1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier - Hofbräuhaus München

Hofbräu OktoberfestbierHofbräu Oktoberfestbier

Hofbräuhaus München visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 850 | Reviews: 479 | Show All Ratings:
schuim

Netherlands

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

Had this beer yesterday in a tasting session. A fresh bottle that poured a filtered blond beer with a malty flavour. A little fruityness in it to.

The taste was a little warming and started with sweet malt followed by a hoppy dry bitterness. A beer that is made for drinking in half liters, it becomes well.

10-15-2008 16:42:23 | More by schuim
squirrelpirate

Maryland

3.35/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Hobrauhaus Munchen Oktoberfest poured a brilliantly clear golden hue with a sustained thick white head. Very active carbonation throughout the pint. The aroma consists mostly of grainy notes, a slight hint of hops and a bit of skunkiness as well.

Lots of pale malt in the taste with a bit of alcohol and fruitiness. Hop bitterness present in a faintly dry finish. A pleasant taste the defied my expectations after noting the appearance and smell.

Medium-bodied with ample carbonaton. A good, crisp and clean beer. A drinkable beer and much better than I expected after the pour.

10-13-2009 01:43:06 | More by squirrelpirate
charliedango

2.45/5  rDev -27.7%

I don't know how this beer maintains a B+ average. This isn't a Märzen, it's just a lager. I guess this is the kind of Oktoberfest beer a Heineken drinker would consider a seasonal brew, but for the avid drinker this isn't the type of Märzen one expects. I don't recommend this beer for Oktoberfest, but it's not a bad beer by any means.

09-16-2009 00:42:04 | More by charliedango
kilustration

3.63/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours pale, mild cloudiness. Grassy flavor. Weak lacing. Slightly bitter aftertaste - but not overwhelming.

Hard to believe this is an official octoberfest beer. Its decent, but would not think is it of that caliber.

Has a nice smooth mouthfeel, almost creamy. Taste grows on you with each sip.

Very confusing beer. First taste is somewhat disappointing - then it gets better as you drink.

Bottom line: Not in my top 10 German beers; but would not turn down. Taste an appearance gives me the impression that this is the "Coors" of German beers (light years ahead of the American BMCs)...hmmmm.

09-16-2011 00:23:07 | More by kilustration
stodbrew

3.73/5  rDev +10%

Poured a very pale gold color, not quite what I was expecting, but still looked good. Head disappeared very quickly.

Aroma is sweet malt, maybe slightly bready.

Flavor is not quite what I was expecting, either. Some sweet malt is there, but its got a quite bitter finish. Unexpected, but in a good way.

Overall, I'd say this is a pretty good beer, and one that I'm sure I'll have several of.

09-18-2005 02:35:08 | More by stodbrew
sdsurfer217

2.9/5  rDev -14.5%

A: Finger and half of clean white head that slowly dissipates. Brilliant yellow in color, completely clear.

S: Smells like sweet biscuits, with a touch of banana. A little bit of spice detected.

T: Sweet, biscuity shines through. Tastes a little skunky, probably due to the green bottles. Pretty crisp finish.

M: Pretty thin feeling, plenty of carbonation. Crisp, clean finish.

O: Would probably like this beer more if it wasn’t a green bottle as you can taste the skunk. Overall, not too bad and pretty easy to drink. I wish it was served with the blond on the 6-pack.

08-30-2011 18:50:37 | More by sdsurfer217
KonigObHops

2.05/5  rDev -39.5%

After enjoying Sam Adams's Oktoberfest this year, I had a craving for an old friend... Spaten Oktoberfest... but I live in Columbus, OH and it is not easy to find a good selection of imports. Anderson's had Hofbrau Oktoberfestbier so I decided to give it a try... especially since my wife and I have had a few at the actual Hofbrauhaus.

As soon as I poured the beer I knew that I was in trouble. The beer is a medium straw color with a fluffy white head.

The Oktoberfestbier smells like a pilsner. There is nothing toasted at all in there, and I should be smelling some caramel notes at this point, but I've got nothing except a slight citris smell.

The initial taste has a slightly toasted taste to it, but otherwise it is very light and pilsneresque.

The middle is slghtly heavier and not as dry as a pilsner, but there is nothing to the body that makes this beer stand out as an Oktoberfest.

