Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Leffe Brune / Brown - Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Leffe Brune / BrownLeffe Brune / Brown

Abbaye de Leffe S.A. visit their website

Belgian Dark Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-25-2001

Reviews: 488 | Hads: 1,626

If I could rate it a 10 I would. This is my favorite beer of all and could find it until recently. The store I was buying at in NC told me the US importer quit bringing to the states. Would love to hear differently from someone.

Appearance: Dark brown body with hints of deep red. Beige frothy persistent head, started at about 3 fingers and stayed for half of my very long sitting. The other half of the time it was about 1 finger with excellent lacing the whole time. This beer has a lively carbonation.

Sent: Carmel malts

Taste: Carmel malts with a hint of roasted nuts and dark chocolate. Rather sweet, but not overpowering since the finish was slightly bitter. The bittersweet aftertaste lingers.

Mouth feel: Rich yet smooth, medium body.

Overall impression: My favorite beer so far by leaps and bounds. It tastes just as great, if not better, at room temperature as it does when chilled.

Tasted on: 09/14/12

4.88/5  rDev +28.4%

A - dark body with well formed head that remained for as long as I had the beer in my glass

S - caramel and fruity

T - the sugar mellowed out the whole taste and made it surprisingly easy to drink

M - Very smooth

D - easy to drink (I had three)

all in all, a very lovely beer. I wish I could find it more in the US

4.84/5  rDev +27.4%

A - At first glance, it looks like your typical average beer. Nothing special about its appearance, dark colour, almost pitch black. Pours with little head (or head if intended). Will regain some head if swirled. Very good carbonation.

S - To put it simple, this beer is awsome. It is my absolute favourite. Various smells will overtake you and leave your nose tingling.

T - The taste is something to talk about. The domiment tastes would have to be caramal malts and sweet fruits of various types. This beer will not disappoint. A very malty taste with a bit of bitterness to it.

M - Wow. Excellent carbonation and leaves a great taste in your mouth. This beer is a little heavy and leaves you a lot to think about after a swallow.

D - Not recommended for chugging because this beer must be treated with respect. This beer is excellent and I recommend both on-tap and bottle serving. I enjoy this beer on the cold side, but I believe if drank at a warmer temperature, the aromas will be overwhelming. My favourite beer to date and I would gladly have another one.

4.83/5  rDev +27.1%

Like another reviewer, Leffe has become my "go to" beer and the Brune is my beer of choice. There's nothing about this beer that I don't like, other than seeing an empty six pack. The Brune seems to be a bit harder to find but is definitely worth the chase!

4.77/5  rDev +25.5%

12 oz tap pour in a Leffe Stemmed glass at The Firkin in Libertyville. $5.80

A - Dark brown with red highlights and a small tan head leaving some lacing. Good retention.

S - Brown roasted malts with a sweet smell and a yeasty, Belgium characteristic.

T - Rich maltiness with no noticeable hop characteristics. A yeasty, dark fruity subtleness to it. Incredibly delicious.

M - Very smooth yet well carbonated. Malty but not overly ruch. Medium in body.

D - The Leffe Brune is super easy drinking. It's both delicious and smooth. I could have one after another. Another Belgian beer I love!

4.75/5  rDev +25%

My favourite beer. Dark and richly flavored Bock. A bit heavy, but less than most dark beers. Goes great with heavy food such as stake or Lasagne. Taste is where it really gets you, no real better word, but than this is closest - It's nutty. and nutty is a great and rich way. Also it goes down like a Guiness - Smooth and easy so your mouth won't sting and it would just wash your mouth so you can go back to your stake.

4.73/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle with a “best before” date of 27/4/13, into a Leffe goblet

Appearance: poured a dark brown with reddish/mahogany highlights as light passed through the beer. After poured, the beer was capped with a thin whitish head that dissipated into a small lacing of bubbles crowing the beer.

Aroma: strong aromas of dark bread and roasted malt, with a faint hint of smoke and spice. Cloves, maybe?

Taste: According to the label, the beer presents a sweet caramel yet bitter taste. I get the sweet caramel, and a lot of malt, but I don’t get any bitterness. First taste, as the beer is cold, is very malty. A lot of dark bread, and toffee, with a nice sweet and slight alcohol finish. As the beer warms up to almost room temperature, (which is how I prefer all my Belgian beers) I get dried stone fruit, like prunes or raisons.

