Boon Oude Geuze - Brouwerij Boon

Brouwerij Boon visit their website

Gueuze |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 03-16-2005

6.5-7.0% abv
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boon Oude Geuze Alström Bros
Ratings: 637 | Reviews: 243
1.24/5  rDev -68.5%

This beer pours a clear, bubbly yellow with a thick head. The aroma is of lemons with a hint of sour grapes and a yeast mustiness. The flavor is purely sour grapes and nothing else. It's mouthfeel is light and fizzy, champagne like. Boon Oude Geuze is a good example of the style, just not for me. Not recommended!

Pours a slightly hazy golden color, topped witha couple of fingers of white head that immediately disappears. Lots of bubbles in there.
The aroma is soury, between new wine and cider.
The taste is quite sharp, soury and dry.
Don't really like it, sorry.

2.5/5  rDev -36.5%

Pours a beautiful pale ale like colour with great head and lacing. Smell is sour and funky. White wine vinegar and cider spring to mind.

The taste is very sour and acidic. There's a cat urine flavour in here. It is a very different beer drinking experience to most beers. Most beers, such as Porters, Stouts, Lagers, IPAs or Belgian strong ales have a certain shared "beer" like taste. This one doesn't. It tastes very strange and not entirely pleasant.

Overall, I didn't enjoy this at all. I know we should rate beers according to style but these review should also give people some warning that some styles can divide opinions strongly and be hard for even experienced beer fans to enjoy. Hence my terrible review for what may be a classic of this (weird) style.

Someone pass me an ice cold lager - any lager. Quick!!

50/100

2.61/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Got this at the Mitra down the road. Put it up against eight other gueuze as part of an educational evening of gueuze and football re-runs.

From a 37,5cl corked and caged bottle into a snifter
Vintage: 2009-2010
Best by 28 September 2031

APPEARANCE: Pours a 1+ finger, medium looking, fluffy white head with good retention. Clear gamboge orande with higher levels of carbonation evident. Head fades to a thick cap and remains in tact as the glass empties.

SMELL: Different than the standard gueuze. Probably due to the added sweetness. Some dark grapes and caramel notes, along some funky aromas, lactic acid, as well as notes of lemon and orange esters.

TASTE: Musty and mouldy up front, with light caramel and dark grape sweetness, as well as some lactic acid at the swallow. Tart lemon sourness with musty, funky dank notes linger on the palate. Old cheese and fungus as well. Quite musty and mouldy here, with a strange sweetness as well. An odd combination.

PALATE: Medium body with lower levels of carbonation. A little watery on the palate, but goes down fine and finishes slightly dry on the palate.

OVERALL: Not for me. This one is too musty and funky for my tastes, and the added sweetness doesn't seem to help the situation either. This one is everywhere around here, so it's a bit of a shame that I like their Mariage Parfait exponentially better. Win some and lose some I guess.

2.64/5  rDev -33%

A- Very pale, cloudy yellow with beautiful white frothy head.

S-Gross. Skunk, predominantly, and then the sour as a close second. Honey, barn and straw... that's about it.

T- Lemon, skunk, vinegar... on and on with sour, but much worse. Not as sour as it should be. Aftertaste of vomit.

M- Clean and smooth, slightly creamy.

D- Awful. I won't have it again.

2.7/5  rDev -31.5%

Andy shared this with me the other night. Review from notes. Poured this into a snifter. Pours a hazy golden color with a thing layer of bubbly white head and thin lacing. Smell is all tart, like granny smith apples. I really only get sourness from the nose, there isn't much else for me to smell because this is an overpowering aroma. The taste tart apples and a musty aftertaste. I felt like this was really over carbonated, it kind of exploded in my mouth. It took my a while to drink this, I like the sourness but it finished musty for me.

2.73/5  rDev -30.7%

Thanks to Bobby for this bottle, one of a few random beers he generously gave to me after we had our own mini tasting the other night. Best by: 26-02-2030.

Appearance: WAYYY over carbonated. Initial soft pour produced about a pinky-width worth of gold liquid with about 4 inches of pure white head. Doesnt take the head too long to recede but stays at about half an inch after a couple more pours. Darker gold color.

Smell: Not much too it. Yeah I catch the funkiness but not too much else going on. Some mild sweetness, sourness is light in the smell.