The end of the beer is where I would really hope for a hevier feel and some nice caramel notes. They just aren't there. This beer starts and finishes as your standard Pilsner would.

What a shame. This beer is from the home of Oktoberfest, but it just isn't as good as the Sam Adams I had earlier in the month... and I am still craving my Spaten. I would not reccomend this beer.

10-10-2010 00:21:06 | More by KonigObHops
rx-beer

Puerto Rico

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

330 ml (11.2 fl oz) poured into a 0.5ml dimpled stein

A: Pours a light golden color with about an inch and a half of head that quickly fades into a thin ribbon. Thin lacing that readily dissipates. Not very interesting.

S: Mildly boozy smell with a hint of malt.

T: Matches the aroma upfront but quickly fades. Mildly boozy.

M: Carbonation is nearly imperceptible. The combination of smoothness coupled with a very light body borders on the bland side.

O: Nothing to write home about. Quite drinkable but not very memorable beer. Was very excited when I picked this one up but don't think I'll be having any more of these.

09-05-2013 02:23:30 | More by rx-beer
IndolentReader

3.98/5  rDev +17.4%

This beer has a lighter appearance than I would have expected. Nice aroma, pleasant, but by no means overwhelming. The taste is a bit milder that other Oktoberfest beers I've experienced. This did not knock my socks off, but it was pretty decent for the year's first cool day.

09-04-2010 22:58:03 | More by IndolentReader
jak3676

Hofbräu - Oktoberfest

Brewed and bottled in Munich, Germany. This is another one I've dranken by the barrel over the years. But unlike the Weihenstephaner, I'm dissapointed in this one - at least the first 6-pack I picked up this year. I'm still trying to figure out if it's intentional, or if my beer went skunk - either way, it was suprisingly bitter. It had the very hoppy bitterness that I always dislike in an IPA. My Dad was over last weekend and he commented that this one had the "typical Hofbräu Hause bitter hops taste too. Maybe it's more of an aquired taste? I've been to the actual Hofbräu Hause in Munich probably a dozen times and I've always loved the beer, so I'm not sure what's up here. I will say that poping a few more later in the evening seemed to get much better. Maybe I was letting them breathe more, or maybe the 6.3% ABV was starting to kick in. Maybe it's intentionally bitter to hide the high ABV and I just never noticed before?

This was another crystal clear, blondish-yellow beer. I'm going to try to have to dig up some more of my old pics from Germany, because I remember these being much darker in color too. There are some numbers stamped on the label, but nothing I can discern as a date. In any case I think I'll be passing on this one until I can find my way back to Germany again.

09-20-2012 20:05:21 | More by jak3676
thegiggy86

3.65/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I just had this beer over at Shaefer's Bar and grill over in Staten Island New York. They had an advertisement for the beer on the table, so I decided to give it a shot.

Appearance: The beer had a very attractive golden color. Very inviting. Small head on top.

Smell: I'm not an expert, but the beer smelled fresh.

Taste: Not too strong, not too light. Just right.

Mouthfeel: Good, crisp.

Drinkability: Very good drinkability. I had a few.

10-09-2004 22:40:02 | More by thegiggy86
slassy

2.2/5  rDev -35.1%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours single finger head that dissipates quickly, leaving little foam on top. A golden honey color.

S: Very grainy, almost sour even.

T: Sour and leafy tasting. Almost makes your chin pucker half way through if you drink it too fast.

M: Lightly carbonated, extremely smooth, goes down effortlessly. Clean and dry finish.

O: My first Marzen, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. However, not really what I was expecting from an Okotoberfest beer (weak in my mind). One plus I will give it is that it wouldn't be bad for a long, all-day drinking session, as it wouldn't be hard to put many of these away.

09-12-2011 03:48:08 | More by slassy
bigbodybussey

Georgia

3.03/5  rDev -10.6%

Served on Tap into a pint glass.

Appearance - was a nice clear and golden brew with a moderately thick white head. Minimal lacing noted.

Smell - Very puristic. Mild hoppiness with a slight alcohol scent.

Taste - very faint taste of malt and hops. A lingering bitterness that mellows with a semi-sweet presence.

Mouthfeel - relatively thin in comparison to other Marzen's I have had in the past. Large amount of carbonation with a watery-feel.

