1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier - Hofbräuhaus München

Hofbräu OktoberfestbierHofbräu Oktoberfestbier

Hofbräuhaus München visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

(Served in a dimple mug)

A- This beer pours a golden straw yellow crystal clear body with a thin soapy head. There is a strong carbonation of tiny bubbles that rise to the surface.

S- This beer has a slight sweet but mostly dry honey malt smell with a faint Munich malt smell and a noble hops and sulfur finish that makes me think of a good Kolsch beer. As it warms the hops bitterness and sulfur dominate over the grain smells.

T- The bitey noble hop taste has a fresh Munich malt taste following it. There is a slight sweet sulfur note with a tangy bitterness of hops in the finish. It is a little bit of club soda in the finish.

M- The light mouthfeel has a fizz finish that boost the hop bitterness a bit.

D- This beer has a fresh malt flavor but it is overpowered by the noble hop bitterness that doesn't have much depth. I like the malt flavors and if the hops were a little lighter or had some depth to them this would be a good session beer.

rhoadsrage, Oct 10, 2006
2.7/5  rDev -21.1%

This beer was recommended by the bar tender. I was excited as the head was nice as well as the retention. However, the color was pale for an October fest. The smell was somewhat faint, small malts came through, it was hard to distinguish.
Taste: Balanced, but not a lot going on. I want thicker malts.
Mouthfeel: was somewhat crisp, but wasn't really clingy.
Drinkability: Easy to drink, I'd rather make a session out of another octoberfest brew though.

Revisited this 10-9-08. Not good stuff.

jasonjlewis, Oct 10, 2006
1.83/5  rDev -46.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: A very light golden, surprisingly light. Lots and lots of streamers feeding a thin, white, foamy head. Some lacing, despite the thin head.

S: Ugh. BMC scents--corn, wheat, unsourced bitter smells. No center, no fullness. Smells bad, really bad--not skunked, just bad. Freshness code is L152F 0939, so if this sucker is really old, please disregard. I haven't seen any issues of "held" O-fests around here, though, so I doubt it's a freshness issue.

T: This tastes like Miller High Life. Bland, over-carbonated, corn-flavored water. There's little to no complexity in the malt character at all, no disparate flavors, no hop quality at all. A thin abomination. Really just awful. I would have actually preferred High Life.

M: Light, unnoticeable, watery and weak. I'm so disappointed.

D: Rare drain pour. Could have finished it--it was merely insipid rather than offensive--but I'd much rather spend my time on something else.

BlackJeremiah, Oct 08, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours yellow with a poor white head. Smells grainy, with a hint of apples, and some skunk is present too. The taste is slightly tart and sweet, with some bitterness, and some skunk and sulphur tones in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is suprisingly heavy, but not extremely so. Drinkability is decent despite it's flaws. Ok, so this is oktoberfest beer, right? This beer would pass for pilsner. Probably a pretty fair pilsner, but oktoberfest? This almost seems like a mix up at the brewery to me. I gotta give low marks, just based on style, not so much because it's a bad beer.

zjungleist, Oct 08, 2006
2.7/5  rDev -21.1%

Pours a very pale golden color with a thin head that dissipates almost immediately. Light grainy aroma with a bit of off-putting skunkiness. As others have mentioned, the taste is more like your average Euro-lager. I found the sweetness to be a bit too heavy, and the skunkiness was present enough to not be enjoyable. This beer is a chore to drink, I don't recommend it.

LarryV, Oct 07, 2006

A- Clear yellow with thin white lace

S- Clean with a slight hint of alcohol. Thin malts. More Euro Pale lager without the funk.

T&M- Malts are more pale malt than caramel. Very crisp and on the light end of medium bodied. Grainy and slightly toasted malts give way to some hop bitterness that leaves a clean, kinda dry finish with only a slight bit of alcohol burn.

