Boon Oude Geuze - Brouwerij Boon

Boon Oude GeuzeBoon Oude Geuze

Brouwerij Boon visit their website

Gueuze |  6.50% ABV

6.5-7.0% abv

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 03-16-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boon Oude Geuze Alström Bros
1.2/5  rDev -69.5%

This beer pours a clear, bubbly yellow with a thick head. The aroma is of lemons with a hint of sour grapes and a yeast mustiness. The flavor is purely sour grapes and nothing else. It's mouthfeel is light and fizzy, champagne like. Boon Oude Geuze is a good example of the style, just not for me. Not recommended!

B967ierhunter177, Jun 24, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -55.5%

Smurf2055, Aug 08, 2013

jk3, Dec 19, 2011

Pours a slightly hazy golden color, topped witha couple of fingers of white head that immediately disappears. Lots of bubbles in there.
The aroma is soury, between new wine and cider.
The taste is quite sharp, soury and dry.
Don't really like it, sorry.

MarkoNm, Apr 20, 2014

Kerrie, Mar 31, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -42.7%

hotsudge, May 18, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -36.4%

Pours a beautiful pale ale like colour with great head and lacing. Smell is sour and funky. White wine vinegar and cider spring to mind.

The taste is very sour and acidic. There's a cat urine flavour in here. It is a very different beer drinking experience to most beers. Most beers, such as Porters, Stouts, Lagers, IPAs or Belgian strong ales have a certain shared "beer" like taste. This one doesn't. It tastes very strange and not entirely pleasant.

Overall, I didn't enjoy this at all. I know we should rate beers according to style but these review should also give people some warning that some styles can divide opinions strongly and be hard for even experienced beer fans to enjoy. Hence my terrible review for what may be a classic of this (weird) style.

Someone pass me an ice cold lager - any lager. Quick!!

50/100

LagerCognoscenti, Sep 15, 2014

Guitars_and_beer, Nov 25, 2013

kscaldef, Mar 24, 2013
2.6/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Got this at the Mitra down the road. Put it up against eight other gueuze as part of an educational evening of gueuze and football re-runs.

From a 37,5cl corked and caged bottle into a snifter
Vintage: 2009-2010
Best by 28 September 2031

APPEARANCE: Pours a 1+ finger, medium looking, fluffy white head with good retention. Clear gamboge orande with higher levels of carbonation evident. Head fades to a thick cap and remains in tact as the glass empties.

SMELL: Different than the standard gueuze. Probably due to the added sweetness. Some dark grapes and caramel notes, along some funky aromas, lactic acid, as well as notes of lemon and orange esters.

TASTE: Musty and mouldy up front, with light caramel and dark grape sweetness, as well as some lactic acid at the swallow. Tart lemon sourness with musty, funky dank notes linger on the palate. Old cheese and fungus as well. Quite musty and mouldy here, with a strange sweetness as well. An odd combination.

PALATE: Medium body with lower levels of carbonation. A little watery on the palate, but goes down fine and finishes slightly dry on the palate.

OVERALL: Not for me. This one is too musty and funky for my tastes, and the added sweetness doesn't seem to help the situation either. This one is everywhere around here, so it's a bit of a shame that I like their Mariage Parfait exponentially better. Win some and lose some I guess.

Jeffo, Dec 21, 2012
2.63/5  rDev -33.1%

A- Very pale, cloudy yellow with beautiful white frothy head.

S-Gross. Skunk, predominantly, and then the sour as a close second. Honey, barn and straw... that's about it.

T- Lemon, skunk, vinegar... on and on with sour, but much worse. Not as sour as it should be. Aftertaste of vomit.

M- Clean and smooth, slightly creamy.

D- Awful. I won't have it again.

khiasmus, Jun 07, 2007
2.7/5  rDev -31.3%

Andy shared this with me the other night. Review from notes. Poured this into a snifter. Pours a hazy golden color with a thing layer of bubbly white head and thin lacing. Smell is all tart, like granny smith apples. I really only get sourness from the nose, there isn't much else for me to smell because this is an overpowering aroma. The taste tart apples and a musty aftertaste. I felt like this was really over carbonated, it kind of exploded in my mouth. It took my a while to drink this, I like the sourness but it finished musty for me.

Bendurgin, Aug 18, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -30.5%

Shared by InebriatedJoker as a part of a gueuze tasting.

Appearance
Lemon yellow with a fairly substantial haze. There is a lot of droopy, sliding lace left from a wispy layer of white froth.

Aroma
The smell of this one stood out as being very different from the others. Its cheesy, very cheesy. Funky old soft cheese and old gym socks. Any sourness that might be suggested here is very lactic and vinegary.

Taste
Like the nose suggested, this one is much more lacticly sour than anything else. The end is pretty yeasty and phenolic with a bit of a tinny flavor. A big ol dab of funky cheese is there too.

Mouthfeel
For some reason this beer is a little numbing to the tongue. Carbonation is low, but I can't shake the few metallic and alcoholic flavors that peek out at the back end of this beer.