Drikability - A realtively smooth, drinkable brew, however, the taste and smell are lacking. I would be willing to give it another try.

07-29-2010 03:24:55 | More by bigbodybussey
ChuckMartel37

3.58/5  rDev +5.6%

This is probably one of the lightest colored oktoberfests i've seen. It pours bright golden, almost strawlike with minimal lacing. The little bit of head it does have disappears rather quickly. It has a sweet smelling munich malt aroma at first, but the noble hops start to become more apparent after a while. The hops give it a nice bite once it hits your mouth, but it ends with that malty sweetness. Not very fully bodied, but this makes it very quaffable. As a beer, it's amazing for session drinking. I could see this being my go-to drink for say, several games of beer pong, for example. However I'm disappointed inasmuch as this is considered a Marzen (allow me to be a slave to the style for a moment). I was really hoping for that dark, heavy roast and malt flavor for the season. Overall, a decent beer, but I've had better Oktoberfests.

09-06-2007 03:04:20 | More by ChuckMartel37
michaelc916

4.18/5  rDev +23.3%

I actually had a mass of this at the Chinese Tower beer garden in Munchen just before Oktoberfest began. It was a fantastic beer to go along with the experience of riding a bike around the English Garden.

The bottle: Pours with a quickly fading fluffy white head. Smells of Munich malt and Haller hops with an almost skunk but not quite. The Malt really comes through in the flavor, and the hops take the back seat. Overall a great session beer.

11-05-2007 14:08:51 | More by michaelc916
Auspice

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a green glass into my SA Perfect Pint glass with a finger and a half head and a clear very light golden color. Much lighter than expected from an Oktoberfest/Marzen to be sure.

A strong lemony/grassy hop aroma pervades the nose reminding me more of a pilsner beer than an Oktoberfest. Am I going to be extremely disappointed here?

Strangely enough the first taste is very familiar; malty sweetness and biscuit flavors I've come to expect in an Oktoberfest but definitely getting a strong Euro Lager feel from it too with the lemony hops. The body is medium to slightly thin with slight carbonation.

Totally not what I'm used to in an Oktoberfest lager but pleasant nonetheless.

09-29-2009 04:18:34 | More by Auspice
ArcaneXor

2.78/5  rDev -18%

Was surprised to see this beer pour a bright golden color out of the green (sigh) 330 mL bottle. Closer examination of the label reveals this to be an ale, rather than the amber Oktoberfest/Maerzen lager that one would expect from a beer by this name. Overall, it is a drinkable light-colored ale sharing some characteristics with a Koelsch, but with a noticeably higher ABV, greater mouthfeel and somewhat subdued carbonation.

09-21-2010 22:16:26 | More by ArcaneXor
mfigueroa713

2.9/5  rDev -14.5%

A - light yellow color, light carbonation.

S - Neutral without ant distinct notes.

T - Bland upfront but had a slight bitter aftertaste. High ABV was barley detectable.

M - Light and watery, similar to a Budweiser.

O - This beer is an easy drinker with a fairly high ABV. Has refreshing properties but is very simple in structure.

10-22-2011 13:10:27 | More by mfigueroa713
lancecjohnson

4.2/5  rDev +23.9%

I saw this at BevMo, and consididering how much I've liked their other offerings, I figured that I'd probably like this one as well.

The first thing that caught my attention was that it wasn't as dark as the Oktoberfests that I'm used to (Spaten, Samuel Adams, Gordon Biersch). The second thing that I noticed was that it poured a nice, thick head, and I had to let it sit for a few moments before I started to drink away.

I drank this with a plate of homemade fried chicken, and it certainly went well with that. It's smooth, but not quite as malty as the aforementioned Oktoberfests that I've had before. The hop flavor is about what one would probably expect from this style - not too pronounced, but definitely there.

I really liked this, and would probably get it again, especially if it was on sale.

09-17-2006 23:09:04 | More by lancecjohnson
germanbeerluvr

1.5/5  rDev -55.8%

I was very disappointed with this beer, especially since my favorite beer is Hofbrau Dunkel (on tap). I'm not sure if it is because of light/heat damage, but I had to force myself to finish two bottles (the other four went down the drain). The thick carbonated head and citrus smell quickly gave way to pure skunk and bitterness, with a horrible aftertaste. I assume that I just got a bad six-pack. On the brighter side, I'm going to the Hofbrauhaus in Munich in two week's and will try one on tap to give it another chance.

