Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier - Hofbräuhaus München

Hofbräuhaus München visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
medic25

Connecticut

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

Served in an authentic half-liter stein. Golden yellow color with a foamy white head. Crisp malty aroma. Taste did not strike me a being a Marzen. To be honest I thought I was drinking a pilsener. Clean, light flavor, with a hint of maltiness. Fairly drinkable,but it tasted closer to a Stella Artois than an Oktoberfest.

09-22-2006 01:49:51 | More by medic25
BEERchitect

Kentucky

3.58/5  rDev +5.3%

Good to see the Oktoberfests back in session. Though Hofbrauhaus' left me a bit disapointed. I was expecting a rich bready, malty, strong, flavorful brew. Thought the strength shined, the bready, medium-full texture, rich malts left me wanting more. Paler straw than expected, but the head retention and lacing is on par. Aromas of majorily grain and an estery fruitiness that was unexpected. Tastes more fruity and grain-like than that classic rich bready, caramel malt that I really wanted. The beer is left a little too standard-pilsner-like. The strength was there, leaving an alcohol flavor and mild heat in the finish. Just a touch of grain-bite in the finish and aftertaste.

09-21-2006 14:12:02 | More by BEERchitect
phisig137

2.73/5  rDev -19.7%

Pours a light golden color, with a small head with no retention. No lacing or ring around the glass. Looks fizzy and yellow to me.

Aroma is very light, and grainy. You can tell it is a lager from the aroma, but doesn't have much else. Almost smells like adjunct.

Flavor is again light and mild. None of the caramel and toasty notes that I look for in an oktoberfest. Slightly sweet hint of corn. Tastes like it's fizzy and yellow too. Mouthfeel is thin, and drinkability decent.

I'm really dissapointed by this one. Usually Hofbrauhaus has some nice beers, but this just doesn't do it. This borderline tastes like a macro offering. Perhaps this is the lighter oktoberfest that is served traditionaly in German, as opposed to the heavier version we get. Perhaps it just isn't that good of a beer.

09-18-2006 02:55:00 | More by phisig137
lancecjohnson

4.2/5  rDev +23.5%

I saw this at BevMo, and consididering how much I've liked their other offerings, I figured that I'd probably like this one as well.

The first thing that caught my attention was that it wasn't as dark as the Oktoberfests that I'm used to (Spaten, Samuel Adams, Gordon Biersch). The second thing that I noticed was that it poured a nice, thick head, and I had to let it sit for a few moments before I started to drink away.

I drank this with a plate of homemade fried chicken, and it certainly went well with that. It's smooth, but not quite as malty as the aforementioned Oktoberfests that I've had before. The hop flavor is about what one would probably expect from this style - not too pronounced, but definitely there.

I really liked this, and would probably get it again, especially if it was on sale.

09-17-2006 23:09:04 | More by lancecjohnson
sraimondi

Connecticut

4.18/5  rDev +22.9%

Interesting take on the style. Much lighter in color than other German O'Fests. Not much aroma, but traces of malt. Taste was the most interesting item here. Alot more balanced than the usual German O'Fest, which are usually over the top malt. This one is very nicely balanced with some hops in the finish. Mouthfeel was a little thinner than other O'Fests. Good drinkability. I like this one, even though it is not spot on for the style.

09-16-2006 19:43:15 | More by sraimondi
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

Appears a light copper with a thin white head leaves specks of lacing around my pint. Aroma has sweet apple notes with German noble grassy hop notes not the typical roastier nutty American interpretation of this style but okay. Flavor has a clean mild sweetness low hop bitterness but with some good hop flavor that grassy herbal character is great with a touch of cereal presence, I think I could drink this by the liter at an actual O fest much more so than the caramel malt infused versions. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied good sturdy carbonation flows smoothly. Drinkability is quality like I said not as complex as or quaffable as some but you could put a few of these away with no worries.

09-15-2006 13:13:12 | More by WVbeergeek
plaid75

3.9/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured a medium copper hue with a two finger pillowy white head. There was very good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a nice subtle sweet maltiness and a very nice soft doughiness.