Taste: Smooth. Not sour, not funky, a little tart. Some fruit on the back of the palate, and a very off putting metallic flavor. Taste is not in the mouth for any length of time after the sip goes down, and tastes watery by the end. Bumped up the review aboput 30 mins later on the taste part as the taste gets better as it warms. A little fruitier.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation that was so apparent in the pour seems to have left by the time I take my sips. Minimal tingle. Thin, even for the style.

Overall: Not much going on with this beer. Not a big fan. Maybe a good way to enter funky beers for some, but not that good for me. Much more desirable beers in the style for me.

2.76/5  rDev -29.9%

Shared by InebriatedJoker as a part of a gueuze tasting.

Appearance
Lemon yellow with a fairly substantial haze. There is a lot of droopy, sliding lace left from a wispy layer of white froth.

Aroma
The smell of this one stood out as being very different from the others. Its cheesy, very cheesy. Funky old soft cheese and old gym socks. Any sourness that might be suggested here is very lactic and vinegary.

Taste
Like the nose suggested, this one is much more lacticly sour than anything else. The end is pretty yeasty and phenolic with a bit of a tinny flavor. A big ol dab of funky cheese is there too.

Mouthfeel
For some reason this beer is a little numbing to the tongue. Carbonation is low, but I can't shake the few metallic and alcoholic flavors that peek out at the back end of this beer.

Overall
I'm not sure, but I think this bottle was a little young. It seems rough around the edges, phenolic and yeasty. I'm sure it could mature into something proper.

2.84/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

First time trying this style of beer, not my kind of thing. Probably a very good example of it style though, no off flavours.

2.88/5  rDev -26.9%

12.7oz bottle, $6.99 in Dearborn. I swear I've had it before but I see I haven't reviewed it so I'm not sure.

The cork gives a good audible, a dangerous sign but there's no gushing. The aroma is fairly good, musty bret with some sweetness. It tastes not quite as good as it smells, sweet upfront with a weirdly bitter aftertaste. I've had some off bottles of 3F gueuze before, maybe that's the case here too. Hard to finish the bottle, I'll revisit with something fresher near the source soon.

2.91/5  rDev -26.1%

Bought as a corked 12oz bottle.
There is a lot of carbonation in this beer. The head started at 2 finger and grew to 3 as I write this first couple sentences. The head is quite thick adn an ivory color. The beer is a cloudy apricot. The smelly and taste are quite funky. This is the first Guauze I've had, so I don't have much of a baseline. I can taste and smell the "horse hair/barnyard" aspects from the wild yeast. It tastes a lot like some really bad, infected homebrew I once made. I really like belgian beer, but guauze might be streatching it a little.

2.97/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured a extremely carbonated pour into a snifter. Huge white head with loads of carbonation bounding from the bottom of the glass. The overall look is very impressive. There are some spicy notes and clove from the nose followed by some sweet fruity esters. Slightly phenolic but very surprised by the tartness that followed. The nose and the taste do not compliment each other at all. This being my first sour I was shocked that anyone could appreciate this style. Clearly this is not for me. There was a funky almost putrid aftertaste that was only masked by the beers sour tartness at the beginning of each sip. I experienced a wet mop drenched in blended swamp moss that left me breathless. I will not be diving into this style ever again as I clearly dont have the palate to enjoy such flavor. God bless those of you that can.

2.98/5  rDev -24.4%

Rusted orange. Full foaming, wispy and creamy head. Aromatically vibrant, with horsey, fruit (lemon) and barnyard aromas. Typical lambic aromatics. Flavor is much more approachable, less acidic, less sour, sweeter and generally less flavorful than lambics from say 3F, Girardin, Cantillon, Hanssens. I haven’t been impressed by Frank Boon thusfar, to be honest.

2.99/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

Gueuze-a-palooza 10/8/11; poured into an E&J Cask & Cream glass

23-04-2030

Thanks Mike

A) Extremely hazy and cloudy; looks like pineapple juice, only darker. Pours just under one finger of foam and thins out over time. Swirling puffs it up.

S) Lots of cheese with mild ripples of damp oak. Dry earthiness with hints of basement and cobweb (though these take a backseat to the cheese). Light fruit tones.

T) Thin layers of pear and apple meander into a rather one dimensional damp oak note. Dusty funk. Pretty dry. Nippy but not tart or sour. Vapid mustiness on the finish.

