Leffe Brune / Brown - Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Leffe Brune / BrownLeffe Brune / Brown

Abbaye de Leffe S.A. visit their website

Belgian Dark Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-25-2001

to view more.
Ratings: 1,540 | Reviews: 490
4.12/5  rDev +9%

lovely refreshing beer. Similar to Leffe blonde but more of a crisp and earthy taste rather than smooth and sweet. The colour is like cola and the head stays for a while.

4.22/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From tap, so always better

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%

Not bad not good. Like the blonde better.

4.3/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This brew pours a brown/black color but shows wine red highlights when held up to the light. It is 50% opaque and there is strong carbonation that does not diminish as you drink it. Pours with a 2.5 finger head which lasts with both a collar and strong lacing.

The smell is earthy and musty, dank and oak like. Lots of sweet malt and some roasted malt.

The taste mostly follows the nose with sweet and roasted malts leading the charge. This is followed by a musty, earthy taste then what tastes like wheat and yeast finishing off with enough hops to prevent it from being too sweet. The finish is very smooth; there is no aftertaste at all.

Overall this is one sweet, smooth drinking beer. I believe you could call it "sessionable".

4.17/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a lovely dark brown with ruby highlights and a tan, long-lasting head that leaves sheets of lace.
Nice aroma full of caramel, fruit and spice.
Great tasting beer. Plenty of delicious malt flavors -- toffee, caramel, cracker as well as a slight tart note beneath and a very nice, bittering finish. A little bit of peppery spice in ther as well.
Medium mouthfeel with nice carbonation.
Overall, a really good beer.

4.4/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 33cl bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- A great smell of malt with maybe some spice tossed in.
Appearance. Pours dark brown with an off-white colored head.
Taste- Has a great sweet malt flavor that builds with each sip.
Palate- this is a full bodied beer with moderate carbonation.
Overall- An outstanding beer, I would drink this again and again.

3.32/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The best qualities of this brew that stand out are the mouthfeel and the look.
The look is deep caramel but not cloudy. I love the mouthfeel for this style, it is crisp not overcarbonated and fairly smooth. However I thought it was a tad sweet, I was expecting some sweetness from the caramel malts, but the balance between the bitter and sweet was rough. At first sip sweet hickory was blasted onto the middle of my palate, followed with a bitter chocolate towards the back of the palate. Overall a good brew, not one that I would buy again.

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Belgian brune simple beer . without more

There is just one problem with this beer - the bottle is too small :D

4.76/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Best Belgian dark ale around

3.36/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Decent brown ale, as you would expect from this iconic brewery. Not in the same class as Chimay Blue however

4.75/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of the best beers I've had.

4.18/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

this is an amazing brown ale creamy smooth wonderful

4.53/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

While on business travel in Luxembourg, the Leffe Brown was a welcome companion. It's nutty, full flavor, comfortable brown invitation, and smooth full taste made dinners something to remember. All beer experiences are colored by the when and where we drink them. This was a perfect storm of circumstance and beer. Delicious!

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

US, Saigon

I like this beer and will look forward to my next drink.

Drank it straight from the bottle. Carmel tasting beer and very medium body.

3.85/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured into a 16 oz tulip glass. A dark brown with a ruby hint around the edges and thru light. A nice two finger rocky creme colored head with excellent retention (still there after 15 minutes of drinking). Very clear and bright. Excellent all around lacing.

Aroma is mostly malt, with a very small hint of pepper, no discernable hops.

Taste is definitely on the rich, sweet malt side, my first beer of this type. Some caramel and a little spice, but no hops. Some might be put off by this, but I enjoy it very much.

Mouthfeel is medium to full, with a slight alcohol warmth, but nothing over the top. The carbonation is perfect.

Overall, I would enjoy this beer again and again. I tend to enjoy sweeter, maltier beers, and this is definitely a style I will like again. It also seems to hold up well in the bottle.

3.92/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance (4.25) : The first thing I notice is the towering head. It's very creamy, stands about four fingers tall (that's over half the glass for me) and recedes very slowly. It leaves it's fingerprint behind with lacing that fogs the glass and webs around in intricate, starchy patterns. The head begins to look like soap foam after a short while. The body is coffee brown with a signature cranberry red tint when held to the light. The opacity is roughly 70% which is good for the style. It's a strong looking beer, and the head really proves that the Belgian yeast is active and alive inside the bottle.