The taste was also subtly sweet with an excellent grainy body and mild hint of caramel.

The mouthfeel was medium in fullness and mildly chewy.

Overall a very drinkable Oktober. Not as sweet as some of its German bretheren, which really appealed to me.

09-10-2006 23:12:06 | More by plaid75
veggiemafia

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

12oz. into an Impy pint.

Pours a dark straw-gold color with a fluffy white head. I guess this is the color of new-school OFests from Deutschland.

Smell is faintly skunky, but like someone else said, I think it's just a yeast strain I'm not used to. Other than that, some biscuity things, but not a lot of aroma from this one.

Taste is similar, biscuit malt, no real caramel to speak of, just kind of boring. This beer doesn't say much.

Mouthfeel is good at least, not spiky, but still lively. Pretty smooth.

This beer is just kind of blah, for me, so accordingly, I don't have much desire to drink more. Also, the smell is a bit off-putting.

09-08-2006 20:09:46 | More by veggiemafia
IntriqKen

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Incredible craggy snow white head sitting on top of a light straw colored clear beer.
Aroma a tiny bit of skunk but I think that may just be the scent of the lager yeast that I am not used to. Otherwise aromas of biscuit malts is very pleasant.
Taste of biscuits, sweet light malts, light hop drying on the tale-end. Nice.
Aftertaste is slightly sweet still..but clean and refreshing.
This is a good Marzen...mine might be slightly skunked (Damn! I wish Europe would stop using clear or green bottles)....I am not sure because normally I don't like lagers anyway. But when I get past the slight (and I mean slight) funk, this is very pleasant and I will enjoy finishing off the 6 pack.

09-02-2006 02:00:59 | More by IntriqKen
psinderson

2.85/5  rDev -16.2%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass.

Appearance: Very light copper, almost golden color with thick white head that dissipates slowly. Good lacing. Much lighter than other Oktoberfest's I've had.

Smell: Malty, vanilla overtones with a faint fruity (citrus?) background.

Taste: Very fruity and sweet up front. Finishes with a slight roasted flavor, but the overwhelming taste is sweet. Much less roasty than expected. There's a mid-level "twang" (for lack of a better term) that I can't quite define. After a few moments, a bitter throat taste appears.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, not much there.

Drinkability: This is way too sweet for me to have more than one at a time. All of the other Oktoberfest's I've tried have been more satisfying and drinkable.

I guess I thought that perhaps a German Oktoberfest would be closet to the style definition. Either all the others I've tried have it wrong, or this doesn't quite hit the mark. Not a bad beer, by any means, just not what I was expecting.

08-28-2006 00:46:09 | More by psinderson
geexploitation

Indiana

3.2/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours very, very light colored, with a nice frothy head that dissipates in time. Way too light for an oktoberfest, or at least what I think of as an oktoberfest. Smell is quite hoppy, just this side of skunked, with a slight malt note that, at warmer temperatures, starts smelling more like rice. On the palate, sweet at first with the malts, but very quickly this changes over into some zippy hop characteristics, much more in place in a German pilsner than an oktoberfest. Overall, this one doesn't fit the style to my mind, and the execution of what's here isn't great either.

08-22-2006 21:47:11 | More by geexploitation
acrawf6

Louisiana

3.95/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours out a dark straw/ slightly orange golden with a small white head that drops into nice lacing.

smell. An interesting smell that at first is a bit metallic. But as the beer settles, i get more of the malts, oaty and sweet honey.

Taste. I get a very natural sweetness. Lots of honey and sweet malts. It's quite nice. It has a small characteristic of honey nut cheerios. But the swallow and aftertaste is a touch dryer, but still a little bit sweet.

Mouthfeel. there is a good body here, has a nice smoothness, probably from the 6% alc. It fills my mouth quite nicely. Nice amount of carbonation and good balance.

Overall. This isn't my favorite oktoberfest, but is still solid and quite nice.