D- This isn't what I think of when I want a Oktoberfest. This looks too pale and not very sweet. ABV is there but this smacks of Euro Pale Lager rather than Marzen. We shall call this O-Fest Light.

teg8612, Oct 05, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +13.5%

12 oz. green bottle. Code on the back label is L152F 1121. Pours a clear golden color, with lots of tiny bubbles streaming from the bottom of the glass. Not exactly what you may picture for an Oktoberfest. Thick frothy white head holds very well. Slight sulfur and grassy aroma, along with pale, bready malt. Good amount of bready malt greets you, then gives way to a bit of herbal and grassy hops. A bit sweet. Pretty clean and balanced. Leans toward medium body with a good amount of carbonation. Very drinakble.

Bierguy5, Oct 04, 2006
3.25/5  rDev -5%

Part of Liquor Barns Ultimate Brew Crew Sept '06-Oktoberfest

A: Very pale yellow color, not the burnt orange of other Oktoberfest beers. A small head receeded quikly leaving little foam.

S: Less malt aroma than expected...actually it's a very plain smell. Nothing stands out.

T: Flavor is dominated by hop bitterness. This beer seems more like a Pilsner than an Oktoberfest. I also tast a hint of plain alcohol flavors.

M: Good balance of body for the hop level.

D: Not bad, but not at all what I was expecting from the style.

beakerboy, Oct 04, 2006
3.48/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

6 pack picked up at my local (La Bodega, Riverside, CA.) in late Sept. 2006 for $8.99. Let me start this by saying that I love Oktoberfest beers, and I am a big fan of the fun of Hofbrauhaus (at least the one in Vegas, my only chance so far).

Pours a surprisingly pale yellow with just a touch of orange, much lighter than typical for the style.

Aroma is sweet malts. As a previous reviewer said, smells like beer. Good, but nothing exciting.

Flavor of creamed corn. Not suggesting that corn is an ingredient, just that this has the same sweet flavor and creamy mouthfeel of creamed corn. It's saved by a nice little hop twang at the end of the swallow.

Overall, I can drink this beer. But I much rather go after one or two others of the style. I hope to get a chance to try it on draft soon- maybe it's better that way.

FOLLOW UP: I had a chance to try this on draft, fresh, at Hofbrauhaus in Las Vegas this past weekend. Far superior to the bottled version, I'm sure a lot of that is atmosphere (that's why I'm not fully reviewing it), but generally much better. Still not my favorite, though.

Dukeofearl, Sep 28, 2006
2.98/5  rDev -12.9%

This pours amber, like beer, leaving a few bubbles, like beer.

Smells like... beer. Bit of malt and hop, that is about it.

Taste is... beer... touch of malt, touch of hop, and.. um... smoke maybe?

Mouthfeel is like... beer..

Finish is like... beer...

Did they put the wrong beer in this oktoberfest bottle? It doesn't taste very special, it tastes like any boring bland beer. I don't recommend looking for this, if it is in front of you it is okay to consume, but it isn't worth going out of your way for.

karengarys, Sep 23, 2006
3.63/5  rDev +6.1%

Served in an authentic half-liter stein. Golden yellow color with a foamy white head. Crisp malty aroma. Taste did not strike me a being a Marzen. To be honest I thought I was drinking a pilsener. Clean, light flavor, with a hint of maltiness. Fairly drinkable,but it tasted closer to a Stella Artois than an Oktoberfest.

medic25, Sep 22, 2006
3.58/5  rDev +4.7%

Good to see the Oktoberfests back in session. Though Hofbrauhaus' left me a bit disapointed. I was expecting a rich bready, malty, strong, flavorful brew. Thought the strength shined, the bready, medium-full texture, rich malts left me wanting more. Paler straw than expected, but the head retention and lacing is on par. Aromas of majorily grain and an estery fruitiness that was unexpected. Tastes more fruity and grain-like than that classic rich bready, caramel malt that I really wanted. The beer is left a little too standard-pilsner-like. The strength was there, leaving an alcohol flavor and mild heat in the finish. Just a touch of grain-bite in the finish and aftertaste.

BEERchitect, Sep 21, 2006
2.73/5  rDev -20.2%

Pours a light golden color, with a small head with no retention. No lacing or ring around the glass. Looks fizzy and yellow to me.

Aroma is very light, and grainy. You can tell it is a lager from the aroma, but doesn't have much else. Almost smells like adjunct.

