Hofbräu München Hefe Weizen - Hofbräuhaus München

Hofbräu München Hefe WeizenHofbräu München Hefe Weizen

Hofbräuhaus München visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Mora2000 on 08-12-2010)
1.5/5  rDev -61.4%

2.52/5  rDev -35.2%

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

3.04/5  rDev -21.9%

3.08/5  rDev -20.8%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass. Bottling date of "L 017 L" which I am guessing is January 17th?

Pours a hazy amber/straw. A little on the dark side. Not much head. Looks a lot like unfiltered cider. Not a good start.

Distinct smell of skunk upon pouring - damn you, green bottles! It fades quickly, though. It's definitely still there, but there are notes of yeast and wheat as well.

The taste is much better that I was expecting by this point. Light, crisp, just a hint of skunkiness. Very slight metallic aftertaste, but overall not bad.

Ideal carbonation level and thickness.

It is German, and it is a hefeweizen, but it belongs nowhere near the top tier.

3.16/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I have to admit this is only the second Hefe Weizen I have had so bare with me. Of course I poured this beer the correct way with the bottle upside down and swirling 1/3 of the bottle to get any yeast of the bottom.

Appearance- This beer is a creamy orange nectarine color that you can not see through. The head is about three fingers after the initial pour but goes down quickly. You can witness the cloudiness of the beer once held up to a light and can really appreciate the amount of yeastiness present just from the sight.

Smell- The smell is very unique. It has a strong apricot smell to it. With a swirl of the glass a strong artificial banana smell comes out. I do smell somewhat of a fake tanginess to the beer but the yeast smell is quite present and and apparent.

Taste- Wow the number one thing I taste right from the get go is a fruity pungent taste. I taste a lot of apricot, however the banana I smelt I cannot really taste. With the second taste and a little bit more concentrated sense, I can taste much of the yeast in the beer and it is quite good actually.

Mouthfeel- The mouthfeel is pretty decent. It has somewhat of a watery consistency, however it has a certain bit of body that can be detected. It is definitely filling but much more watery than I presumed .

Overall, this beer is quite good. I would say that it is a beginners German beer. I would recommend it to any American who has not dived deep within the German Hefe Weizen scene yet. This is only my third review ever let me know how I did! CHEERS!

3.18/5  rDev -18.3%

Slightly murky, it pours with a nice rich golden color. Bright aromas of orange and citrus, the beer is very light and quite refreshing. Though the immediate flavors are fairly mild, it is only in the finish that the flavors really come through: a little sweet with a "creamy" or "smooth" aftertaste. There is a perceptible (albeit surprisingly faint) wheat flavor.

An understated beer that is refreshing for a summer day or to accompany a meal.

Notes: My bottle stated 5.1% ABV. Review made from notes.

3.23/5  rDev -17%

On tap at the Tap Room in the Coddingtown Whole Foods in Santa Rosa.

A: What you would expect from a hefeweizen. Cloudy with little head or lacing.

S: Some nice spices. Again pretty typical. Cloves, yeast, wheat. The usuall suspects.

T: Sweeter than I expected. You get the clove and the banana as you would expect, but I also got a slight bubble gum flavor that I have only ever gotten from one other hefeweizen(Gordon Biersch). Ok flavors.

M: Medium bodied. Medium carbonation. Nothing special, but not bad.

O: Not bad, but nothing special. I am happy I ordered it, but am not interested in getting it again.

3.43/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Typical hefeweizen hazy, straw-colored appearance. Mediocre head retention and lacing characteristics. Nice clove and banana notes on the aroma. A slight plasticky smell takes the aroma down a notch.

Refreshing and fruity on the palate, the flavor profile is par for the style. Light, wheaty malt base. Kind of lifeless on the finish. Mouthfeel is soft and pleasant, if a bit undercarbonated.

A solid, if uninspiring hefeweizen. There are plenty of better ones available in my NJ market, so I can't see myself picking this up again.

3.44/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A-Poured perfectly into the towering Hofbrau glass. It's cloudy, yet bright yellow in color. Head is a dense concentration of tight, white foam. Leaves noticeable amounts of lacing.

S-Quite soft in the aroma. Soft banana notes with minimal spice. Some sweetened wheat notes are present as well. A hint of bubblegum.

T-The flavor is also quite tame. It almost seems watered down during some sips. Subtle flavors of banana and banana flavored yogurt are present. The clove and bubblegum are more noticeable in the flavor. Finishes with a mostly sweet wheaty maltiness.

M-Light bodied with large, soft bubbles. A bit watery. Very easy to put away. Flavors do not linger.

O/D-An easy drinking Hefeweizen that I would probably not order again. It failed to pique my interest during any point of consumption.

3.5/5  rDev -10%