Hofbräu Dunkel - Hofbräuhaus München

Hofbräu DunkelHofbräu Dunkel

Hofbräuhaus München visit their website
Germany

Munich Dunkel Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-18-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hofbräu Dunkel Alström Bros

My FAVORITE beer of all time, draft at my nearest Hofbrauhaus in Cincinatti, NICE flavor rich taste.. the king of beer

Nascarlee15, Aug 21, 2014

Ah yes! The best beer in the world! I can't say any negative reviws on this beer. I've enjoyed this personal favorite for such a long time. The foam was a nice antique beigh with a deep rich aroma. The color is a dark amber red. Nothing compares to the taste in my opinion. A smooth, rich and robust taste with a plethora of complex smells. The mouthfeel was smooth and medium-bodied. If I had to live off
just kind of beer for the rest of my life, this would be it.

Monsteruss, Apr 06, 2009

JLapadura, Mar 20, 2012

DCH, Jun 12, 2013

I can enough of this beer. My all time favorite. Hands down one of the best in my opinion. My brother went on holiday to Germany and mention about this great beer he had. Turns out las Vegas has a Hofbrauhaus. I had a stein and I fell in love with it ever since.

Hofbrauman, Jun 04, 2013

mccorjf54, Jul 07, 2012

thatdirtymick, Dec 28, 2011

KevinRailton, Jun 30, 2014
4.88/5  rDev +29.8%

By far, my favorite beer of all. The flavors in this beer explode along with the wonderful aroma of caramel. I usually have two liters of this great beer on tap, at the Heidelberg in NYC, the food and beer are fantastic, I have never been disappointed. I have serious trouble trying to keep my glass on the bar.

germanbeerluvr, May 30, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +28.5%

First of all, a lot of the reviews on this page are refering to a Hofbrauhouse in Vegas or Kentucky...
Vegas is for gambling
Kentucky is for horse racing

Germany is for Beer!

This Hofbräu is from Germany...

I found this to be a nice dark brown brew which had a nice head that lingered around for the entire pint drinking experience.
I like this beer, good classic German Dunkel.
I could have a lot of these with a couple of bbq'd brauts or soft, warm, fresh baked pretzels.
Great taste.

A message for the other Hofbrau drinkers : Try this beer and you'll go back to Vegas or Kentucky and let the other guys know that their beer doesn't hold a candle to the German version!

JoeyBeerBelly, Jan 14, 2007

wattoclone, Sep 12, 2012

rhumbking, Jul 03, 2014

Cosho, Jul 01, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +26.3%

Amzing beer with a nice rich, full body taste. Smells like it taste. Good amount of head when poored. No bitter bite. Real nice dark malt flavor with hints of caramel and chocolate. The end is much like the taste of toasted bread. Just a hint of spicyness and a little bit of hop. This beer is a real winner.

I liked it some much a had to go out a get a 1/2 keg of it at home in the kegerator. Its just as good as ever. Really a treat.

RichardAlexander, Jul 13, 2012

Agalloch, Nov 21, 2013

Ahoest26, Dec 13, 2012

suavitaer, Sep 04, 2012

andy1701, Apr 03, 2014

SnarkyFinn, Aug 16, 2014

HKUSPC40, Nov 11, 2012
4.7/5  rDev +25%

really enjoyed this beer its nicely balanced taste and crisp clean mouthfeel just makes you want that next one. pours a medium brown with hints of ruby highlights and a beige head and a light spotty lace.

lightly roasted malt with a very light hint of caramel.

slightly sweet roasted malt with a light bitter hop finish and a lingering after taste.

light to medium mouthfeel thats crisp and clean.

this beer gets it all right.

billybob, Jun 03, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +22.3%

Patrick_Allen, Sep 07, 2014
4.58/5  rDev +21.8%

11.2oz Green bottle into a shaker. Why green, hofbrau? Why? My beer store has UV filters, but still, they only work so well, and even then, we don't know how it was handled before they get it...

A - Crystal clear brown with a massive off-white head that forms a nice, close pillow. Lots of lacing.

S - Slightly chocolatey with an herbal background. Very pleasant.

T - Smooth, doughy malt sweetness with a dark caramel note. Very light herbal hop flavor noted.

M - Light bodied with low to medium carbonation.

O - Wow, could I put down a few of these. They sure know how to do lagers in Munich.

Megahertz, Jun 05, 2012
4.58/5  rDev +21.8%

Appearance: Very clear red-brown...bordering on light garnet. There is a small 1/4" head of off white bubbles that is there after a cautious pour. The head was on its way somewhere within the first 15 seconds, but it takes it at least a minute before it receeds into the beer.

Aroma: Lots and lots of toasty malts are the dominant aroma, and I don't think that there is really any hops here. The malt is so rich that it gives me an impression of dark cherries. It is dry and cracker like with a clean noticeable sweetness, with lots of toasty notes.

Taste: The flavor is even more malty than the flavor suggested. The sweetness is definitely there, but it is so attenuated with so many toasty notes that it is not cloying in any way, shape, or form. There is a noticeable caramel sweetness that makes itself apparent in the middle of the sip and sticks with you throughout the rest of the flavor profile. The finish is clean and malty with only a bit of sweetness and the dryness of the malt to linger. No alcohol is noticeable the entire time.

Opinion: This is a great beer, and one tha I like to drink pretty much as often as I find it. I am actually surprised that I haven't reviewed it until now because I drink it frequently...since it became available in Texas. I would recommend that you give this beer a shot if you want to know what a quality German session beer tastes like. Plenty of everything to make it a great experience to drink. Prost!

SkeeterHawk, Aug 02, 2007