

A - Pours straw yellow with a one finger head that quickly dissipates to a minimal cap and sticky lacing.

S - Bread and light citrus, not a lot of depth.

T - Sweet caramel at first, becoming more bready on the swallow. A mild fruitiness mixed in as well. Almost indiscernible bitterness in the aftertaste.

M - Medium body and carbonation, crisp as well.

O - A pretty disappointing Marzen overall, light on aroma and flavor. Needs some bolder toasted malt and nuttiness added to really give it that Oktoberfest charm. There are better beers of the style out there that make this one not even worth trying.

2.4/5  rDev -29%

Appearance: Thick white head about 1 inch, yellow/gold color. Clear.
Smell: Hops, grassy and perhaps slightly acidic.
Taste: Hoppy / bitter at first but then more malty and definitely semi-sweet. The two tastes (sweetness and bitterness… or was it acidity?) didn’t seem to complement but rather… fight each other in an “unbalanced” / weird short of way. As if both were there but without any willingness to work together
Mouthfeel: First feel, at the tip of the tongue, is rather sharp, but then it gets smoother. Overall medium body.
Drinkability: The more I got down to it the less I liked it. Maybe it had gone bad, although the expiration date was still 3-4 months away.

3.17/5  rDev -6.2%

Sorry, I just can't get into this. First of all, this beer is colored like a pilsner: light straw yellow. Good head, but I am unimpressed by this un-oktoberfest color. Smells like an unpleasant pilsner at first (mass produced, yuck). At this point I am very disappointed in Hofbrau. However, as it warms, there is some citrus and even a little spice on the nose (cloves?), so I am pleased that there is something interesting going on. Tastes better than it smells, with the smooth citrus, cloves, and at the end, honey. Mouthfeel is quite pleasant, smooth, easy. However, I can't get into this as an oktoberfest. Certainly does not fit the style.

3.33/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle.

The beer is a nice clear straw yellow. It poured a two finger head that did not completely disappear, but left a nice bit of lace on the side of the glass.

The taste is a little more bitter than what I expected from this beer, and left me desiring a little more.

The beer is light on the palate and very drinkable.

3.1/5  rDev -8.3%

12oz bottle into a weizen glass.

Note that this is absolutely definitely NOT a marzen. Not even close. It would appear to be the stuff they actually serve at Oktoberfest, a pale yellow lager somewhere in the Pils/Helles neighborhood. Since it was clearly not intended to be a marzen I have not reviewed it as such.

1.5" white fizzy head over a very clear light golden body.

Aroma is of bread, citrus and herbal hop with a little metallic lager bite.

Flavor begins with some grain and floral herbal hop, a little straw. Slightly balanced to sweet malt. No bad, but finishes with a coarse bitterness.

Light body and high carbonation in standard euro-lager fashion. Overall a pretty boring and inoffensive beer.

2.91/5  rDev -13.9%

Had this on-tap at an Octoberfest in Chicago.

Poured a very pale golden color with minimal head, and left almost no lacing down the side of the glass.

The smell is very slightly citrusy to me, and also a bit of yeast, although I cannot detect much more than that.

Taste is of yeast, and some hops, and a whole bunch of carbonation that probably masks whatever else is in there. Really not very impressed with the taste.

Very carbonated mouthfeel, although it is light-tasting and nothing lingers on the palate after you are done swallowing.

A drinkable beer; certainly not near the best. I would call this mediocre, but a fine beer for an outdoor festival with lots of people milling around. I don't think I would ever consume it at home.

3.62/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

very nice golden color with about a fingers worth of white head and average lacing good carbonation

good aromas of both hops and malt

good taste that is full not to bitter a very good oktoberfest very simple but sometimes simple is the best

good body not to light or to heavy good balance

overall this is a pretty good seasonal beer

Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier from Hofbräuhaus München