Boon Oude Geuze Mariage Parfait - Brouwerij Boon

Brouwerij Boon visit their website

Gueuze |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-08-2002

1.65/5  rDev -59.9%

2007 vintage corked and caged bottle. Split with a friend. Looks good, clear and golden with good head and retention. Aroma is funk, sweat and metal with no softness at all. Tastes is simply horrible with very little tartness, lots of sewage and cheap vodka, and an off putting bitterness at the end. Ridden with metal and yuck. The aroma was inviting before I tasted it, and a few sips ruined the beers I drank before and after this one.

I am positive that something must have been wrong with my bottle because the beer in it was simply disgusting. Drainpour!

4.5, 2, 1, 3, 1 (579 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -38.4%

Pours a pale orange, minimal white head.

Strong smell ... kind of weird. A vinegariness and also a ... rotten odor? Not unripe, but rotten.

That carries through to the taste. Yeargh, this is pretty bad. I don't know what that rottenness is, but it overlays the funk and sour zest and is incredibly offputting.

Good mouthfeel on a bad beer. I feel so guilty recommending this to someone, I confused it with another brew. (422 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -37.2%

Pale yellowish, watery honey like pour with a small offwhite head. Smell is fruity and funky. Sharp bubbly mouthfeel that is a bit too carbonated actually. Taste is tart, acidic, and bland with no sweetness. Nothing appealing to me. Couldn't finish my sample size. (264 characters)

Big thanks to all involved in another great tasting! Jeremy, Frank and Kevin! 2001 Bottle with 9 years on it.

A-pours a clear light orange color with a thin white head.

S-the nose smells of scotch, lots of malty sweetness, residual sugars, caramel, carmelized prunes, and notes of booze.

T-single malt scotch up front, tons of burnt malty sugars, burnt caramel, carmelized plums, a bit of heat and booze, a little watery and papery in the back. probably past its prime.

M-rough on the edges, medium syrupy body with low carbonation and a harsh dry finish.

D-this is pretty poor, tons of burnt sugars and seems to have oxidized. lots of scotch and sherry notes, much like a harsh liquor. (691 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured to a champagne color with lots of carbonation bubbles, a thin whte head that dissipated very quickly amd no lacing. Nose was a pleasant tart fruit, and the initial taste was the same. Unfortunately, this sour fruit quickly faded to a taste that was more stale in nature, and the finish was dry and stale as well.
I may have just gotten an old bottle, but I was not nearly as impressed with this one as I have been other lambics. (435 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

375ml bottle, vintage 2007

A: Large head, recedes fairly quickly. Lots of trains of bubbles.

S: Lemon, clover, light funk

T: Rather hard to describe. Some orange and lemon flavors. Funky with an aggressively bitter note in the end. The highly effervescent mouthfeel seems to mask some flavor.

M: Very effervescent, perhaps a bit overly so as it dominates the experience. Otherwise, light bodied and very dry on the finish.

O: Unfortunately, this isn't living up to the promise of the aroma for me. It's a little more flavorful as it warms up and the carbonation dies down, but the bitter, metallic finish remains. Nowhere near the top of the gueuze world, IMO. (665 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -22.6%

1500th Review on BA
Bottle to tumbler
375ml c/c

Best by 10-09-2030

Purchased at Binny's Naperville for (I dont remember)

App- Was I mistaken I poured some apple juice. Besides the bubbles. Has the exact coloring pattern. Big yellows on the outside and small orange in middle. Super fast receding head. Zero cling.

Smell- A lot that adds up to  not alot. Big oaky notes permiate this beer. Has a lot of lemon and malts in the glass. Mixed in with herbal yeast and bitter.

Taste- Can a gueze be mixed with a Belgian Pale? Way all over on this one. Malty, lemon, dry, oaky and slick. Wtf is this? Just off.

Mouth- light/high lemon, malt, and oak. Slight slick again.

Drink- Wow, was very let down by this. Average gueuze at best. Hope my 04 750 ages a bit better till I open in 2 years for 10 year anny. (809 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -22.1%

Poured from a 375mL bottle into a cervoise glass. Vintage 2006. Best before 27 January 2030.

