Leffe Brune / Brown - Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Leffe Brune / BrownLeffe Brune / Brown

Abbaye de Leffe S.A. visit their website

Belgian Dark Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-25-2001)

Bromine, Mar 16, 2013

chippo33, Mar 13, 2013
1.25/5  rDev -66.9%

kevinm2342, May 12, 2014
1.3/5  rDev -65.6%

I never heard of Leffe until I was at a party and one of my good friends was drinking it. Traded away a Gritty McDuff's pale ale for one and boy did I regret it. Smelt it and it smelled very bitter for a beer, especially a Belgian one. Poured nicely with a cream white head, which gave it some potential. I tasted it and my first reaction was to check the bottle if it was expired. It was very bitter and sour... possibly too much hops. Had another sip and left it in the sink. If you were to try, it would take a while to drink another one after the first.

dcoux09, Dec 20, 2008
1.5/5  rDev -60.3%

cjac, Mar 18, 2012
1.6/5  rDev -57.7%

This might be the oddest beer i've ever tasted. It caught my eye while passing through the supermarket and I had high hopes.

The good thing I can say about Leffe Brune/Brown is that it ours well and gives you a nice thick head atop your beer.

Leffe Brown had a caramel/malt smell but not in an appealing way. I found myself shying away from smelling it again. As for the taste it's like a sweet caramel brown ale but it just failed. I couldn't even finish it, and that's really saying something. I got maybe a quarter through it and said it taste too bad for me to want to finish. I'm stuck with five left so maybe the second time around I'll enjoy it more but this beer was awful.

DenzelShawnG, May 21, 2014
1.98/5  rDev -47.6%

I've tasted this ale more than 40 times in different places and on various occasions, not to count consuming bottled Leffe at home. Must admit that I gradually developed strong dislike for this particular Dark.

It looks good, yeah - very dark brown with proper head, lace and everything. It smells wonderful - roasted malts, black fruit, yeasts and dry herbs. But it's the taste that disappoints me: always too sweet, too heavy, free of any sophistication, with a sticky mouthfeel and unpleasant finish.

This ale, packed with sugar, maybe a good restorative for those who remained unconscious for a long time. Conscious drinker must have something else.

ernie, Jul 01, 2006

estevaom, Apr 09, 2012

2neardead, May 09, 2012

Jsimansk, Jul 10, 2012
2.08/5  rDev -45%

Leffe Blonde is a pleasant and complex beer but this is nothing of the sort.

Appearance: promising. Pours with a thick head and robust, brown body. Lacing is excellent. Makes you want to drink the beer.

Smell: fruity with a dry, wine-like aroma. However, the smell is the calm before the nasty, bitter storm.

Taste is awful. A thick and musty wine flavour with hints of fruit. There is no "sweet caramel" to speak of (as the label suggests). The dry, bitter finish and high carbonation accentuate an unpleasant aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: also terrible. The head on this beer is too thick and carbonated and therefore tough to get through. The aftertaste is painfully dry. This beer can best be described as bitter and bloated.

Drinkability: the review says it all.

cratez, Jun 20, 2006

lelepat, Aug 05, 2014

JLapadura, Jul 13, 2012

rudy0908, Nov 24, 2012

AugustusRex, Apr 14, 2014
2.3/5  rDev -39.2%

Once again with Leffe. I have never tried this brown so I was hoping it was better than the blond. NOPE. Poured at 40 degrees, beer was very pretty I must admit with a giant head. Mahogany color mmmI thought. But as soon as I smelled it I knew it was that same sour beer we hate. Don't understand it either My wife spent a year in Holland and loved this beer on tap. When she got back here to Va. we started buying it and first sip she took was yuk! And we have tried several times hoping it was just a bad or old beer. I don't know maybe the export product is not the same as the beer overseas. Don't matter I will never again waste money to try it anymore unless we find it on tap.

Minkybut, Dec 13, 2013
2.35/5  rDev -37.8%

mattfancett, Aug 30, 2014
Leffe Brune / Brown from Abbaye de Leffe S.A.