Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier - Hofbräuhaus München

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

Ratings: 1,160 | Reviews: 515
3.83/5  rDev +11.3%

This poured a nice clear bubbly yellow, with a good two fingers of not quite creamy foam. The aroma seems rather mild, mostly floral hops. The taste is weighted towards the hoppy end of the scale, but with a bit more than the minimum needed to balance the hops. The decent carbonation and hops combine to give a pleasing mouthfeel, very crisp. Aside from the slightly elevated alcohol, this is what US megalagers should aspire to, even though the thought seems like a bit of an abomination. But at $23 a case at Costco, the price isn't that far off.

3.88/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured into a glass. Beer is light and golden color, not what i expected for an octoberfest. The smell is lightly hoppy and grainy. The taste is quite refreshing, hops, yeast, some maltyness. The mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing. This is not what i expected from an octoberfest beer but i was still quite satisfied.

2.17/5  rDev -36.9%

Green bottle...can't wait. Hoping it wasn't sunked, but alas no such luck. Moderate amount of skunkiness in the aroma with some malt background. The skunkiness came over in the flavor too. Would like to try this from the tap in Germany as I think it would be a really great beer if it was packaged better.

3.86/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours a straw to golden yellow with a creamy white head that laced all the way down the glass.

Smells of fresh hops, citrus and just a touch of malt, a little bit of everything, not much of anything particular.

Taste, see smell, knocks out all the major checkpoints, malty, slightly bitter, just a touch of citrus.

I liked the balance of this beer very much and it makes for an easy one to drink all day.

3.37/5  rDev -2%

12 oz green bottle poured into a hefewiezen glass.

A - Pours a clear straw color, 1 finger fizzy head from a vigorous pour. Small amount of lacing and a collar of retention. Constant stream of carbonation bubbles.

S - Hints of light caramel, sweet spice, malted barley. Rounded out with some floral hops, very faint. About half way through the glass, a few swirls brought out some fruit esters.

T - Dominant flavor is soft caramel with some sweet honey. A little on the sweeter side of this style. Not too much else here besides some malted barley which tastes a little out of place and light floral hops.

M - Quite thin even for the style but the carbonation is spot on. Creamy up front and slightly biting at the end. Caramel lingers on the palate.

D - Nothing mind blowing here but pleasant throughout. Slightly exceeded my expectations then again I half assumed it would be skunked because of the green bottle.

2.03/5  rDev -41%

After enjoying Sam Adams's Oktoberfest this year, I had a craving for an old friend... Spaten Oktoberfest... but I live in Columbus, OH and it is not easy to find a good selection of imports. Anderson's had Hofbrau Oktoberfestbier so I decided to give it a try... especially since my wife and I have had a few at the actual Hofbrauhaus.

As soon as I poured the beer I knew that I was in trouble. The beer is a medium straw color with a fluffy white head.

The Oktoberfestbier smells like a pilsner. There is nothing toasted at all in there, and I should be smelling some caramel notes at this point, but I've got nothing except a slight citris smell.

The initial taste has a slightly toasted taste to it, but otherwise it is very light and pilsneresque.

The middle is slghtly heavier and not as dry as a pilsner, but there is nothing to the body that makes this beer stand out as an Oktoberfest.

The end of the beer is where I would really hope for a hevier feel and some nice caramel notes. They just aren't there. This beer starts and finishes as your standard Pilsner would.

What a shame. This beer is from the home of Oktoberfest, but it just isn't as good as the Sam Adams I had earlier in the month... and I am still craving my Spaten. I would not reccomend this beer.

3.72/5  rDev +8.1%

Had this beer yesterday in a tasting session. A fresh bottle that poured a filtered blond beer with a malty flavour. A little fruityness in it to.

The taste was a little warming and started with sweet malt followed by a hoppy dry bitterness. A beer that is made for drinking in half liters, it becomes well.

3.38/5  rDev -1.7%

S- Served from a chilled 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- A nice lighter golden orange color oktoberfest with a little over a fingers worth of white head with nice retention and a little bit of lacing.

S- Smells of fall spices and aromas. A very traditional style Oktoberfest.

T- Taste of malted fall spices and pumpkin. German style Oktoberfest.

