Hofbräu München Hefe Weizen - Hofbräuhaus München

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Mora2000 on 08-12-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
4.74/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a light gold with a nice head. Smell is interesting. It's light to the nose with wheat and fruit. I'm a big fan of hefeweizens and this one was one of the best I've ever had. The taste is so unique for a wheat beer. Great balance. Very creamy and sweet with hints of vanilla. The booziness is perfectly masked. I love it. I would absolutely recommend this to a friend. (374 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a cloudy, gold color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Good retention and good lacing. Smells of wheat, sweet malt, citrus, hint of coriander, and a hint of hop. Fits the style of a Hefeweizen. Mouth feel is smooth and clean, with a low carbonation level. Tastes of wheat, sweet malt, hint of caramel malt, hint of hop, and slight citrus. Overall, good appearance, feel, aroma, body, and blend. Nothing extraordinary, but a very solid Hefeweizen. (451 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

sampled this at Medicine Hat's 5th annual Beerfest...was impressed so I purchase the full meal deal.

All things Hefe in appearance..cloudy, apricot colour, Lot's of fine carbonation bubbles. So-so bone-white head

typical banana/bubblegum aroma with some nice grainy wheat malt. Balance, balance, did I mention balance. Nothing dominates nor is left in the shadows here. Well built Bavarian Hefe to say the least

smooth. creamy mouthfeel. Only downside is it seems to go flat rather quickly

Extremely solid Hefe...the only downer is the %4.50/cdn per 500ml lbottle price tag...one of the best these Hefe head had sampled none-the-less (637 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I have to admit this is only the second Hefe Weizen I have had so bare with me. Of course I poured this beer the correct way with the bottle upside down and swirling 1/3 of the bottle to get any yeast of the bottom.

Appearance- This beer is a creamy orange nectarine color that you can not see through. The head is about three fingers after the initial pour but goes down quickly. You can witness the cloudiness of the beer once held up to a light and can really appreciate the amount of yeastiness present just from the sight.

Smell- The smell is very unique. It has a strong apricot smell to it. With a swirl of the glass a strong artificial banana smell comes out. I do smell somewhat of a fake tanginess to the beer but the yeast smell is quite present and and apparent.

Taste- Wow the number one thing I taste right from the get go is a fruity pungent taste. I taste a lot of apricot, however the banana I smelt I cannot really taste. With the second taste and a little bit more concentrated sense, I can taste much of the yeast in the beer and it is quite good actually.

Mouthfeel- The mouthfeel is pretty decent. It has somewhat of a watery consistency, however it has a certain bit of body that can be detected. It is definitely filling but much more watery than I presumed .

Overall, this beer is quite good. I would say that it is a beginners German beer. I would recommend it to any American who has not dived deep within the German Hefe Weizen scene yet. This is only my third review ever let me know how I did! CHEERS! (1,537 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Yes, I know it has a green bottle, and I know that it has what they call "skunkiness", but it works. It does. Heineken has a green bottle and the skunkiness but it doesn't work. There's a difference. OK?

This is a good hefeweizen. The typical flavors are there (wheat, coriander, spice, yeast), but there are hops along for the ride as well. Most notable are lemon scents and flavors. A bit on the thin side, even for a hefeweizen, but it finishes clean.

This isn't a perfect hefeweizen by any means, and in fact I think it's overrated. But everything seems to work pretty well, and it's a tasty albeit unremarkable example of the style. (640 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. single

app- Gave it the proper wheat beer pour and it gave me the two finger creamy head. Color is on the lighter side. Looks like a mango. Bubbles stream up from the bottom. Spiderweb-like lacing down the sides of the glass.

sml- slightly skunked out of a green bottle. However, the real beer notes overpower that. I get a tart fruit with peppery hints. A lemon hits my nose on the breath out. Good hop presence, but the wheat really takes center stage here.

tst- excited for this. Instead of the tart fruit from the nose, I get the sweet banana flavor so famous in wheat beers. The hops counteract what could be a disastrously sweet beer, and make it supremely balanced. This beer tastes fantastic. I do get that hint of malt but not enough to make a lasting impression.

