Boon Geuze - Brouwerij Boon

Boon GeuzeBoon Geuze

Brouwerij Boon visit their website

Gueuze |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boon Geuze Alström Bros
IchLiebeBier

Appearance: Cloudy; orangish; no head

Aroma: Sour; citrusy (mostly lemony); ginger

Taste: oaky; spritzy; very tart; dry finish; kind of like unsweetened orange soda on the end

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; so please disregard those scores

06-15-2013 02:24:19 | More by IchLiebeBier
santoslhalper

2.25/5  rDev -43%

Appearence: Pours an incredibly hazy copper with a HUGE mountainous off-white head.

Smell: The smell is a mix of champagne-like dryness with a strong sour flavor, as well as fruits and sugar.

Taste and Mouthfeel: I'm let down. The flavor is an incredibly watered down sour flavor. It's incredibly tart without having a base or root flavor. Nothing special, and far from being complex. The mouthfeel is decently full, and the aftertaste lingers nicely.

Drinkability and Overall: You want a garbage geueze? Here it is. Looks great, smells even better, but tastes just about as fake as a spontaneously fermented beer can get. Blah.... As my girlfriend put it, "Fuck this!" I agree, baby.

07-11-2005 01:00:39 | More by santoslhalper
Naerhu

Japan

2.25/5  rDev -43%

Head of white and orange body. Unsettling aroma of forgotten fruit left in a lunch bag for three days too long. Sour and earthy, like overripe french cheese. Zing-zap pow on the palate. I poured this for four of my friends, and we all poured it out. I cannot see the hops, unless that is was tastes like rotting leather (or what I imagine that might taste like). This is not as bad as I make it sound, but not much better. This is fabulously interesting, but anything but enjoyable.

07-08-2003 01:29:43 | More by Naerhu
pinotboy007

2.4/5  rDev -39.2%

Clearly, not the style I prefer. That said, if you've never tasted one, do it. I'm willing to try it again.

A - Very nice golden/orange with an impressive head and tons of carbonation.

S - Mild citric acid; warm fruit on the stove top.

T - Bitter apple; herbs that border on being medicinal.

M - Astringency tends to overwhelm but there's enough nuanced creaminess to make this complex, fizzy brew unusual.

D - Tried it with pan seared pheasant with a brandy and apple reduction. The carbonation detracted so we switched to wine. Oh, well.

10-27-2008 23:28:20 | More by pinotboy007
Bighuge

2.4/5  rDev -39.2%

This beer pours a slightly murky amber-orange color. Carbonation level seems high upon viewing. The head is white, deep, airy and fluffy. It sticks around too. Aroma is sour and tart. This beer is so tart and sour it is almost undrinkable. I can't imagine this is the taste they're after, but I've never had a gueuze before so I don't know for sure. The body of this beer is very light and the carbonation level isn't as high as it appears to be. Huge sour apple notes. Highly acidic. 3 times as tart as the Rodenbach Alexander I had a while ago. Maybe this is an acquired taste type of thing. Or maybe this one is stale. In any case I can say this isn't enjoyable.

I am a gueuze virgin no more.

10-28-2002 20:14:19 | More by Bighuge
Offa

2.5/5  rDev -36.7%

This is ok but seems rather thin, light, and bland to me, with little real taste beyond a light tart-sour character.

Pale amber and slightly hazy, it has a huge off-white head slowly shrinking to a permanent thin top but leaves no lace.

The aroma is slightly funky and fruity, yeasty with strong turned pears, hints of grain, metal, and cheddar cheese. It seems close to what I would expect and seems promising.

The taste, though, is quite thin and bland, kind of like very dry champagne (which I don't like and find rather flavourless). It has a fizzy, thin, dry feel as well. It's tart, even mouth puckeringly tart at first, with a light sourness and vinegary turned fruit. Otherwise, it has just a light yeasty-pear skin taste and only a hint of grain that lingers in the aftertaste. Beyond being just dry, tart, and sour, however, it has almost no character and all the rest is very light and it is very thin and bland.
It certainly has no complxity because it has almost no flavour profile at all. It's ok and I can see why someone who enjoys just having tartness or sourness might like it, but I get almost no funky yeasty character or anything else and I see no point in ever drinking anything that has so little taste. I might as well drink tap water.