A: Hazy but clear. An amber colour reminiscent of cider. Lots of bubbles. A sparse head begins large, but fades fast.

S: Sour. Fermented apple. Dry white wine. Sweaty blankets. Complex; the whole is better than any of its constituent parties.

T: Tart. It tastes like spoilt/sour beer (I assume this is what it is supposed to taste like). Some dry fruitiness (apple?) with an odd acidity that reminds me of both citrus and seafood. The aftertaste is sparse, tart, and dry. This beer is not to my taste. I'm not quite sure how to score, because my opinion vacillates wildly over the course of even a sip. Over all, I don't like it.

M: No complaints on this end. Akin to a dry champagne in feel.

D: I can't drink much of this beer at all (had to share the bottle). Experiences like this are leading me to believe that gueze just isn't for me. I can't recommend it. (959 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -21.7%

Sampled at the Ostend Beer Festival 2004 in Oostende, Belgium.

Light straw.

Soft, mellow and traditional lambic funk. Notes of of lemon, radishes and horseblanket (cobwebs, snakeskin, blah, blah)

Very traditional and fruity but the lack of body and complexity effect the lambic in many ways. Still though, this is a traditional unsweetened lambic which says a lot and definately worth sampling. There are just so many better examples of the style. (456 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -21.4%

2007 Vintage

A - pours a straw / orangish yellow in color with a nice head that settles to form a nice 1/8 inch rim around the beer

S - nose is apples, funk, citrus - funk being the most dominant

T - starts off with some citric notes that are pushed aside by some mildew funkiness with a bit of grain. Some apple cider esque flavors come through at the end with a little bit more of the citric sour flavors.

M - medium bodied with some decent carbonation. Leaves heart burn, per the usual.

D - overall, I would say this is a very approachable gueuze for people new to the style. It isn't over sourly but has the classic flavors (citrus, funk, etc) that goes with the style. Not bad. (688 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -19.2%

2004 label date, best before 2028.

Loud POP from the cork, though thankfully no gushing. This pour at room temperature yields an orange/copper body and a good amount of fizzy head. Poor retention, however, as it quickly becomes a still liquid.

Very active body initially; that + the grape aromas present make me think I'm drinking champagne. Yeasty like a saison, yet dry and fruity at the same time.

Tons of carbonation. Mild tartness as grapes somehow take the reins. A touch sweet with a mildly bitter finish (from the yeast) in the back of my throat. If blindfolded, I'd swear this was a low-end champagne.

There's a reason these 750ml bottles are ~$12. I'd strongly prefer a 375ml Tilquin Gueuze instead of this every time. (732 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -18.5%

Appearance: Slightly hazed dark gold. Minimal, super wispy foam. Thin, almost non-existent collar. Moderate carbonation.

Smell: Oak, lemon, dusty yeast. Bright citric tartness. Pear. Some sweet pale malts. Almost crackery. Layers of funk and hay layered over grass. Apples and some sharp cheese. Ripe with cellar. Slightly musty. Touches of peach. Lemon zest and oil.

Taste: Heavy wood influence. Almost straight bitter edge. Mild citric edge laced with worn leather. Mild mealy fruit, as in pears and apricots. Mild pale malt sweetness. Earthy. Grass and hay with an underlying funk. Heavy oak. Powdery dry yeast. Basement and damp. Lacks some overall complexity and depth.

Mouthfeel: Light. High side of moderate carbonation. Dry and clean.

Overall: A damp, dry, musty gueuze. Lacks some of the sharper and more nuanced complexities I expect from the style. (867 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -17.8%

375ml bottle $9.49 at liquormax in Loveland. Hazy golden-orange color with a quite frothy white head. It smells like citrus and very briefly like manure. The taste is band-aid and rotting citrus fruit with mold. This wasn't a bad beer but it wasn't my cup of tea as far as gueuze goes. (285 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -17%

Tasted blindly in Blind BIF #7 as 1 of 5 gueuzes. Bottle was 2007, poured into snifter.

A: Golden, small head, fairly clear

S: Musk dominates, with some hay, wheat, and barnyard funk

T: A little bitter/hoppy, surprisingly mild sour, and wheat. Oaky.

