Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier - Hofbräuhaus München

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

3.62/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a very clear yellow with a thick foamy white head that dies down, some lacing.

Smells of honey, biscuity malts, grassy hops with a bit of lemon.

Tastes of sweet biscuity malts, honey, very grassy and a strange bitter aftertaste. Not a terrible beer, but nothing special either.

Has a somewhat thick mouthfeel, and a pretty drinkable and refreshing beer, but I wouldn't buy this one again.

3.48/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a freshly windexed window clear pilsner shade of gold with a two finger, foamy white head that leaves some decent lace. Vast amount of strong carbonation is clearly visible.

Upon opening straight from the fridge, it gave off a smell of freshly skunked adjunct, but as the beer began to warm, spoonfuls of grassy hops, light fruity esters, biscuit and some more grassy hops began to show.

Light fruity esters, biscuit, bready malts, and dry grassy hops is all I get in this beer. Seems to be quite bland and watered down.

Smooooth, well balanced (for the flavours that are there) and light bodied. Despite the large amount of carbonation visible, it isn't that noticeable. This beer is the definition, the embodiment, the epitome, the essence of a quaffer. Light, smooth, refreshing and crisp. This would be a sweet sessioner for me if it wasn't as pricey.

Being my first Oktoberfest, I wasn't all that impressed. The smell is funky and taste is lacking. The highlight of this beer, by far, is its drinkability. Highly recommended for sessioning, but nothing else.

2.07/5  rDev -39.8%

Pours a surprisingly pale orangey yellow topped by an ample, rocky white head that laces and retains wonderfully.

It smells like a pint of Stella Artois that is sitting on a table in another room. Floral. Sweet. Skunky. But it's subtle and somewhat artificial.

The taste is very Czech pilsner. Sweet biscuity malt against floral, grassy hops with something approaching lemon rind in the finish. Some breadiness creeps in as things go along as does some corn. It's not quite awful, but it's close.

It's a medium mouthfeel, well carbonated and yeah. Not bad in this regard I suppose.

I was excited to see the LCBO offering an Oktoberfestbier, but it turns out they didn't. At least, to me this beer has more in common with the myriad of generic Euro lagers they already carry--light struck skunkiness and all--than any of the Oktoberfestbier I have ever had.

Huge disappointment.

3.31/5  rDev -3.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada Imperial Pint. "Ale" on the back...whatever that means. Numbers too, but nothing that looks like a date.

A - Clear pale yellow golden in color with a huge three-finger cream-colored head. Fantastic retention and as it went down it got rocky and left lots of lacing on the glass.

S - A bit sulfury on the nose but not skunked by any means. More of a Euro lager nose. Pale malts with a bit of caramel sweetness in the background. A finish of mild hops in the aroma.

T - It starts off with a cloying sweetness from pale malts and moves right into a dry hoppy flavor that has a very light touch of citrus.

M - A bit thin feeling but closer to medium in body than light. Dry to the finish and just a touch more carbonation that I'd like to feel.

D - A bit below average for the Oktoberfests I've had this season. It's a fantastic looking beer but has a mediocre delivery in all other categories. I wouldn't ever pass up a free one but would never hunt it down.

2.78/5  rDev -19.2%

green bottle into old spec pint glass

A - golden straw body with a big white head. the foam retains for a decent amount of time, but that body colour is just all wrong.

S - I smell something distinctively like a skunk when I opened the bottle. I can still smell it when the beer isnt to my nose. when it is held up to my nose the brew has a blast of somethign like a cheap pine air freshner, which goes away as soon as the kind of bland malts set in. I also distinctively smell unripe mango, which is very weird; maybe this is what skunked hops smell like, I wonder how i think it is mango?

T - despite the smell, the taste isnt as bad as I thought it would be; overall it is just kind of bland and boring. the initial is a decent balance of hops and malts, the hops only pinch with a bit of bitterness. the finish is malty and slightly sweet. the aftertaste is a faint maltiness. quite boring, and not a festbier.

MF&D - a decently thick brew with enough carbonation, the only problem is that it isnt a very good tasting brew for an oktoberfest beer. this would, however, make an excellent euro lager.

3.98/5  rDev +15.7%

To get into the real spirit of things with this beer I figured why not grill up some Oktoberfest sausages, braise some Savoy cabbage and boil up some nice mash, everything short of polka.