08-21-2006 02:39:40 | More by acrawf6
HoustonTX

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

A - Not the typical Oktober color, it's a dirty golden with a more carbonated base. Head is impressive, along with it's retention. Unique looking, so hoping the taste is as well.

S - Smells of sweet honey, really refreshing. Earthy, with a touch of coriander. Quite effervescent.

T - Mmm. Aye, the taste is really unique. I am really digging it. Upfront had a solid earthy malt base, unrelenting and definitely the backbone. It's touch of sweetness does not last long. Sweetness soon fades, and notes of sour citrus wash along with a sweeping wave of solid bitter hops. It's a very prominent bitter. Sour and bitter are the perfect match for this beer. It's mouthfeel is light, and well-carbonated. The drinkability is good.

A unique Oktober, and one that is quite refreshing. Solid beer, and one that I enjoyed thourougly.

08-13-2006 16:28:09 | More by HoustonTX
bigdeuce

4.1/5  rDev +20.6%

Worst thing about it is, it doesn't smell like much. Doesn't look like a typical Oktoberfest either. Looks like a pilser. Pours a decent head though...but it tastes OUTSTANDING! I was impressed with this one. Banana-caramel malts round this one out with a crisp, smooth taste. No metalic background, an outstanding brew here. Very malty and sweet and different than other Oktobers in it's own right.

08-03-2006 22:09:51 | More by bigdeuce
SkeeterHawk

4.2/5  rDev +23.5%

Appearance: Pours a clear slightly orange golden color with an active 1/4" head of very active white bubbles. The head only stuck around for about 30 seconds, and ended up as a small ring around the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very sweet toasty malt leads the entire aroma profile with a very subtle addition of floral hops. This beer smells refreshing. Sweet buttery malts give this beer a really full impression.

Taste: The flavor is equally as refreshing as the aroma suggested. Man, this beer is malty! It has such a toasty quality that it has an almost "burnt popcorn" flavor deep within. Even though the aroma suggested that it was going to be really rich and heavy, the flavor finishes pretty attenuated with an almost dry finish. There is a bit of a contribution of the hops in the finish, but they let the malt leave a bit of sweetness to linger for some time after the finish.

Opinion: This is a pretty good beer, and I think that it is a great representation of this style. I think that I was fortunate to get a pretty fresh example. I didn't get a lot of alcohol in the flavor, but there is some subtle warming after drinking...letting you know that there is some power lurking within this beer.

07-24-2006 22:20:50 | More by SkeeterHawk
AltBock

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

12oz. green bottle with a yellowish oval shape label with a picture of a German Oktoberfest in the center. The Oktoberfest on the label is happening in front of Hofbräu München with horses pulling a cart full of beer and with a Roller Coaster in the background. The back label had the history of the Oktobefest, US Govt. warning, and a bin or batch number on the back. Since it was in a green bottle I would have liked a date instead of a batch number, but I guess not.

Appearance: When poured into a mug, the beer was a light golden color with a fizzy head of white foam. I didn't know how big the head of foam was because it just dissipated away too fast. It left a couple of rings and no lace around the glass.

Smell: Thanks to the green bottle, the aroma was a bit skunky when I first popped the cap, but luckily that went away when I poured into the mug. What the aroma had turned into, was a grassy, grainy, malty with a pinch of hops aroma. I can say that that aroma was better then skunk, but not by much.

Taste: I thought that when I smelled skunk when I opened the bottle, that the taste would also be skunky and just a bad bottle. Well, the taste wasn't skunky. The taste that I got was sweet malts and with some crisp bitter hops at the end. Not much going on in the taste, but it was still ok.

Mouthfeel: It was light, crisp, and with a clean aftertaste of mild bitter hops. It was just glad that it wasn't watery at all.

Drinkability: I really can't say that much about this beer because there wasn't much going on in this beer. It was ok, but if you want a bottle, just be a little cautious because it's a green bottle and could have been exposed to too much light. Not a beer that I would pick up again!

