Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier - Hofbräuhaus München

Hofbräuhaus München visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
happy4hoppybeer

2.1/5  rDev -38.1%

Pours a lame, non-oktoberfest pale, Americanized-like urine straw yellow, with foamy white head about half a finger thick. Decent retention, solid lacing. I wanted this to have a darker appearance.

Boring, grainy and weak aromas, no hop presence, light on malts. Very grassy. Not impressed.

Stupid grainy taste, very little malts, no hop areas at all. Thin body with heavy carbonation.

The supposed 6.3% ABV is about all this is good for. Oktoberfest-Marzen my butt, this really just a pale lager, and not very good.

Serving type: nitro-tap

09-12-2011 20:22:16 | More by happy4hoppybeer
JDV

2.1/5  rDev -38.1%

Hmmm... mine came in a green bottle and was slightly skunky. I'm pretty sure somebody poured a heineken or red stripe into this hofbrau bottle, b/c that is exactly what it tasted like. Nothing like an Oktoberfest/Marzen I've had before.. Looks and smells like a pale lager. Some yeastiness, some light malt and faint bitterness, and while not offensive aside from the light skunking, this is a horrible example of the style and not worth getting at all.

02-24-2008 18:05:02 | More by JDV
DrJay

2.1/5  rDev -38.1%

Crystal clear straw yellow with a short white cap of fine bubbles. Spotty lacing, decent head retention. My first impression is not very good -- this looks way too light in colour for a proper Oktoberfest. Very mild aroma, grainy malt, very faint toast and bread, hint of grassy hops. The flavour was similarly disappointing. The bitterness was alright, on the light side but with good presence, but the malt character was very thin and echoed the aroma. Slightly fruity, but mild flavour overall. The texture was decent, medium to light bodied with moderate carbonation and not overly dry. While I had no problem drinking a bottle of this, it's a poor marzen.

08-29-2010 21:25:00 | More by DrJay
aasher

Indiana

2.13/5  rDev -37.2%

I poured this one against my better judgment. I normally NEVER drink anything out of a green bottle but I took a leap of faith. It pours a watery piss, straw yellow with a light white head. It smells just like Coors Light. The taste isn't quite as bad, but it's not very good. It's got very little character and is slightly sweet, as if they poored honey into a lager. The mouthfeel is very light and crisp. It has good carbonation. Overall this is a very poor Oktoberfest and not very drinkable. I expect better from Hofbrau.

09-27-2010 23:20:38 | More by aasher
tophers

2.15/5  rDev -36.6%

Green bottle...can't wait. Hoping it wasn't sunked, but alas no such luck. Moderate amount of skunkiness in the aroma with some malt background. The skunkiness came over in the flavor too. Would like to try this from the tap in Germany as I think it would be a really great beer if it was packaged better.

09-14-2012 22:30:55 | More by tophers
Tballz420

2.15/5  rDev -36.6%

Jezuz F-ine Christopherson, another Oktober in a green bottle!? What is going on Germany?

Hofbrau Oktoberfestbier is a deep gold colored beer, very clear, small white head, a bit of lace. The nose has a distracting amount of skunk in it, topping a bland pale lager scent. The taste has me shaking my head, more skunk, a bit of a nicer malt profile than the Spaten, but not by much. Ugh, what the fuck Germany?

08-27-2011 01:05:46 | More by Tballz420
deebo

2.18/5  rDev -35.7%

A-served in a stein this one has much less color than most-definitely more golden than amber. The white head quickly is gone leaving hints of lace on the glass.
S-not a lot going on here-very light on the sweet malt, very pale
T-same as aroma
M-fairly clean finish, otherwise pretty average across the board
O-Really surprised that even on tap this one has some hints of skunk. One of my least favorite marzens

10-19-2012 02:12:52 | More by deebo
slassy

2.2/5  rDev -35.1%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours single finger head that dissipates quickly, leaving little foam on top. A golden honey color.

S: Very grainy, almost sour even.

T: Sour and leafy tasting. Almost makes your chin pucker half way through if you drink it too fast.

M: Lightly carbonated, extremely smooth, goes down effortlessly. Clean and dry finish.

O: My first Marzen, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. However, not really what I was expecting from an Okotoberfest beer (weak in my mind). One plus I will give it is that it wouldn't be bad for a long, all-day drinking session, as it wouldn't be hard to put many of these away.