Flavor is again light and mild. None of the caramel and toasty notes that I look for in an oktoberfest. Slightly sweet hint of corn. Tastes like it's fizzy and yellow too. Mouthfeel is thin, and drinkability decent.

I'm really dissapointed by this one. Usually Hofbrauhaus has some nice beers, but this just doesn't do it. This borderline tastes like a macro offering. Perhaps this is the lighter oktoberfest that is served traditionaly in German, as opposed to the heavier version we get. Perhaps it just isn't that good of a beer.

phisig137, Sep 18, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +22.8%

I saw this at BevMo, and consididering how much I've liked their other offerings, I figured that I'd probably like this one as well.

The first thing that caught my attention was that it wasn't as dark as the Oktoberfests that I'm used to (Spaten, Samuel Adams, Gordon Biersch). The second thing that I noticed was that it poured a nice, thick head, and I had to let it sit for a few moments before I started to drink away.

I drank this with a plate of homemade fried chicken, and it certainly went well with that. It's smooth, but not quite as malty as the aforementioned Oktoberfests that I've had before. The hop flavor is about what one would probably expect from this style - not too pronounced, but definitely there.

I really liked this, and would probably get it again, especially if it was on sale.

lancecjohnson, Sep 18, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +22.2%

Interesting take on the style. Much lighter in color than other German O'Fests. Not much aroma, but traces of malt. Taste was the most interesting item here. Alot more balanced than the usual German O'Fest, which are usually over the top malt. This one is very nicely balanced with some hops in the finish. Mouthfeel was a little thinner than other O'Fests. Good drinkability. I like this one, even though it is not spot on for the style.

sraimondi, Sep 16, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

Appears a light copper with a thin white head leaves specks of lacing around my pint. Aroma has sweet apple notes with German noble grassy hop notes not the typical roastier nutty American interpretation of this style but okay. Flavor has a clean mild sweetness low hop bitterness but with some good hop flavor that grassy herbal character is great with a touch of cereal presence, I think I could drink this by the liter at an actual O fest much more so than the caramel malt infused versions. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied good sturdy carbonation flows smoothly. Drinkability is quality like I said not as complex as or quaffable as some but you could put a few of these away with no worries.

WVbeergeek, Sep 15, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +14%

Poured a medium copper hue with a two finger pillowy white head. There was very good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a nice subtle sweet maltiness and a very nice soft doughiness.

The taste was also subtly sweet with an excellent grainy body and mild hint of caramel.

The mouthfeel was medium in fullness and mildly chewy.

Overall a very drinkable Oktober. Not as sweet as some of its German bretheren, which really appealed to me.

plaid75, Sep 11, 2006
3.03/5  rDev -11.4%

12oz. into an Impy pint.

Pours a dark straw-gold color with a fluffy white head. I guess this is the color of new-school OFests from Deutschland.

Smell is faintly skunky, but like someone else said, I think it's just a yeast strain I'm not used to. Other than that, some biscuity things, but not a lot of aroma from this one.

Taste is similar, biscuit malt, no real caramel to speak of, just kind of boring. This beer doesn't say much.

Mouthfeel is good at least, not spiky, but still lively. Pretty smooth.

This beer is just kind of blah, for me, so accordingly, I don't have much desire to drink more. Also, the smell is a bit off-putting.

veggiemafia, Sep 08, 2006
3.18/5  rDev -7%

Incredible craggy snow white head sitting on top of a light straw colored clear beer.
Aroma a tiny bit of skunk but I think that may just be the scent of the lager yeast that I am not used to. Otherwise aromas of biscuit malts is very pleasant.
Taste of biscuits, sweet light malts, light hop drying on the tale-end. Nice.
Aftertaste is slightly sweet still..but clean and refreshing.
This is a good Marzen...mine might be slightly skunked (Damn! I wish Europe would stop using clear or green bottles)....I am not sure because normally I don't like lagers anyway. But when I get past the slight (and I mean slight) funk, this is very pleasant and I will enjoy finishing off the 6 pack.

IntriqKen, Sep 02, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -16.7%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass.

Appearance: Very light copper, almost golden color with thick white head that dissipates slowly. Good lacing. Much lighter than other Oktoberfest's I've had.

Smell: Malty, vanilla overtones with a faint fruity (citrus?) background.

