Boon Oude Geuze - Brouwerij Boon

Boon Oude GeuzeBoon Oude Geuze

Brouwerij Boon visit their website

Gueuze |  6.50% ABV

6.5-7.0% abv

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 03-16-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boon Oude Geuze Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

This bottle says 7%abv.

A- Twist the cork once and it shot into the air and drilled my ceiling. Very carbed. Nothing but head pours into the bottle. The head rocky white chunks. What begins to come up is a golden brew with champagne like bubbles. The carbonation dancing under the head is really quite incredible.

S- I havent put my nose to this but the air is so funky. When I do put my nose to it I get some apple skin, pear, hay, leather, and phenols. The usual suspects of the funky gueze.

T- The initial taste is fairly tart, and a little puckering. It transitions into apple skin and unripe pear. Next I pick up on some tannins from the barrel, and a small hint of funk but not a lot. Strangley there is a flavor of peel shrimp in this to me which is slightly off-putting.

M- Body is light with HIGH levels of carbonation. Very crisp with a dry finish. Pleasant to drink.

O- The secent, appearance and mouthfeel were good but the taste was a little off. It had the good aspects of geuze's but the shrimp taste I got kinda ruined it. The taste had some good to it, but another bottle or maybe some more time may have turned out better, but this happened to be for this particular review.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

3.63/5  rDev -7.6%

Cloudy golden sunshine in color. Sitting on top is a tall bright white head. carbonated, you betcha ya.
Funky aromatics with sour bottle lemon juice.
A dry tasting wine like beer. Lots of odd flavors aka funky bretts. Tart sour lemon taste with a dry bitter musty finish.
My first queze so I don't hnow what to expect or if this is even a good beer. Certainly going to need a few more from different breweries and a bit of homework to properly gage this style. As it is now, I don't really care for another one.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

2.85/5  rDev -27.5%

12.7oz bottle, $6.99 in Dearborn. I swear I've had it before but I see I haven't reviewed it so I'm not sure.

The cork gives a good audible, a dangerous sign but there's no gushing. The aroma is fairly good, musty bret with some sweetness. It tastes not quite as good as it smells, sweet upfront with a weirdly bitter aftertaste. I've had some off bottles of 3F gueuze before, maybe that's the case here too. Hard to finish the bottle, I'll revisit with something fresher near the source soon.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

I (we) had and excellent tasting session at Erik's place on the 11th of December 2011. Jeff and Erik organized it together. I am not a fan of sours but it doesn't keep me from trying. This beer was a test for something different though. I met PP from 'de Molen brewery' a couple of weeks ago and he said; if you would have seen me during the Borefest Beer Festival, you would have seen me with two glasses. One filled with an sour and one filled with some heavy brew. The sour is excellent to cleanses your palate for the next heavy beer, he said. So that's worth a try, and the Jeff&Erik beer tasting was a good occasion. You see/read the line up on my review of; the Brewery - Black Tuesday.

I got this bottle from my brother in law; Maarten, thanks man, but next time don't bring sours, haha.

A - An amber looking beer with a yellow-white head on top. Not bad to look at, certainly not, because there are also some carbonation bubbles racing through the fluid.

S - What do you expect? Sour of course - a fresh and sweet malty oder to be exact.

T - Again what to expect? A sweet sourness, not to bad though. For a sour is actually quite good and there is some flavor to be discovered as well. Definitely some citrus thats for sure.

M - A lot of carbonation (the advise from Michael was to open it outside, as we did. Not a bad advise by the way, as we were about to discover when we opened another sour inside :))

O - Certainly not bad for a sour! Did it work? I think after having a sour everything else tastes way better, haha. Maybe I am still not experienced enough. I'll keep trying now and than.

3.6/5  rDev -8.4%

Reviewing the <a href="http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/47/13159">Oude Gueze Boon</a> from Brouwerij Boon.
Score: 85

Appearance: Pours a translucent, hazy golden orange color with four-plus fingers of soapy head. Pretty solid lacing. 3/5

Smell: Sour fruit. Candied raspberries and a little candied cherry. Some lemon. Slightly skunky (it did come in a green bottle...). 3.5/5

Taste: Lemons. Raspberry warhead candy. A little sour cherry. 4/5

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, high carbonation. Crisp, slightly pungent, and sweet. A little puckering, but not nearly as much as some more intense sour-style beers. 3.75/5

Overall: A decent sour, but it's nothing special.

Recommendation: Why not just stick with the 3F Oude Gueze? Casual beer drinkers would enjoy this "non-beer" style. My girlfriend, who likes Cerise and ciders, would probably like this.

Pairings: An earthy, feta-walnut salad with a vinaigrette dressing.

Cost: $6.99 for a 12.7 oz bottle.

3.65/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Golden-straw in color, with average translucency and a very large white head that puts up a good effort to stay around (for a gueuze), eventually settling into a nice layer of foam that sticks a bit to the glass. Really good head retention for a gueuze.

S: Normal gueuze funkiness that's almost earthy and has a distinct honey-like sweetness to it.

T: First comes a somewhat tame tartness that comes across as pretty apple-like, followed by a noticeable sweetness more in the middle. Bitterness is practically non-existent, except for way in the back, and the acidity is moderate to low for the style. Ends on a pronounced mineral or maybe husky taste (maybe it's the wheat?), which is kind of unpleasant, and a mild dryness.

M: Medium-bodied with an appropriately busy yet uninspiring carbonation. Kind of sticky in a weird (i.e. not really good) way. A bit creamy.

O: Certainly drinkable, but certain things about it (huskiness, stickiness, etc.) are just too much for me. With its relatively low acidity and high sweetness, it could easily be an introductory gueuze, but I'd just be worried that if I gave this to a friend, they'd pick up on one of the bad aspects I noted and be forever turned off by the style. Try it if you'd like, but I wouldn't recommend spending good money on it.

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

Had at the Duvell Cafe near Gare du Nord in Paris. Corked and caged bottle marked from the 2007-2008 brewing season.

Pours a clear reddish, coppery gold with some giant soap bubble style head only after a forced pour, but the bubbles disappear pretty quickly leaving no lacing.

Mild nose, some sharp citrus but no hint of the tartness/funk that is to come.

Starts with a puckering, fruity tartness at first. Green apple and rhubarb. A little musty/cellar funk. Not as intense as I'd imagined for my first gueuze. I'd heard they were a pretty intense and unique funkiness, but this was surprisingly subtle. The sourness moves towards the back of the mouth as the beer warms and becomes a little more complex, a little less acidic. It's almost like spoiled milk, or bile, but in the best way possible. I've had much stranger tasting wild yeast beer so this is relatively tame.

The mouth is very prickly and dry from the sharp carbonation. Nice contrast to intense flavors.

Not sure how to compare this to others of the style, but as far as lambics/wild beers go it was relatively mediocre. Certainly some interesting yeast flavors going on, but other than that it was a sour apple cider. Good, but how good? I'll have to compare and update.

3.65/5  rDev -7.1%

2009-2010 bottle

Huge fluffy white head erupts on top of a hazy honey gold body. It subsides to a nice topping.

Lemon, white grape, bit of sweetness, with some grass and hay funkiness on the nose.

The taste opens with a nice tartness that subsides after a few seconds. Lots of initial lemon flavor. A more funky lingering in the aftertaste.

There is a rush of bubbles that whisk by scrubbing the tongue and washing the light bodied beer away quickly leaving the mouth a little dry.

Boon Oude Geuze from Brouwerij Boon