09-12-2011 03:48:08 | More by slassy

kbrown

09-30-2012 23:10:23 | More by kbrown
budgood1

2.25/5  rDev -33.6%

pale straw in color, no head and no lace. euro skunk aroma with very little head and no lace. this is an o-fest? seems more like mass produced euro-crap with a hint of some munich malt. this is not a bad beer in general but an abomination of an o-fest. in fact it tastes nothing like an o-fest. i'd have trouble discerning between this most other euro lagers. nothing special.

10-16-2002 17:26:21 | More by budgood1
jpkoch1962

Indiana

2.28/5  rDev -32.7%

This is no Oktoberfest Bier. It pours a straw yellow with a quick disappearing head. The aroma was a mix of flowery hops, some dry crackers and a bit of toffee. The body was thin with little mouth feel. The tast was the same as the body, thin, slightly sweet with just a tinge of dry bitterness at the end. This so-called Oktoberfest Bier was, in other words, just a normal Industrial Euro-Lager with an Oktoberfest label.

09-14-2009 19:08:31 | More by jpkoch1962
bobsy

Ontario (Canada)

2.3/5  rDev -32.2%

In which world this is an oktoberfest I do not know.

Pours a brilliant gold with an eggshell white head, which leaves a few streaks of lace as it settles to a collar. Lazy bubbles rise to the surface before bursting into free air. No dark coloured o-fest here, more of a helles or pils than anything, but moving on.

The aroma is grassy, and one would say, almost skunky. Its hard to tell whether this is intentional or a result of the green bottle, but either way its how the beer arrived to me (green bottles be damned). Beyond the grassiness there is a robust maltiness to be found, but we're still far removed from the nose of your regular oktoberfest.

The clincher is the taste. Serve me this blind and I'd say it was a decent Czech Pils. Give it to me in the context of an Oktoberfest and I'd ask whether your joking. A strong grassiness overlays sweet pale malts. The finish is sweet and mildly bready. The body is medium light with carbonation at about the same level, but at this point the beer has already lost the plot and been derailed by its pure inability to carry the style off.

For some reason I imagined that Hofbrau's Oktoberfest would have been one of the greats for the style, but I'm sadly disappointed. This was crap.

10-21-2009 00:01:07 | More by bobsy
patra7

Greece

2.35/5  rDev -30.7%

Appearance: Thick white head about 1 inch, yellow/gold color. Clear.
Smell: Hops, grassy and perhaps slightly acidic.
Taste: Hoppy / bitter at first but then more malty and definitely semi-sweet. The two tastes (sweetness and bitterness… or was it acidity?) didn’t seem to complement but rather… fight each other in an “unbalanced” / weird short of way. As if both were there but without any willingness to work together
Mouthfeel: First feel, at the tip of the tongue, is rather sharp, but then it gets smoother. Overall medium body.
Drinkability: The more I got down to it the less I liked it. Maybe it had gone bad, although the expiration date was still 3-4 months away.

05-06-2011 23:21:07 | More by patra7
JerzDevl2000

2.38/5  rDev -29.8%

Octoberfest: Say the word and you probably think of lederhosen, big parties with communal tables, beer girls dressed in traditional garb, and a brew like this. I sure did so when I saw this available via the single bottle, I figured that this would be a great brew to enjoy the season with, even if I couldn't get to a real event like those in Germany attend every year. Like so many others on here, I was let down by this beer from the moment I poured it out. I know that Marzens aren't the highest rated brews on here, but I do expect an imported offering like this to have some taste, body, and drinkability to it!

Light pour to this was a good head and lacing that was better than expected. Those were the best aspects of this beer as the aroma was practically nonexistent and the head faded fairly quickly. Marzen's tend to be a bit thin in the mouthfeel for me but even this didn't match up to my less-than-lofty expectations. There was straw, grass, and floral notes to this beer but I couldn't wonder how much of the taste had to do with the green bottle. Sure enough, this tasted skunked as soon as I took a sip and because this hadn't been on the shelf that long, I think that spoke more about the beer than the presentation of it. Further tasting of this led me to wonder what style it was, since it reminded me of an Adjunct Lager in every aspect. The filler seemed less than up to standards and the aftertaste was sour enough to beg for a chaser - any type that would alleviate the lingering and uneasy bitterness.

I have no idea how something this bad could be so strong in the alcohol department. This is not the kind of beer I would want to get drunk on and even though the carbonation didn't detract from the taste, this wasn't something that I could down very quickly. Maybe I'm not up to snuff on my appreciation of this style but after seeing how low this was rated on here, I'm thinking that this beer is about a big a letdown as they get.

10-12-2011 20:28:55 | More by JerzDevl2000
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

500 ml bottle from LCBO.