Taste: Very fruity and sweet up front. Finishes with a slight roasted flavor, but the overwhelming taste is sweet. Much less roasty than expected. There's a mid-level "twang" (for lack of a better term) that I can't quite define. After a few moments, a bitter throat taste appears.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, not much there.

Drinkability: This is way too sweet for me to have more than one at a time. All of the other Oktoberfest's I've tried have been more satisfying and drinkable.

I guess I thought that perhaps a German Oktoberfest would be closet to the style definition. Either all the others I've tried have it wrong, or this doesn't quite hit the mark. Not a bad beer, by any means, just not what I was expecting.

psinderson, Aug 28, 2006
3.2/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours very, very light colored, with a nice frothy head that dissipates in time. Way too light for an oktoberfest, or at least what I think of as an oktoberfest. Smell is quite hoppy, just this side of skunked, with a slight malt note that, at warmer temperatures, starts smelling more like rice. On the palate, sweet at first with the malts, but very quickly this changes over into some zippy hop characteristics, much more in place in a German pilsner than an oktoberfest. Overall, this one doesn't fit the style to my mind, and the execution of what's here isn't great either.

geexploitation, Aug 22, 2006
3.95/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours out a dark straw/ slightly orange golden with a small white head that drops into nice lacing.

smell. An interesting smell that at first is a bit metallic. But as the beer settles, i get more of the malts, oaty and sweet honey.

Taste. I get a very natural sweetness. Lots of honey and sweet malts. It's quite nice. It has a small characteristic of honey nut cheerios. But the swallow and aftertaste is a touch dryer, but still a little bit sweet.

Mouthfeel. there is a good body here, has a nice smoothness, probably from the 6% alc. It fills my mouth quite nicely. Nice amount of carbonation and good balance.

Overall. This isn't my favorite oktoberfest, but is still solid and quite nice.

acrawf6, Aug 21, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

A - Not the typical Oktober color, it's a dirty golden with a more carbonated base. Head is impressive, along with it's retention. Unique looking, so hoping the taste is as well.

S - Smells of sweet honey, really refreshing. Earthy, with a touch of coriander. Quite effervescent.

T - Mmm. Aye, the taste is really unique. I am really digging it. Upfront had a solid earthy malt base, unrelenting and definitely the backbone. It's touch of sweetness does not last long. Sweetness soon fades, and notes of sour citrus wash along with a sweeping wave of solid bitter hops. It's a very prominent bitter. Sour and bitter are the perfect match for this beer. It's mouthfeel is light, and well-carbonated. The drinkability is good.

A unique Oktober, and one that is quite refreshing. Solid beer, and one that I enjoyed thourougly.

HoustonTX, Aug 13, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +19.9%

Worst thing about it is, it doesn't smell like much. Doesn't look like a typical Oktoberfest either. Looks like a pilser. Pours a decent head though...but it tastes OUTSTANDING! I was impressed with this one. Banana-caramel malts round this one out with a crisp, smooth taste. No metalic background, an outstanding brew here. Very malty and sweet and different than other Oktobers in it's own right.

bigdeuce, Aug 03, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +22.8%

Appearance: Pours a clear slightly orange golden color with an active 1/4" head of very active white bubbles. The head only stuck around for about 30 seconds, and ended up as a small ring around the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very sweet toasty malt leads the entire aroma profile with a very subtle addition of floral hops. This beer smells refreshing. Sweet buttery malts give this beer a really full impression.

Taste: The flavor is equally as refreshing as the aroma suggested. Man, this beer is malty! It has such a toasty quality that it has an almost "burnt popcorn" flavor deep within. Even though the aroma suggested that it was going to be really rich and heavy, the flavor finishes pretty attenuated with an almost dry finish. There is a bit of a contribution of the hops in the finish, but they let the malt leave a bit of sweetness to linger for some time after the finish.

Opinion: This is a pretty good beer, and I think that it is a great representation of this style. I think that I was fortunate to get a pretty fresh example. I didn't get a lot of alcohol in the flavor, but there is some subtle warming after drinking...letting you know that there is some power lurking within this beer.

SkeeterHawk, Jul 24, 2006