Overall
I'm not sure, but I think this bottle was a little young. It seems rough around the edges, phenolic and yeasty. I'm sure it could mature into something proper.

MbpBugeye, Oct 09, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -30%

Thanks to Bobby for this bottle, one of a few random beers he generously gave to me after we had our own mini tasting the other night. Best by: 26-02-2030.

Appearance: WAYYY over carbonated. Initial soft pour produced about a pinky-width worth of gold liquid with about 4 inches of pure white head. Doesnt take the head too long to recede but stays at about half an inch after a couple more pours. Darker gold color.

Smell: Not much too it. Yeah I catch the funkiness but not too much else going on. Some mild sweetness, sourness is light in the smell.

Taste: Smooth. Not sour, not funky, a little tart. Some fruit on the back of the palate, and a very off putting metallic flavor. Taste is not in the mouth for any length of time after the sip goes down, and tastes watery by the end. Bumped up the review aboput 30 mins later on the taste part as the taste gets better as it warms. A little fruitier.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation that was so apparent in the pour seems to have left by the time I take my sips. Minimal tingle. Thin, even for the style.

Overall: Not much going on with this beer. Not a big fan. Maybe a good way to enter funky beers for some, but not that good for me. Much more desirable beers in the style for me.

OddNotion, Apr 11, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -27.5%

12.7oz bottle, $6.99 in Dearborn. I swear I've had it before but I see I haven't reviewed it so I'm not sure.

The cork gives a good audible, a dangerous sign but there's no gushing. The aroma is fairly good, musty bret with some sweetness. It tastes not quite as good as it smells, sweet upfront with a weirdly bitter aftertaste. I've had some off bottles of 3F gueuze before, maybe that's the case here too. Hard to finish the bottle, I'll revisit with something fresher near the source soon.

TurdFurgison, Jan 12, 2012
2.85/5  rDev -27.5%

Poured a extremely carbonated pour into a snifter. Huge white head with loads of carbonation bounding from the bottom of the glass. The overall look is very impressive. There are some spicy notes and clove from the nose followed by some sweet fruity esters. Slightly phenolic but very surprised by the tartness that followed. The nose and the taste do not compliment each other at all. This being my first sour I was shocked that anyone could appreciate this style. Clearly this is not for me. There was a funky almost putrid aftertaste that was only masked by the beers sour tartness at the beginning of each sip. I experienced a wet mop drenched in blended swamp moss that left me breathless. I will not be diving into this style ever again as I clearly dont have the palate to enjoy such flavor. God bless those of you that can.

jmfc8237, May 20, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -26.7%

Bought as a corked 12oz bottle.
There is a lot of carbonation in this beer. The head started at 2 finger and grew to 3 as I write this first couple sentences. The head is quite thick adn an ivory color. The beer is a cloudy apricot. The smelly and taste are quite funky. This is the first Guauze I've had, so I don't have much of a baseline. I can taste and smell the "horse hair/barnyard" aspects from the wild yeast. It tastes a lot like some really bad, infected homebrew I once made. I really like belgian beer, but guauze might be streatching it a little.

beakerboy, Jan 23, 2007
2.93/5  rDev -25.4%

Rusted orange. Full foaming, wispy and creamy head. Aromatically vibrant, with horsey, fruit (lemon) and barnyard aromas. Typical lambic aromatics. Flavor is much more approachable, less acidic, less sour, sweeter and generally less flavorful than lambics from say 3F, Girardin, Cantillon, Hanssens. I haven’t been impressed by Frank Boon thusfar, to be honest.

Crosling, Mar 17, 2006
2.98/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

Gueuze-a-palooza 10/8/11; poured into an E&J Cask & Cream glass

23-04-2030

Thanks Mike

A) Extremely hazy and cloudy; looks like pineapple juice, only darker. Pours just under one finger of foam and thins out over time. Swirling puffs it up.

S) Lots of cheese with mild ripples of damp oak. Dry earthiness with hints of basement and cobweb (though these take a backseat to the cheese). Light fruit tones.

T) Thin layers of pear and apple meander into a rather one dimensional damp oak note. Dusty funk. Pretty dry. Nippy but not tart or sour. Vapid mustiness on the finish.

M) Puffy, medium-light body. Abrasively fizzy fizzy carbonation.

D) Seems pretty average; nothing great going on, but it's hardly riddled with issues.

Ryan011235, Sep 24, 2013
2.98/5  rDev -24.2%

Bottle says 20/01/2031, which suggests to me that it was bottled January 2011. Tasted 1 July 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours a golden orangey-yellow color. Very clear, with about 1 finger of white head, all big bubbles. Tons of carbonation visible in the glass.

Smell is a musty, yeasty aroma, with a little bit of sour and a light sweet kick. Better than the taste, but didn't wow me.

Taste has a touch of lemony sour, but a whole lot of bitter and straw-like flavors, without the complexity and sour I'm looking for. Finish is mildly bitter.

Mouthfeel is good. Light-bodied, plenty of carbonation.

An okay gueuze, but not my favorite. Generally dull, without much sour or depth, and dominated by the wrong flavors, IMO.

zeledonia, Aug 02, 2012