06-20-2006 18:30:18 | More by AltBock
jarmby1711

Australia

4.05/5  rDev +19.1%

A persistent white head over a clear light to mid gold beer.Bubbles were relatively large sticking to the side of the glass and were regularly released to feed the foam.
An even malt smell that a\has a hint of sweetness but not overly so and is tempered by a hoppiness that is a little grassy.
The taste was pretty impressive.
For a Lager it is as complex as I have had.There is a smoothness combining the none too sweet malts and the hoppy bitterness that has an orange/chocolate liquer finish to it.
There is plenty of carbonation and bitterness making it a stimulating drink to have in your mouth
How can macro lagers be so far away from this?
lagers get pretty shitty PR and I think this beer redresses the issues in an ever so small way

05-26-2006 00:35:48 | More by jarmby1711
JMD71

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance: Golden with little head. Looks effervescent...

Smell: Malty, earthy with hints of fresh mown hay

Taste: Yeasty & crisp with solid malty base. Slight hop bite in the finish...

Mouthfeel: Smooth, clean feeling. Light to medium bodied.

Drinkability: Easy drinking. Can see these going down fairly quickly.

Comments: This was an average Oktoberfestbier. I've had many better, but I think a lot of the problem with this one was its freshness. I questioned its freshness, but there was no date on the bottle to tell. I think this would be a much different beer had it been sampled in Munich fresh. By the time it made it to my LBS, it tasted sort of tired....

03-31-2006 21:22:09 | More by JMD71
MUSHROOMCLOUD

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%

A - 1" white foamy head that retains well at 1/4". Honey gold (unexpected color for the style). Slow rising bubbles. Light lace.

S - Sweet malt. Spicy hop. Simple, basic, good.

T - Sweet, bready malt up front. A little metallic at first. Mineral. Light spicy bitterness.

M - Medium bodied mouthfeel. Clean finish. Medium carbonation.

D - Good flavor, easy to drink. Not far off from Hofbrau Original. Not what I expect from an Oktoberfest, but a good solid beer.

01-17-2006 02:38:19 | More by MUSHROOMCLOUD
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.63/5  rDev -22.6%

Medium gold topped by an eggshell colored head that has better than average persistence even though the bubbles look to be popping at a rapid rate. Unfortunately, there's almost no lace. I have never seen an Oktoberfest this light; it looks nothing like what it's 'supposed' to look like.

I'm beginning to wonder if Hofbrau Munchen mislabeled this bottle. Oktoberfestbier smells absolutely nothing like the stated style either. First of all, I got a huge whiff of skunk after popping the cap (thanks for the green bottle guys). That nastiness has faded for the most part, but I'm left with something that smells for all the world like an average Euro pale lager. The nose is dominated by musty, still slightly skunky hops, with no appreciable maltiness. Smelling like Heineken is not a good thing.

Malt has appeared on the palate, although it has none of that earthy, toasted, slightly dark flavor that the style demands. The flavor profile is equal parts pale malt, musty noble hops and alcohol. I'm amazed to see that the ABV is only 6%, it tastes like it's at least 8%, if not higher. Something is seriously amiss when a beer labeled as an Oktoberfest tastes like a dead ringer for a maibock or even a Euro strong lager.

Despite the maltiness, the beer isn't all that sweet. Neither is it all that bitter. Slightly harsh alcohol is the only flavor sensation that makes an impact on the tongue. Again, not a good thing. Despite a mouthfeel that's a few clicks more full than medium, and is slick and clingy, the flavor doesn't hang around very long. Now *that's* definitely a good thing.

Hofbrau Oktoberfestbier, to beat a dead horse, is a lousy example of the style. I wouldn't have picked it as an Oktoberfest if given five guesses. In spite of all that, the only thing that matters is whether or not it's good beer. As far as I'm concerned... not.