Aroma (4) : A bit on the weak side but a hefty sniff gives way to spiced black jelly bean, hot leather, medicated mint balm, and a few peppermint coffee notes. It's a very "foreign" smell. I like it.

Taste (3.75) : Light bodied and easy drinking. Oat bread notes hit first, then caramel, molasses, and a yeast flavor, finishing with some slight hop and honey malt. Swishing in the mouth yields strong holiday anise candy. It's unmistakeable. It's almost like what I would expect a dessert or sweet course to taste like in Belgium. There's just this foreign baked goods/candy thing about it. A baked bread dessert. Maybe bread pudding?

Mouthfeel (3.5) : It is light bodied, lightly carbonated, and ends candy-like (as if you sucked on a piece of candy).

Overall (3.92) : It is a nice Belgian beer and has a very festive quality to it. I just get this picture of a Belgian speaking housewife making desserts for her husband's friends. Is that weird? I dunno. Try it for yourself.

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours as expected with a nice frothy enduring head that sculpts and laces the glass.
The nose strkes me as a bucolic countryside yeast with hints of hops and some floral undertones.

The flavor has somewhat of a lightness or maybe transparency to it but the yeast flavor that I noted in the nose comes through along with hops bitterness and caramel.

Over all this is a rather meager stanced beer. It is not particularly robust but then again I don't expect that from a Belgian Ale.

It is by all means a satisfying beer and I have enjoyed it. I expect to acquire more but there are others that I'd reach for-- it's just not that memorable.

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

Accompanies sushi quite nicely.

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

A - Poured into a Leffe goblet. Dark reddish brown. Pours a large cream head with good retention but not much lacing.

S - Not a strong nose but dark sugar and toffee detectable.

T- Sweet malt with some alcoholic warmth, giving way to a strong sweetness of chocolate, toffee and dark sugar.

M- Thick, almost creamy, with slight carbonation on tongue, smooth finish.

O - Enjoyable Dubbel with pleasant sweetness but slightly imbalanced without enough bitterness.

Review based on the BJCP2008 guidelines (style 18B). Bottle 33 cl - Batch 49 11:37. AROMA: low sweet malt aroma with faint notes of caramel. no hop aromas. some spicy alcohol aromas are present. APPEARANCE: dark amber color and translucent. reddish depth. large ivory head with average retention. some lacing is present. TASTE: notes similar to aromas. dilluted sweet malt background flavour. low bitterness. finishes semi-sweet. PALATE: medium-low body with average carbonation. OVERALL: a mild (aroma and flavour wise), belgian dubbel that lacks more malt derived complexity. a bit on the watery side.

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

I gave this beer a 2.5 because I'm not yet familiar enough with the style. I would have given it an even lower score if I had more to compare it to, and if it didn't have such phenomenal lacing on the glass.

For me, I couldn't get past the sickening sweetness. This beer reminds me of a Polish baltic porter called Black Boss, which reminds me of that "Sugar In The Raw" natural cane sugar you put in coffee. The sugary profile masked near everything else for me and I actually poured most of this one down the drain. This is my 187th beer and the only other drain pour on my watch was Miller Fortune. Maybe I'm just getting pickier.

Anyway, if you like ultra sweet beers then go for it, but if you like a brew with balance then this one's not for you. No hop balance here. No bitterness to bring the sweetness down to earth, and that, for me, made it a chore to drink. Not questioning it's quality of ingredients, but the flavor is definitely polarizing.

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

You know, the one thing you have to give to Leffe is that their beers have tremendous, impressive heads with enviable retention. Why can't every beer I drink look like this in the glass?

But I wish I were smelling and tasting something else.

This beer is sweet, ever so slightly roasted with a very hidden smokiness, almost of hickory. Not bad by themselves, but the whole is less than the sum of the parts. The sweetness becomes too much, and there's not enough bitterness to accent it. Flavor-wise, there's not much else going on and the mouthfeel is a little on the watery side.

Belgian dark ale? Maybe. It's made in Belgium and it's dark. It's a vague style, to be sure, but to me this beer is flirting with being a big imperial stout, but at the same time is coming close to a black lager. This is not a bad thing in and of itself, but the lack of balance, the high sweetness, and the lack of depth make me shake my head no rather than nod my head yes.

Nah. Get something else.

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

Smells boozy with lots of plums and figs

Tastes follow the nose heavier on the fruits than the scent suggests

Mouthfeel medium body with very little carbonation

Over better than leffe blonde for sure. Pretty good beer

to view more.
Leffe Brune / Brown from Abbaye de Leffe S.A.