Hofbräu Dunkel - Hofbräuhaus München

Hofbräuhaus München visit their website
Germany

Munich Dunkel Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-18-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hofbräu Dunkel Alström Bros
Ratings: 973 | Reviews: 315

My FAVORITE beer of all time, draft at my nearest Hofbrauhaus in Cincinatti, NICE flavor rich taste.. the king of beer

Ah yes! The best beer in the world! I can't say any negative reviws on this beer. I've enjoyed this personal favorite for such a long time. The foam was a nice antique beigh with a deep rich aroma. The color is a dark amber red. Nothing compares to the taste in my opinion. A smooth, rich and robust taste with a plethora of complex smells. The mouthfeel was smooth and medium-bodied. If I had to live off
just kind of beer for the rest of my life, this would be it.

I can enough of this beer. My all time favorite. Hands down one of the best in my opinion. My brother went on holiday to Germany and mention about this great beer he had. Turns out las Vegas has a Hofbrauhaus. I had a stein and I fell in love with it ever since.

Dark in color. Smells and tastes like bread (from oats?) It tastes like sweet bread. Good medium body. Easy to drink, smooth and balanced. I thoroughly enjoy it.

4.94/5  rDev +31.4%

amazingly awesome this is a hell of a dunkel

4.94/5  rDev +31.4%

This IS my favorite beer!

4.85/5  rDev +29%

By far, my favorite beer of all. The flavors in this beer explode along with the wonderful aroma of caramel. I usually have two liters of this great beer on tap, at the Heidelberg in NYC, the food and beer are fantastic, I have never been disappointed. I have serious trouble trying to keep my glass on the bar.

4.8/5  rDev +27.7%

First of all, a lot of the reviews on this page are refering to a Hofbrauhouse in Vegas or Kentucky...
Vegas is for gambling
Kentucky is for horse racing

Germany is for Beer!

This Hofbräu is from Germany...

I found this to be a nice dark brown brew which had a nice head that lingered around for the entire pint drinking experience.
I like this beer, good classic German Dunkel.
I could have a lot of these with a couple of bbq'd brauts or soft, warm, fresh baked pretzels.
Great taste.

A message for the other Hofbrau drinkers : Try this beer and you'll go back to Vegas or Kentucky and let the other guys know that their beer doesn't hold a candle to the German version!

4.79/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I'm biased as this is my favorite beer of all time. Wonderful dunkel.

4.75/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My favourite beer in this style. Fresh and tasty.

4.75/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Best dunkel I have had. Honestly questioning myself on why I don't give it a 5. This beer is the only reason I go to their restaurant. Don't recommend this beer on the golf course or after playing softball, but that's about it.

4.73/5  rDev +25.8%

Amzing beer with a nice rich, full body taste. Smells like it taste. Good amount of head when poored. No bitter bite. Real nice dark malt flavor with hints of caramel and chocolate. The end is much like the taste of toasted bread. Just a hint of spicyness and a little bit of hop. This beer is a real winner.

I liked it some much a had to go out a get a 1/2 keg of it at home in the kegerator. Its just as good as ever. Really a treat.

4.65/5  rDev +23.7%

really enjoyed this beer its nicely balanced taste and crisp clean mouthfeel just makes you want that next one. pours a medium brown with hints of ruby highlights and a beige head and a light spotty lace.

lightly roasted malt with a very light hint of caramel.

slightly sweet roasted malt with a light bitter hop finish and a lingering after taste.

light to medium mouthfeel thats crisp and clean.

this beer gets it all right.

4.65/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This is by far best dunkel on draft lucky for me the brewery is 10 min from house the bottle is good but if you can get on draft I highly recommend

4.63/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Nice head with decent lacing. Beautiful color dark bronze. Not to sweet but smell and taste molasses. Nice consistent taste throughout. Really nice beer.

4.6/5  rDev +22.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

L - Clear, dark brown color; Foam dome: 2-3 fingers high, really solid white and a distinct separation from the rest of the beer

S - Coffee, chocolate, and molasses

T - Chocolate, caramel, and soft bread notes. Kind of like chocolate chip pancakes

F - Smooth like a porter but light as a pilsner. Good session beer

O - This beer is like a chocolate bar at the check out line. Very affordable and very tasty with coffee and chocolate notes. Definitely will drink again.

4.57/5  rDev +21.5%

Appearance: Very clear red-brown...bordering on light garnet. There is a small 1/4" head of off white bubbles that is there after a cautious pour. The head was on its way somewhere within the first 15 seconds, but it takes it at least a minute before it receeds into the beer.

Aroma: Lots and lots of toasty malts are the dominant aroma, and I don't think that there is really any hops here. The malt is so rich that it gives me an impression of dark cherries. It is dry and cracker like with a clean noticeable sweetness, with lots of toasty notes.