M: Thin bodied and moderately carbed.

O: Decent gueuze. The strong musky odor is the biggest knock, and the funk is high in the flavor without enough tartness compared to your typical gueuze. Great beer, but fell short compared to the others in the lineup. (511 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -16.8%

750ml bottle (2003 Vintage) shared at an Austin BA tasting. Thanks SSW117!

Pours a golden, lemongrass body with a slight haze. Ring of spittle-colored bubbles clings to the edges, leaving scant lacing. The aroma is a Gueuze masterpiece - vanilla, vinegar, oak barrels, and a yeasty barnyard funk. Very nice nose.

The flavor tasted a bit past its prime, with a funky yeast body and a sour, metallic finish that has a vinous greenery to it. Someone at the tasting remarked that it reminded them of gunpowder. Uber-dry, acidic back with a light mouthfeel and lighter carbonation. Can't say I'd ever buy this for myself, but it was definitely an interesting beer to try. (668 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -15.6%

375 mL bottle poured into a tulip at Specialty Beer Cellar in Abacoa.

Appearance - Hazy orange. Pours with a decent white head, but doesn't last long. A few bits of foam persist on the surface.

Smell - Zesty lemon. Not too acidic, but it dominates the aroma. A little bit of feet. Grain and some pale malt. Not the funkiest, but I like it.

Taste - Lemon zest and hay flavors come out right up front. Then they drop off. It isn't all that sour. Grain gives way to a slight sweetness and a pale malt dullness that rounds it out.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation is fine, but the sourness just drops off, almost like someone tried to make a gueuze with a sugar addition. Kills all remaining flavors.

Overall - Nothing offensive going on here. Just doesn't deliver for me. Drops off in the back with too much malt/ (806 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -15.3%

*I did not like it would not buy again*

app: looks like a nice sparkiling wine.. good mis shaped belgium type head.. nice and clear. really yummy looking

smell: peppery spice not much fruit not that sweet. smells tart and dry. well.. maybe just a touch of sweetness.

taste: not that tart or sour. a touch bland and mild, a little bit of a pepper and bad out of balance lemon type finish.. not for me, I will shop in other farms.

mf: a bit un intresting. kinda lifeless, but not to bad.

drinkable?: yeah, it is.. I just dont care for the lemon finish that dominates.

I was looking foward to a high octane gueuze.. oh well.. (641 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

2004 vintage.
Served in tulips.

Where's the sourness?
This beer is fine and pleasant, but it's like a cheeseburger without bacon, an impreza without a turbo, a dancer with pasties, etc.

Burnt orange body with an eggshell head of two fingers. Decent retention and legs.
Smells of pears an apricots with some floral notes to boot.
Starts off rather sweet in my opinion, but finishes pretty dry. There is a little hint of tartness, but no sourness at all. It is sad. The funk has notes of hay and horse barn. Not bad, but again, where's the sourness?!

The body seems too full and a bit undercarbonated.

Overall, this isn't bad, but certainly not worth the price tag to me. I am more than happy to have more sour gueuzes with less fruit and funk, but that's just me. This is certainly not a bad beer, but not my favorite take on the style. (845 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -14.6%

2003 Vintage! On-tap at Beachwood BBQ, on to the beer:

Pale orange in color with no head on the pour. Perhaps the age has taken the wind out of the head. Fruity and tart in the nose, like the aroma of sweettarts. That's something I like. The beer tastes like it was made awhile back; it's very low in carbonation, the acidity is greatly faded, and overall the flavor is mellower. Perhaps I enjoy the pucker of a fresh gueuze greater than the mellowness of an aged one, but I had higher hopes for this 8 year old Mariage Parfait. (529 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -14.1%

Poured into a tulip it forms a fizzy white head that leaves behind some spider web lace.

This is a smooth version of a Geueze. I had this right after having the 1882 Girardin and this was way way way smoother. Thats not really a good thing in my book as I enjoy the tartness and sometimes funky backside to these lambic blends. This one tastes like 3 old lambics rather than 3 staggered (1,2,3 year old mix). Most folks at the tasting I was having enjoyed this version and didn't like the 1882. I was the one holdout to giving this all out praise. Its good, but you must know this is lacking the smacker reaction.