Mouthfeel: For a dark beer, there’s a nice effervescence, making the beer crisp and refreshing. It’s a great beer for both winter and summer.

Overall: I love Belgian brown ales, and while not being the best Belgian brown ale out there, Leffe brune is my absolutely favorite Belgian brown ale. Hell, it’s probably my favorite beer period. I can (and have) drink this all night.

4.72/5  rDev +24.2%

I had this beer on tap in a pub in Montreal, I was extremely pleasantly suprised, as I had not heard of the beer before, and simply chose it on a whim. A rich, deep brown color with some hints of deep red. Excellent smell, with some slight fruity scents. The beer felt great in my mouth and went down extremely easily. I had this beer along side a beef dish, and it was an excellent compliment. An outstanding beer, although one that would likely be difficult to drink in large quantities.

4.7/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was malt-tastic! A very sweet, malty brown ale... didn't really come across as sour to me. Dark brown in color with a medium-sized head. A very drinkable beer, but I found it so sweet and delicious that I was able to force myself to take very small sips and make it last. I'm tempted to say there were hints of raisins in this guy, but I really don't know. My taste buds simply said "goooood."

4.7/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Saturday, February 16, 2008 -

Had this on-tap at Cloverleaf Tavern in Caldwell, NJ... from what I hear, this is the only bar in the state that has Leffe Brune on-tap... never seen the bottled-form anywhere, except for, of course, the blonde, so I was eager to try this one... Amazing, frothy and bubbly head dominated the Leffe serving glass with an extremely dark-brown, prune-colored hue... smell was very typical for the style, with dehydrated fruits, figs, and caramel nuances... taste was sublime, thick, rich, and satisfying without being overbearing... great mocha and caramel taste led to a strong presence of brown sugars and malts... a nice mouthfeel with easy drinkability at a modest 6.5% ABV... Definitely recommended...

4.65/5  rDev +22.4%

Saw this one on a tap handle at Monk's and thought it was Blonde. Was very pleasently surprise when it poured to a dark amber-brown and was brought over by my server in a frothy Leffe mug.

Small head, as to be exspected with this kind of brew, the nose and apperance both well above average with the rich malt hues giving this a sort of Newcastle+russet color. Taste was unlike any beer I've had previously, being somewhat of a novice... A VERY sweet, nutty flavor. Some raison notes. Recomended to anyone who likes the artisinal or nut brow styles as it is sure to please. A treat.

4.55/5  rDev +19.7%

A - Dark brown, much like Coca-Cola. Cream colored head with some lacing.

S - Dark fruits (plums, etc) with hints of chocolate, coffee, and some floral notes from the hops.

T - Fantastic overall. Chocolate and coffee are the main flavors, with hints of fruit, caramel, and florals from the hops.

M - Medium carbonation, but very smooth. Great mouthfeel.

D - Very easy to drink even at 6.5%.

I'm relatively new to the beer drinking world, but when I first tasted this beer I thought, "that's what a beer should taste like." This is one of my favorite beers.

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

While on business travel in Luxembourg, the Leffe Brown was a welcome companion. It's nutty, full flavor, comfortable brown invitation, and smooth full taste made dinners something to remember. All beer experiences are colored by the when and where we drink them. This was a perfect storm of circumstance and beer. Delicious!

4.51/5  rDev +18.7%

On-tap poured into a snifter

A - Mostly dark, opaque with some light amber tints, one finger head that disappeared quickly, minimal lacing

S - Very complex scent, similar to a lighter Weize beer, some floral scent, yeasty, with malt but very little hops; great smell

T - Delicious, deep taste, some malt and spiciness; yeasty with fairly little dominating taste; one that keeps you thinking; lingering aftertaste

M - Solid; good carbonation, medium bodied

D - A great beer; I'm not a huge weize beer fan, but this takes that flavor and then adds some great malty complexity; definitely one I could drink a lot

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Leffe Brune has a medium, beige head, lots of thin lacing, and a clear, reddish-brown, highly bubbly appearance. The aroma is of spicy, yeasty cinnamon, chocolate powder, sweet bread, and fruit. Taste is of monkey bread, cinnamon, confectionery sugar, caramel, chocolate, dark malt, and a decent hop bitterness present to balance out the beer. Mouthfeel is mostly medium, and Leffe Brune finishes mostly dry, soft, and quite drinkable. Just a super beer!