Mf- thick. Like liquified oatmeal. This could take on most stouts and emerge victorious. Feels fantastic.

This is one great beer. It's not quite the level of Aventinus' Tap 6, but it's getting there. Something about the hops here made me feel like it was just thrown in there because they needed it. Not because they had a plan for them. However these are minimal issues. In general, I would have a refrigerator full of these and be happy. Awesome. (1,234 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Hazy orange-yellowcolour, 1.5 fingers of white head, not much retention with a little lace as well. Smell is of lots of banana, clove, spice with some bubble gum, spice with some yeast and some nice malting towards the end. Taste is malty with a bit of spice and cloves, banana with some yeast and bubble gum, lightly sweet with banana mid palate to finish and aftertaste. High carbonation with a prickly medium-body. A solid hefe, really easy to drink, would welcome this again a couple times over. (499 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -11%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Typical hefeweizen hazy, straw-colored appearance. Mediocre head retention and lacing characteristics. Nice clove and banana notes on the aroma. A slight plasticky smell takes the aroma down a notch.

Refreshing and fruity on the palate, the flavor profile is par for the style. Light, wheaty malt base. Kind of lifeless on the finish. Mouthfeel is soft and pleasant, if a bit undercarbonated.

A solid, if uninspiring hefeweizen. There are plenty of better ones available in my NJ market, so I can't see myself picking this up again. (534 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +2.9%

A - Pours a murky golden colour, thin layer of head with little retention and no real lacing.

S - Wheat grass, hints of citrus, cloves and a light grassy finish.

T - Much like the nose, cloves, citrus and bready wheat with grassy hops and buttered bread lingering alongside some bitter citrus rind.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and a touch of dryness.

O - Top notch hefe with a solid flavour profile that is sure to please. This beer screams patio pints! (455 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +6.3%

A- Pours a hazy gold with an huge white head. Head retention is excellent, but lacing is spotty.

S- Clove, yeast, banana.

T- citrus, clove. The finish shines with banana and spicy yeast.

M- medium bodied and creamy. Moderate amounts of carbonation. Very drinkable and refreshing.

O- Very nice, very drinkable. (313 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

the green bottles don't do this any favors. a few of my sixer were skunked out a little bit, but this is a quality brew when handled correctly. the pour is a familiar cloudy pale yellow with a faint orangey hue and a bold white foamy head, thick with nice retention. the nose is clove and banana from the yeast, again, true to style. there is some more hops in the flavor of this than in some other german versions, which makes it a little snappy in the finish. I like that feature a lot, as no sugar really is detectable. I also like that the abv of this beer isn't 4.something, which I often find to be a negative feature of some of the german imports. easy drinking and chock full of flavor. there is a creamy texture to this, and its fuller bodied for the style. overall I think I probably like the paulaner version better, but this is a quality brew by any measure. just be careful of the green bottles that have spent too much time under florescents! (956 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

I've been to the Hofbrauhaus in Germany. It's awesome. I wish we had some places like this in the U.S. As for the Hofbrau Hefe Weizen, the first thing I noticed was it came in the dreaded green bottle. I know that shouldn't be a factor in making an honest assessment of a beer, but it definately doesn't give you a good first impression.

A- Not a thick, rich head but one than filled quickly and dissipated almost as fast.

S- Cloves, some banana. Definately that classic German Weiss beer aroma.

T- a little bready, not over the top- decent.

M- creamy good; made me pucker-up.

O- A good, German Weiss beer. I wouldn't say it was nearly as good as some of the others I've had, but it's better then most American born weiss beers. (733 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

Beautiful cloudy yellow, modest white head with plentiful rimming.

Powerful whiffs of yeast, wheat, coriander, clove, spices, banana bread. Nearly identical to the the one brewed in Pittsburgh but the latter one on tap is even better.

The taste is extremely nice-- wheat yeasts and thick malts and all the nasal scents coming to fruition in the flavor.