Well now that I had my spread in front of me time to bring my attention to the golden honey coloured Märzen with its froth off white head awaiting my consumption.

The smell was first off very bisucty and bready as I would expect from the amount of malt used in this style. Following were the refreshing, and definitely appropriate for fall, scents of apple and grape. A slight grassy note from the hops rounded out the bouquet nicely.

After a few mouthfuls of my Bavarian platter it was time to see Hofbräu washed down the fine fare of its homeland. A big punch of sweet yet crisp malt initially quenched my thirst with a surprisingly smooth and full mouth feel lingering on to a mild hoppy, alcohol bite in the end. Continuing on with my mini Oktoberfest the head had long since dissipated but the rest remained true to my first impressions getting slightly breadier as it warmed up.

With my stomach full and my thirst quenched id have to say this was a good beer especially along with its atypical food accompaniments. I would have liked it to be a bit darker and maybe a bit more complex malt in the profile but otherwise a decent beer for the style.

3.78/5  rDev +9.9%

Appearance: Crystal clear and golden in colour, with a huge foamy white head, and heavy carbonation.

Aroma: Noticeable maltiness, with a sweet grain aroma, lots of flowery German hops, and a touch of caramel.

Taste: Lots of bready malts at the top, with subtle sweetness, followed by a boraderline bitterness with a earthy twang, and finished with a creamy hoppiness.

Mouthfeel: very lively and fresh in the palete, with a smoothish feel.

Drinkability: Very good Oktoberfest beer, with a nice mix of flavours and a impressive drinkability.

2.61/5  rDev -24.1%

Picked this up a the local store was told this was fresh, not so sure...

Pours an effervescent gold with 3+ fingers of ivory colored head. Good lacing & head retention

S: Soapyness & cereal

T: Soapyness, cereal sweetness & dryness up front. Soapyness & diathechyl (sic) & cereal sweetness as this warms. Finishes cloying with soapyness & a bit of booze

MF: Light /medium bodied, semi crisp with low carbonation

Drinks slow, might buy this as a Pilsner, but this so riddled with flaws, why is any one still using green glass? Will try again, if I can find it von fass. Avoid this unless you KNOW it's fresh

2.41/5  rDev -29.9%

500 ml bottle from LCBO.

Pours a crystal clear light amber, fizzy white head forms and quickly disappears down to almost nothing, no lace on the glass, looks a little light in colour for a marzen.

Smell is very light, kind of fruity, a bit of skunk, honey, almost no malt presence, light bit of grassy and floral hops but almost no aroma going on.

Taste is slightly better but still not very good, some sweet malts, caramel and honey, a bit of biscuit, some floral and grass, lightly skunky, has a funny metallic finish to it, hard to describe but this isn't very good either.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, slightly syrupy feeling, medium carbonation. Flavour is a little better but still not a very good marzen. 0 for 2 tonight it looks like.

2.3/5  rDev -33.1%

In which world this is an oktoberfest I do not know.

Pours a brilliant gold with an eggshell white head, which leaves a few streaks of lace as it settles to a collar. Lazy bubbles rise to the surface before bursting into free air. No dark coloured o-fest here, more of a helles or pils than anything, but moving on.

The aroma is grassy, and one would say, almost skunky. Its hard to tell whether this is intentional or a result of the green bottle, but either way its how the beer arrived to me (green bottles be damned). Beyond the grassiness there is a robust maltiness to be found, but we're still far removed from the nose of your regular oktoberfest.

The clincher is the taste. Serve me this blind and I'd say it was a decent Czech Pils. Give it to me in the context of an Oktoberfest and I'd ask whether your joking. A strong grassiness overlays sweet pale malts. The finish is sweet and mildly bready. The body is medium light with carbonation at about the same level, but at this point the beer has already lost the plot and been derailed by its pure inability to carry the style off.

For some reason I imagined that Hofbrau's Oktoberfest would have been one of the greats for the style, but I'm sadly disappointed. This was crap.

3.1/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Fairly dark gold, poured 4 fingers of head which reduced.

Smell - Pretty sweet and malty for a lager.

Taste - Munich malts dominate the taste. The main flaw is that this beer is quite bitter, but does not have the flavour to back it up. The bottle I had was within expiry, but not very fresh.

Mouthfeel - Fairly heavy for the style, low carbonation.

Drinkability - Would be better when fresh.