12-28-2005 01:39:44 | More by BuckeyeNation
daliandragon

3.78/5  rDev +11.2%

An interesting choice for my Christmas beer present from my girlfriend. Of course, it is a little behind the times but that's okay. I was meaning to try this two months ago but tons of things to drink before winter.
This beer starts with a middle gold color and a nice snowy cap of head.
The lace stays with every sip, coating the pilsner glass. The nose is thin with hops and caramel malt. I also detect some adjuncts which aren't as nice.
Taste is crisp and fresh and a little overcarbonated but not too bad. There are hints and fruit and spice laced around the malt The taste is only moderately strong but well balanced, with a hop backround.
This is a beer that grows on you. I can definitely see pounding endless giant steins of this next time I'm in Munich.

12-25-2005 20:34:30 | More by daliandragon
mntlover

Tennessee

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a medium golden color with a small white head and not much lace. Looks a little light for the style to me.

Aroma is light bready malt hops floral but light and zesty mingles with some sweetness and light spice. Fresh inviting soft aroma.

Taste is crisp light bready malt zesty hops mixed with some light spice clove like. Its a clean tasting Oktoberfest with a nice spicey finish but its not as malty as it should be for the style. That being said I still enjoyed this beer.

Mouthfeel is light crisp and clean tasting.

Drinkability is good an enjoyable beer nice and refreshing even if it is a little lighter then it should be. Thanks go to merlin48 for this sample.

11-28-2005 21:10:55 | More by mntlover
GCBrewingCo

3.73/5  rDev +9.7%

The beer poured into the glass crystal clear pale golden straw with a white and frothy head which eventually fell to nothing but coated the glass from top to bottom.

The aroma was malty and slightly vinous with a Munich and Vienna malt character. The aroma also contained a slight DMS.

The flavor was malty with a crispness and a light hop bite. The bittering was enough to keep the other flavors in check and to dry out the beer somewhat.

The finish was dry with a slightly grassy and slightly spicy bittering that lasted into the aftertaste. The body was medium and the carbonation rather low. Not as clean as the tap version, but tasty.

12 ounce bottle.

11-26-2005 00:04:02 | More by GCBrewingCo
apintofknowledge

3.85/5  rDev +13.2%

Hofbräu Munchen Oktoberfest is another one of the beers served at Munich’s Oktoberfest that is available here in the U.S. It comes in a green bottle, which normally isn’t a good sign. The appearance once poured threw me off as well. It was a pale golden color that appeared (and smelled) much more like a pilsner than the more common coppery-hued Fest brews. However, the taste was amazingly complex and enjoyable. It was tangy, with honey sweetness, tea-like tannins providing a contrasting earthiness, and decisively German hops providing a mildly bitter finish. The tiny bubbles of carbonation danced in my mouth, and the result was altogether quite impressive. I can only imagine how much better it would be straight from the tap in Munich.

11-17-2005 00:40:38 | More by apintofknowledge
falloutsnow

2.85/5  rDev -16.2%

Original review 11-14-2005
Revised 2011-10-04

Pours a golden yellow color, surprising for this style. 2cm head of dense bubbles that dissipates in less than thirty seconds, but a perpetual white froth remains with some lacing streaking the sides of the glass. Very visible and active carbonation with no murkiness or visible sediment.

Initial aroma is of light skunkiness (green bottles, why?), but after this, some faint hints of malt sweetness. That's about it.

The taste opens with an extremely slight touch of vanilla that blends into a hot, grainy cereal flavor. This transitions to a sweetness that borders on cloying. Begins close with a light, but upfront grain-laden bread and very mild bittering hops at the end. Aftertaste is fairly bland, mildly sweet.

Light to medium mouthfeel, slightly watery. Carbonation vigorous at first, but fades as the beer warms. Finish is semi-dry.

Overall, the Hofbrau is drinkable in the sense that it's gentle on the palate and is flavorful enough to be mildly enjoyable. My two reviews have generally not been kind to this, and I don't see a need to revisit for a third. I might try again if on tap, that's it. There are other Oktoberfests available (even locally) that I vastly prefer over this one.

11-14-2005 03:16:20 | More by falloutsnow