Pours a crystal clear light amber, fizzy white head forms and quickly disappears down to almost nothing, no lace on the glass, looks a little light in colour for a marzen.

Smell is very light, kind of fruity, a bit of skunk, honey, almost no malt presence, light bit of grassy and floral hops but almost no aroma going on.

Taste is slightly better but still not very good, some sweet malts, caramel and honey, a bit of biscuit, some floral and grass, lightly skunky, has a funny metallic finish to it, hard to describe but this isn't very good either.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, slightly syrupy feeling, medium carbonation. Flavour is a little better but still not a very good marzen. 0 for 2 tonight it looks like.

10-21-2009 01:24:00 | More by Viggo
bierenutz

2.42/5  rDev -28.6%

A-Pours a clear golden with less than a finger width of head and nice lacing on the glass.
S-A little funky, a little skunky and strangely a little hefe like (or I should say light).
T-Liquified cut grass is about as close as I can get with a sweet malty finish and woody oakey afternotes.
M-Medium bodied and moderately carbontated.
D-Maybe it's me, maybe I'm not a fan of Oktoberfest beers, maybe this is just not a good example of this beer. I was just not all that impressed with this brew.

09-18-2010 02:04:35 | More by bierenutz
amphion1065

2.42/5  rDev -28.6%

Draft pour into a Hofbrau branded mug - this one was definitely over the 0.5 liter line. God I love Magoun's. Reviewed from notes.

Looks quite different from any oktoberfest I've ever seen; as the bartender was pouring my mug, I had to check twice to make sure she'd selected the correct tap. Pours a pale yellow that's quite clear, almost like an adjunct lager. A frothy, one-finger white head tops it off.

From smell alone this is quite reminiscent of a pilsner, though I would if that perception is just psychomatic. There is a very clear grassy, earthy hop aroma alongside what seems to be pilsner malt. A touch of pepper and spice reminds me of what style of beer I'm drinking.

The taste is surpsingly sweetness, almost to the point of being cloying and overpowering. There's a very clean bready, biscuit character to the malt bill that's actually quite refrshing, but that saccharine sweetness obscures it almost entirely. The hop profile from the aroma seems almost entirely absent in the taste.

Mouthfeel is a little dead, and more carbonation might help this. In any event, I couldn't imagine being able to drink too much of this.

Quite a departure from the style, and an unsuccessful departure at that. The mug, however, is awesome.

09-29-2011 20:41:30 | More by amphion1065
charliedango

2.45/5  rDev -27.7%

I don't know how this beer maintains a B+ average. This isn't a Märzen, it's just a lager. I guess this is the kind of Oktoberfest beer a Heineken drinker would consider a seasonal brew, but for the avid drinker this isn't the type of Märzen one expects. I don't recommend this beer for Oktoberfest, but it's not a bad beer by any means.

09-16-2009 00:42:04 | More by charliedango
Rennpferd

Wisconsin

2.45/5  rDev -27.7%

It poured nearly crystal clear with a slightly yellow tinge. It had a nice level of activity and a frothy three finger head that receded and left a nice lacing on the stein.

It smelled slightly malty and slightly hoppy. There was an undertone of a lesser ingrediant that was used to brew the beer, perhaps corn or rice.

It had a well balanced but lite taste of malt and hops. It really had no body and was a bit watery. For a moment I thought I was drinking an American Macro Lager.

I could drink this all night. No body, no flavor, to texture. Carbinated water mixed with alcohol. However I do not believe this to be a good representation of this style.

09-08-2008 02:46:25 | More by Rennpferd
justintcoons

look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

On tap poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance
Golden with a tiny white head. Excellent clarity and moderate carbonation.

Nose
Not much here at all. Faint whiffs of bread and cereal grains.

Taste
Hints of bread, cereal grains and Munich malts. A sprinkling of brown sugar. There is a strong off-flavor of green apple or something.

Mouthfeel
Light-medium bodied, crisp, clean and well carbonated.

Overall
Weak.

02-04-2013 15:06:24 | More by justintcoons
stephens101

Oklahoma

2.5/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours golden into a pint glass with the head disappearing so quickly that I didn't have a chance to notice it's qualities. Smells a bit of skunk at first then some grains. Taste redeems the beer somewhat after the lackluster effort in the looks and smell department. You get some grains, bolder than expected malts and some yeast with a little honey sweetness as it goes down. Not your typical Oktoberfest, but might make for a good summer session beer to replace a less tasty lager that you've become bored with. Then again, it might not.

12-24-2007 22:15:26 | More by stephens101