Overall - Not a good export beer. Although I haven't been to Munich Oktoberfest, I suggest trying it there instead.

3.53/5  rDev +2.6%

Consumed 10/17/2009- from notes.

Green 11.2oz bottle poured into a shaker glass.

A- Very pale gold with a two finger white head that settled to a thick skim that lasted the rest of the glass. Good lacing, pretty active carbination. Definitely the palest Oktoberfest I've had.

S- Sweet, grassy and a touch skunky.

T- Floral, light fruits, a little hop bite at the end. Virtually no aftertaste.

M- Light body, smooth and crisp.

D- Very easily sessionable. Makes me wish I had picked up a six instead of a single.

3.77/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Looks like a slightly darker Helles but not as much as you would expect - no copper tinge...

Smell is of Munich malts and not much else - the tatste follows suit!

Mouthfeel is refreshing and rich with minimal aftertaste - very good.

Despite the deficiencies in look and smell I d have another one

3.6/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a pale gold with a decent fluffy white head. Decent head retention. The colour here is just far too pale.

Solid sulphur edge to the aroma. Maybe a light malt sweetness also comes through.

Good clean lager with plenty of bitterness. The balance between bitterness and malt seems to be out of kilter with the style with the beer coming across more as a pilsner than an Oktoberfest. There are some reasonable sweet malts in the attack but they really fall back to a supporting role through the mid and back palates. Medium dry finish.

Light to medium, well attenuated body with a lively, crisp carbonation. Nice and refreshing.

A decent lager just not the epitome of the Oktoberfest style. I can see it being quite easy to drink a few of these.

11.2 oz green bottle. No freshness date. Pint Glass

A: Pours a light golden yellow with a large white fluffy head. When the head goes down it leaves good looking lacing.

S: Strong crisp aroma with lots of grain and sweet malts. A little skunky with an alcohol aroma.

T/M: Crisp at first then hops turn bitter. Dry at the end. A light alcohol taste is their with grains and malt sweetness.

D: Not like the american style oktobers. This is how the Germans make em. It's like a euro lager. The taste is different at first but the higher ABV makes me want more. Although I still prefer more complex darker Oktoberfests.

Cheers!!

3.31/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Hobrauhaus Munchen Oktoberfest poured a brilliantly clear golden hue with a sustained thick white head. Very active carbonation throughout the pint. The aroma consists mostly of grainy notes, a slight hint of hops and a bit of skunkiness as well.

Lots of pale malt in the taste with a bit of alcohol and fruitiness. Hop bitterness present in a faintly dry finish. A pleasant taste the defied my expectations after noting the appearance and smell.

Medium-bodied with ample carbonaton. A good, crisp and clean beer. A drinkable beer and much better than I expected after the pour.

3.88/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from the bottle a bright, clear copper-gold with the thinnest of white caps.

Lighter aroma of apples, berries, floral soap and a touch of skunkiness which faded away after a few minutes.

The taste opened up with floral hops, cinnamon, apples, and light grains and malts. Finish is quite clean.

Lighter bodied, crisp and dry, and moderately carbonated.

I enjoyed this one quite a bit. Clean, crisp, and flavorful.

1.65/5  rDev -52%

Had this right after the Berkshire Oktoberfest, which may have negatively affected my scoring on this one.

Poured a pale yellow into a liter mug. Not appealing in the least, especially after so many other Oktoberfest beers are gorgeous deep browns and oranges. The color of this beer does not make me want to drink it?

The smell was so weak that I couldn't discern notes of much of anything from it.

Tasted and felt watery and bland. Slight bitter aftertaste, but not in a pleasant way. I struggled to finish this beer. Also, no malt?

I will have to try this again as the first beer of the night some time. If I do, I will re-review. But, I don't think I'll actively seek this out.

3.98/5  rDev +15.7%

Half liter on tap at hofbrau restaurant in Panama City Beach, Florida. I have already tried this from bottle.

The beer arrived with a slightly cloudy, golden color with a fluffy white head.

As with most oktoberfests I have tried, this one lacked in aroma. Some faint malty, bready aromas.

Very restrained gentle malty flavor with hints of European hops coming through. This is a mild fest beer, and I must say it does not taste any better on draft than in the bottle.

Medium bodied with lighter than expected carbonation.

This is an excellent quaffer even at 6.0 ABV. It goes down extremely well and has enough character and taste to keep your interest.

