Hofbräu München Hefe Weizen - Hofbräuhaus München

Beer added by: Mora2000 on 08-12-2010

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 306 | Reviews: 48
4.74/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a light gold with a nice head. Smell is interesting. It's light to the nose with wheat and fruit. I'm a big fan of hefeweizens and this one was one of the best I've ever had. The taste is so unique for a wheat beer. Great balance. Very creamy and sweet with hints of vanilla. The booziness is perfectly masked. I love it. I would absolutely recommend this to a friend.

4.67/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very banana oriented. Quite smooth and light to the palate. Had this on tap at the Hofbräuhaus and it did not disappoint. Not a whole lot of wheat came through though which was surprising because it is a Hefe Weizen... But overall this is quality beer and does not disappoint!

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

The beer pours really nice and has a wonderful finger or two of whipped cream head.
The faint smell of banana is just enough to make your mouth start to water, and when you take the first sip, you'll know why this is THE go to Hefeweizen! The mouthfeel is refreshingly smooth and clean. Overall this beer is one of the best wheats out there.

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

A: Pours a murky yellow color, looks like a good hefeweizen. Little head.

S: Has the classic smell of beer, kind of like a lager. Alcohol and hops. However, it is a little more pleasant than other comparable brews I've had.

T: Pretty darn good. Initially tastes a bit like a sour with a hint of lemon taste that gives way to the taste of some sort of grain, I'm gonna say barley.

M: Very smooth, with medium carbonation.

O: I have not had to many hefeweizen style beers, but this one is definitely better than many that I've tried. The taste is sweet/sour at the beginning and it is very drinkable. Good beer.

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

Bottle shared by areich6, this is the first beer on our night of the King!

A- Pours very light from the bottle but gets its act together in the glass, hazy orange like you'd expect from a hefe

S- Classic Hefe scent, bananas and cloves on top of the light hops

T- Very sweet banana/orange taste. This is a very very juicy beer which I find delectable

M- Prickly carbonation that caused my greenhorned friend to relate this to a sour at first. This would be amazing on my back porch on a warm summer's eve

O- I thoroughly enjoyed this! IDK how readily available this is in the states but I'd certainly try it again

4.32/5  rDev +11.1%

500 ml bottle poured in a Pilsner glass.

A- Two finger thick white head with large soapy bubbles. Well carbonated, light orange coloration. Sticky lacing.

S- Wheat and bread tones matched with citrus, cloves and banana.

T- Ah wonderful, a real hefeweizen. Banana flavor on top of the bread taste that comes with the wheat. Refreshing and tasty.

M- Full bodied, well carbonated with a superb finish.

O- This is how I like my beers to be. One of my favorite types and executed nearly to perfection.

4.27/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from the green 11.2 fl oz. bottle into a wheat ale glass.

Classic creamy off white colored head on the pour, nothing booming or large like a classic Hefe, but manages a half finger puck. Classic body color, not too dull or bright, opaque but a dull apricot orange and yellow, with lots of micro fine carbonation.

Classic hefe nose. A real great solid aroma that is nicely spicy and aromatic. Mild banana and nutmeg sweetness. Hints of cream a bit as well. A real nice simple and very enjoyable nose and we have luckily also avoided the skunk monster.

Real nice simple palate. Spicy hits bubblegum like aftertaste for the flavor. Mid palate washes in a mild chewy malt density with tangy notes of lemon and bubblegum controlled sweetness but not overly so. Some spiced after phenols more on the nutmeg side of sweetness and staying away from hot and classic brown spice. Nice hints of lemon and lime like finish to match. Palate comes into more lighter body with not a good chewy wheat depth but still pretty solid.

This really surprised me, for such an assuming small bottle, and it's packaging. A nice little hefe that comes off with some real surprising character.

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very creamy, very banana white bread to white bread crust background. Not a lot of hop presence, drinkable, excellent and persisten lace. Decent beer for a late summer evening.

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

Very refreshing, fruity beer.

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. single

app- Gave it the proper wheat beer pour and it gave me the two finger creamy head. Color is on the lighter side. Looks like a mango. Bubbles stream up from the bottom. Spiderweb-like lacing down the sides of the glass.

sml- slightly skunked out of a green bottle. However, the real beer notes overpower that. I get a tart fruit with peppery hints. A lemon hits my nose on the breath out. Good hop presence, but the wheat really takes center stage here.

tst- excited for this. Instead of the tart fruit from the nose, I get the sweet banana flavor so famous in wheat beers. The hops counteract what could be a disastrously sweet beer, and make it supremely balanced. This beer tastes fantastic. I do get that hint of malt but not enough to make a lasting impression.

Mf- thick. Like liquified oatmeal. This could take on most stouts and emerge victorious. Feels fantastic.