05-27-2009 16:19:05 | More by Offa
smcolw

2.7/5  rDev -31.6%

Golden yellow in color, surprisingly clear. (Note: because of the head, I was only able to pour half of the bottle. When the rest was added, it was quite cloudy, as expected). Very impressive head, nice lace left on the glass.

Strong skunky sourness present; could this be an old bottle? Again, as I've said in previous evaluations, using green or clear bottles (particularly for imports) is foolish. If there is ever a beer that will sit on the counter for a long time, it will be a lambic!

The taste an improvement from the aroma, but this still appears to be past its prime. Strong citrus sourness is the predominant flavor. Much like a bitter sweettart, this is a strongly, lip-puckeringly sour lambic. I'm reminded of sucking on a lemon.

Personally, I strongly prefer the flavored lambics like cassis, framboise, or peche. There's so little sweetness here that I'm struggling to complete the tasting.

09-04-2005 17:47:30 | More by smcolw
bowersdm

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%

12.7mL bottle poured into my brand new sniftner. The bottle had a best by date of...April 25, 2027. that's craziness.

A - cloudy orange/amber color with 1.5cm of white head.

S - dead skunk, lactic acid.

T - dead skunk, lactic acid, complete with a mouth-puckering tartness, slight fruit flavor, maybe. there's not much going on here as the lactic acid is the most prominent flavor.

M - pretty carbonated, like champagne. normal consistency for gueze.

D - this is the second gueze I've ever had. I think that Cuvee Renee was much better. This one lacked a diverse flavor profile.

03-02-2009 02:38:01 | More by bowersdm
ybnorml

Rhode Island

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%

A slightly hazey dark orange colored ale with a big off white head and some lace. The aroma is sour fruit. Most predominate was a sour apple aroma. The taste is VERY sour and Very dry kind of oaky with a bitter apple peel after taste. I could not determine the Bottling year of my bottle. But I did note the the bottle claims 6.5% ABV.

11-16-2004 01:48:31 | More by ybnorml
Pahn

2.85/5  rDev -27.8%

12oz bottle into Duvel tulip. 22 05 2028 L8143 13:41:00 printed on the bottle. I'm assuming this means it was either bottled or put in oak barrels at 1:41pm on May 22nd of either 2010 or 2008, respectively, but I don't really know (care).

Appearance: Despite zero gushing when opening the bottle, this rather carbonated beer leaves a three inch fizzy and rocky just-offwhite head that dissipates steadily, leaving ephemeral, bubbly lacing webs. Pours a hazy orange and leaves occasional swoops of lacing along the glass. Looks really good.

Smell: Effervescent and sour. More barnyard than tang/cologne to this brett funk. While I remain unfamiliar with the smell of horse blanket, if "horse blanket" in beer means something like leather and horse sweat, this one's leaning on the side of sweat, with some dirt thrown in. I'm not finding that aspect pleasant, but there's also some really interesting mineral smells, some vague citrus, emerging cologne-like notes, and a general sourness that's really nice. Great balance to the aroma, despite venturing further in the barnyard than I wanted to go.

Taste: First impression: This is not very tart or sour, though there's some nice, reasonably deep, earthy funk. I think I need to warm it up a bit.

As the beer warms, the dirt from the nose emerges in the beer, along with a mild, unexpected bitterness. Too much barnyard, not enough tang. No sweetness at all, and barely any sourness or tartness. Finishes extremely dry.

Uninspired by this beer, I try some cheddar and crackers to maybe combat some of the assault, but the beer remains bitter and predominantly characterless. There's occasional good elements, but never do I get one really good sip; for example, late in the glass this really nice note of pear jumps out, but is then quickly eaten up by building bitterness and abrasive dryness. It's not terrible, but it's not good either.