M- Light carbonation and a crisp after taste.

D- Not too difficult to drink, not hard to knock back a few of these guys and still feel good.

3.31/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Hobrauhaus Munchen Oktoberfest poured a brilliantly clear golden hue with a sustained thick white head. Very active carbonation throughout the pint. The aroma consists mostly of grainy notes, a slight hint of hops and a bit of skunkiness as well.

Lots of pale malt in the taste with a bit of alcohol and fruitiness. Hop bitterness present in a faintly dry finish. A pleasant taste the defied my expectations after noting the appearance and smell.

Medium-bodied with ample carbonaton. A good, crisp and clean beer. A drinkable beer and much better than I expected after the pour.

3.63/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours pale, mild cloudiness. Grassy flavor. Weak lacing. Slightly bitter aftertaste - but not overwhelming.

Hard to believe this is an official octoberfest beer. Its decent, but would not think is it of that caliber.

Has a nice smooth mouthfeel, almost creamy. Taste grows on you with each sip.

Very confusing beer. First taste is somewhat disappointing - then it gets better as you drink.

Bottom line: Not in my top 10 German beers; but would not turn down. Taste an appearance gives me the impression that this is the "Coors" of German beers (light years ahead of the American BMCs)...hmmmm.

2.45/5  rDev -28.8%

I don't know how this beer maintains a B+ average. This isn't a Märzen, it's just a lager. I guess this is the kind of Oktoberfest beer a Heineken drinker would consider a seasonal brew, but for the avid drinker this isn't the type of Märzen one expects. I don't recommend this beer for Oktoberfest, but it's not a bad beer by any means.

2.89/5  rDev -16%

A: Finger and half of clean white head that slowly dissipates. Brilliant yellow in color, completely clear.

S: Smells like sweet biscuits, with a touch of banana. A little bit of spice detected.

T: Sweet, biscuity shines through. Tastes a little skunky, probably due to the green bottles. Pretty crisp finish.

M: Pretty thin feeling, plenty of carbonation. Crisp, clean finish.

O: Would probably like this beer more if it wasn’t a green bottle as you can taste the skunk. Overall, not too bad and pretty easy to drink. I wish it was served with the blond on the 6-pack.

3.75/5  rDev +9%

Poured a very pale gold color, not quite what I was expecting, but still looked good. Head disappeared very quickly.

Aroma is sweet malt, maybe slightly bready.

Flavor is not quite what I was expecting, either. Some sweet malt is there, but its got a quite bitter finish. Unexpected, but in a good way.

Overall, I'd say this is a pretty good beer, and one that I'm sure I'll have several of.

Pale yellow color and good foaming. Slight skunk/sweet smell. Taste hops on the backend. Hardly any carbonation, almost flat. Not bad, but is outshined by many other Octoberfest type brews.

Poured perfectly clear and golden. Aroma was malty and earthy. The body was a bit lighter than the typical American renditions but the beer was perfectly balanced and the familiar with the malty sweetness and noble hops coming through nicely.

2.86/5  rDev -16.9%

Hofbräu - Oktoberfest

Brewed and bottled in Munich, Germany. This is another one I've dranken by the barrel over the years. But unlike the Weihenstephaner, I'm dissapointed in this one - at least the first 6-pack I picked up this year. I'm still trying to figure out if it's intentional, or if my beer went skunk - either way, it was suprisingly bitter. It had the very hoppy bitterness that I always dislike in an IPA. My Dad was over last weekend and he commented that this one had the "typical Hofbräu Hause bitter hops taste too. Maybe it's more of an aquired taste? I've been to the actual Hofbräu Hause in Munich probably a dozen times and I've always loved the beer, so I'm not sure what's up here. I will say that poping a few more later in the evening seemed to get much better. Maybe I was letting them breathe more, or maybe the 6.3% ABV was starting to kick in. Maybe it's intentionally bitter to hide the high ABV and I just never noticed before?

This was another crystal clear, blondish-yellow beer. I'm going to try to have to dig up some more of my old pics from Germany, because I remember these being much darker in color too. There are some numbers stamped on the label, but nothing I can discern as a date. In any case I think I'll be passing on this one until I can find my way back to Germany again.