Notes: the champagne like carbonation was fizzy. Liked it. (679 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2004 vintage. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a snifter. Thanks to readbaron for bringing this bottle.

Appearance: The color of Mariage Parfait is a lightly hazy golden color with a copper tint. A small creamy white cap fades to a splotchy head after a few sips.

Smell: After the first whiff I mostly just take away that this is tart and lactic. With a bit more effort, soft funky notes almost border on fungal, there is a woody presence that smells like rotting oak, and some strong tannins as well.

Taste: The flavor starts with a moderate tartness. Some indistinguishable fruit flavors try to attach themselves to the sour flavor without success. A soft barnyard flavor completes the wild portion of the flavor. A fairly noticeable oaky tannic astringency comes in toward the end, which creates a fairly undesirable finish. Tart and astringent is tough on my palate, although neither was particularly strong.

Mouthfeel: The body on this is noticeably fuller than I have experienced in another gueuze. The carbonation is a little soft - it feels like it gives up before the glass is empty. Although there is a moderate tartness to the flavor, this does not have a strong acidic or vinegary feel at all.

Overall: After 7 years in the bottle and with 8% alcohol, I would have expected this to be blisteringly sour, but that was not the case. This was one of more mild gueuzes I have had. (1,394 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -13.9%

App- Hazy golden(almost straw like) color, nice head on it though.

Ar-Citrus notes, earthy undertones, bitter melon (weird I know)

T- Sour lemons and possibly sour Grapefruit, small amount of herbal notes. very earthy. yeast was def. present,funk was on the lower end of the "spectrum"

Mf-is decent, u can definitely feel the bubbles as well as a bit of tartness (366 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -13.6%

This is the first Gueze I've ever tried and I'm quite excited. This one is to toast my new job!

A: Poured from corked and caged bottle with best before date of 1/25/2026 (haha) a hazy gold color, completely opaque. Poured with a head about half an inch thick, that quickly reduced, to about an 1/8 of an inch, stayed the entire beer.

S: When I first popped the bottle open it smelled very skunky, couldn't tell if it was from the green bottle or if this is what its supposed to smell like. Second smell yields a very belgian yeasty smell, after a bit familiar lambic musty, fruity smells surface. Very complex.

T: Not as sour as I had hoped for, but still quite tart. Very dry, somewhat alcoholic as well. Very interesting, but almost overpowering dryness. Interesting hop finish as well. This is a very complex beer, tasty, but not quite as good as I had hoped for.

M: Very dry, nicely carbonated though, pretty smooth and easy in the mouth. Very tart though.

D: One is enough for me. This beer is interesting, and i wish i could get a fresher bottle to compare it, even though the expiration date is 16yrs in the future I think some light got to this one. Not a bad beer, but not one of my favorites. (1,211 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -13.4%

It poured a lemony yellow color, with a white foamy head fading to a thin lace. was a bit cloudy. earthy herbal and slight minty smell. taste was sourish and herbal. I was not very familiar with geuze style before this tasting. I thought it was pretty drinkable. I would have a second glass with some sharp salty cheese.

Thanks Phatz, for the sours. (353 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -12.7%

Bottle (2003)

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

Hazy yellow and golden with a nearly 2-finger white head. Spots and lines of lacing down the glass. Perfect for the style.

Musty, barnyard funk, earth, and some lemon aromas shine through and a mild though certainly presently sour tartness. Not quite as bright and sour as I really love in my gueuzes, but still very nice. No complaints.

Not nearly as sour as I would have expected or particularly enjoy in my favorites of the style. This has a lot of barnyard and musty funk, horse blanket and hay, grass, and sour apples. It comes together well, though I miss the stinging sour I was expecting!

Light to medium bodied, though full and dry. Very nice.

A decent and certainly a good gueuze. And I cannot say this definitively, because I wasn't lucky enough to have a fresh bottle, but I think this bottle has faded and would have been far better years ago. (917 characters)

Boon Oude Geuze Mariage Parfait from Brouwerij Boon