This is one great beer. It's not quite the level of Aventinus' Tap 6, but it's getting there. Something about the hops here made me feel like it was just thrown in there because they needed it. Not because they had a plan for them. However these are minimal issues. In general, I would have a refrigerator full of these and be happy. Awesome.

4.18/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It's not quite the Hefeweizen I was expecting as it is definitely much clearer than your average Hefeweizen, but it is good nonetheless. It does have that classic Hefeweizen flavor profile, but it's not nearly as in your face as some which is probably why I like it so much. I would consider this a very good starter for anyone looking to try the Hefeweizen category for the first time. So far I've had 4 styles from this brewer and all of them have been very smooth and easy to drink.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

Beautiful cloudy yellow, modest white head with plentiful rimming.

Powerful whiffs of yeast, wheat, coriander, clove, spices, banana bread. Nearly identical to the the one brewed in Pittsburgh but the latter one on tap is even better.

The taste is extremely nice-- wheat yeasts and thick malts and all the nasal scents coming to fruition in the flavor.

Right up there with my favorite hefeweisens.

4.14/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Hofbräu München Hofbräu Hefe Weizen
,33l green glass bottle, dated "L 268 M 11:01"

Appearance: Hazy, not cloudy yellow-gold body beneath a head of bright white foam. Lacing and retention are just about average for a Bavarian Weizen.

Smell: Wheaty malt, yeasty phenolics of bubblegum/clove and mild banana, fruit... some of which is citrus.

Taste: As the aroma suggests. The malt is delicately sweet, and threaded through with a nice balance of yeasty phenolics. More banana appears but it's still not strong, and the other fruits found in the nose are stronger as well (apple, blackberry, some orange... there's a bit of pith as well as tart juice). There's a bit of plastic, or "Band-Aid" as well, and that helps to balance it as it's only moderately bitter. Upfront you find the malt, infused with phenols and fruit, followed by a more sugary-sweetness as it warms across the middle, and then finally, there's residual plastic, a pinch of pepper, dull clove, muted green banana, and a hint of yeasty chalkiness and citrus pith in the surprisingly dry finish.

Mouthfeel: The body is medium-light, and the carbonation level is elevated and bristling with very-fine bubbles. As it warms it foams in the mouth giving the illusion that it's fuller bodied than it is, and becoming slightly creamy.

Overall: It's kind of hard to fault except for the head retention and lacing. I think it sits halfway between the more phenolic and dry character of Weihenstephaner and one of the more sweet-banana versions. In that sense, it seems as if it would suit anyone who enjoys the style. I personally find the delicate spice and pepper quite nice, and really refreshing. On a hot summer day in the sun I'd most likely choose this over the more formidable maltly sweetness of a Franziskaner. A distinct, overlooked gem that's at least worth trying.

4.11/5  rDev +5.7%

The taste is good just a bit too light. A little more "wheaty" would give it some more heft.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours hazy straw yellow in color with a big one and a half finger fluffy head that has good retention.

Smell has some great traditional hefe aromas. Lots of banana and clove along with more subtle spices. very traditional in a good way.

Taste is great. More clove and spices forward along with some subtle banana like yeast esters. Some very slight sulfur hints which are expected from An imported green bottle beer. Malt is light straw like and grainy.

Mouthfeel is great. Crisp refreshing and high in carbonation leaves this light bodied and very drinkable.

4.07/5  rDev +4.6%

A- Pours a hazy gold with an huge white head. Head retention is excellent, but lacing is spotty.

S- Clove, yeast, banana.

T- citrus, clove. The finish shines with banana and spicy yeast.

M- medium bodied and creamy. Moderate amounts of carbonation. Very drinkable and refreshing.

O- Very nice, very drinkable.

4.04/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

sampled this at Medicine Hat's 5th annual Beerfest...was impressed so I purchase the full meal deal.

All things Hefe in appearance..cloudy, apricot colour, Lot's of fine carbonation bubbles. So-so bone-white head

typical banana/bubblegum aroma with some nice grainy wheat malt. Balance, balance, did I mention balance. Nothing dominates nor is left in the shadows here. Well built Bavarian Hefe to say the least

smooth. creamy mouthfeel. Only downside is it seems to go flat rather quickly

Extremely solid Hefe...the only downer is the %4.50/cdn per 500ml lbottle price tag...one of the best these Hefe head had sampled none-the-less

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Let's face it, our friends in Deutchland know how to make beer. This is especially true when talking about this style. Although I've been to Hofbräuhaus House in Munich, I enjoyed this selection from a bottle at home in the USA. This is the standard...Hefeweizen is either better or worse than this. Good beer.