Taste: The flavor is even more malty than the flavor suggested. The sweetness is definitely there, but it is so attenuated with so many toasty notes that it is not cloying in any way, shape, or form. There is a noticeable caramel sweetness that makes itself apparent in the middle of the sip and sticks with you throughout the rest of the flavor profile. The finish is clean and malty with only a bit of sweetness and the dryness of the malt to linger. No alcohol is noticeable the entire time.

Opinion: This is a great beer, and one tha I like to drink pretty much as often as I find it. I am actually surprised that I haven't reviewed it until now because I drink it frequently...since it became available in Texas. I would recommend that you give this beer a shot if you want to know what a quality German session beer tastes like. Plenty of everything to make it a great experience to drink. Prost!

4.55/5  rDev +21%

Hofbrauhaus, Newport.

Dark copper-chestnut color, topped by a light tan head. Aroma of sweet caramel and roasted malts. The taste has a mild sweetness surrounded by nice roasted malt background. Good caramel flavors with a touch of what I would swear is chocolate, followed by a crisp finish. Lingering bitterness on the aftertaste eventually gives way to just an ever so faint sweetness. Mouthfeel is very solid. Drinakbility is excellent. Amazingly fresh. Even my grandmother and mom liked this offering. Perhaps the best dark lager I've tried. Outstanding.

4.53/5  rDev +20.5%

11.2oz Green bottle into a shaker. Why green, hofbrau? Why? My beer store has UV filters, but still, they only work so well, and even then, we don't know how it was handled before they get it...

A - Crystal clear brown with a massive off-white head that forms a nice, close pillow. Lots of lacing.

S - Slightly chocolatey with an herbal background. Very pleasant.

T - Smooth, doughy malt sweetness with a dark caramel note. Very light herbal hop flavor noted.

M - Light bodied with low to medium carbonation.

O - Wow, could I put down a few of these. They sure know how to do lagers in Munich.

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

My fiancé bought me a case as I'm always up for trying a new German beer. Poured a bottle into my Victory Prima Pils pilsener glass.

A: pours a nice amber with nice three-finger head. Good carbonation evident.

S: very bready, slightly toasty malt aroma. Nice floral hop notes. Great display of German malts.

T & M: nice caramel malt profile. Each taste gives a nice slightly creamy sensation that delivers malt goodness over the tongue. Dry tasting with nice medium mouthfeel. Really great tasting dunkel!

D very drinkable beer. Could be nice for a session, as a compliment for whatever food, or a great after work brew. A delight.

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

Very smooth and delicious aftertaste that sticks with you. Really good beer.

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

This beer is severely under appreciated.....I luv it!!!!

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

Clear, medium-dark amber color. Nice balance of hops with a slightly malty finish. Yeah, the Germans know what they're doing. This one is really good!

4.48/5  rDev +19.1%

Had this at the Hofbrauhause in Munich. Presentation in a liter stein is enough to warrant an exceptional appearance score alone, add to that a great brown color and frothy head and you have a winner. The smell was subtle, I could find the roasted malt only because I was looking for it, but a general smell of freshness is most prevalent. Taste is classic. Exactly what I would expect from this beer. The flavor is not over the top at any point, exceptional balance between the roasted malt flavor and small amount of hops. This beer is not trying to grab your attention; it's a classic case of less is more. This is one beer everyone should have on tap to understand the style and intention of the beer. In the US there is a mentality that every beer has to try to "out do" the competition and grab our attention. That’s not the case here; you will actually be wowed at the fact of how a simple beer can be so great. Mouthfeel is smooth and watery, refreshing and light. And drinkability is insane, to be served in a liter stein this thing has to be drinkable and that it is.

4.45/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

now this is a truly special review for me.
after just leaving the famous OLD WORLD in Huntington Beach and having one of these on tap, i come home to find a bottle of this superb nectar in my frig (i like to surprise myself). minus the great ambience of THE RATHSKELLER downstairs at Old World, i am now comparing the keg version of the pub and the bottled version in my frig.
both had a great head expected of decent (although commercial) german brews which dissipated into nothing in the bottled version but lingered a bit longer in the kegged version. both are a beautiful, coppery brown with the traditional malty smell and caramel-ly taste. smell is also of that traditional and beautiful (not sure what kind) malt and is also present in the other commercials like paulaner etc....
little carbonation in the taste but after putting the glass down there becomes a mini explosion of tiny bubbles rising to create a thin layer of foam.
overall, who couldnt love this brew except for one who has simply had too many german commercials in his life? it's not an outstanding tasting brew, but commercially, head to head with any othe country on the globe, the germans have got beer right.
i have to admit, however, that the first tatsings of the kegged version were unmarred as the latter tastes became slightly impaired by the sauerkraut and bratwurst which lent a tad numbing bitterness to the taste. but, man, i wish i were still at The Rathskeller. . . . . .
oh, and one more.... WHY/HOW CAN THERE BE NO PICTURE OF THIS BEER ON THE SITE???? so, i am uploading my picture. what a beautiful picture it is, isnt it? okay, never mind- it wont upload my jpeg. maybe THAT's why there's no pictures...

Hofbräu Dunkel from Hofbräuhaus München