Hofbräu Original - Hofbräuhaus München

Hofbräu OriginalHofbräu Original

Hofbräuhaus München visit their website
Germany

Munich Helles Lager |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-19-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hofbräu Original Alström Bros
Iztok

2.25/5  rDev -40.8%

03-02-2014 07:52:35 | More by vheissu15
chefelf

2.3/5  rDev -39.5%

After reading the rest of the reviews here I'm convinced that I must've gotten a bad bottle somehow. What I had tasted exactly like a skunky Heineken. They only flavor really was skunk flavor. Overall very displeasing.

This was directly from a case of beer which had just come in at the store so theoretically it shouldn't have been exposed to too much light and should have been relatively fresh. I look forward to hopefully getting this again in the future to review it again. I can't imagine this is the flavor that has gotten such consistent high reviews here.

09-17-2011 12:38:55 | More by chefelf
JoeAmerican77

Colorado

2.38/5  rDev -37.4%

Pours out an absolutely crystal clear gold, with one inch of white head

Smells of sweet skunk and baby grass alcohol and malts

The taste is of wet grains and really just super expected lager but less

Mouth feel is watery with a cheap carbonation like soda. I feel like this is their version of the US' fizzy yellow stuff

03-27-2011 00:58:55 | More by JoeAmerican77
andyinsdca

2.42/5  rDev -36.3%

From a bottle that had (what appears to be) a date of 0804, don't know if this is an expiration or a "born on" date.

Appearance was the same as an American light beer, weak yellow, thin head.
Smell: Vaguely beer-like. Maybe skunked?
Taste: Absolutely awful. Tasted like stale corn tortillas. No beer taste at all.

Overall: I poured this out after 2 sips. Not sure if it was expired/skunked or what. I will NOT drink this beer again.

Update, 10Nov08:
My ratings were 2/1/1/1/1 when I initially reviewed this beer. I bought some more this weekend after I saw it at Bevmo and it had a "date" of 12xx. I took the plunge and here's how the non-skunked stuff came out.
Appearance: No change; the head was a 1-finger, fizzy head that vanished quickly after being poured into a pint glass.
Smell: A little bit of malt, a little bit of flowers, a touch of corn, but nothing revolting.
Taste & Mouthfeel: Not a bad yellow-fizzy beer. Not much mouthfeel to it at all.
Drinkability and overall: It's actually an OK beer. Nothing spectacular, but very drinkable....this almost seems like damning with faint praise (cf: the current light beer ads in the US that plug drinkability), but it's not. Not very memorable.

11-10-2008 18:38:13 | More by andyinsdca
K270

2.45/5  rDev -35.5%

I poured the beer into a clear glass and it poured a light golden color. At first sniff I got a slight skunky smell. This turned me off at first. The smell kind of went away after it sat in the glass for a minute or two. But it didn't go away completely. Every time I took a sip I got a slight sniff of skunkyness. Don't get me wrong, the taste of the beer isn't to bad. I've had this beer before and don't remember it having a skunky smell. I'll try this beer again at a later date. Maybe the beer I had has been on the shelf for a while.

05-20-2008 07:07:48 | More by K270
JDV

2.48/5  rDev -34.7%

Light gold, with a yeasty lager like, and slight hop aroma. Taste is lightly yeasty, malty, with a nice noticeable hop twang to it as well. Touch of tartness to it. Crisp carbonation and decent mouthfeel. Nothing too special, but for what it is, it seems well enough made. Decent, drinkable beer.

03-15-2008 20:03:23 | More by JDV
bobhits

Kentucky

2.48/5  rDev -34.7%

Pours crystal clear into the glass, with an explosion of bubbles filling the body. This one then forms a nice white head, nothing dense or creamy, but just a tall white bit of bubbles. This doesn’t last long to leaves little lacing. Lively to start but rather simple.

A light nose gives off some spices and subtle earthy hop and malt profiles. The glass sadly still smells a bit like the same I washed it with and the nose really dies once the initial pour is over (there isn’t soap in the glass!).

Very bready or maybe more like a rice based bread flavor and texture to the malt here. A lot of flavor imparted here by the wheat. The beer takes on some light crystal malt like sweetness, but nothing really stands out.

Refreshing, light, well carbonated are all good ways to describe this one. I can see this being almost magical on a 90 degree day. It isn’t 90 today, far from it sadly.

This is an interesting lager. It packs some interesting flavor profiles while remaining very drinkable. Not a beer I see myself going back to short of going to The Hofbrau house in Northern Kentucky but I enjoyed this and it had potential to be pretty darn bland.

10-30-2011 04:00:54 | More by bobhits

complexnomenclature

02-27-2014 17:49:39 | More by complexnomenclature
IchLiebeBier

2.5/5  rDev -34.2%

Appearance: Golden, clear body; effervescent, strong head, long lasting

Aroma: grassy, hoppy, citrus notes

Taste: Tangy, a little bitter; not particularly impressive

Remarks: Not a big fan of Pale Lagers overall; this was no exception

djrn2

01-12-2012 20:11:22 | More by djrn2
Amalak

2.53/5  rDev -33.4%

App: Extremely light, with a head that dissipates quickly

Smell: No real smell. Lagerish, but nothing worth noting.

Taste: Nothing bad, but there is not so much flavor. Pretty weak.

Mouthfeel: No bad, goes down easy

Drinkability: It's light and easy to drink, but doesn't have the flavor I look for.

Low quality beer in my opinion.

09-22-2007 23:46:41 | More by Amalak
kojevergas

2.58/5  rDev -32.1%

Pint bottle into Hoegaarden pint glass in low altitude Galway, Ireland. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a three finger head of fair thickness but no cream. Average retention. Clear yellow colour.

Sm: Light tones of cream and barley. Pleasant. I'm excited to try this beer.

T: The notes from the nose but unfortunately culminating in a sort of dirty barley finish that isn't balanced against the first two acts. Moderately complex, but not quite refreshing. It's built well for the style; I believe it's a flagship of the style actually.

Mf: Too smooth. Too wet. Almost watery on the finish.

Dr: It's probably fairly priced in Germany, but it's not in Ireland. I'd have it again as a run of the mill drinking beer, but it's nothing special.

05-22-2011 21:43:21 | More by kojevergas
Minkybut

2.58/5  rDev -32.1%

I poured this beer while holding my nose into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was blond nearly and poured the best head of the night. It was big and white. However the skunk smell made me think something was going to crawl out of it. The beer had a sweet taste that was too much,tasted green. I will not buy again.

03-21-2010 23:54:09 | More by Minkybut
BierReise

2.68/5  rDev -29.5%

This is probably one of the worst examples of German beer I've had recently and the fact that it was a freebee from the store owner where I bought a case of good beers from didn't help any. It was probably old to begin with and so this may not be a fair review but then few have given it a decent rating here. Looks promising in trhe glass but the flavor is not of a good lager. Kind of flat tasting with little character. Almost reminds me of some basic American lagers in that respect. Slightly bitter and with an unpleasant aftertaste.

05-16-2003 14:37:32 | More by BierReise