Microbrew Invitational

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

Reviews: 557 | Ratings: 1,320
3.33/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle.

The beer is a nice clear straw yellow. It poured a two finger head that did not completely disappear, but left a nice bit of lace on the side of the glass.

The taste is a little more bitter than what I expected from this beer, and left me desiring a little more.

The beer is light on the palate and very drinkable.

3.1/5  rDev -8.6%

12oz bottle into a weizen glass.

Note that this is absolutely definitely NOT a marzen. Not even close. It would appear to be the stuff they actually serve at Oktoberfest, a pale yellow lager somewhere in the Pils/Helles neighborhood. Since it was clearly not intended to be a marzen I have not reviewed it as such.

1.5" white fizzy head over a very clear light golden body.

Aroma is of bread, citrus and herbal hop with a little metallic lager bite.

Flavor begins with some grain and floral herbal hop, a little straw. Slightly balanced to sweet malt. No bad, but finishes with a coarse bitterness.

Light body and high carbonation in standard euro-lager fashion. Overall a pretty boring and inoffensive beer.

2.91/5  rDev -14.2%

Had this on-tap at an Octoberfest in Chicago.

Poured a very pale golden color with minimal head, and left almost no lacing down the side of the glass.

The smell is very slightly citrusy to me, and also a bit of yeast, although I cannot detect much more than that.

Taste is of yeast, and some hops, and a whole bunch of carbonation that probably masks whatever else is in there. Really not very impressed with the taste.

Very carbonated mouthfeel, although it is light-tasting and nothing lingers on the palate after you are done swallowing.

A drinkable beer; certainly not near the best. I would call this mediocre, but a fine beer for an outdoor festival with lots of people milling around. I don't think I would ever consume it at home.

3.62/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

very nice golden color with about a fingers worth of white head and average lacing good carbonation

good aromas of both hops and malt

good taste that is full not to bitter a very good oktoberfest very simple but sometimes simple is the best

good body not to light or to heavy good balance

overall this is a pretty good seasonal beer

4.15/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Straw yellow. Two finger head dissolves to thin bubbly lace.
Very bubbly. Interestingly, when the head dissolved, the aroma all but left.

S - Smells of yeast, bread, grain, floral, metallic.

T - Creamed corn, grain, mild yeasty aftertaste. Pretzel in the middle. Light hop profile. Lightly full of flavor with a solid malty backbone.

M - Moderate body. Crisp carbonation, but balanced by the smoothness of the malt back bone.

D - A top notch drinakle lager. Very crisp, very refreshing. Very intersting. I have fallen in love with this beer. Everything is right where I want it to be. I wouldn't change a thing. Cheers to Oktoberfest!!!

3.98/5  rDev +17.4%

To get into the real spirit of things with this beer I figured why not grill up some Oktoberfest sausages, braise some Savoy cabbage and boil up some nice mash, everything short of polka.

Well now that I had my spread in front of me time to bring my attention to the golden honey coloured Märzen with its froth off white head awaiting my consumption.

The smell was first off very bisucty and bready as I would expect from the amount of malt used in this style. Following were the refreshing, and definitely appropriate for fall, scents of apple and grape. A slight grassy note from the hops rounded out the bouquet nicely.

After a few mouthfuls of my Bavarian platter it was time to see Hofbräu washed down the fine fare of its homeland. A big punch of sweet yet crisp malt initially quenched my thirst with a surprisingly smooth and full mouth feel lingering on to a mild hoppy, alcohol bite in the end. Continuing on with my mini Oktoberfest the head had long since dissipated but the rest remained true to my first impressions getting slightly breadier as it warmed up.

With my stomach full and my thirst quenched id have to say this was a good beer especially along with its atypical food accompaniments. I would have liked it to be a bit darker and maybe a bit more complex malt in the profile but otherwise a decent beer for the style.

3.23/5  rDev -4.7%

Lays straw gold and pale. Very little head to speak of and no lacing. Smell is perfumy and a bready grain. Taste is light in the malt department with some graininess. There is a good hop spice in there much like a German Pils. It is light on the mouth and light on the flavor for an Octoberfest. Good drinkability. Reminds me of the Weinhenstpehaner I had last week. Good just not what I would consider an Octoberfest.

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: Golden with little head. Looks effervescent...

Smell: Malty, earthy with hints of fresh mown hay

Taste: Yeasty & crisp with solid malty base. Slight hop bite in the finish...

Mouthfeel: Smooth, clean feeling. Light to medium bodied.

Drinkability: Easy drinking. Can see these going down fairly quickly.

Comments: This was an average Oktoberfestbier. I've had many better, but I think a lot of the problem with this one was its freshness. I questioned its freshness, but there was no date on the bottle to tell. I think this would be a much different beer had it been sampled in Munich fresh. By the time it made it to my LBS, it tasted sort of tired....

3.35/5  rDev -1.2%

This was recommended to me as being one of the best but
I felt although its a well rounded lager type ale, it just doesn't
have the characteristics I look forward to in an Oktoberfest style
beer in the fall, that being, caramel malty, darker color, this
I'm somewhat dissapointed with but I try as many beers when I can. The
one high point is it does taste good for a lighter type ale.

3.74/5  rDev +10.3%

Aroma: Light sulfur. Mild floral aroma.Very clean

Appearance: Pale gold. I know modern Oktoberfests are a lot lighter, but this is more like a light pilsner. Big fluffy white head. Very clear lots of bubbles. Good lacing.

Flavor: Sweet bready flavors dominate. Floral hops add interest to finish. Crisp and refreshing. Medium-low bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Sweet up front but finishes dry. High carbonation. Medium mouthfeel, more than expected from color. Alcohol not noticeable.

Overall: I was turned off by color to begin with, but this turned out to be a pretty tasty beer. Not strong enough to scare away the BMC drinkers, enough flavor to hold the interest of craft drinkers. I still prefer the older darker style Oktoberfests, but I can see easily myself kicking back a few liters of this.

3.7/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out dark gold in color, almost lite amber, aroma of malt very prevaulent, slight toastiness after warming, some toastiness in flavor with malt being the dominant, distinctive flavor some hop bitterness present but no hop flavor noted to me. Some what sweet after the bitterness subsides. Body medium to high, somewhat creamy, moderate carbonation. The head retention (being the two finger size or what ever the standard pour is) is low but it keeps a skim of head throughout the remainer of the session. Overall it is an one or two beer per session drinkable german amber lager. Recommend off the tap though, had it in Las Vegas at the HofBrauHaus there.

3.19/5  rDev -5.9%

This beer is obviously from the october, november months, but I don't think it should change the taste that much in 3-4 months.

App.-Very light and pilsner looking in appearance. This beer has a nice white foamy lacing.

Smell- Very basic. Light barely malt, a tad bit of hops and a little boozy smell. Not much there.

Taste- Similar to the smell. Sweet pilsner malts dominate throughout most of the drink. Hops come to balance half way through to balance. Barely noticable though.

MF- I am disapointed with a lack of carbonation. Medium mouthfeel that doesn't swim well in the mouth.

Drink- Dry finish. Very quenching. I do not think this should be an octoberfest beer but instead a summer release. It would serve me much better on the hottest of days.

My biggest issue is the price of this beer. I think it cost me about 11.99 or 12.99 (It's rare I forget how much beer costs because money is a big issure for me) I think you can get a much better 6-pack of pils or summer beers for 5 dollars less.

You can skip this one. I'll give this brewery another chance when I have the money because it seems like there could be potential.

2.73/5  rDev -19.5%

Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier, ABV: 6.3%.
500 ml bottle, 19.90 SEK at Systembolaget.

A: The liquid is clear, and the colour is gold to amber. The head is big, white, airy and soapy, and leaves decent retention.

S: A kind of dry, lightly malty aroma, with hay, white bread and some citric notes.

T: Sour notes of bread, butter, lemons, oranges, herbs and hints of alcohol.

M: A balanced, somewhat sticky feel, with some bite, medium body and bitterness, and a relatively dry finish. This beer benefits from its drinkabilities.

O: OK, a decent and drinkable festbier, but again with some sour off-flavours.

(Notes from yesterday.)

3.33/5  rDev -1.8%

A: The beer is golden colored with a pale white head at about one finger's height. The head is creamy and leaves some nice lacings after it dissolves.

S: It smells of white bread, toasted malts, some spicy hops and some grassy tones.

T: The taste has typical German hops in it. The toasted malt is dominant at the end. I also noticed the alcohol.

O: Somewhat oily in texture. Medium body with medium to strong carbonation.

O: A nice Oktoberfest beer.

A- Clear yellow with thin white lace

S- Clean with a slight hint of alcohol. Thin malts. More Euro Pale lager without the funk.

T&M- Malts are more pale malt than caramel. Very crisp and on the light end of medium bodied. Grainy and slightly toasted malts give way to some hop bitterness that leaves a clean, kinda dry finish with only a slight bit of alcohol burn.

D- This isn't what I think of when I want a Oktoberfest. This looks too pale and not very sweet. ABV is there but this smacks of Euro Pale Lager rather than Marzen. We shall call this O-Fest Light.

3.17/5  rDev -6.5%

bottle to pint.

A: Urine yellow, no head, little carbination.

S: Cereal grains, hints of hops.

T: Malt, and yeast with a bitter little finish.

M: A bit fizzy despite the utter lack of carbination bubbles.