M) Puffy, medium-light body. Abrasively fizzy fizzy carbonation.

D) Seems pretty average; nothing great going on, but it's hardly riddled with issues.

3.03/5  rDev -23.1%

Bottle says 20/01/2031, which suggests to me that it was bottled January 2011. Tasted 1 July 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours a golden orangey-yellow color. Very clear, with about 1 finger of white head, all big bubbles. Tons of carbonation visible in the glass.

Smell is a musty, yeasty aroma, with a little bit of sour and a light sweet kick. Better than the taste, but didn't wow me.

Taste has a touch of lemony sour, but a whole lot of bitter and straw-like flavors, without the complexity and sour I'm looking for. Finish is mildly bitter.

Mouthfeel is good. Light-bodied, plenty of carbonation.

An okay gueuze, but not my favorite. Generally dull, without much sour or depth, and dominated by the wrong flavors, IMO.

3.07/5  rDev -22.1%

375ml corked and caged 2010 bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: What a lovely opening - I just had to loosen the cork slightly, and then watch as it ever-so-slowly inched its out, on its way to the ceiling. I had the tulip ready to catch the slight overflow, and proceeded to fill it perfectly to the brim with bright orange beer and fine off-white foam. The voluminous head recedes incrementally, leaving patches of soapy lace all around. Beautiful Gueuze.

S: Dry, spicy, phenolic, medicinal, and barnyardy. A hint of ginger, and cheese. Grape must. Light urine. As it warms, a bit of lemony citric acid shows up. Interesting, but rather unpleasant - even for a style so famous for funkiness, this one just smells too bitter and off-putting. My wife's complaining, and she's a few feet away.

T: Exceedingly dry, with nothing much beyond a dull, bitter astringency. Yeah, there's acidity, but it's uninterestingly acetic, and lacking any real intensity of sourness. The dryness completely overwhelms the finish and aftertaste, filling my mouth with a biting, chalky minerality. Unpleasant.

M: Light, fresh-feeling body absolutely exploding with fine effervescence. A little over the top, even for a bubbly style, but I'm a fan.

D: Oops, I mean O: Interesting beer for my first "overall" score; I'm a big fan of the style, and generally swoon over its funkiest, sourest examples (Hanssens, Girardin, Cantillon); this one doesn't measure up to any of those, and is hands-down the worst Gueuze I've had so far. At least it wasn't too expensive, and it is improving somewhat as it warms. While the dry finish is a little much, it does remind me of a low-end (but authentic) Brut Champagne - no finesse, no subtlety, but plenty of power.
I won't be seeking this one out again, but I'm curious to see what the Mariage Parfait is like.

Cheers!

3.08/5  rDev -21.8%

Well after removing the cage on this bad boy i merely suggested to the cork it should come out. Well apparently it was in a hurry because it flew off nearly missing my face. Surprisingly the bottle didn't gush. Lucky for me since I was sitting in the living room nowhere near the sink.

A: Lightly cloudy golden orange hue. Two fingers of white head recede slowly leaving soapy lace.

S: Mild lactic sourness. Lemon zest and green apple skins. Funk is very mild for a gueuze. Some musty wet wood and that's about it.

T: The flavor is rather disappointing. It's all lactic sour and not much else. Not really any funk either.

M: Light body with plenty of carbonation.

O: This is by far the weakest gueuze I've had so far.

3.1/5  rDev -21.3%

375 mL bottle poured into an Allagash chalice. Best by 9/16/2030? I assume that's what that date means.

Appearance - Cloudy deep orange body with a three finger head of large bubbles more than foam. Slowly dies down to a pillow of foam. No lacing on the glass, but retention is good.

Smell - Funk and pepper predominantly. Slight tart aroma, but not overly acidic. Lemon aroma, but muted. A touch of oxidation about it.

Taste - Light tartness up front. A bit of the barnyard in the flavor. Lots of lemon citrus, but a hefty amount of sweetness comes through. Metallic finish that really ruins the whole experience.

Mouthfeel - Not as dry as I'd like. The metallic finish is the most predominant flavor, but some sweetness persists as well. Lower carbonation than I would expect.

Overall - Not an impressive gueuze. Bad gueuzes are vinegary, which this one at least isn't, but it's too tame in the good flavors and that metallic oxidation is a deal-breaker.