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Deep dark dark brown color with a thick brown head. Thick lace on the glass (leffe goblet).. and it is very lasting. Spicy nose with hints of hops. Complex flavor of chocolate, yeast, nuts(hazel), and spice. Wonderful smooth mouth. Slides through and coats the palate. Aftertaste is quite tart with hints of fruit (prune). Very drinkable for the abv and as a brown. A great tap beer to start a meal. As it warms in the goblet, it becomes even more silky smooth.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

The best brew of the triumvirate of the Leffes. Pours a dark brown caramel tone with a thick head that fades eventually, it being white. The smell, a blend of malts, wheats, fruityness even, is exceptional and inviting, guiding you straight into a complex, slightly sweet and extremely satisfying taste. This is a beer to keep in store, definetly.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

A-dark brown with a thin tan head

S-comes in with good dark belgian sugars and bubble gum, strong scent

T-great taste of dark roasted malts. roasted sugars and bubble gum. its a quality taste with a matching after-taste

M-creamy medium carbonation with a good dry finish

O-a great and easy drinking dark belgian. i could have a lot of this.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Pours a brown colour topped a tanned head that settles down rather easily. How could u not love this beer? Sweet fruity taste and aroma. Goes down quite easily and ABV is just fine so as to drink and not get drunk (Not more than 15 bottles though heh). One of the best dark Ales i've had so far. Abbaye de Leffe has done it again. Great brew!!!

4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

A- Dark Brown, Caramel, almost black. Good head retention.

S- Malty, roasted, toasted, sweet, Chocolate, nutty, caramel, yeast and a hint of spice.

T- Sweet, bittersweet chocolate, roasted/toasted almonds.

M- Creamy, Chewy, good carbonation.

D- I would definitely have another.

4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

Probably my favorite, all around ale. Had it first on tap in France where it's very popular , at Burp Castle in NYC and last night at Eli Cannon's in Middletown, CT. I've never had it in the bottle.
Looks OK, nice very dark brown...light tan head...disappears fairly quickly.
Smells of malt and vanilla..some spice..clove maybe....really nice.
Tastes great....well balanced sugar; not too sweet, vanilla, plums, clove, yeast...just a hint of alcohol....nice slightly dry, very clove finish. This reminds me very much of Aventinus Weizenboch....but dialed back a bit.
Carbonation about medium. This is very drinkable, with a meal or just sipping...not a heavy mouthfeel...more on the light side of medium.
I tasted some other great ales along with this that night, but just kept thinking that , for me, this is the perfect ale.

4.46/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Once again, another great offering from Leffe.

A - Dark brown, almost Coca Cola like. Wonderful head that laces nicely.

S - Once again with Leffe, the nose isn't as stellar as others have made it out to be, but the brown definitely noses better than the blonde.

T - Of roasted malts with a lingering bitter aftertaste that is synonymous with dark beer, but the leffe is silky smooth.

M - Smooth and silky mouthfeel.

D - As with other leffe offerings a very rich and rewarding beer. More drinkable than the blonde in my opinion, probably because of the less sweeter taste.

Overall a lovely beer.

4.45/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured into a balloon glass.

A nice foamy mocha colored head patiently sits on top of a dark mahogany body. Foamy lines of lacing stick to the glass.

Aromas of chocolate, sweet fruits, figs, and malt blend well together.

The tongue is dazzled with the same notes as the aroma. Very sweet and malty up front with dashes if cherries, pears, and figs.

The beer goes down smooth and the 6.5% ABV is relatively hidden.

Overall, one of the better Belgian dark ales I've had.

4.45/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is one of my favorite beers that I have found in my European travels. It is very hard to find in the US however, I just got some here in the US and it was again fantastic. Bottle has an expiration of 2013 on it so it is very fresh. I love the dark color, and the smell of this beer. It is an excellent representation of the best of the Abbey style beers and one that I always enjoy drinking.

Leffe Brune / Brown from Abbaye de Leffe S.A.