Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier - Hofbräuhaus München

Hofbräuhaus München visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

What sobuf posted is nearly 100% accurate. My only correction is that Warsteiner should not be on the list of Bavarian beers. It's from the North, not Munich. Otherwise, the comments are spot on. Criticizing any of the Munich Märzen beers as "not representative of the style" is laugh out loud absurd. An apt comparison would be claiming that Maker's Mark or Woodcord Reserve don't represent Kentucky bourbon - they ARE Kentucky bourbon, for crying out loud. Same for Chimay and Belgian Trappist Ale, Bavarian breweries and Hefeweizens, etc.

This is an excellent example of an Oktoberfest beer. I'm having one at this very moment, and it's delicious.

4.24/5  rDev +23.3%

4.21/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

yep. these ARE the original brews we drank years ago while America was languishing in Zima and Bartles n Jaymes....... I have had poor opinion of these recently but they truly are the originals. I miss being able to guzzle a hugely tasteful, hearty brew like this. gulping this down, I had a flashback to my Spaten days at Old World in Huntington Beach. anyone remember Club-Weisse? this aint it, but dang it provided a great flashback! prosit!

4.2/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Straw yellow. Two finger head dissolves to thin bubbly lace.
Very bubbly. Interestingly, when the head dissolved, the aroma all but left.

S - Smells of yeast, bread, grain, floral, metallic.

T - Creamed corn, grain, mild yeasty aftertaste. Pretzel in the middle. Light hop profile. Lightly full of flavor with a solid malty backbone.

M - Moderate body. Crisp carbonation, but balanced by the smoothness of the malt back bone.

D - A top notch drinakle lager. Very crisp, very refreshing. Very intersting. I have fallen in love with this beer. Everything is right where I want it to be. I wouldn't change a thing. Cheers to Oktoberfest!!!

4.2/5  rDev +22.1%

I saw this at BevMo, and consididering how much I've liked their other offerings, I figured that I'd probably like this one as well.

The first thing that caught my attention was that it wasn't as dark as the Oktoberfests that I'm used to (Spaten, Samuel Adams, Gordon Biersch). The second thing that I noticed was that it poured a nice, thick head, and I had to let it sit for a few moments before I started to drink away.

I drank this with a plate of homemade fried chicken, and it certainly went well with that. It's smooth, but not quite as malty as the aforementioned Oktoberfests that I've had before. The hop flavor is about what one would probably expect from this style - not too pronounced, but definitely there.

I really liked this, and would probably get it again, especially if it was on sale.

4.2/5  rDev +22.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear slightly orange golden color with an active 1/4" head of very active white bubbles. The head only stuck around for about 30 seconds, and ended up as a small ring around the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very sweet toasty malt leads the entire aroma profile with a very subtle addition of floral hops. This beer smells refreshing. Sweet buttery malts give this beer a really full impression.

Taste: The flavor is equally as refreshing as the aroma suggested. Man, this beer is malty! It has such a toasty quality that it has an almost "burnt popcorn" flavor deep within. Even though the aroma suggested that it was going to be really rich and heavy, the flavor finishes pretty attenuated with an almost dry finish. There is a bit of a contribution of the hops in the finish, but they let the malt leave a bit of sweetness to linger for some time after the finish.

Opinion: This is a pretty good beer, and I think that it is a great representation of this style. I think that I was fortunate to get a pretty fresh example. I didn't get a lot of alcohol in the flavor, but there is some subtle warming after drinking...letting you know that there is some power lurking within this beer.

4.18/5  rDev +21.5%

Tried this beer at the Goose Island Oktoberfest Beer Academy. I can see why this beer gets such low ratings - I don't understand, at all, how it can be labelled an O-fest beer. But after I threw this aside, and tasted it not as a particular style, but based on its own generally merits, I loved the beer.

Pours a very light, extremely yellow color (the first clue that something is up with this beer's categorization), with a nice white head and a very large amount of carbonation. The scent is malty and a bit hoppy.

The taste starts out with a nice honey, slightly sweet beginning that moves to an earthy hop finish that lingers for a really long time on my palate. Nothing too sophisticated or complex, but damn is that drinkable and tasty. It's just not an Oktoberfest beer as I know them.

Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier from Hofbräuhaus München