Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier - Hofbräuhaus München

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

Reviews: 520 | Hads: 1,179
3.13/5  rDev -6.3%

Very light golden color with a large, foamy white head. Big portions of lace left behind on the glass.

Has a strong bitter hop smell, with the usual marzen malts in as well. Not floral at all. crisp, tight nose.

Nice munich malts backed by an averqage bitterness. Not bitter enough however. It really doesnt taste much like a marzen. Fresh and crisp, I would drink this on a hot day, but it misses the mark for the style.

MJust a tad overcarbonated. Light body.

Quite drinkable. But nothing really to get excited about. (527 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -3.3%

Part of Liquor Barns Ultimate Brew Crew Sept '06-Oktoberfest

A: Very pale yellow color, not the burnt orange of other Oktoberfest beers. A small head receeded quikly leaving little foam.

S: Less malt aroma than expected...actually it's a very plain smell. Nothing stands out.

T: Flavor is dominated by hop bitterness. This beer seems more like a Pilsner than an Oktoberfest. I also tast a hint of plain alcohol flavors.

M: Good balance of body for the hop level.

D: Not bad, but not at all what I was expecting from the style. (541 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -44.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: A very light golden, surprisingly light. Lots and lots of streamers feeding a thin, white, foamy head. Some lacing, despite the thin head.

S: Ugh. BMC scents--corn, wheat, unsourced bitter smells. No center, no fullness. Smells bad, really bad--not skunked, just bad. Freshness code is L152F 0939, so if this sucker is really old, please disregard. I haven't seen any issues of "held" O-fests around here, though, so I doubt it's a freshness issue.

T: This tastes like Miller High Life. Bland, over-carbonated, corn-flavored water. There's little to no complexity in the malt character at all, no disparate flavors, no hop quality at all. A thin abomination. Really just awful. I would have actually preferred High Life.

M: Light, unnoticeable, watery and weak. I'm so disappointed.

D: Rare drain pour. Could have finished it--it was merely insipid rather than offensive--but I'd much rather spend my time on something else. (989 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -10.5%

A- Cloudy yellow with no head

S- Grains,and grass with a hint of mustiness.

T-Struggling with this one ,, I love almost all Hofbrau varieties but I dont know what I'm tasing here. A bitter pilsner that is too thick and slick to the tongue if that makes sense.
Since this isnt a pilsner I'm lost.

M- Slick and heavy

O- Sorry Hofbrau this one didnt do it for me. The dunkels and helles kick ass but this one is odd for sure. (427 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +11.7%

Hofbrau Munchen Oktoberfest!

I have been looking for this style of beer as of late and stumbled across this recognizing the HB from the fest pics on the net.

Serving this from two 12 oz bottles into my 240z mug. it pours clear and golden as your first morning pee after a night of drinking! A nice white whispy ehad which leaves very little lace down the sides of the mug. Smells of Malt Hay and german hops! Reinheitsgebot it states on the bottle following the tradition from 1516. Taste is sweet malt hay hitting you with on style (lets be honest this beer is the style) Hops and a tiny bit of bitterness at the end that mellows into a sticky mouth feel!

Great beer wish I was in Germany But alas I have to settle for my imagination! (740 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +34.7%

Drank from the bottle...

A: Has a nice golden haze to it, appears much like other german oktoberfests from the region..

S: A sulfery nose of light hops and pilsner...crisp and refreshing

T: Exceptional...this is where this beer really shines....starts with a light hop bite and german pilsner flavor, and finishes with an unexpected sweet malt flavor, maybe the best oktoberfest I've had!

M: Standard body

D: I rate the drinkability very high on this beer because of all the great flavor, and the average alcohol content. Score yourself a case before I buy all of them up! (577 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +7.2%

Appearance: wheat colored with mixes of gold and yellow while looking very carbonated. White foamy head at a decent size and little to no lacing.

Smell: Not going to lie, it reminded me of cheap beers that have a distinctive smell to them. But that was only upfront and then when you smell it more its sweet and hoppy.

Taste: Surprising. Much more hoppy then I expected it to be and more flavorful then a traditional oktoberfest. Good body to it and just a nice refreshing beer.

Mouthfeel: Decent amount of carbonation and very light feel to it.

Drinkability: A very drinkable beer and considering its meant to be had in quality it fits the role. Decent beer overall. (671 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +14.7%

This poured a nice clear bubbly yellow, with a good two fingers of not quite creamy foam. The aroma seems rather mild, mostly floral hops. The taste is weighted towards the hoppy end of the scale, but with a bit more than the minimum needed to balance the hops. The decent carbonation and hops combine to give a pleasing mouthfeel, very crisp. Aside from the slightly elevated alcohol, this is what US megalagers should aspire to, even though the thought seems like a bit of an abomination. But at $23 a case at Costco, the price isn't that far off. (549 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured into a glass. Beer is light and golden color, not what i expected for an octoberfest. The smell is lightly hoppy and grainy. The taste is quite refreshing, hops, yeast, some maltyness. The mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing. This is not what i expected from an octoberfest beer but i was still quite satisfied. (316 characters)

2.17/5  rDev -35%

Green bottle...can't wait. Hoping it wasn't sunked, but alas no such luck. Moderate amount of skunkiness in the aroma with some malt background. The skunkiness came over in the flavor too. Would like to try this from the tap in Germany as I think it would be a really great beer if it was packaged better. (305 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -39.2%

After enjoying Sam Adams's Oktoberfest this year, I had a craving for an old friend... Spaten Oktoberfest... but I live in Columbus, OH and it is not easy to find a good selection of imports. Anderson's had Hofbrau Oktoberfestbier so I decided to give it a try... especially since my wife and I have had a few at the actual Hofbrauhaus.

As soon as I poured the beer I knew that I was in trouble. The beer is a medium straw color with a fluffy white head.

The Oktoberfestbier smells like a pilsner. There is nothing toasted at all in there, and I should be smelling some caramel notes at this point, but I've got nothing except a slight citris smell.

The initial taste has a slightly toasted taste to it, but otherwise it is very light and pilsneresque.

The middle is slghtly heavier and not as dry as a pilsner, but there is nothing to the body that makes this beer stand out as an Oktoberfest.

The end of the beer is where I would really hope for a hevier feel and some nice caramel notes. They just aren't there. This beer starts and finishes as your standard Pilsner would.

What a shame. This beer is from the home of Oktoberfest, but it just isn't as good as the Sam Adams I had earlier in the month... and I am still craving my Spaten. I would not reccomend this beer. (1,279 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours a straw to golden yellow with a creamy white head that laced all the way down the glass.

Smells of fresh hops, citrus and just a touch of malt, a little bit of everything, not much of anything particular.

Taste, see smell, knocks out all the major checkpoints, malty, slightly bitter, just a touch of citrus.

I liked the balance of this beer very much and it makes for an easy one to drink all day. (408 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +0.9%

12 oz green bottle poured into a hefewiezen glass.

A - Pours a clear straw color, 1 finger fizzy head from a vigorous pour. Small amount of lacing and a collar of retention. Constant stream of carbonation bubbles.

S - Hints of light caramel, sweet spice, malted barley. Rounded out with some floral hops, very faint. About half way through the glass, a few swirls brought out some fruit esters.

T - Dominant flavor is soft caramel with some sweet honey. A little on the sweeter side of this style. Not too much else here besides some malted barley which tastes a little out of place and light floral hops.

M - Quite thin even for the style but the carbonation is spot on. Creamy up front and slightly biting at the end. Caramel lingers on the palate.

D - Nothing mind blowing here but pleasant throughout. Slightly exceeded my expectations then again I half assumed it would be skunked because of the green bottle. (921 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +11.4%

Had this beer yesterday in a tasting session. A fresh bottle that poured a filtered blond beer with a malty flavour. A little fruityness in it to.

The taste was a little warming and started with sweet malt followed by a hoppy dry bitterness. A beer that is made for drinking in half liters, it becomes well. (308 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +1.2%

S- Served from a chilled 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- A nice lighter golden orange color oktoberfest with a little over a fingers worth of white head with nice retention and a little bit of lacing.

S- Smells of fall spices and aromas. A very traditional style Oktoberfest.

T- Taste of malted fall spices and pumpkin. German style Oktoberfest.

M- Light carbonation and a crisp after taste.

D- Not too difficult to drink, not hard to knock back a few of these guys and still feel good. (494 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Hobrauhaus Munchen Oktoberfest poured a brilliantly clear golden hue with a sustained thick white head. Very active carbonation throughout the pint. The aroma consists mostly of grainy notes, a slight hint of hops and a bit of skunkiness as well.

Lots of pale malt in the taste with a bit of alcohol and fruitiness. Hop bitterness present in a faintly dry finish. A pleasant taste the defied my expectations after noting the appearance and smell.

Medium-bodied with ample carbonaton. A good, crisp and clean beer. A drinkable beer and much better than I expected after the pour. (580 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours pale, mild cloudiness. Grassy flavor. Weak lacing. Slightly bitter aftertaste - but not overwhelming.

Hard to believe this is an official octoberfest beer. Its decent, but would not think is it of that caliber.

Has a nice smooth mouthfeel, almost creamy. Taste grows on you with each sip.

Very confusing beer. First taste is somewhat disappointing - then it gets better as you drink.

Bottom line: Not in my top 10 German beers; but would not turn down. Taste an appearance gives me the impression that this is the "Coors" of German beers (light years ahead of the American BMCs)...hmmmm. (600 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -26.6%

I don't know how this beer maintains a B+ average. This isn't a Märzen, it's just a lager. I guess this is the kind of Oktoberfest beer a Heineken drinker would consider a seasonal brew, but for the avid drinker this isn't the type of Märzen one expects. I don't recommend this beer for Oktoberfest, but it's not a bad beer by any means. (339 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -13.5%

A: Finger and half of clean white head that slowly dissipates. Brilliant yellow in color, completely clear.

S: Smells like sweet biscuits, with a touch of banana. A little bit of spice detected.

T: Sweet, biscuity shines through. Tastes a little skunky, probably due to the green bottles. Pretty crisp finish.

M: Pretty thin feeling, plenty of carbonation. Crisp, clean finish.

O: Would probably like this beer more if it wasn’t a green bottle as you can taste the skunk. Overall, not too bad and pretty easy to drink. I wish it was served with the blond on the 6-pack. (576 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured a very pale gold color, not quite what I was expecting, but still looked good. Head disappeared very quickly.

Aroma is sweet malt, maybe slightly bready.

Flavor is not quite what I was expecting, either. Some sweet malt is there, but its got a quite bitter finish. Unexpected, but in a good way.

Overall, I'd say this is a pretty good beer, and one that I'm sure I'll have several of. (403 characters)

Pale yellow color and good foaming. Slight skunk/sweet smell. Taste hops on the backend. Hardly any carbonation, almost flat. Not bad, but is outshined by many other Octoberfest type brews. (192 characters)

Poured perfectly clear and golden. Aroma was malty and earthy. The body was a bit lighter than the typical American renditions but the beer was perfectly balanced and the familiar with the malty sweetness and noble hops coming through nicely. (242 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -14.4%

Hofbräu - Oktoberfest

Brewed and bottled in Munich, Germany. This is another one I've dranken by the barrel over the years. But unlike the Weihenstephaner, I'm dissapointed in this one - at least the first 6-pack I picked up this year. I'm still trying to figure out if it's intentional, or if my beer went skunk - either way, it was suprisingly bitter. It had the very hoppy bitterness that I always dislike in an IPA. My Dad was over last weekend and he commented that this one had the "typical Hofbräu Hause bitter hops taste too. Maybe it's more of an aquired taste? I've been to the actual Hofbräu Hause in Munich probably a dozen times and I've always loved the beer, so I'm not sure what's up here. I will say that poping a few more later in the evening seemed to get much better. Maybe I was letting them breathe more, or maybe the 6.3% ABV was starting to kick in. Maybe it's intentionally bitter to hide the high ABV and I just never noticed before?

This was another crystal clear, blondish-yellow beer. I'm going to try to have to dig up some more of my old pics from Germany, because I remember these being much darker in color too. There are some numbers stamped on the label, but nothing I can discern as a date. In any case I think I'll be passing on this one until I can find my way back to Germany again. (1,328 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +18.9%

This beer has a lighter appearance than I would have expected. Nice aroma, pleasant, but by no means overwhelming. The taste is a bit milder that other Oktoberfest beers I've experienced. This did not knock my socks off, but it was pretty decent for the year's first cool day. (276 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +5.7%

This is probably one of the lightest colored oktoberfests i've seen. It pours bright golden, almost strawlike with minimal lacing. The little bit of head it does have disappears rather quickly. It has a sweet smelling munich malt aroma at first, but the noble hops start to become more apparent after a while. The hops give it a nice bite once it hits your mouth, but it ends with that malty sweetness. Not very fully bodied, but this makes it very quaffable. As a beer, it's amazing for session drinking. I could see this being my go-to drink for say, several games of beer pong, for example. However I'm disappointed inasmuch as this is considered a Marzen (allow me to be a slave to the style for a moment). I was really hoping for that dark, heavy roast and malt flavor for the season. Overall, a decent beer, but I've had better Oktoberfests. (847 characters)

Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier from Hofbräuhaus München