2.84/5  rDev -17.4%

11.2oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. No recognized bottle date.

(A)- Pours a crystal clear pale straw yellow color that produced a great 2+finger white bubbly head that left lacing behind as it quickly dissipated. Whats with the color? Doesnt look like an oktoberfest.

(S)- A very dry pale ale character of a woody very subdued pine with a bit of lemon peel. Where's the malt?

(T)- Very dry with an ample hop bitterness with a light twinge of lemon and a mineral funk. I thought this was an Oktoberfest, not a pale ale?!

(M)- Dry, bitter, sweet, and funky with good carbonation. Tastes great, but is nowhere near what an Oktoberfest should be like.

(D)- Is this really an oktoberfest? Its more like a pale ale to me. . . . Its good, but doesnt fit the style at all. I would have given it better scores in both appearance, smell,and taste, but this beer just doesnt fit its declared style at all. At first I thought it was just old, but then there would be alot of malt characters, instead its totally dry and hoppy :/
Definitely not what I would choose when picking out a good oktoberfest.

3.7/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a- bottle poured into a pint, one finger head, great lacing mix of bubles and lace, straw yellow color, very light coloring for an oktoberfest.

s- grass, clean, grainy, not roasty at all or overall malty for that matter.

t- grainy, grassy, light malt, i didn't like this for an oktoberfest, to me it's much more like a munich helles.

m- light and crisp in the mouth.

d- good drinkability, the most off-style oktoberfest in my opinion, but as a beer it was enjoyable, just not as an oktoberfest.

3.46/5  rDev +0.6%

Here we go, round three of the German Oktoberfest Invitational, and one that is officially part of the real German Oktoberfest in Munich. On to the beer:

The color screams more helles lager than amber O-fest. Bright straw yellow in the body, the head is thick, frothy, and continuting to hold up in my stange. The aroma is on the lgihter side. True, a littel skunk emerges, but look past that a get a little bit of sweet pale malt and fume of pineapple.

It's certainly sweeter tasting than the brand's helles, but not quite alcoholic enough to be a maibock. Slightly grassy hops mixed with a sweet pale malt. Pretty straightforward, though the green bottle makes the hops a little more rough in the beer. I would still give it a go.

Three beers down, one to go in the German Oktoberfest Invitational. See you tomorrow for the conclusion.

3.48/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a green glass into my SA Perfect Pint glass with a finger and a half head and a clear very light golden color. Much lighter than expected from an Oktoberfest/Marzen to be sure.

A strong lemony/grassy hop aroma pervades the nose reminding me more of a pilsner beer than an Oktoberfest. Am I going to be extremely disappointed here?

Strangely enough the first taste is very familiar; malty sweetness and biscuit flavors I've come to expect in an Oktoberfest but definitely getting a strong Euro Lager feel from it too with the lemony hops. The body is medium to slightly thin with slight carbonation.

Totally not what I'm used to in an Oktoberfest lager but pleasant nonetheless.

3.42/5  rDev -0.6%

Much paler than normal for the style. Very bad sign to begin with.

Is that slight skunk or is that hops I'm smelling? I'm going with hops.

Taste is clean. Not much caramel notes to speak of. Slight amount of butter. Almost like a "Munich lager" than an Oktoberfest.

Personally, I would take a pass with this and try out other offerings.

3.89/5  rDev +13.1%

Comes in a green 11.2 ounce bottle with a copper colored cap. This one is a lighter style than most Oktoberfests, brewed to be consumed in the tents in Munich, similar to Warsteiner's Oktoberfest in color.

Pours gold with the slightest hint of orange and a soapy looking 2 finger head. The head dissipates rather quickly, not the finest looking head. The body looks stunning and crystal clear though.

Hints of Original Hofbrau dot the nose along with a nice Oktoberfest biscuity, nutty malt scent. The hops are a bit more prevalent in this Oktoberfest than most. No hints of skunkage, I'm confident this bottle is about as fresh as they get.

The taste is a lot like the regular Hofbrau with that nice hop bite but with nuttier malts. If you blindfolded me I could have easily guessed this as a Hofbrau product. It isn't the dark Oktoberfest style Americans have come to know, but it holds its own in the field of beers consumed during Oktoberfest.

It is a lot like regular Hofbrau, if you like that you will like this, if you are a fan of darker Okroberfests you might want to wait on it.

Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier from Hofbräuhaus München