3.97/5  rDev +15.4%

This beer has a lighter appearance than I would have expected. Nice aroma, pleasant, but by no means overwhelming. The taste is a bit milder that other Oktoberfest beers I've experienced. This did not knock my socks off, but it was pretty decent for the year's first cool day.

3.53/5  rDev +2.6%

This is probably one of the lightest colored oktoberfests i've seen. It pours bright golden, almost strawlike with minimal lacing. The little bit of head it does have disappears rather quickly. It has a sweet smelling munich malt aroma at first, but the noble hops start to become more apparent after a while. The hops give it a nice bite once it hits your mouth, but it ends with that malty sweetness. Not very fully bodied, but this makes it very quaffable. As a beer, it's amazing for session drinking. I could see this being my go-to drink for say, several games of beer pong, for example. However I'm disappointed inasmuch as this is considered a Marzen (allow me to be a slave to the style for a moment). I was really hoping for that dark, heavy roast and malt flavor for the season. Overall, a decent beer, but I've had better Oktoberfests.

3.66/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I just had this beer over at Shaefer's Bar and grill over in Staten Island New York. They had an advertisement for the beer on the table, so I decided to give it a shot.

Appearance: The beer had a very attractive golden color. Very inviting. Small head on top.

Smell: I'm not an expert, but the beer smelled fresh.

Taste: Not too strong, not too light. Just right.

Mouthfeel: Good, crisp.

Drinkability: Very good drinkability. I had a few.

2.22/5  rDev -35.5%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours single finger head that dissipates quickly, leaving little foam on top. A golden honey color.

S: Very grainy, almost sour even.

T: Sour and leafy tasting. Almost makes your chin pucker half way through if you drink it too fast.

M: Lightly carbonated, extremely smooth, goes down effortlessly. Clean and dry finish.

O: My first Marzen, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. However, not really what I was expecting from an Okotoberfest beer (weak in my mind). One plus I will give it is that it wouldn't be bad for a long, all-day drinking session, as it wouldn't be hard to put many of these away.

3.03/5  rDev -11.9%

Served on Tap into a pint glass.

Appearance - was a nice clear and golden brew with a moderately thick white head. Minimal lacing noted.

Smell - Very puristic. Mild hoppiness with a slight alcohol scent.

Taste - very faint taste of malt and hops. A lingering bitterness that mellows with a semi-sweet presence.

Mouthfeel - relatively thin in comparison to other Marzen's I have had in the past. Large amount of carbonation with a watery-feel.

Drikability - A realtively smooth, drinkable brew, however, the taste and smell are lacking. I would be willing to give it another try.

4.13/5  rDev +20.1%

I actually had a mass of this at the Chinese Tower beer garden in Munchen just before Oktoberfest began. It was a fantastic beer to go along with the experience of riding a bike around the English Garden.

The bottle: Pours with a quickly fading fluffy white head. Smells of Munich malt and Haller hops with an almost skunk but not quite. The Malt really comes through in the flavor, and the hops take the back seat. Overall a great session beer.

2.79/5  rDev -18.9%

Was surprised to see this beer pour a bright golden color out of the green (sigh) 330 mL bottle. Closer examination of the label reveals this to be an ale, rather than the amber Oktoberfest/Maerzen lager that one would expect from a beer by this name. Overall, it is a drinkable light-colored ale sharing some characteristics with a Koelsch, but with a noticeably higher ABV, greater mouthfeel and somewhat subdued carbonation.

3.48/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a green glass into my SA Perfect Pint glass with a finger and a half head and a clear very light golden color. Much lighter than expected from an Oktoberfest/Marzen to be sure.

A strong lemony/grassy hop aroma pervades the nose reminding me more of a pilsner beer than an Oktoberfest. Am I going to be extremely disappointed here?

Strangely enough the first taste is very familiar; malty sweetness and biscuit flavors I've come to expect in an Oktoberfest but definitely getting a strong Euro Lager feel from it too with the lemony hops. The body is medium to slightly thin with slight carbonation.

Totally not what I'm used to in an Oktoberfest lager but pleasant nonetheless.

3.74/5  rDev +8.7%

Nice crisp taste, goes down smooth

Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier from Hofbräuhaus München