3.15/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Best before: 06.09.2030
Served in my Captain Lawrence tulip.

A mildly hazy golden orange color with apricot and straw hues. Shiny half finger head disappears quickly. Legs are thin and weak. No lace.
Smells mildly fruity-- pears mainly, but some tart green apple as well. Some oaky vinegar, but the nose doesn't really impress me.

The flavor is just as expected... There is a nice sourness, but I expect this beer to be MUCH better after a few years. This is quite clearly a young gueuze.
The Body is a bit thin and feels too bubbly.

Overall... This is officially what I deem only slightly above average for me. I do think this will improve with age-- but how many years would this need?

3.15/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

375 mL corked bottle poured into a tulip glass

Pours cloudy gold with a four-finger white head that retains well. The nose is straw, lemon, dank, earthy yeast funk, and candied sugar. The taste gives some straw and candied sugar up front before becoming a sour lemon bomb. It's like you're drinking a Warhead. The body is light and watery with high carbonation, and it finishes dry. Not interesting enough to warrant the price.

3.18/5  rDev -19.3%

Pours a light colored golden yellow with a huge fluffy head.

This one is funky as hell. Funk invading my nostrils from a few feet away. Up closer I pick up a bit of lemon zest, hay, and flowers. Dirty feet everywhere.

The flavor is a bit duller than the aroma would suggest. A strong dirt/earthiness aspect and some lemon zest and pear in the finish. A bit of peppery spice. Lots of yeast and an overall muddled flavor profile.

The body is light and carbonation is high and a bit stinging.

Overall I wouldn't put this gueuze anywhere near the better versions of this style, and would not recommend it to anyone. That isn't to say that it isn't a decent beer, because it is. Rating to style I would give this lower than a C for sure, but in the grand scheme of things I am bumping up the score.

3.23/5  rDev -18%

375 mL bottle poured into a snifter
This was a gusher, was quick to pour, didn't loss too much. Cork flew out as soon as the cage was untwisted...

A- Golden yellow, hazy, with a one finger white head.

S- Some barnyard funk, tart lemons, not as big and complex as other Gueuzes I have had.

T- Even less than the nose, light funk up front, slightly sour in the middle, very funky barnyard finish. Flavors really need to be cranked up.

M- Ton of carbonation, light body.

O- Drinkable and able to finish the bottle, but this is not even close to the same level as other Gueuzes I had. I like that it had some funk and was slightly sour, maybe would try again if I found a much older bottle.

3.24/5  rDev -17.8%

pours a hazy copper color with extra large white fluufy head and good lacing. head remains for a while. most extreme lively carbonation i've ever seen. boozey sour citrus smell. taste is the same very dry, sour, tart, and fizzy with some fruity hints. light body and long flavor duration. would be a fantastic brew if it had a bit more flavor, but it was pretty bland. worth a try for the mouthfeel alone.

3.24/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

First of this style that I have tired. Not the biggest fan. This is deffinently a 'different' beer. It was a pale straw color when poured and truned a bit more amber in the glass. Small white head to it. Could really hear the carbonation on this one with the pour. Smells, well, musty. Viniger, acidity, sour apple, funky. Tart fruits. Just, overall, funky. Taste follows; sour apple, funky, tartness with a dry finish and a taste that lingers. The carbonation makes this very active, bubbling up and splashing around in your mouth. Drinks well enough, but large swigs left me cringing with the sour hahaha
Overall, different, interesting, not my cup of tea. Might try a few others, but I wouldnt go out of my way to get it.

3.27/5  rDev -17%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet. As I was taking the cage off of the bottle, the cork shot out and hit the ceiling. It sounded like a gun shot, but none of the beer overflowed at all. One of the strangest things I've ever seen.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy yellow color with a orange hue. There is a two finger white head that leaves a layer throughout the pour.

Smell: Smells very sour and herbal. Quite a bit of barnyard type funk. Some vinegar and citrus aromas as well. Perhaps some funky cheese.

Taste: Kind of a let down after the smell. More sweet than sour. There is some funk, but more in the background. There is an herbal taste and a bit of vinegar. Bitter in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with mild, fluffy carbonation. The finish starts to be dry, but never really gets there.

Overall: Not a huge fan of this one. The smell is nice, but it doesn't really deliver from there. Probably going to skip over this again.

Boon Oude Geuze from Brouwerij Boon