Boon Oude Geuze Mariage Parfait - Brouwerij Boon

Boon Oude Geuze Mariage ParfaitBoon Oude Geuze Mariage Parfait

pDev: 11%
Brouwerij Boon visit their website

Gueuze |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 08-08-2002)
4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from a 2001 vintage (this is before they started putting the year on the neck of the bottle, but it's stamped best before 01/25/2025 - Boon dates their geuzes 24 years from when they were bottled) 375ml corked & caged bottle into a Lindeman's lambic glass.

A: Hazy yellow resemblant of Golden Grapefruit juice. Retains a nice crystal white head with fizzy carbonation continually rising from the bottom of the glass.

S: The best feature of this beer. Horse blanket, funk, and a nice wild Belgian yeast. Some lemon and grapefruit rind also notable. A really fine smelling gueuze.

T: Funky, tart, but not all that sour. The acidity does not come through in this one as I would have expected - to me this is a good thing as I think it can age for much longer. Lemons make up most of the flavor.

M: A tad bit too much carbonation with a positively dry finish.

D: I had no problems at all finishing this bottle. Some may not like the tart/dry aspect to it.

Overall, a fine lambic from Boon that I can't wait to see develop a little bit more with age.

3.58/5  rDev -12.5%

12.7oz bottle, probably bought about 2 years ago. Pours a clear dark golden with a huge fizzy pillowy white head that retains well and leaves very little lacing.

The aroma is sweet fruits and acidic tartness with some stinky musty yeast.

The flavor is subdued - sweet fruits with a dry metallic note and some tart slight sourness. As it warms, the fruity tart sourness dominates. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with some sharp carbonation.

Overall, I liked this. It's a bit thin and subdued in the flavor but I like what's there.

Big thanks to all involved in another great tasting! Jeremy, Frank and Kevin! 2001 Bottle with 9 years on it.

A-pours a clear light orange color with a thin white head.

S-the nose smells of scotch, lots of malty sweetness, residual sugars, caramel, carmelized prunes, and notes of booze.

T-single malt scotch up front, tons of burnt malty sugars, burnt caramel, carmelized plums, a bit of heat and booze, a little watery and papery in the back. probably past its prime.

M-rough on the edges, medium syrupy body with low carbonation and a harsh dry finish.

D-this is pretty poor, tons of burnt sugars and seems to have oxidized. lots of scotch and sherry notes, much like a harsh liquor.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

A - 2004 Vintage poured into a wine glass with a 3cm white head that quickly falls away. A clear orange hued golden straw sits below.
S - Barnyahrd, earthy character with some subtle citrus notes.
T - Much like the smell but more fruit character is noticeable.
M - Light bodied, fairly high carbonation.
D - A subtle yet tasty beer. If you see it buy it. Buy lots. 8% ABV is hardly there.

3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

Bottle with Oglmcdgl and Dermopower. 04 vintage purchased at De cicco's in NY, wow, what a find. Review 750.

BOGMP has a pretty bold gold with some yellow looks up to the light. A stealthy healthy pour produced a little fizzy white head that left quick, no lace.

Getting alot of earth like qualities with some hay in scent and barnyard musk, kinda light. Smelling some moldy cheese between a small amount of malt backing the acidic nature of this Geuze. Some earthy hops that have faded almost completely.

Tart in taste but nothing mindblowing, slightly acidic as well with apples in the mix. Barnyard and hay and a mild sour funk in the outlay. A small bit of lemon in the finish. I think this is the highest ABV geuze i've had and that may have something to do with this tasting off to me.

Feel is spritzy but kinda lifeless overtime, a step above thin bodied with ample carb as per style. While it finishes dry the alcohol and slightly bigger body hinder this from reaching elite status.

A great geuze that I wish to find a fresh bottle to compare one day. I don't think I could do a bottle to the head, but this remains drinkable, though not memorable.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

04 vintage bottle split with good friends.

A- a finger or so of off white head from a slow pour. Golden yellow sunset in color.

S- tart lemons and musty oak. Wet hay and grass.

T- big oak and funk with sour lemon juice and orange peel. Tart and lactic with some old cheese.

M- a bit less then medium in body and a nice mid level carb. Good pucker and rather dry.

D- this is one tasty gueuze. Complex and deep but very drinkable. I love it.

4.13/5  rDev +1%

2004 vintage generously gifted to me by SpeedwayJim...thanks!

As I untwisted the cage the cork shot out like a bullet with the metal still on it....luckily I was prepared and stopped it before it could do damage.

Pours with an enormous head and a murky copper/yellow body.