4.01/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Hazy orange-yellowcolour, 1.5 fingers of white head, not much retention with a little lace as well. Smell is of lots of banana, clove, spice with some bubble gum, spice with some yeast and some nice malting towards the end. Taste is malty with a bit of spice and cloves, banana with some yeast and bubble gum, lightly sweet with banana mid palate to finish and aftertaste. High carbonation with a prickly medium-body. A solid hefe, really easy to drink, would welcome this again a couple times over.

Appearance: surprisingly low head on the pour. Light orange color with a cloudy body. Active carbonation is a touch light for the style.

Smell: crisp apples and grapes on the front. Very traditional wheat body makes up the middle. Citrus and mild hop body is pleasant. Creamy grains continue into the finish.

Taste: hop profile of mangos and oranges on the front. More medium bodied fruits and potent wheat warm up on the body. Lingering citrus notes are a highlight. Grainy finish really pulls the whole brew through.

Mouthfeel: full grains and rich wheat. Some lingering hop tones add complexity.

Overall: a classic hefe. Anyone looking to try a wheat beer could certainly start here.

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

A nice example of a Heffe. The smell is of wheat, caramel, and cloves with a faint banana hint. The yeast is apparant but not dominating. It lends more towards a floral, peppery, and clove spice than the banana side on the yeast, but the banana peeks through in the finish. It has a fruity quality overall with hints of citrus, orange and banana with peppery notes being in the front. A bit watery, grainy and thin on the mouthfeel. Overall, easy to drink and enjoyable.

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Looks exactly how I expect this style to look, cloudy yellow with a nice white head.

Smell is malt, lemon, banana, and clove.

First thing I taste is the citrus notes, then banana and spicy cloves.

The feel wasn't too bad on this one, but may be a touch over carbonated.

This is one beer that really improves as it warms. I first sipped it right out of the fridge, and thought it was bland. Once I let it warm a bit, the flavor really came out. If you let it warm to 50 degrees or better, you will enjoy a very nice wheat beer, one I ended up really liking. Would get this one again.

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Bought a case of 24, 12-ounce bottles. Unfortunately, Hofbrau bottles their stuff in green. Never had this one before, up until now I've only had their Dunkel, which I love.

A: Hard to judge in a cold, green bottle, but it's obviously very cloudy, as a hefeweizen should be. Personally, I think it's way more attractive than a heady beer, which this one is not. No head at all, really. Looks like there might be a little bit of sediment. Looks good to me.

S: Smells very tasty. Lots of yeast and wheat, not at all skunky. Smell is good, but hardly smells the way it tastes.

T: First, a light, crispy wheat taste, then a distinct, almost yeasty, banana flavor. Afterwards, vague apple and bubblegum. The taste is more complex than that, but the banana stands out. I also had this beer room temperature, and it was much more bitter, not as many flavors stood out on my palette, and basically wasn't as good as having it cold, hence my reviewing of this beer while it's cold.

M: Which brings us to this: Room temperature, it was much more dry, however, cold it is still dry, but much more smooth and drinkable. Feels like a mild IPA. Lot of carbonation, burp almost after every quenching gulp.

O: I like this beer. I like a lot of beer, though. When I walked into the beer distributor today, I wanted something hoppy, but I didn't feel adventurous enough to try something new, which limited me to maybe one or two different hoppy beers. So I decided I had enough cash on me to buy a nice import case of Hofbrau! At first I was going to get the Dunkel. I had it before and I really like it, but "dunkel" means dark (I think), so instead I went with the Hefe Weizen. It was either that or the "Original", I think it was called, so it was an easy choice for me. I got the one that didn't sound boring. I like trying new stuff, especially beer, and this one didn't disappoint. I would buy it again but it's certainly not my new favorite.

EDIT: It should be known I never tried another hefeweizen beer before this and I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area, which is very close to the Hofbrauhaus in the US. I've been there and had their dunkel on tap, which is better than the bottles for sure, but not far off. I also did a shotski, if anyone knows what that is.

3.94/5  rDev +1.3%

Nice and well. Well and nice. Raul is diggin' into this thang like King Kong on a banana. Clean like Candice Swanopoel after using a bar of Dove and smooth like Raul on a night on the town. Flavor is crisp and flavorful like Kate Upton eating breakfast.

Pretty pretty pretty good.

3.94/5  rDev +1.3%

A - Pours a murky golden colour, thin layer of head with little retention and no real lacing.

S - Wheat grass, hints of citrus, cloves and a light grassy finish.

T - Much like the nose, cloves, citrus and bready wheat with grassy hops and buttered bread lingering alongside some bitter citrus rind.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and a touch of dryness.

O - Top notch hefe with a solid flavour profile that is sure to please. This beer screams patio pints!

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »