Hofbräu Original - Hofbräuhaus München

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-19-2002

Reviews: 448 | Hads: 1,326
Reviews by TargaFlorio:

4.81/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

This beer is a nectar of the Gods, crafted by Jesus himself in a laboratory fueled by the happiness and laughter of children, pieced together like a fine tapestry or a mosaic. Van Goh gave Jesus a high five for this wonderful creation of reinheitsgebot deliciousness. If you don't like this beer I'm willing to bet you like boys. And you have an outie instead of an innie. (372 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -11.5%

i first had this brew about a year ago on my birthday. i instantly found a favorite. it has to be my favorite german imported lager.

the beer pours very nicely. a two finger head that stays around longer than i thought it would. gives way to minimal to no lacing. the appearance is not quite straw yellow but not quite gold either.

it smells like a fresh beautiful spring day. crisp, clear and refreshing. a little hint of skunk was found but most german lagers are a little skunky. maybe the green bottles?

it tastes great. at first a crisp grassy taste followed by a hoppy taste with a touch of honey. the after taste is hoppy with a touch of skunk. pardon my language but even the burps taste good. very crisp, very clean and nicely carbonated

mouthfeel is a little watery but at 5.1 abv its not an IPA. so i did not expect a thick feel. however this brew is all about the taste.

at $8.99 a six pack 11.2 oz bottles. there are craft beers at this price point with higher abv. but like i said this is about having an authentic munich specialty lager. worth every penny, if you ask me. (1,094 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I went to the store with one mission: to try such a variety of different beers in order to become well rounded in the world of beers. I am, after all, the hop head so I made sure to toss some Hofbrau into my cart. It boasts a mild 5.1% ABV and German Purity Laws since 1589 which definitely gives the beer a major historical element that elevates it to an experience instead of just a beer.

Look-It pours a startlingly crystal clear and light colored liquid. The carbonation trails are medium and the head is thin and readily dissipates allowing one to see clear down to the bottom of one’s glass. The color is light golden yellow and monotonic.

Smell-I smell German yeast and buttery bread.

Taste-The flavor is nice, but a bit one-sided for my taste. It is pleasant with flavors of malts, yeast, and spices with a crisp finish. There is no problem here with dry mouth as this leaves an oily coating and is pleasant.
Mouthfeel-The mouthfeel is oily and smooth, crisp and refreshing.

Overall-Overall I’d say that I’m glad that I added this one to my repertoire, but it is not as dynamic as the powerful Double and Imperial IPAs that I am used to. It’s all about variety and experience so I am glad to have a good old sixer of these historical German brews that come in a nice green bottle to preserve freshness. (1,325 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured delicately into a pilsner glass. Temperature is about 35-37 degrees.

Appearance - Beautiful light golden color; one of the most handsome beers I've seen. Has a good one finger head, excellent lacing on the glass. Appears highly carbonated.

Smell - Skunky...

Taste - Crisp taste, bready, slightest of hops. Tastes even better with food.

Mouth feel - Plenty of carbonation, great texture, not too watery and not too thick. Just right.

Overall - This is a good beer, as it should be for the price. This beer has been around since the 1500's; WOW I'm impressed! I am a bit disappointed that the beer was slightly skunky, considering that this is one of the most famous beers in the entire world. I can't imagine what this beer would taste like on tap, but is still good from the bottle. My only advice to the Hofbrauhaus is to import your beer in dark bottles - you should know better. Otherwise, I'm glad I tried it and I would drink it everyday if I didn't have to pay over $11 for an 11.2 ounce six pack. (1,020 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Carmel undertones really shine through in this great German lager. Carbonation quite high and creamy finish with earthy and a little citrus at the end. At first, smell does not make it stand out, as it smells just like a lager typically would. However, the finish is quite smooth and is extremely drinkable. Had this one at the Hofbräuhaus in Chicago. Would have ordered more if I didn't want to have the Hefe Weizen as well. Overall, this is a solid German lager and I was extremely impressed. Extremely fun to drink in that type of environment as well. (555 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had this out in a bier garten yesterday and it just seemed to hit the spot best out of all the brews I had.Poured a nice golden color with medium head that left some lacing,smell was slightly malty and very juicy fruity,very appetizing.Taste was a little fruity and grainy,very quaffable warm weather beer great for sitting outsied under the beer tent. (352 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

Appearance – The body of this beer is absolutely brilliant. It is crystal clear and yellow in color with a tinge of orange and sports a nice white head.

Smell – The grain here is strong and heavily lagered. I can pick up a bit of sugary sweetness but mostly this is a grain bouquet.

Taste – The grain here is unabashed. It is just huge. There’s a lingering malty sweet finish, as there should be.

Mouthfeel – It’s not quite medium-bodied, but it’s big and extremely smooth.

Drinkability – This is why I wish I lived in Germany. (547 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +2.9%

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

3.55/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.94/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured into a mason jar. Clear light gold with a snow white head. Just the sight makes me want a big soft pretzel.

Pretty standard pilsnerish aroma. Almost a little sourdough.

Much fuller flavor than I expected. I guess I've been conditioned by american beers of the same appearance being so watery. Bready malt, lightly backed with some german hop bitterness.

Medium bodied, light oily mouthcoating and lingering bitter hop aftertaste.

Overall, not my favorite style by any means, but I can enjoy a few of these. I've never been to Oktoberfest or the Munich Hofbrauhaus, but I've had a few layovers in German airports and some mugs of this with some soft pretzels are always a bright spot on miserable travel days. (720 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

4.48/5  rDev +17.6%

Presentation: It was poured from a green 11.2oz bottle into a Pilsener glass. The bottle has no freshness date or any info other than the style.

Appearance: It has a bright yellow body with very good clarity and some visible carbonation. The head is tall and full of soft white bubbles. Its retention is good as it slowly fades to a thin covering, that with a little swirl of the glass, lasts all the way to the last sip. On the glass it leaves behind some nice spotty lacing.

Smell: There are note of light pale malt notes with a solid floral/spicy/grassy hop presence.

Taste/Palate: Its flavor has a delicate sweet bready or sugar cookie like maltiness up front with a lemon meringue pie like undertone. Nice spicy/floral hop notes soon move in and add their bitterness and character. The hop character is in my opinion is in perfect balance to the malt. The finish has a good snappy, crisp and dry character that makes it extremely drinkable.

Notes: Again to sum up this beer it is well balanced, tasty and easy to drink. It makes for a good summer drinking beer and works well with a light snack of soft sour dough pretzels. (1,136 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +5.5%

Decent Munich Helles lager. One of those beers that taste much better on draft if able. (88 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Presentation: 12 oz green bottle with a no freshness date.

Appearance: Bright and sparkling pale golden colour, the big frothy white head does wins my eyes over.

Smell: Clean and fresh grassy aroma of “just milled” malt and slightly flowery hop oil.

Taste: The crispness is spot on and raises the refreshing level of this beer, a big mouthful of grain hits the palate with fresh cut hay and bitter noble hop flavours. Biscuity and slightly doughy flavours hit middle to end showing the freshness of the brew.

Notes: This lager has grown on me over the summer and has won a spot in my fridge, a plate of grilled bratwurst and braised cabbage went perfect with this brew. (684 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a clear yellow color with a large white head. The aroma is grain and grassy hops. The flavor is more of the same with some light malts and some grassy and slightly earthy hops. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. (277 characters)

Hofbräu Original from Hofbräuhaus München