The aroma is oak heavy with notes of lemon zest, gym socks, rotting apple, sunflower seeds, and vinegar. The dank mustiness here screams vintage.

The flavor is led off with rotting apple, with a heavy dose of oak lingering long after the finish. Some mixed nuts, vacuum filter, and Nintendo controller (c'mon, you know you've chewed on them after dying for the 50th time in World 7 of Mario 3). The plastic-y element and slightly too heavy oakiness are faults, while everything else is a welcome addition. Very flavorful overall.

The mouthfeel is good, but standard for a high quality gueuze. Drinkability is good but I don't think I would put this alongside the titans of the style. Overall this beer is extremely high quality and worth the purchase. Glad to have the opportunity to drink it!

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

A bottle from 2003 shared with friends on the 4th of July.

A: The pour is a hazy amber-orange color with a very short lived white head.

S: The nose is quite lactic, with notes of lemon and sour green apple. The oak is powerful as well, and a bit damp, musty, and funky.

T: Lots of oak, moreso than is present in the nose. Very dry and only mildly sour. The sourness is once again in the form of lemon and green apples. The funk is pronounced and is a bit grassy, musty, and barnyard nature.

M: Medium in body with a fair amount of effervescence. Despite not being all that sour, the finish brings on a bit of salivation and is quite dry.

D: This one may not yet have reached its prime, or may yet to be there. A good gueuze, but not the best on I've had.

A 2005 vintage. Pours cloudy orange, with not much carbonation. Aromas of strawberry, pineapple, and apple juice. Flavors of orange with a nice sourness and slight astringency -- the astringency reminds me of their regular old gueuze, but it isn't as detracting. Overall, way better than their normal oude gueuze.

4.68/5  rDev +14.4%

Le Cheval Blanc were doing 40z pours of the Mariage Parfait for $4. I gave T a 20 and asked him to grab me one. He came back with $6 change and a whole bottle...

2005 vintage.

Pours a deep and cloudy gold with a small white head that dropped to the finest of collars. Typical appearance for the style. Fantastic dry white wine nose, with a barrel-load of funk (literally). So much funk in one sniff its amazing, and as a lover of this I have to give it the maximum 5. Huge musty barnyard flavours - horseblanket, hay, cider, leather - its all there, complimenting nice dry white flavours and pleasant lemon notes. Sour, yet still very, very drinkable, and with a great quenching body.

I loved this. Its my kind of beer and I could drink it all day long. I had no idea it was 8%, as it hides the alcohol so well in an intensely funky and intense gueuze experience.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

500ml bottle at Poechenellekelder in Brussels, 2nd visit

coaster notes

appearance: served in the traditional lambic basket with boon glassware, pour reveals lively carbonation and a straw-yellow body with a full white foam

smell: funky - sour apple and lemon, bright oak aromas, earthy hay

taste: a nice gueuze - probably my 2nd favorite behind the cantillon tap on the trip - this beer was at a very nice funk level with lots of woody, earthy flavors. Sourness levels were nice, expressing lemon, apple, and oak.

mouthfeel: tart, tongue bending, a nice one

drinkability: good

Bottle shared by Lee - much obliged!

Pours a slightly hazy golden-copper color with a thin white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of light funk, tart green apples, and wheat.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Wheat and light malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by tart green apple flavors with hints of sweeter pear, the former not as intense as the nose intimated. Midway through the sip it turns mildly grassy with good amounts of funk. The ending is crisp.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass without any problems and could easily have a few more.

Overall I thought this was a very crisp and not overly tart beer for the style - one of the few that I could sip on. While it's nothing special it's worth a shot.

2003 vintage courtesy of RomanW70. Pours a hazy, orange-gold with a quarter inch head that quickly dissipates into a soapy skim. Nose reveals grapefruit, cork and vinegar. Taste follows nose, with a hint of oak in the mix. Mouthfeel was light and sparkling without being overly effervescent. A palate cleansing and easy drinking gueuze.

4.13/5  rDev +1%

This beer pours a gold to orange in color, kinda unexpected for a geuze. Puffy white head, no lacing. Aroma citrus, lemon, grassy, white our cider vinegry scent, and sour apple, real nice. Wheaty flavor, sour acetic acid, sour apple, lemon flavor. Light hop bite towards the end. Nice bubbly and lively mouthfeel that makes your jowels jump up and say hey! I find a geuze to be a really sessionable style so I could put this stuff back for hours thats all that needs to be said. Good body, carb n very tasty.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

A friend of mine picked this up in New York. 2004 Vintage.

A: poured a bright yellow without much at all in the way of haze or sediment. The head started out at about two fingers, eventually falling down to some lace around the edge of the brew.