10-16-2008 19:36:30 | More by germanbeerluvr
Zackcavalier

3.3/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

If you like miller lite, this beer is for you. Scary how similar this is to mL for me anyways. Sweet, fairly one dimensional and watery. Light amber/yellow...seems like a pils. Smells pils-y. Clear as yellow glass. I would not drink again. Sweet, breadlike finish. I assume, based on the german nature of this beer, there are no adjucts, but it tastes corny to me. I am not sure why the others in my group loved it so.

10-21-2013 23:38:36 | More by Zackcavalier
bierbirrabeer

New Hampshire

3.53/5  rDev +4.1%

Preface: Okay, here we go again with the prefacing. I think, perhaps, I should give an epilogue. It reveals less at the get go.

Appearance: Much lighter than I would have expected of an Oktoberfest beer -- not necessarily a bad thing. I would say it was an extremely pale amber or a nice golden yellow.

Smell: A nice yeast scent, not dissimilar to the original HB brew.

Taste: This is where I was unpleasantly surprised. The original HB brew is so wonderful that I had high expectations for the Oktoberfest variety. Unfortunately, the difference between the two brews was minimal at best. At worst, I would call the difference barely perceptible.

Mouthfeel: Can't complain, but it suffers from the same thing the taste suffers from.

Drinkability: Very yummy for an Oktoberfest. Can't complain.

Epilogue: What happened here? I was expecting to give a rave review. Hofbrau's Original is so tasty, but the Oktoberfest wagers little. I mean I have heard the expression, "Play it safe", but come on. At some point you have to risk something. Try again, Hofbrau.

09-17-2010 01:17:18 | More by bierbirrabeer
Axismundi

4.1/5  rDev +20.9%

Had a half liter of this on tap at Schnitzel Platz - a nice German restaurant in the Chicagoland area. I've had this one a long time ago, before I really learned to enjoy beer and thought it was wickedly bitter. It's been 6 years since that time and I really enjoyed it this time around - quite a surprise.
A - Came with a thick frothy head, almost aproaching the consistency of shaving cream, lol. Quite clear yellow gold color.

S- Pretty general german beer smell, you know that that this is an old school german beer, nothing experimental or extreme here, just the smell of good quality german beer.

T - Crisp, refreshing, well-balanced. The moderately bitter hops and the sweeter malts of oktoberfest come at you all at once, and the alcohol is very faintly perceivable. A very classic, agreeable taste (if you like beer)

M- Perfectly carbonated for this style. Moderately high, but seems very well suited for it. Seems to break up the heavier grain bill of the oktoberfest style.

Overall - 4.5- 5. Refreshing, clean, yummy and satisfying. Don't miss out on this one ON-TAP. Don't seek out the bottles. They're green and skunk too easily.

09-27-2012 01:10:52 | More by Axismundi
jafaircloth

3.26/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: 12oz bottle poured into a .5L Octoberfest stein. Golden in color with a medium white head. Crystal clear clarity. Appropriate for a domestic Octoberfest.

Aroma: Moderate Grainy Malts with moderate lager yeast sulfur on the back end.

Taste: Malty sweet upfront, some bread in the middle and finishes with a light noble hop bite at the end and some faint caramel. I wish I was getting more Munich and Vienna malt character.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium carbonation finishes slightly sweet, moderate attenuation but not dry.

Overall: It was an average Octoberfest beer - but not quite the Marzen profile I was looking for. I felt it leaned more towards a full bodied & malty pils. I'll finish the six pack - CHEERS!

09-27-2013 02:53:56 | More by jafaircloth
kgmurphy13

3.18/5  rDev -6.2%

Light-golden in color, with a nice head off the pour, but dissipated in a short time. Corn and a bit of barley on the nose, with a yeasty, bready taste on the palette. Good, light mouthfeel and nice drinkability. I guess the problem with this beer is that it's not your typical oktoberfest. It's a much lighter style, both in color and in body, and doesn't have any malty sweetness or amber hue. A beer that I enjoyed, but if your looking for an octoberfest, look elsewhere.

09-12-2003 00:19:54 | More by kgmurphy13