Right up there with my favorite hefeweisens. (400 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -5.5%

With a nice swirl to kick up the yeast this beer pours a hazy straw yellow with a fluffy white head that soon settles down into the glass.

Clove and banana great the nose, as well as some hay and wheat smells. Very subtle balance with nothing leaping out to the for front.

Beer is very refreshing, bread, yeast, wheatie tasting, not to sweet and not to dry. Very clean and refreshing finish.

Mouthfeel is awesome, very smooth and creamy and coats the inside of the mouth well.

Overall this is a very refreshing wheat beer. It is a good representation of the style. (568 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Looks exactly how I expect this style to look, cloudy yellow with a nice white head.

Smell is malt, lemon, banana, and clove.

First thing I taste is the citrus notes, then banana and spicy cloves.

The feel wasn't too bad on this one, but may be a touch over carbonated.

This is one beer that really improves as it warms. I first sipped it right out of the fridge, and thought it was bland. Once I let it warm a bit, the flavor really came out. If you let it warm to 50 degrees or better, you will enjoy a very nice wheat beer, one I ended up really liking. Would get this one again. (587 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Bought a case of 24, 12-ounce bottles. Unfortunately, Hofbrau bottles their stuff in green. Never had this one before, up until now I've only had their Dunkel, which I love.

A: Hard to judge in a cold, green bottle, but it's obviously very cloudy, as a hefeweizen should be. Personally, I think it's way more attractive than a heady beer, which this one is not. No head at all, really. Looks like there might be a little bit of sediment. Looks good to me.

S: Smells very tasty. Lots of yeast and wheat, not at all skunky. Smell is good, but hardly smells the way it tastes.

T: First, a light, crispy wheat taste, then a distinct, almost yeasty, banana flavor. Afterwards, vague apple and bubblegum. The taste is more complex than that, but the banana stands out. I also had this beer room temperature, and it was much more bitter, not as many flavors stood out on my palette, and basically wasn't as good as having it cold, hence my reviewing of this beer while it's cold.

M: Which brings us to this: Room temperature, it was much more dry, however, cold it is still dry, but much more smooth and drinkable. Feels like a mild IPA. Lot of carbonation, burp almost after every quenching gulp.

O: I like this beer. I like a lot of beer, though. When I walked into the beer distributor today, I wanted something hoppy, but I didn't feel adventurous enough to try something new, which limited me to maybe one or two different hoppy beers. So I decided I had enough cash on me to buy a nice import case of Hofbrau! At first I was going to get the Dunkel. I had it before and I really like it, but "dunkel" means dark (I think), so instead I went with the Hefe Weizen. It was either that or the "Original", I think it was called, so it was an easy choice for me. I got the one that didn't sound boring. I like trying new stuff, especially beer, and this one didn't disappoint. I would buy it again but it's certainly not my new favorite.

EDIT: It should be known I never tried another hefeweizen beer before this and I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area, which is very close to the Hofbrauhaus in the US. I've been there and had their dunkel on tap, which is better than the bottles for sure, but not far off. I also did a shotski, if anyone knows what that is. (2,257 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -21.1%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass. Bottling date of "L 017 L" which I am guessing is January 17th?

Pours a hazy amber/straw. A little on the dark side. Not much head. Looks a lot like unfiltered cider. Not a good start.

Distinct smell of skunk upon pouring - damn you, green bottles! It fades quickly, though. It's definitely still there, but there are notes of yeast and wheat as well.

The taste is much better that I was expecting by this point. Light, crisp, just a hint of skunkiness. Very slight metallic aftertaste, but overall not bad.

Ideal carbonation level and thickness.

It is German, and it is a hefeweizen, but it belongs nowhere near the top tier. (668 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -16.4%

Slightly murky, it pours with a nice rich golden color. Bright aromas of orange and citrus, the beer is very light and quite refreshing. Though the immediate flavors are fairly mild, it is only in the finish that the flavors really come through: a little sweet with a "creamy" or "smooth" aftertaste. There is a perceptible (albeit surprisingly faint) wheat flavor.