S: loads of funky barnyard, horse blanket, hay, you name it. As unappetizing as it was for everyone to say, there were hints of ammonia reminiscent of things I'd rather not consume, but still rather pleasant indeed.

T: nice and musty. I could almost imagine myself lounging in the hay loft of a barn quaffing this one back all summer long. The Brett really did a fantastic job on this one. Also present was a little bit of oak.

M: nice and dry. Not much of a sour character, but that's perfect on this gueuze, as there's so much going on that I can't adequately describe it. The 8.0% abv is not at all present.

D: quite smooth and the complexity definitely kept me coming back for more. Stand up job from Boon; can't believe this was my first beer from them.

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Clear golden-pear color with a frothy, white head. Carbonation appears to be in check but still has a little respect for itself. Tart nose, with lots of woody notes, acidity, and funky cheese. Not as wild as many gueuzes, but it's out there.
Light body and dry finish make this an easy one for sipping. Mostly soft citric notes initially (grapefruit, lemon) melting into a fuller-bodied experience as it warms: oak, vanillin, green apple.
Easy to drink for a gueuze: vinegar is in check, and everything is fruity and enticing. Much better than my other Boon experiences. If this one is sitting around your local liquor store, might as well grab one.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

$11.99 for the caged/corked green bomber, best before 5-16-28! Pours cloudy medium tangarine amber, under a larger, puffy head slowly receeding and morhping to loose meraingue, medium tan in color. Leaves some large blobs of lacing. Cirtus, horse blanket, and must in the subtle nose. Moderatly tart gueuze, more lemon/lime notes, mustyness, barnyard and sour beer goodness, Zesty, palate clearing and efreshing brew. If you dont like this type of beer, you have not drunk enough of it...complex, tasty and thoroughly enjoyable. Seek out and enjoy

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

2003 vintage. best before 1-2-27 - good thing I got to it when when I did... on bottle menu @ Churchill's in San Marcos, at $23 a little pricey, but what the heck. poured with minimal carbonation and no head into a duvel goblet. golden, a little cloudy. nose is a little musty, apricots and vinegar. taste is a bit tart, but not substantially so. pretty easy drinking. a touch of brett, maybe some granny smith apples. not exceedingly dry on the finish. a lingering bitterness. pleasant. nice mouth feel, a bit thin. glad I bought it. if I saw it on draft I'd try it again just to see how it differs.

3.98/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

375mL bottle, corked and caged, difficult to read the best-by date, but it looks like Jan 25, 2020. This bottle was $8.79 at City Beverage, purchased 2 months ago.

The beer is clear, pale yellow color, with floaters and a thin white foam. The aroma of apples and funky wild yeast. Not as sour or tart as I'd hoped, in fact only a little pucker at the end of each sip. Mostly this is just a crisp tasty thirst quencher. No noticeable sweetness in this gueuze, but again not overly sour, more bitter than sour. Light carbonation and body, very drinkable except for the lingering bitterness.

This wasn't quite what I had in mind when I opened the bottle but the people at Boon know gueuze a lot better than me.

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

The last Geuze I tried was the standard version of this one. It was the third time I'd tried it and the first time I'd enjoyed it.. Thoroughly.. Bought two of these today: 1 to keep, 1 to try now. Best before September 2028....

Mini Champagne style bottle 37.5cl, poured into a Champagne flute.

Small head with sparse bubbles that subside quickly as expected. Darker than the standard Oude Boon Geuze from memory. Light amber with some pale highlights. Apple juice cloudy with not a lot of visible carbonation for the style.

I realy dont think I have the vocabulary for the smell. Big citrus: lemon and grapefruit. Leather, corriander, Mountain dew and a hint of grain. As it warms there is actually some wet hops.. Complex. Exciting.

Taste: Grapefruit, some brettanomyces horse blanket and a pleasant lingering tang - lemon zest. A hint of capsicum reminiscent of a dry Sauvignon Blanc.. I like the straw and earth flavours of the yeast, it's savoury and adds balance to the sweet and tart. A light bitterness (hops?!?!?!?) at the back. And 8%?? I can't find it. A touch lacking in the malt dept: both body and flavour.

Feels lighter than expected. Some tingling bubbles across my tongue. Reasonable carbonation. Perhaps lacking in body but only slightly.

Well I think I'm a G(u)euze convert. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Can't wait till I turn 50 to try the other one I bought!

I know these can go a long time, but it seemed like as good a day as any to open it. I don't feel like waiting until the "best by" date of 2027 printed on the label....I'm not waiting until I'n 52 to open this. 2003 vintage.