Mouthfeel: The 3.5 I'm awarding here is basically a 4.0 for creaminess and nice, bright carbonation, along with a 2.0 for the uncomfortably dry finish and out of control astringency. Slightly lighter than medium bodied.

Drinkability: To be frank, I don't like this beer at all. I finished the bottle, but I didn't particularly want to.

Unless the bottles vary widely and are occasionally amazing, I see no reason to ever buy this when you can get better geuezes or other wild ales for comparable or lower prices. It really was a mess. The lack of sourness or tartness really highlighted the fact that the majority of what was happening in the taste was brett as dirt and surprising bitterness. The most boring wild ale I've ever had.

07-22-2010 04:55:13 | More by Pahn
ygtbsm94

11-15-2011 02:53:05 | More by ygtbsm94
Schade

01-13-2012 21:11:31 | More by Schade
BeerNinja007

New Hampshire

3.03/5  rDev -23.3%

Picked up a bottle of this at Green Mountain Boys on my way through Rutland VT last weekend. 12oz corked and caged bottle for $6.59, looks like it could've been sitting around for quite a while. Label is a little yellowed and it was the only one of its kind in the store. Code on the label is faded, but my best guess is 25,04,2027. Served cold in a white wine glass. Never had geuze before, so I'm really interested to give it a try. Here goes.

A: Twisting the cork out gives a healthy pop. Poured softly to avoid disturbing the thick sediment cake at the bottom of the bottle. Cloudy golden brew gives 1/2" of fizzy clear head that quickly vaporizes to nothing. A steady stream of small bubbles gives the surface a continuous low boil.

S: Tart and effervescent, definitely agree with the barnyard and sweaty horse blanket descriptions other reviewers have offered. It seriously reminds me of the urine-soaked shavings I've cleaned out of horse stalls.

After letting it air a bit, some of the barnyard funk fades and more of a tart rotten fruit aspect emerges.

T: Taste has some thin sour fruit aspects, but the main thing is something acrid that I can only describe as burnt hair. As if I'd stuck a lit match into my armpit. Or maybe like burnt popcorn husks. Some yeasty funk, barnyard, and crotch sweat. Seriously... if I ran a marathon and then wrung the sweat out of my underwear into a glass and then lit it on fire, this is what it would smell like.

M: Fizzy, watery, very dry. Finish is a bit of vinegar. Very belchy.

D: As horrible as all the descriptors I've used are, I can see how this could be an acquired taste. Not entirely unpleasant, I guess it isn't all THAT bad. Since this is my first geuze, I have no idea if this is a bad bottle or if it is indeed supposed to taste like this. *shrug* I'd try it again, preferably in the company of a geuze guru.

08-01-2010 04:47:59 | More by BeerNinja007
soulgrowl

United Kingdom (England)

3.1/5  rDev -21.5%

Appearance: Great big white head, initially the texture of meringue. It's fairly volatile so it breaks down quickly, but still retails excellently. Body is a peachy red-orange and slightly hazy.

Smell: This is my first gueuze, and so far, I am a little weirded out, but intrigued. It is extremely funky with a wide range of sour scents: apple cider vinegar, stale lemons, Pixy Stix, extremely underripe cherries, and sour cream. Light barnyard, glue, and fungal/blue cheesy tones (aged hops?) add to the bizarrity.

Taste: Hmm... pretty good. The sourness is multi-layered (as described in the aroma), but overall reminds me a bit of white grapefruit juice with a sprinkle of salt (saltydogs, anyone?). White wine notes are present as well. Finish is sharp, then clean like mineral water. Odd, but good. Quite refreshing, really.

Mouthfeel: Lively carbonation and only a slight sharpness. Matches the flavor well.

Drinkability: I'd be lying if I said I didn't find the sourness in this beer a little overpowering, so for me the drinkability score is less than average, even though it is fairly tasty and refreshing. I can only handle this in smaller volumes. A great beer to pair with fruit or brie (or both), though. I'd say, serve this at a brunch... hell, it would probably make a pretty awesome mimosa.

