Hofbräu Dunkel - Hofbräuhaus München

Hofbräu DunkelHofbräu Dunkel

Hofbräuhaus München visit their website

Munich Dunkel Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-18-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hofbräu Dunkel Alström Bros
Reviews: 310 | Hads: 1,046

Ah yes! The best beer in the world! I can't say any negative reviws on this beer. I've enjoyed this personal favorite for such a long time. The foam was a nice antique beigh with a deep rich aroma. The color is a dark amber red. Nothing compares to the taste in my opinion. A smooth, rich and robust taste with a plethora of complex smells. The mouthfeel was smooth and medium-bodied. If I had to live off
just kind of beer for the rest of my life, this would be it.

I can enough of this beer. My all time favorite. Hands down one of the best in my opinion. My brother went on holiday to Germany and mention about this great beer he had. Turns out las Vegas has a Hofbrauhaus. I had a stein and I fell in love with it ever since.

Dark in color. Smells and tastes like bread (from oats?) It tastes like sweet bread. Good medium body. Easy to drink, smooth and balanced. I thoroughly enjoy it.

4.85/5  rDev +29.3%

By far, my favorite beer of all. The flavors in this beer explode along with the wonderful aroma of caramel. I usually have two liters of this great beer on tap, at the Heidelberg in NYC, the food and beer are fantastic, I have never been disappointed. I have serious trouble trying to keep my glass on the bar.

4.83/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On draft at Hofbrahaus Pittsburgh.

Poured into a liter stein... A solid 2"-3" of head. Beautiful rub hue, excellent clarity.

Aroma is sweet malt and caramel. Taste follows the nose with wonderful malt, biscuit and caramel sweetness. Well carbonated, mouth feel is excellent.

Very delicious and easy drinking beer. It has been a few years since I had this one and I was very impressed on the re-visit.

4.8/5  rDev +28%

First of all, a lot of the reviews on this page are refering to a Hofbrauhouse in Vegas or Kentucky...
Vegas is for gambling
Kentucky is for horse racing

Germany is for Beer!

This Hofbräu is from Germany...

I found this to be a nice dark brown brew which had a nice head that lingered around for the entire pint drinking experience.
I like this beer, good classic German Dunkel.
I could have a lot of these with a couple of bbq'd brauts or soft, warm, fresh baked pretzels.
Great taste.

A message for the other Hofbrau drinkers : Try this beer and you'll go back to Vegas or Kentucky and let the other guys know that their beer doesn't hold a candle to the German version!

4.75/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Best dunkel I have had. Honestly questioning myself on why I don't give it a 5. This beer is the only reason I go to their restaurant. Don't recommend this beer on the golf course or after playing softball, but that's about it.

4.73/5  rDev +26.1%

Amzing beer with a nice rich, full body taste. Smells like it taste. Good amount of head when poored. No bitter bite. Real nice dark malt flavor with hints of caramel and chocolate. The end is much like the taste of toasted bread. Just a hint of spicyness and a little bit of hop. This beer is a real winner.

I liked it some much a had to go out a get a 1/2 keg of it at home in the kegerator. Its just as good as ever. Really a treat.

4.65/5  rDev +24%

really enjoyed this beer its nicely balanced taste and crisp clean mouthfeel just makes you want that next one. pours a medium brown with hints of ruby highlights and a beige head and a light spotty lace.

lightly roasted malt with a very light hint of caramel.

slightly sweet roasted malt with a light bitter hop finish and a lingering after taste.

light to medium mouthfeel thats crisp and clean.

this beer gets it all right.

4.63/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Nice head with decent lacing. Beautiful color dark bronze. Not to sweet but smell and taste molasses. Nice consistent taste throughout. Really nice beer.

4.6/5  rDev +22.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

L - Clear, dark brown color; Foam dome: 2-3 fingers high, really solid white and a distinct separation from the rest of the beer

S - Coffee, chocolate, and molasses

T - Chocolate, caramel, and soft bread notes. Kind of like chocolate chip pancakes

F - Smooth like a porter but light as a pilsner. Good session beer

O - This beer is like a chocolate bar at the check out line. Very affordable and very tasty with coffee and chocolate notes. Definitely will drink again.

4.57/5  rDev +21.9%

Appearance: Very clear red-brown...bordering on light garnet. There is a small 1/4" head of off white bubbles that is there after a cautious pour. The head was on its way somewhere within the first 15 seconds, but it takes it at least a minute before it receeds into the beer.

Aroma: Lots and lots of toasty malts are the dominant aroma, and I don't think that there is really any hops here. The malt is so rich that it gives me an impression of dark cherries. It is dry and cracker like with a clean noticeable sweetness, with lots of toasty notes.

Taste: The flavor is even more malty than the flavor suggested. The sweetness is definitely there, but it is so attenuated with so many toasty notes that it is not cloying in any way, shape, or form. There is a noticeable caramel sweetness that makes itself apparent in the middle of the sip and sticks with you throughout the rest of the flavor profile. The finish is clean and malty with only a bit of sweetness and the dryness of the malt to linger. No alcohol is noticeable the entire time.

Opinion: This is a great beer, and one tha I like to drink pretty much as often as I find it. I am actually surprised that I haven't reviewed it until now because I drink it frequently...since it became available in Texas. I would recommend that you give this beer a shot if you want to know what a quality German session beer tastes like. Plenty of everything to make it a great experience to drink. Prost!

4.55/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

An amazing dunkel. If this was rated to style it would be in the 90's. It is one of the best dunkels I have ever had. Count on the Germans to do it right. The beer pours nicely, leaving a firm head. It assaults your nose with various malt aromas and tastes nearly how it smells. The flavor is sublime and cuts off just quick enough to keep you coming back for another sip. It drinks easy, like most lagers, but is very flavorful. It's also a great price point and is usually very cheap. You can't really go wrong with this one and I would highly suggest trying it out if you are looking for a tasteful, sessionable drink.

4.55/5  rDev +21.3%

Hofbrauhaus, Newport.

Dark copper-chestnut color, topped by a light tan head. Aroma of sweet caramel and roasted malts. The taste has a mild sweetness surrounded by nice roasted malt background. Good caramel flavors with a touch of what I would swear is chocolate, followed by a crisp finish. Lingering bitterness on the aftertaste eventually gives way to just an ever so faint sweetness. Mouthfeel is very solid. Drinakbility is excellent. Amazingly fresh. Even my grandmother and mom liked this offering. Perhaps the best dark lager I've tried. Outstanding.

4.53/5  rDev +20.8%

11.2oz Green bottle into a shaker. Why green, hofbrau? Why? My beer store has UV filters, but still, they only work so well, and even then, we don't know how it was handled before they get it...

A - Crystal clear brown with a massive off-white head that forms a nice, close pillow. Lots of lacing.

S - Slightly chocolatey with an herbal background. Very pleasant.

T - Smooth, doughy malt sweetness with a dark caramel note. Very light herbal hop flavor noted.

M - Light bodied with low to medium carbonation.

O - Wow, could I put down a few of these. They sure know how to do lagers in Munich.

4.5/5  rDev +20%

My fiancé bought me a case as I'm always up for trying a new German beer. Poured a bottle into my Victory Prima Pils pilsener glass.

A: pours a nice amber with nice three-finger head. Good carbonation evident.

S: very bready, slightly toasty malt aroma. Nice floral hop notes. Great display of German malts.

T & M: nice caramel malt profile. Each taste gives a nice slightly creamy sensation that delivers malt goodness over the tongue. Dry tasting with nice medium mouthfeel. Really great tasting dunkel!

D very drinkable beer. Could be nice for a session, as a compliment for whatever food, or a great after work brew. A delight.

4.5/5  rDev +20%

Clear, medium-dark amber color. Nice balance of hops with a slightly malty finish. Yeah, the Germans know what they're doing. This one is really good!

4.48/5  rDev +19.5%

Had this at the Hofbrauhause in Munich. Presentation in a liter stein is enough to warrant an exceptional appearance score alone, add to that a great brown color and frothy head and you have a winner. The smell was subtle, I could find the roasted malt only because I was looking for it, but a general smell of freshness is most prevalent. Taste is classic. Exactly what I would expect from this beer. The flavor is not over the top at any point, exceptional balance between the roasted malt flavor and small amount of hops. This beer is not trying to grab your attention; it's a classic case of less is more. This is one beer everyone should have on tap to understand the style and intention of the beer. In the US there is a mentality that every beer has to try to "out do" the competition and grab our attention. That’s not the case here; you will actually be wowed at the fact of how a simple beer can be so great. Mouthfeel is smooth and watery, refreshing and light. And drinkability is insane, to be served in a liter stein this thing has to be drinkable and that it is.

4.45/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

now this is a truly special review for me.
after just leaving the famous OLD WORLD in Huntington Beach and having one of these on tap, i come home to find a bottle of this superb nectar in my frig (i like to surprise myself). minus the great ambience of THE RATHSKELLER downstairs at Old World, i am now comparing the keg version of the pub and the bottled version in my frig.
both had a great head expected of decent (although commercial) german brews which dissipated into nothing in the bottled version but lingered a bit longer in the kegged version. both are a beautiful, coppery brown with the traditional malty smell and caramel-ly taste. smell is also of that traditional and beautiful (not sure what kind) malt and is also present in the other commercials like paulaner etc....
little carbonation in the taste but after putting the glass down there becomes a mini explosion of tiny bubbles rising to create a thin layer of foam.
overall, who couldnt love this brew except for one who has simply had too many german commercials in his life? it's not an outstanding tasting brew, but commercially, head to head with any othe country on the globe, the germans have got beer right.
i have to admit, however, that the first tatsings of the kegged version were unmarred as the latter tastes became slightly impaired by the sauerkraut and bratwurst which lent a tad numbing bitterness to the taste. but, man, i wish i were still at The Rathskeller. . . . . .
oh, and one more.... WHY/HOW CAN THERE BE NO PICTURE OF THIS BEER ON THE SITE???? so, i am uploading my picture. what a beautiful picture it is, isnt it? okay, never mind- it wont upload my jpeg. maybe THAT's why there's no pictures...

4.42/5  rDev +17.9%

Bottled in mid-2008, this is served in a traditional German stange at several degrees above fridge temperature. Paired with a hunk of Raclette.

Appearance- Pours a rich caramel, supporting an unbelievable five finger crown... it reduces eventually to a craggy mat, rugged and uneven. A few broken bands of lace remain in the glass.

Smell- Chocolate, dark bready notes, and a whopping malt nose come together for an exquisite display of Dunkel magic. There's an organic character to the aroma, almost like centipedes or woodlice in the damp forest. Love it.

Taste- Rich and malty, the balance of ingredients is damn near perfect. It's straightforward and honest, but so well done that the hops kick in just at the end to dry the palate for the next sip. After swallowing, the atmosphere in the mouth remaines largely malt based; much better than I remember a year ago.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Solid, moderate carbonation fuels the flavors and brings out the malty, natural elements I mentioned before. Great alone and with the cheese I've selected, but it could certainly complement a burger or sausage just fine too. A worthy, widely-available Dunkel Lager from Munich.

4.41/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fresh off the tap, this is one of my favorites. Great dark amber color with thick head. Medium body with some malt and light hoppiness early, with a touch of bitterness at the finish. Great beer.

4.4/5  rDev +17.3%

A: deep copper with a creamy off-white head and decent lacing

S: There is a munich malt presence with notes of bread crust and a slight nuttiness

T: There is a malty sweetness mixed with the melanoidan flavors of toasted biscuit and bread crust. There is a faint chocolate nuttiness which adds to the complexity of this beer.

M: smooth and full bodied (very dextrinous). There is a residual sweetness but it is not cloying, it leaves you wanting another sip

D: This is fantastic. The malt profile here is complex and tastes outstanding. You could drink this beer all night. I highly recommend this one

4.4/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This beer pours a rich reddish brown with just a little off white head that quickly dissipates. The smell is mostly of caramel and malt. The taste matches the smell exactly with a little bit of toasty flavor at the end. The mouthfeel is about what you would expect from a beer of this style. Overall a pretty tasty beer, but as these are fairly sweet I don't think I could drink more than a couple of these per session.

4.38/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11.2 FL. OZ. Green bottle

Pours a nice three finger off white foam head. Very clear clean dark amber color with some slight small bubbles.

Light fragrance of wood and ripe fruit maybe a bit of brown sugar.

Slightly bitter hop taste with a bit of roasted malt notes and a hint of molasses.

Feels light and crisp in the mouth but has a rich flavor and is very refreshing.

Overall I was very pleased with this beer and I will be buying more in the near future.

4.38/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

After getting hooked on the Hofbräu original I had to try the Dunkel. I've never been a huge fan of darks but this one will surely keep a permanent place in my fridge! Simply delicious! I wish I had tried it on tap while at The Old German Beer Hall in Milwaukee, WI but only had the original there. I tried the dunkel from bottle. Fresh, lightly carbonation, nice aroma, and highly recommended!

Hofbräu Dunkel from Hofbräuhaus München