A - Poured into a goblet. Gold, mostly clear, with a slight haze. Some foam, more of a soft looking foam. It doesn't look as fizzy as some lambics.

S - I get sweet apples, white grapes, ripe cherry, and fresh plastic in the aroma. Doesn't smell all that funky or "barreled," in fact it smells fairly fresh. Good, but I was expecting a much more buggy, sweaty aroma.

T - Hmmm. This beer is not all that sour. In fact, there's just a little pucker, which I find odd for an oude gueuze. It comes off as a light, less fizzy Champagne - slightly sweet muscat grapes and apple. Like a ripe Granny Smith apple. OK, there's a little cellar/Grandma's attic character, but it comes mostly at the back end and aftertaste. I wouldn't call this beer sweet, but it isn't completely dried out as I would expect an old lambic to be. Something else I find odd...hops. I ordinarily don't talk about hops when reviewing a lambic, but I swear there's a little grassy hop bitterness here. Just a touch - it adds a bit of welcome complexity.

I will admit, I was a little apprehensive about this one knowing that it is 8% ABV, as it seems high to me for this style. This isn't a style in which I want to taste much alcohol. However, alcohol barely shows on the palate here, if at all. I would never have guessed 8%.

F - It's actually in the feel where you can kinda tell this is an 8% beer. It's not spritzy and fizzy like a 5-6% lambic, it feels more substantive, and the carbonation is softer.

D - This is easy for me to drink. It's actually too easy; I was expecting more of a challenge. While a tasty gueuze, I think I prefer the regular Boon or Oud Beersel versions. Of course, that preference in no way precludes a good rating, as it *is* supremely easy to drink, especially given its alcohol level. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent beer, one that I would be happy to drink again - it's just that I was expecting an overall 4.5-5.0 beer.

4.13/5  rDev +1%

375ml corked and caged bottle (2002 vintage) received as an extra in a trade with koopa. Thanks! Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a darker than expected orangey amber color with a huge three fingers of fluffy off white head. Good staying power, leaves nice lacing on the glass as it slowley recedes. Good looking beer.

S - Good and funky, tons of sweet fruity aromas - including bananas, lemons, oranges, sour apples. Barnyardy horseblanket funk mixes nicely with the tart fruit. Just a touch of vinegar in the nose too. Everything blends together nicely and smells really quite good.

T - Based on the smell, expected it to be more sour than it is. Definitely sour, but flavor is dominated more by the brett character. Lots of funky horseblanket, barnyardy flavors. A touch on the bitter side, not in a hoppy way - more in a medicinal way (not in a bad way though). Good fruitiness throughout to match the aromas. Very good.

M - Thin in body, almost water like in consistency. Highly carbonated - lots of prickly bubbles in the mouth, very lively beer.

D - Very good geuze overall. A touch harsh on the bitter side, if I have to pick a fault(?), at least to my tastes. This only mildly detracts from the drinkability though. Glad to get to try this. I see more bottles of this one in my future.

3.68/5  rDev -10%

Appearance - pours an orange-tinted gold into a Duvel glass. A little splashy towards the end of the first glass pour, a nice two finger cover is the result. A soft white with a tinge of yellow, it doesn't leave lace as the head falls but maintains a wall-like collar.

Aroma - sharp apples and funk. Despite my non-affinity for this style, my mouth waters instinctively. Lemony tartness and a dry, powdery grain accentuates things.

Taste - the initial grain sweetness plays well with the tart apple and lemon components. The funk comes in mid-palete but is very manageable as the beer dries out the mouth. An easy transition to the oaky dry ending. This beer drinks like a wine except for the moderate sour aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - very bubbly, the body is fairly solid for it's champagne like feel.

Drinkability - the hardcore gueuze fans ding it for it's lack of intensity on the sour scale, but that makes it all the more appealing to us sweet-DNA types. I like this one and can only guess what another decade will do to it. A great one to share, lots of flavor for everyone!

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Your typical geuze smell: citrus, musty, autumn forest floor.
Taste is less impressive than what the smell seemed to promise, a bit tart, some sourness (apple?), hint of bitter, but all very low-key.
Nice carbonation, light, very drinkable.
All in all, worth repeating.

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

A traditional bottle-conditioned gueuze, spontaneously fermented, and a step above the regular Boon gueuze, which is most likely sweetened and not conditioned. Cloudy golden with little head. Aroma of barnyard mustiness. Citrus flavors with moderate sourness and a dry, bitter finish. Ages well.

Boon Oude Geuze Mariage Parfait from Brouwerij Boon