Antonio's Original Garlic Pils - Brew Brothers Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Brew Brothers Brewery
Alberta, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: jcalabre on 09-30-2003)
Reviews by jcalabre:
jcalabre

3.33/5  rDev +1.8%

Nice packaging in a blue grolsch style bottle
Appearance: This pours a hazy golden color with a white head.
Aroma: The nose is of sweet garlic.
Flavor: This brew has a nice, soft, slightly sweet, w/ a hint of garlicky flavor. I actually enjoyed it. This is definitely not for everyone

09-30-2003 02:53:48 | More by jcalabre
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.55/5  rDev +8.6%

I liked it, I like garlic. It helped that in transporting back to Toronto, the bottle got a good shaking up, and not too much sediment of garlic taste, and so the creamy head top overflowed the first third of the pour. Points for originality. Too bad this place is finito, and just in the recent few days!
Had again ten weeks later, love that garlic aroma. Good lace, mm! aged garlic.

09-22-2005 03:36:47 | More by Sammy
IronDjinn

3.43/5  rDev +4.9%

I had sampled this brew many, many years ago, long before I was a BA or ever knew that I was on the road to becoming a craft brew drinker (trying everything out there at least once). Long before my palate had matured and I truly knew the difference between one style and another. And I admit, I had been utterly traumitized by the experience of sampling this stuff, couldn't finish the whole glass, even after the huge bowl of pasta I made to help wash it down with (washing the beer down with the pasta that is). But I do love garlic, with a Ukrainian heritage and all, and Antonio's Garlic Clove restaurant has been an institution within my old neighbourhood of Mission for as long as I can remember.

This edition for the shelves comes in a clear 500 ml swing-top bottle, like the original release (although I thought the cobalt blue bottles were much, much nicer). And this time around I feel more prepared to sample and review this unique beer. Pours out a hazy medium gold hue, small pieces suspended garlic. The bottle itself comes with a clove of garlic in it (eat your heart out Crazy Ed and your chili beer!), but my clove was too big to pour out the neck of the bottle. A decent head at first as well, but it recedes soon enough.

As far as the aroma goes, either you enjoy garlic or you don't, and to add to that, either you are prepared to inhale such an intense hit of garlic emanating from your beer glass, or you're not. I've had years to prepare for this once again, and I do enjoy my garlic, so I have to admit that I am revelling in the bouquet of this vegetable beer, it is a straight shot of pungeant garlic right up the olifactory highway, everything else contained in this pilsener is held in a headlock by that one ingredient.

The flavour is milder than I remember it to be, I have a feeling they've tweeked the recipe a bit. There is a good dose of garlic at first, but it takes a step back allowing the base of the actual pilsener to shine through in the middle, and even provide somewhat of a light, if not a touch watery, metallic grain finish before the garlic returns full force (after all, it was only a step back the whole time) on the aftertaste. If you like garlic, just as if you enjoy your face-slapping hoppy IPA's, this will be enjoyable, you've been conditioned to this flavour over time. For the uninitiated, I can easily see this being slightly traumatic. Yet I can easily say that my former experience with this is long in the past for me, I am enjoying this particular incarnation of this style immensely compared to before.

The mouthfeel is a little too light and watery for my tastes, but granted the challenge of the flavour, it does add to make this a more quaffable beer in the long run.

I admit, I managed to empty the glass this time, and without the aid of any thickly sauced pasta to wash it down with. Not something I could drink everyday, but the aroma is heavenly, and I look forward to using this as a marinade sometime in the future. If you like your garlic Antonio's is still the place to go in Calgary, and I commend the Brew Brothers for continuing to produce the rare styles that are available here in Alberta.

07-03-2005 20:10:59 | More by IronDjinn
BigBry

2.75/5  rDev -15.9%

After having read a couple of previous reviews I wanted to try this. Not because it was that good of a beer, but purely for the uniqueness factor. (Plus I have liked everything else from local producer Brew Brothers). Luckily I stumbled onto a bottle at a small l iquor stoe at 5th Ave and 10th St. At $4.19 for a 500ml bottle, a little pricey, but oh well.
500 ml flip top clear bottle. Slightly cloudy straw colored beer with a garlic clove floating in the bottom. Cracking the seal, there was an immediate aroma of "straight out of the oven" garlic toast. Pours OK, with a short white head - looks like an average pilsner. Smell is all garlic, very strong yet clean - like the garlic smell from an Italian restarant kitchen. I was expecting a more sour, rancid garlic smell (especially fearing the clear bottle). The first taste actually wasn't too bad. Not as strong as the smell, but it is all garlic and not much else. Basically and average pilsner taste with some salty garlic on top. After a few more swallows, there is a sticky mouthcoating aftertaste of even more garlic. The more you drink, the stronger the garlic flavor becomes and by the time you finish the bottle, it is almost impossible to stomach. Try it for the originality factor only.
To sum it up, very different but it is exactly as advertised, they aren't trying to fool anyone. Tough one to rate, because there is not anything to compare it to. Now I am going to have to try out Antonio's Garlic Clove Restaurant.

09-10-2005 14:58:26 | More by BigBry
Cwrw

3.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Produced by Brew Brothers for the restaurant Antonio's Garlic Clove in Mission neighbourhood, Calgary. This is hard to come by otherwise--even Brew Brothers brewpub does not stock it, and I only just found it at the Horseman Liquor Store here in Airdrie. This is the hardest Brew Brothers beer to find, because of limited production. The 500ml flange-top bottle is clear, with a small blue label covering the hinge, with "Have you had your garlic pils today?" on the side. The piece of garlic can be seen easily through the bottle. The beer is a cloudy straw/honey colour, with a good white creamy head, typical of Brew Brothers. Tight rings of lace. It looks like a Pils, cloudiness excluded. Aroma is a case of no surprises: massive hit of garlic, up front and fearless. Beware: this is powerful garlic on the nose. As the beer warmed, and I smelt more closely, some light maltiness played with even lighter hops in the background, but this truly lives up the name for its aroma. Besides the garlic, there is little else to describe, and I do not find the aroma too appetising, because it does not exactly induce a person to take a sip. The taste is not as strong, and at first I detect very little garlic on the tongue, but on the middle and finish, it does come through, and the finish is actually quite interesting, with some hop dryness, a little breadiness, and the pungency of the garlic, but not overmuch. I can tell the beer's pilsner taste, behind the garlic, is solid and tasty. The garlic adds a nuance which is unexpected, and actually this beer is more drinkable than I would have thought by the smell. The mouthfeel is medium in both body and carbonation. This is definitely not something to drink regularly, and I certainly would not buy a four-pack of them, but it was interesting to try, and actually less offensive than you might think. A bold beer, not for everyone, but garlic lovers would adore it. Extremely unique, especially with the piece of garlic floating in the beer(and I thought lemons were strange beer garnishes...) One is certainly enough for me.

06-17-2005 07:48:11 | More by Cwrw
Antonio's Original Garlic Pils from Brew Brothers Brewery
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.