Hofbräu Original - Hofbräuhaus München

Hofbräuhaus München visit their website
Germany

Munich Helles Lager |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-19-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hofbräu Original Alström Bros
3.7/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Light, clear, gold with a modest lid of fuzzy, off-white, foam

Nose is skunkyish herbal and earthy-grassy hops with a hint of lemon.

Not bad flavor lightly sweet pale malts with a drop of sweet lemon, lightly toasted with a good amount of noble earthy-grassy herbal and lightly white peppery spicy hops. Crisp clean light-medium body, smooth and lightly dry.

Not bad at all. You could do much worse.

4.85/5  rDev +28.3%

Okay, I nearly topped out on this one, but having sampled it so fresh at Uberstein in Chicago, I was thrilled -- as fresh as when I enjoyed the HB beers in Munich.

A -- Clear, golden in color with a resilient white head -- settled quickly to a thin cap.

S -- DMS with bready, yeasty, malt melanoidin character prominent and spicy hops in the finish. Only complaint is that it was probably too thin on aroma.

T -- Sweet and bready, malt melanoidin finishing dry with mild spicy noble hops. Not cloying in any way.

M -- Medium-light body with a very soft mouth-feel.

D -- Top of the charts. I wanted to stay all night drinking nothing but this. Well, maybe a Dunkel too!

This is classic Munich Helles for anyone wondering what the style really ought to taste like!

4.16/5  rDev +10.1%

A - Like watching a summer sunset through the back window of your parents' dirty station wagon. The beer pours mostly a simple golden color with a quickly-dissolving head that leaves little to no lacing in my pint glass.

S - Really got me here. Very refreshing smell, slightly sweet and fruity, slightly skunky. Wonderful.

T - Overall, a light, skunky flavor up front, which slowly gives way to a refreshingly hoppy finish and aftertaste.

M - Slightly over-carbonated in my opinion. I've let it air out a little while, and it still has quite a bite on my tongue. Nothing offensive by any means, but I'd prefer a gentler drink.

D - I think it is very well-balanced between substantial taste/aftertaste and simple refreshment/drinkability, and does both very well.

Now, I just have to find my way to Munich so I can appreciate it as intended.

4.22/5  rDev +11.6%

Average pour into a tall pilsener glass. Very light straw color but it's got a nice, fluffy white head on it.

Smells of crisp helles malt, very sharp and clean, along with some light noble hops as well as some mild skunking. Smells refreshing, more than anything. Very good balance.

Tastes a wee bit better than it smells. Crisp and clean and perfectly balanced, a weedy creamy malt starts everything out. This moves into a lightly bitter, lightly skunky middle that smoothly dries out into a wonderfully bitter hop and spicy hop aftertaste.

The firm carbonation and light flavor combine with a wonderfully complex and balanced profile to yield a remarkably drinkable brew. Kripes, it's no wonder the Germans consume so much beer. If I had cheap, easy access to this stuff I'd have it for breakfast!

4.02/5  rDev +6.3%

Hofbrau Original poured a light gold with a small white head. The smell was all hops. Taste was great. Crisp hop flavors. And became malty sweet when it warmed a bit. Very refreshing. Mouthfeel was good, refreshing, with good carbonation. Drinkability was nice, crisp and refreshing. Nice summer beer. I enjoyed this a good deal.

3.85/5  rDev +1.9%

I was able to enjoy this beer fresh from the Hofbrauhaus in Munich. I was used to the simple American Lager, so you better believe I was blown away by this! It came out in a 1 liter stein and was of course, at room temperature.

Its appearance was the normal golden color. I couldn't quite pick up on the smell. The taste is unbelievable, very light and crisp. There was a party in my mouth. After the first stein I was ready for another one.

The room temperature thing is the best way to drink this beer. I feel it would lose a lot of flavor being served ice cold. I found that out the hard way. I purchased a case of Hofbrau Original and was simply disappointed. All the original flavor and taste were gone. However, I did find drinking the bottle at room temperature made it a little better.

4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

I've had this from a bottle, too, and it's a totally different experience. From the is tap much better, in my opinion.

On this occasion, the beer was presented to me in a 1-liter glaskrug, with little head. It looked like your average clear, golden-colored lager, with little smell. However, it went down deliciously smooth. Light body with balanced hop and malt flavors made this a very fresh brew I could have kept drinking all night.