06-20-2006 07:41:32 | More by soulgrowl
TheDM

Indiana

3.1/5  rDev -21.5%

This brew pours a large head of fine to medium sized white bubbles and an transparent ligh amber brown body. It had a strong citrousy fruity aroma. The flavor was strong and bubbly with notes of citrus. It has a very tart initial mouthfeel that left my mouth feeling bubbly. There was a slight bite in the finish.

08-01-2003 22:10:49 | More by TheDM
VoodooBrew

South Carolina

3.13/5  rDev -20.8%

Geuze Boon sits in the glass a hazy light brown. The aroma... hmm... your typical funkiness, and... cheese? The flavor profile is marked by a mustiness, along with "horse" and those other barnyard descriptors. I know Boon is one of the more notable producers of authentic Lambics, but even the beer snob in me can't force an endorsement of this. I will say that this nothing in this beer is offensive, and it's just interesting enough to be above average.

03-20-2006 03:26:18 | More by VoodooBrew
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

3.15/5  rDev -20.3%

Bottle shared by mdfb79. Thanks Dan.

The beer appears hazy and rusty orange hued with a half inch of white head. The aroma is decent, with notes of hay, funk, oak. The flavor is earthy and oaky, and much sweeter than I expected. Not as delicate or smooth on the palate as I was hoping. Sharpness in the finish. Half the bottle remained the next day, which is a tell tale sign, since my house is like a gueuze vacuum. I'd be willing to try it again, hopeful of a different result.

11-13-2011 16:06:49 | More by Huhzubendah
hotstuff

Indiana

3.18/5  rDev -19.5%

When poured, this beer had a large sized ivory head with fine-small sized bubbles that mostly dissipated. The body was cloudy with carbonation observed and the hue was brown. The nose was fruity and sweet with a sweet flavor to it. The mouthfeel was smooth, thin, watery and light bodied. There was a fair amount of lacing with this beer.

10-28-2003 12:11:00 | More by hotstuff

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

01-22-2013 21:29:24 | More by Brew33
ClavisAurea

3.28/5  rDev -17%

Consumed in a tulip glass.

Appearance: hazy, cloudy, deep golden

Smell: cream, acid(may have been the particular bottle), yeast

Taste/Mouthfeel: yeast, milky, lactic acid, wheat, fair amount of hop, not sweet until it warmed up(then not that much), tart, made my mouth pucker

Drinkability: this was the first Gueuze I ever had and I was not very imperssed. I might buy another bottle later in life, but for now I'll stick with the fruit lambics.

07-11-2008 22:31:05 | More by ClavisAurea
drewmprs

3.33/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured into la chouffe belgian flute. Head faded fast with no brussels lace. Salty, tart bretty lambic barnyard funk. First sip tasted like a dry apple juice. Not as dry as champagne but had a dry aftertaste. No hops present and only a small malt backbone. A far tamer version than the marriage parfait.

01-01-2008 05:35:47 | More by drewmprs
lackenhauser

Maryland

3.33/5  rDev -15.7%

Pours a very nice, slightly darkened gold color. Huge head atop-get a spoon to go thru this one. Peppery and spicy aroma. Somewhat earthy and dirt like. Sour and very dry flavor. Sort of black pepper like. Hops? No way. Good body-a real pucker upper. A good beer but I dont see being able to consume a lot of this. Nice to try but just not my thing.

06-30-2005 00:31:34 | More by lackenhauser
ArrogantB

Colorado

3.35/5  rDev -15.2%

375ml bottle 6.5% abv best by date of 2/12/2025. Nice soft orange color with a super fluffy white head. It smells like dusty lemons, sour fruit, really nice. A little light on flavor, not too sour, kinda watery but bubbly at the same time. I wish the flavor was a strong as the aroma...

08-25-2008 01:43:54 | More by ArrogantB
anders36

Sweden

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%

This beer comes in a champange styles bottle and pours a large white head. A long lasting head. The taste is very sour and tastes of sour apples. It smells of sour apples too. This was the first geuze i have tried. I was sceptical at first, i thought it was to sour. But it is definitely a beer style i will try again.

01-05-2004 23:00:39 | More by anders36