O: It is what it is. easy to drink, no great flavor profile. To be enjoyed outside in the sun on a nice sunny afternoon, think I'll have another before the fog rolls in.

2.97/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured from the 1/2 liter brown glass bottle into my straight sided tumbler. White head quickly dissapates, leaving no lace. The beer is much lighter in color that other octoberfest beers, yellow rather than orange. The smell is of skunk and hops. The taste is of hop and sort of lagerish. Mouthfeel is very light and drinkability is good like a lager

just a thought,

barleyman

3.8/5  rDev +12.1%

pours a clear gold with several fingers of head and lots of carbonation.

smell is very sweet honey with some bite. very little hops.

taste is smooth sweet honey, no hops.

mouth is smooth and light with good carbonation.

overall fairly enjoyable light german beer.

3.94/5  rDev +16.2%

From notes 10/06/10. On-tap at the Dancing Bear.

A- Very light copper/dark yellow, 1 finger white head, no bubbling or lacing.

S- Medium malt (not overpowering or too strong), pecan, light brown sugar.

T/M- light/medium body, creamy, smooth, rich texture.

D- Excellent. This may be arguably the best Oktoberfest I've ever had, if not it is in my top three. You won't regret trying it.

3.08/5  rDev -9.1%

From my notes. This one has been readily available throughout my area (southern CT) since late summer.

Pours a completely transparent, straw yellow color, heavy carbonation, with a creamy crown. About one finger thick.

Malty, bready aroma. Lots of straw, grass, and soap, some diacetyl. More sweet malts, a little sugary. Quite heavy on the straw.

Extreme rush of carbonation on the tongue gives way to a crisp, lager taste. More straw on the tongue, a little tart, like lemons. Hop bitterness defined in the finish, lingering, but a light bitterness.

Malty/bready, a bit syrupy even, with crisp-tasting water struggling in the background. Overall, feels unbalanced, too much carbonation and a little too dull. Easy to drink.

3.01/5  rDev -11.2%

12oz. into an Impy pint.

Pours a dark straw-gold color with a fluffy white head. I guess this is the color of new-school OFests from Deutschland.

Smell is faintly skunky, but like someone else said, I think it's just a yeast strain I'm not used to. Other than that, some biscuity things, but not a lot of aroma from this one.

Taste is similar, biscuit malt, no real caramel to speak of, just kind of boring. This beer doesn't say much.

Mouthfeel is good at least, not spiky, but still lively. Pretty smooth.

This beer is just kind of blah, for me, so accordingly, I don't have much desire to drink more. Also, the smell is a bit off-putting.

2.43/5  rDev -28.3%

A-Pours a clear golden with less than a finger width of head and nice lacing on the glass.
S-A little funky, a little skunky and strangely a little hefe like (or I should say light).
T-Liquified cut grass is about as close as I can get with a sweet malty finish and woody oakey afternotes.
M-Medium bodied and moderately carbontated.
D-Maybe it's me, maybe I'm not a fan of Oktoberfest beers, maybe this is just not a good example of this beer. I was just not all that impressed with this brew.

2.57/5  rDev -24.2%

Very light in color. Appears as a Lager or Pilsner. Pours with a 1” head, but has minimal lace. Very clear. Grassy hop aroma is very present. Flavor is a very acid, grassy hop. Rests very lightly on the palate, and goes almost unnoticeable. However, finishes again with the acidic overtones. Overall a very disappointing Oktoberfest bier. Would be a very pleasing Lager, but as an Oktoberfest, it leaves a lot to be desired.
Green Bottle.

4.1/5  rDev +20.9%

Modern style Oktoberfest. Like a Helles brewed to "Fest" strength. Blonde in color. Spicy, noble hops along with some maltiness. Enjoyable, honey-like finish. Excellent beer. Not enough lager lovers on this site.

4.43/5  rDev +30.7%

This is a lovely example of a true classic in German beer. I bought a case of this stuff--advised, as a 6 pack in green glass--will defintely spoil if on the shelf in the light....(this may be the problem with other reviews...)--, after trying it at the local Oktoberfest on tap. It pours a very light color...looks like a pilsner actually, but that's where the resemblance ends. Nice frothy head--that stays there--typically German. Smells with a pleasent grainy distinctly barley, grassy air. Nice smooth taste, with a wonderful malty taste, balanced perfectly by the noble hops. Goes down smoothly, with a clean crisp, typically German again, hop aftertaste. A great session beer--but with a lot more flavor than typical pilsners. Having lived in Germany, I know good German beer. This is my favorite Oktoberfest by far...try it, if you want to taste what the Germans like in beer.

Just be careful to get it OUT OF THE CASE as the green glass bottles will allow it to be light struck and ruin the aroma and flavor quickly, if the bottles are exposed to light.

Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier from Hofbräuhaus München