4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

This was poured into a glass mug from the bottle.

A - pours out clear with a light golden color and a decent head that settles somewhat but is retained in a fine lacing

S - balanced malt & hop aroma

T - light malt character followed by a decent, balanced hop finish; very clean

M - light body with moderate carbonation

D - good session beer - very enjoyable; defines the style nicely

4.58/5  rDev +21.2%

A: Poured a medium yellow with a good head that dissipated slowly leaving some lacing.

S: Smells grassy with some grain and a hint of skunk.

T: Grassy herbal hops mixed with a somewhat sweet malt flavor. The hops give this beer a nice bite at the back of your mouth, added a dimension I haven't seen in many German lagers.

M: Just the right amount of body for this style, not light and not too heavy. Middle of the road carbonation.

D: Very crisp and refreshing with good body (you won't confuse this with a light beer). Fantastic session beer.

Summary: My favorite of the German lager crowd...actually one of my favorite beers period. More substantial in body and taste than most in this genre.

4.07/5  rDev +7.7%

A nice clear and bright yellow gold colour with a 2 finger head of foam. It looks like the foam isn't going anywhere in a hurry. Nice.
Ok, halfway through the session, the foam shrunk to just a ring around the glass and that surprised me. Oh well.

I like the smell....plenty of notes of sweet malt, biscuit, and a nice nose of some citrus hops.

The taste follows the nose nicely. Biscuit flavour is there in abundance along with a citric hop kick that gives it some good balance and it finishes with more of the same. Very tasty and very easy to drink.

I used to drink this alot back in the 70s when I lived in California and I'm pleased to say, it's still a damn good Lager. Could I session on it? You betchya!

2.88/5  rDev -23.8%

12oz green bottle (no i will not rant about the bottle in this review, however if you'd like to know how i feel about green bottles from Germany check out my review of the Hofbrau dunkel.)

A- pours a really unappetizing yellow with a decent fluff of a white head, some rising carbonation.

S- Macro lager nose.

T/M- Macro lager taste, cheap weak malts, skunky hops and a grainy feel, not my idea of a refreshing brew. Nor a German lager.

D- This one isn't even worth trying from a bottle.

4.54/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

16.9 fluid ounces into Atlas Mason jar.

A: Quintessential beer look. 2 finger head dissipates down to a nice sheen and collar with some lacing here and there.

S: Standing in a field of clover or in the loft with fresh baled hay with a dripping honey-comb in your hand.

T: Yum! Clover blossom plucked and nectar suckled out. There beer tastes super fresh this beer was brewed for ubermensch.

M: Very nice.

D: A one.

3.47/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured a pale gold with a small white head which left moderate lacing. Not especially impressive to look at.

Smelled sweet and grainy. Not very complex.

Tasted also sweet and grainy, with a very slight malt presence. Again, not very complex but nothing offensive either.

Mouthfeel was pretty good. Somewhat thin but not overly so, and with a fair amount of crispness to it.

An easily drinkable brew and one I enjoyed consuming in large quantities when visiting the Hofbrauhaus. This particular review is from a bottle purchased here in the States, and from the best of my memory it's not quite as enjoyable as the on tap version straight from the "Haus" itself. Of course my surroundings and company at the time may have had something to do with that, lol.

3.96/5  rDev +4.8%

This was a wonderful Helles, with the crisp maltiness one would expect from German lager. Sparingly hopped, but enought to balance well. Show this to a lover of the Macros and they might convernt yet! I wish however, that they were in brown bottles, because I got that slight skunkyness from UV reaction. Such a terrible mistake for a good beer

4.33/5  rDev +14.6%

Hofbräu helles proves to be the example of what a helles should be in the way of appearance. There are massive amounts of bright white head, and an ultra clear and golden body.

The aroma is bold for the style. Fresh mown hay and lemony hops are easily perceptable.

The taste is crisp and clean. There is a little graininess up front, but finishes clean with mild lemon character.

This is about as mellow and smooth as a beer can get. Again this is a benchmark for what a lager should be, especially speaking at the macro level.

3.38/5  rDev -10.6%

Clear and straw colored. Very good head for the style (3-finger); Moderate lace as the bubbles slide back into the brew. Steady stream of new bubbles continue to come forth from the bottom of the glass.

Mild but clean malty aroma. Very soft (in a good way). Slight grain, no notable hop.

