Hofbräu München Hefe Weizen - Hofbräuhaus München

Hofbräu München Hefe WeizenHofbräu München Hefe Weizen

Hofbräuhaus München visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Mora2000 on 08-12-2010)

Kuongming, Jan 07, 2013

rderedin, Dec 23, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

MacStinson, Dec 10, 2012
4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

Beautiful cloudy yellow, modest white head with plentiful rimming.

Powerful whiffs of yeast, wheat, coriander, clove, spices, banana bread. Nearly identical to the the one brewed in Pittsburgh but the latter one on tap is even better.

The taste is extremely nice-- wheat yeasts and thick malts and all the nasal scents coming to fruition in the flavor.

Right up there with my favorite hefeweisens.

therica, Dec 02, 2012

Prestonlegal, Sep 28, 2012

fishguyac, Sep 22, 2012

azdback, Sep 01, 2012
3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

With a nice swirl to kick up the yeast this beer pours a hazy straw yellow with a fluffy white head that soon settles down into the glass.

Clove and banana great the nose, as well as some hay and wheat smells. Very subtle balance with nothing leaping out to the for front.

Beer is very refreshing, bread, yeast, wheatie tasting, not to sweet and not to dry. Very clean and refreshing finish.

Mouthfeel is awesome, very smooth and creamy and coats the inside of the mouth well.

Overall this is a very refreshing wheat beer. It is a good representation of the style.

LeeryLeprechaun, Aug 31, 2012

iL0VEbeer, Aug 24, 2012

Cyrano41, Aug 07, 2012

craigmj7, Aug 07, 2012

caseyhoward, Aug 05, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

RTHKI, Jul 20, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Looks exactly how I expect this style to look, cloudy yellow with a nice white head.

Smell is malt, lemon, banana, and clove.

First thing I taste is the citrus notes, then banana and spicy cloves.

The feel wasn't too bad on this one, but may be a touch over carbonated.

This is one beer that really improves as it warms. I first sipped it right out of the fridge, and thought it was bland. Once I let it warm a bit, the flavor really came out. If you let it warm to 50 degrees or better, you will enjoy a very nice wheat beer, one I ended up really liking. Would get this one again.

Vixie, Jul 09, 2012

RobTown, Jun 30, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

TeamUgly, Jun 30, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Bought a case of 24, 12-ounce bottles. Unfortunately, Hofbrau bottles their stuff in green. Never had this one before, up until now I've only had their Dunkel, which I love.

A: Hard to judge in a cold, green bottle, but it's obviously very cloudy, as a hefeweizen should be. Personally, I think it's way more attractive than a heady beer, which this one is not. No head at all, really. Looks like there might be a little bit of sediment. Looks good to me.

S: Smells very tasty. Lots of yeast and wheat, not at all skunky. Smell is good, but hardly smells the way it tastes.

T: First, a light, crispy wheat taste, then a distinct, almost yeasty, banana flavor. Afterwards, vague apple and bubblegum. The taste is more complex than that, but the banana stands out. I also had this beer room temperature, and it was much more bitter, not as many flavors stood out on my palette, and basically wasn't as good as having it cold, hence my reviewing of this beer while it's cold.

M: Which brings us to this: Room temperature, it was much more dry, however, cold it is still dry, but much more smooth and drinkable. Feels like a mild IPA. Lot of carbonation, burp almost after every quenching gulp.

O: I like this beer. I like a lot of beer, though. When I walked into the beer distributor today, I wanted something hoppy, but I didn't feel adventurous enough to try something new, which limited me to maybe one or two different hoppy beers. So I decided I had enough cash on me to buy a nice import case of Hofbrau! At first I was going to get the Dunkel. I had it before and I really like it, but "dunkel" means dark (I think), so instead I went with the Hefe Weizen. It was either that or the "Original", I think it was called, so it was an easy choice for me. I got the one that didn't sound boring. I like trying new stuff, especially beer, and this one didn't disappoint. I would buy it again but it's certainly not my new favorite.

EDIT: It should be known I never tried another hefeweizen beer before this and I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area, which is very close to the Hofbrauhaus in the US. I've been there and had their dunkel on tap, which is better than the bottles for sure, but not far off. I also did a shotski, if anyone knows what that is.

Sweepz189, Jun 23, 2012