Hofbräu Original - Hofbräuhaus München

Hofbräu OriginalHofbräu Original

Hofbräuhaus München visit their website
Germany

Munich Helles Lager |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-19-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hofbräu Original Alström Bros

GreenMountainBoy, Feb 04, 2012

valkyre65, Dec 08, 2011

iBodhisattva, Oct 30, 2013

DUG2487, Oct 02, 2014

RepMichigan, Nov 22, 2011

Dba1125, Aug 06, 2014

FunkyMacGroovin, Aug 26, 2012

beerman123, Oct 18, 2013

Pure perfection in a bottle

JSaulWelter, Aug 27, 2014

fresham, Mar 27, 2012
4.96/5  rDev +30.5%

wilipbe, Sep 18, 2014
4.95/5  rDev +30.3%

Love this beer. I get it on tap at a really good local German restaurant, usually by the 1L. stein. When I can, I also by a couple 500ml bottles at my local major liquor store. In glass, has a great golden color and a huge head, which eventually settles down. Aroma has a nice smooth malt note. Taste is clean, while having an excellent malt and hop balance, and goes great with whatever German dish I'm having at the time (or is good just on it's own). I can't comment on the 12 oz. green glass bottles (the 500 mls are brown). I've read bad reviews for that serving, but can't comment on them as I just prefer having it on tap thru the restaurant. I bet this one is even better in Germany.

Prostman81, Jan 02, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +29.7%

Oh man, why don't brewers in America believe in decoction mashing? This beer is a beauty . . . light and smooth with a pleasant hop boquet. This beer makes me fall in love with beer all over again. Honestly, I ask you, what more could you want in a beer? Simply wonderful.

shbobdb, Jan 24, 2006
4.88/5  rDev +28.4%

Okay, I nearly topped out on this one, but having sampled it so fresh at Uberstein in Chicago, I was thrilled -- as fresh as when I enjoyed the HB beers in Munich.

A -- Clear, golden in color with a resilient white head -- settled quickly to a thin cap.

S -- DMS with bready, yeasty, malt melanoidin character prominent and spicy hops in the finish. Only complaint is that it was probably too thin on aroma.

T -- Sweet and bready, malt melanoidin finishing dry with mild spicy noble hops. Not cloying in any way.

M -- Medium-light body with a very soft mouth-feel.

D -- Top of the charts. I wanted to stay all night drinking nothing but this. Well, maybe a Dunkel too!

This is classic Munich Helles for anyone wondering what the style really ought to taste like!

steveh, Aug 22, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +27.6%

pours a very pale straw yellow with a nice white foamy head and a small amount of light lace. love the smell, fresh cut grass/hay smells of farm country and herbal notes also. fresh clean malt with a nice hop bitter taste smooth light crisp carbonation adds to the great taste. drinkability anytime all the time. if you like the style you like this beer.

billybob, Jun 01, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +27.6%

This is a wonderful, tasty, full-bodied lager.

A wonderful, tasty, full-bodied lager, this is among my favourites.

It is gold - bright and a bit on the paler side, with a huge, dense, creamy white ehad that only slowly shrinks, leaving a small permanent head and beautiful even lacing in rings down the glass.

The aroma is honey, lots of grain, with hints of pine, lemon, sulphur, and toffee.

The taste is creamy malty grain, bread, lemon, pine. It's zesty, smooth, full-bodied, yet rather crisp ans very refreshing. It's on the sweeter side but with a nice light, aromatic bitterness especially in the finish. It goes incredibly well with food and is exceedingly drinkable.

Offa, Apr 21, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +27.1%

I've been a a beer lover since the age of five when my dad gave me my first sips. His staple beer was Reingold!( of all things!) I have a lot of favorites, but this is definitely way up there. It's simple and uncomplicated...to me it's delicious beer!!!!

mecanini, Apr 26, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +26.3%

I took a special trip to Milwaukee, WI to visit The Old German Beer Hall and had the privilege to first enjoy Hofbrau on tap there in a large 1 litre glass. Absolutely delicious! When I got back home to Grand Rapids, MI I had to do some searching but was able to track down some bottled Hofbrau to give it a second go around and I think I'm even more in love with it! This fine Deutsche Bier is now my favorite! Prost!

klintok21, Jul 15, 2011