Very light flavor. Disappointing to me is the lack of hop finish--it's rather sour. (The aftertaste has faintest touch of hop.) Clean light malt on the front of the taste. Good body and carbonation.

This is better than American macros, but it will still fall into the lawn-mower category for me. I'd love to see more bite to the taste and higher complexity.

2.43/5  rDev -35.7%

I poured the beer into a clear glass and it poured a light golden color. At first sniff I got a slight skunky smell. This turned me off at first. The smell kind of went away after it sat in the glass for a minute or two. But it didn't go away completely. Every time I took a sip I got a slight sniff of skunkyness. Don't get me wrong, the taste of the beer isn't to bad. I've had this beer before and don't remember it having a skunky smell. I'll try this beer again at a later date. Maybe the beer I had has been on the shelf for a while.

4.35/5  rDev +15.1%

What a treat from draft. Enjoyed in a narrow 22 ounce schooner at Gustav's Jägerhaus in Anaheim, this beer hit the spot with a dinner entree of three different sausages and a pork chop. Smooth, lemon sweet, and quite a malty lager. The flavor sits and dissolves on the tongue leaving flavor goodness the way milk chocolate melts in your mouth. More please!

4.15/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Hofbräu Original is a medium yellow color, with a lingering thin to medium head. Smell and taste are a little on the hoppy side, but very clean crisp and drinkable. Medium carbonation. Goes with almost everything I have eaten with it.

This is usual beer, which I actually buy by the case. My staple beer, as it were.

3.68/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours from a green bottle a clear goden yellow with several fingers of pillowy white fluff that leaves behind awesome amounts of thick stickieness as is recedes to a thin cap.The nose is grainy and a little spicy with some hops easily detected.The taste is buttery and buiscuity with a terrific balance of ingredients,light earthy grassy notes blend with a strong malty backbone that ends with a calm sweetness that almost goes without notice.The body is nice and light,with minimal carbonation and a nice skunky/funky Euro finish that lasts between sips.This would make a great summer thirst quencher,or a great winter one for that matter.

4.8/5  rDev +27%

I've been a a beer lover since the age of five when my dad gave me my first sips. His staple beer was Reingold!( of all things!) I have a lot of favorites, but this is definitely way up there. It's simple and uncomplicated...to me it's delicious beer!!!!

4.83/5  rDev +27.8%

This is a wonderful, tasty, full-bodied lager.

A wonderful, tasty, full-bodied lager, this is among my favourites.

It is gold - bright and a bit on the paler side, with a huge, dense, creamy white ehad that only slowly shrinks, leaving a small permanent head and beautiful even lacing in rings down the glass.

The aroma is honey, lots of grain, with hints of pine, lemon, sulphur, and toffee.

The taste is creamy malty grain, bread, lemon, pine. It's zesty, smooth, full-bodied, yet rather crisp ans very refreshing. It's on the sweeter side but with a nice light, aromatic bitterness especially in the finish. It goes incredibly well with food and is exceedingly drinkable.

3.98/5  rDev +5.3%

A- Clear yellow, lots of bubbles, half finger head.

S- Spicy noble hop aroma with a hint of malt. Just a hint of skunk.

D- Although this beer is unassuming at first glance, there really is good balance here. The hops and malt play pretty evenly throughout.

M- Fizzy and light, although nowhere near as bad as the macros.

D- Truly a quaffing beer.

While not the greatest, there is a reason why this is a classic. This beer does just what a macro can do, but with much more taste.

4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from 12oz green bottle into a clear pint glass

A: Clear, golden straw color with lots of carbonation and frothy thick white head with lots of sticky lace

S: Sharp malt aromas mix with Saaz hops to give a very pilsner-like aroma

T: Crisp and pure with clean grainy malt flavor and strong but balanced Saaz hops finish which is moderately drying

M: Refreshingly clean feel with medium body, carbonation in line with the style, and fresh grain aftertaste

D: A great lager with nothing but positive and no real weak point aside from the green bottle.

4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

Now this is the epidemy of the perfect German helles lager! A great staple for Oktoberfest this beer just makes you want to get a bunch of buddies, drink, and have a jolly great time. I enjoyed it nicely chilled in a pint glass. Poured a piercing golden color with a pleasantly sweet aroma. The taste was smooth with a well balanced malt foward goodness. The price is decent to so stock up and drink till your heart is content!

Hofbräu Original from Hofbräuhaus München