Hofbräu München Hefe Weizen - Hofbräuhaus München

Hofbräu München Hefe WeizenHofbräu München Hefe Weizen

Hofbräuhaus München visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Mora2000 on 08-12-2010)

timwardjr, Oct 06, 2012

JohneHoodlum, Oct 04, 2012

Prestonlegal, Sep 28, 2012

fishguyac, Sep 22, 2012

azdback, Sep 01, 2012
3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

With a nice swirl to kick up the yeast this beer pours a hazy straw yellow with a fluffy white head that soon settles down into the glass.

Clove and banana great the nose, as well as some hay and wheat smells. Very subtle balance with nothing leaping out to the for front.

Beer is very refreshing, bread, yeast, wheatie tasting, not to sweet and not to dry. Very clean and refreshing finish.

Mouthfeel is awesome, very smooth and creamy and coats the inside of the mouth well.

Overall this is a very refreshing wheat beer. It is a good representation of the style.

LeeryLeprechaun, Aug 31, 2012

caseyhoward, Aug 05, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

RTHKI, Jul 20, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Looks exactly how I expect this style to look, cloudy yellow with a nice white head.

Smell is malt, lemon, banana, and clove.

First thing I taste is the citrus notes, then banana and spicy cloves.

The feel wasn't too bad on this one, but may be a touch over carbonated.

This is one beer that really improves as it warms. I first sipped it right out of the fridge, and thought it was bland. Once I let it warm a bit, the flavor really came out. If you let it warm to 50 degrees or better, you will enjoy a very nice wheat beer, one I ended up really liking. Would get this one again.

Vixie, Jul 09, 2012

RobTown, Jun 30, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

TeamUgly, Jun 30, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Bought a case of 24, 12-ounce bottles. Unfortunately, Hofbrau bottles their stuff in green. Never had this one before, up until now I've only had their Dunkel, which I love.

A: Hard to judge in a cold, green bottle, but it's obviously very cloudy, as a hefeweizen should be. Personally, I think it's way more attractive than a heady beer, which this one is not. No head at all, really. Looks like there might be a little bit of sediment. Looks good to me.

S: Smells very tasty. Lots of yeast and wheat, not at all skunky. Smell is good, but hardly smells the way it tastes.

T: First, a light, crispy wheat taste, then a distinct, almost yeasty, banana flavor. Afterwards, vague apple and bubblegum. The taste is more complex than that, but the banana stands out. I also had this beer room temperature, and it was much more bitter, not as many flavors stood out on my palette, and basically wasn't as good as having it cold, hence my reviewing of this beer while it's cold.

M: Which brings us to this: Room temperature, it was much more dry, however, cold it is still dry, but much more smooth and drinkable. Feels like a mild IPA. Lot of carbonation, burp almost after every quenching gulp.

O: I like this beer. I like a lot of beer, though. When I walked into the beer distributor today, I wanted something hoppy, but I didn't feel adventurous enough to try something new, which limited me to maybe one or two different hoppy beers. So I decided I had enough cash on me to buy a nice import case of Hofbrau! At first I was going to get the Dunkel. I had it before and I really like it, but "dunkel" means dark (I think), so instead I went with the Hefe Weizen. It was either that or the "Original", I think it was called, so it was an easy choice for me. I got the one that didn't sound boring. I like trying new stuff, especially beer, and this one didn't disappoint. I would buy it again but it's certainly not my new favorite.

EDIT: It should be known I never tried another hefeweizen beer before this and I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area, which is very close to the Hofbrauhaus in the US. I've been there and had their dunkel on tap, which is better than the bottles for sure, but not far off. I also did a shotski, if anyone knows what that is.

Sweepz189, Jun 23, 2012

djwhit24, Jun 21, 2012
3.08/5  rDev -20.8%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass. Bottling date of "L 017 L" which I am guessing is January 17th?

Pours a hazy amber/straw. A little on the dark side. Not much head. Looks a lot like unfiltered cider. Not a good start.

Distinct smell of skunk upon pouring - damn you, green bottles! It fades quickly, though. It's definitely still there, but there are notes of yeast and wheat as well.

The taste is much better that I was expecting by this point. Light, crisp, just a hint of skunkiness. Very slight metallic aftertaste, but overall not bad.

Ideal carbonation level and thickness.

It is German, and it is a hefeweizen, but it belongs nowhere near the top tier.

Blargimus, Jun 10, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -10%

DLS168, Jun 09, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

HefeRules, Apr 08, 2012
3.18/5  rDev -18.3%

Slightly murky, it pours with a nice rich golden color. Bright aromas of orange and citrus, the beer is very light and quite refreshing. Though the immediate flavors are fairly mild, it is only in the finish that the flavors really come through: a little sweet with a "creamy" or "smooth" aftertaste. There is a perceptible (albeit surprisingly faint) wheat flavor.

An understated beer that is refreshing for a summer day or to accompany a meal.

Notes: My bottle stated 5.1% ABV. Review made from notes.

rinhaak, Apr 04, 2012
3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance - Pours a hazy, pale golden straw with a white 3 finger head. Good retention. Resulting lace stretches the surface and sticks well.

Smell - Bready yeast and banana. A bit of wheat. Not much in the way of clove by comparison to some other hefes. Vaguely remindful of banana bread.

Taste - Wheat and banana primarily. A bit of yeast follows through. Tastes slightly watery at times.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and creamy. Carbonation is decent; could use more bite.

Overall - A good hefe, but not great. Fairly tame by comparison to some of the better hefeweizens.

TheSixthRing, Mar 29, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +12.6%

A: Pours a murky yellow color, looks like a good hefeweizen. Little head.

S: Has the classic smell of beer, kind of like a lager. Alcohol and hops. However, it is a little more pleasant than other comparable brews I've had.

T: Pretty darn good. Initially tastes a bit like a sour with a hint of lemon taste that gives way to the taste of some sort of grain, I'm gonna say barley.

M: Very smooth, with medium carbonation.

O: I have not had to many hefeweizen style beers, but this one is definitely better than many that I've tried. The taste is sweet/sour at the beginning and it is very drinkable. Good beer.

areich6, Mar 06, 2012
4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

Bottle shared by areich6, this is the first beer on our night of the King!

A- Pours very light from the bottle but gets its act together in the glass, hazy orange like you'd expect from a hefe

S- Classic Hefe scent, bananas and cloves on top of the light hops

T- Very sweet banana/orange taste. This is a very very juicy beer which I find delectable

M- Prickly carbonation that caused my greenhorned friend to relate this to a sour at first. This would be amazing on my back porch on a warm summer's eve

O- I thoroughly enjoyed this! IDK how readily available this is in the states but I'd certainly try it again

pschul4, Mar 06, 2012