An understated beer that is refreshing for a summer day or to accompany a meal.

Notes: My bottle stated 5.1% ABV. Review made from notes. (505 characters)

3.83/5  rDev 0%

Appearance - Pours a hazy, pale golden straw with a white 3 finger head. Good retention. Resulting lace stretches the surface and sticks well.

Smell - Bready yeast and banana. A bit of wheat. Not much in the way of clove by comparison to some other hefes. Vaguely remindful of banana bread.

Taste - Wheat and banana primarily. A bit of yeast follows through. Tastes slightly watery at times.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and creamy. Carbonation is decent; could use more bite.

Overall - A good hefe, but not great. Fairly tame by comparison to some of the better hefeweizens. (569 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

A: Pours a murky yellow color, looks like a good hefeweizen. Little head.

S: Has the classic smell of beer, kind of like a lager. Alcohol and hops. However, it is a little more pleasant than other comparable brews I've had.

T: Pretty darn good. Initially tastes a bit like a sour with a hint of lemon taste that gives way to the taste of some sort of grain, I'm gonna say barley.

M: Very smooth, with medium carbonation.

O: I have not had to many hefeweizen style beers, but this one is definitely better than many that I've tried. The taste is sweet/sour at the beginning and it is very drinkable. Good beer. (617 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

Bottle shared by areich6, this is the first beer on our night of the King!

A- Pours very light from the bottle but gets its act together in the glass, hazy orange like you'd expect from a hefe

S- Classic Hefe scent, bananas and cloves on top of the light hops

T- Very sweet banana/orange taste. This is a very very juicy beer which I find delectable

M- Prickly carbonation that caused my greenhorned friend to relate this to a sour at first. This would be amazing on my back porch on a warm summer's eve

O- I thoroughly enjoyed this! IDK how readily available this is in the states but I'd certainly try it again (617 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +12.8%

500 ml bottle poured in a Pilsner glass.

A- Two finger thick white head with large soapy bubbles. Well carbonated, light orange coloration. Sticky lacing.

S- Wheat and bread tones matched with citrus, cloves and banana.

T- Ah wonderful, a real hefeweizen. Banana flavor on top of the bread taste that comes with the wheat. Refreshing and tasty.

M- Full bodied, well carbonated with a superb finish.

O- This is how I like my beers to be. One of my favorite types and executed nearly to perfection. (501 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -16.4%

On tap at the Tap Room in the Coddingtown Whole Foods in Santa Rosa.

A: What you would expect from a hefeweizen. Cloudy with little head or lacing.

S: Some nice spices. Again pretty typical. Cloves, yeast, wheat. The usuall suspects.

T: Sweeter than I expected. You get the clove and the banana as you would expect, but I also got a slight bubble gum flavor that I have only ever gotten from one other hefeweizen(Gordon Biersch). Ok flavors.

M: Medium bodied. Medium carbonation. Nothing special, but not bad.

O: Not bad, but nothing special. I am happy I ordered it, but am not interested in getting it again. (615 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

A nice example of a Heffe. The smell is of wheat, caramel, and cloves with a faint banana hint. The yeast is apparant but not dominating. It lends more towards a floral, peppery, and clove spice than the banana side on the yeast, but the banana peeks through in the finish. It has a fruity quality overall with hints of citrus, orange and banana with peppery notes being in the front. A bit watery, grainy and thin on the mouthfeel. Overall, easy to drink and enjoyable. (470 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -10.7%

A- Looks the typical decoction mash pearlescent, hazy, olive-yellow. The head was white, fine textured, and moderately lacy.

S- This beer's smells were less than inviting. A strong skunkiness upon pouring did not blow off completely, but persisted to a moderate degree until the end. Just as bad was that the remaining aromatic profile was a very strong floral bar soap smell, exactly like the soaps shaped like a little seashell or flower that you would find in a old lady's powder room.

T- Tastes of sweet fruity malt up front, with a grainy, corny mid palate, and a grassy, hoppy bitter-sweet finish. The flavors were acceptable, in spite of the odd smells. (663 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast