Join our email list →

Leffe Brune / Brown - Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Leffe Brune / BrownLeffe Brune / Brown

Abbaye de Leffe S.A.
Belgium | website

Belgian Dark Ale | 6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-25-2001

Reviews: 495 | Hads: 1,684
4.53/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

While on business travel in Luxembourg, the Leffe Brown was a welcome companion. It's nutty, full flavor, comfortable brown invitation, and smooth full taste made dinners something to remember. All beer experiences are colored by the when and where we drink them. This was a perfect storm of circumstance and beer. Delicious!

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured into a 16 oz tulip glass. A dark brown with a ruby hint around the edges and thru light. A nice two finger rocky creme colored head with excellent retention (still there after 15 minutes of drinking). Very clear and bright. Excellent all around lacing.

Aroma is mostly malt, with a very small hint of pepper, no discernable hops.

Taste is definitely on the rich, sweet malt side, my first beer of this type. Some caramel and a little spice, but no hops. Some might be put off by this, but I enjoy it very much.

Mouthfeel is medium to full, with a slight alcohol warmth, but nothing over the top. The carbonation is perfect.

Overall, I would enjoy this beer again and again. I tend to enjoy sweeter, maltier beers, and this is definitely a style I will like again. It also seems to hold up well in the bottle.

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance (4.25) : The first thing I notice is the towering head. It's very creamy, stands about four fingers tall (that's over half the glass for me) and recedes very slowly. It leaves it's fingerprint behind with lacing that fogs the glass and webs around in intricate, starchy patterns. The head begins to look like soap foam after a short while. The body is coffee brown with a signature cranberry red tint when held to the light. The opacity is roughly 70% which is good for the style. It's a strong looking beer, and the head really proves that the Belgian yeast is active and alive inside the bottle.

Aroma (4) : A bit on the weak side but a hefty sniff gives way to spiced black jelly bean, hot leather, medicated mint balm, and a few peppermint coffee notes. It's a very "foreign" smell. I like it.

Taste (3.75) : Light bodied and easy drinking. Oat bread notes hit first, then caramel, molasses, and a yeast flavor, finishing with some slight hop and honey malt. Swishing in the mouth yields strong holiday anise candy. It's unmistakeable. It's almost like what I would expect a dessert or sweet course to taste like in Belgium. There's just this foreign baked goods/candy thing about it. A baked bread dessert. Maybe bread pudding?

Mouthfeel (3.5) : It is light bodied, lightly carbonated, and ends candy-like (as if you sucked on a piece of candy).

Overall (3.92) : It is a nice Belgian beer and has a very festive quality to it. I just get this picture of a Belgian speaking housewife making desserts for her husband's friends. Is that weird? I dunno. Try it for yourself.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours as expected with a nice frothy enduring head that sculpts and laces the glass.
The nose strkes me as a bucolic countryside yeast with hints of hops and some floral undertones.

The flavor has somewhat of a lightness or maybe transparency to it but the yeast flavor that I noted in the nose comes through along with hops bitterness and caramel.

Over all this is a rather meager stanced beer. It is not particularly robust but then again I don't expect that from a Belgian Ale.

It is by all means a satisfying beer and I have enjoyed it. I expect to acquire more but there are others that I'd reach for-- it's just not that memorable.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

A - Poured into a Leffe goblet. Dark reddish brown. Pours a large cream head with good retention but not much lacing.

S - Not a strong nose but dark sugar and toffee detectable.

T- Sweet malt with some alcoholic warmth, giving way to a strong sweetness of chocolate, toffee and dark sugar.

M- Thick, almost creamy, with slight carbonation on tongue, smooth finish.

O - Enjoyable Dubbel with pleasant sweetness but slightly imbalanced without enough bitterness.

Review based on the BJCP2008 guidelines (style 18B). Bottle 33 cl - Batch 49 11:37. AROMA: low sweet malt aroma with faint notes of caramel. no hop aromas. some spicy alcohol aromas are present. APPEARANCE: dark amber color and translucent. reddish depth. large ivory head with average retention. some lacing is present. TASTE: notes similar to aromas. dilluted sweet malt background flavour. low bitterness. finishes semi-sweet. PALATE: medium-low body with average carbonation. OVERALL: a mild (aroma and flavour wise), belgian dubbel that lacks more malt derived complexity. a bit on the watery side.

2.5/5  rDev -34.2%

I gave this beer a 2.5 because I'm not yet familiar enough with the style. I would have given it an even lower score if I had more to compare it to, and if it didn't have such phenomenal lacing on the glass.

For me, I couldn't get past the sickening sweetness. This beer reminds me of a Polish baltic porter called Black Boss, which reminds me of that "Sugar In The Raw" natural cane sugar you put in coffee. The sugary profile masked near everything else for me and I actually poured most of this one down the drain. This is my 187th beer and the only other drain pour on my watch was Miller Fortune. Maybe I'm just getting pickier.

Anyway, if you like ultra sweet beers then go for it, but if you like a brew with balance then this one's not for you. No hop balance here. No bitterness to bring the sweetness down to earth, and that, for me, made it a chore to drink. Not questioning it's quality of ingredients, but the flavor is definitely polarizing.

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

You know, the one thing you have to give to Leffe is that their beers have tremendous, impressive heads with enviable retention. Why can't every beer I drink look like this in the glass?

But I wish I were smelling and tasting something else.

This beer is sweet, ever so slightly roasted with a very hidden smokiness, almost of hickory. Not bad by themselves, but the whole is less than the sum of the parts. The sweetness becomes too much, and there's not enough bitterness to accent it. Flavor-wise, there's not much else going on and the mouthfeel is a little on the watery side.

Belgian dark ale? Maybe. It's made in Belgium and it's dark. It's a vague style, to be sure, but to me this beer is flirting with being a big imperial stout, but at the same time is coming close to a black lager. This is not a bad thing in and of itself, but the lack of balance, the high sweetness, and the lack of depth make me shake my head no rather than nod my head yes.

Nah. Get something else.

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

Smells boozy with lots of plums and figs

Tastes follow the nose heavier on the fruits than the scent suggests

Mouthfeel medium body with very little carbonation

Over better than leffe blonde for sure. Pretty good beer

4.23/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The look of this beer is dark and brown on the light. 2 fingers of head. Light carbonation
The smell is about that chocolate, coffee and some raisin. Very, very nice.
The taste of it. Wonderful, full of chocolate coffee roast. You don't really feel that 6,5 ABV. Easy to drink. Refreshing and as a dark ale it's really nice. The taste stay on you tongue for a while and it's really light. Very different from a Guinness or a Rickard's Dark. This Leffe Brune is much much better. Even better than the Leffe Blonde.
So overall would I recommend it ? Totally YES. Very nice beer, that you can drink it during summer and during winter. It's refreshing, it's tasty. And if you find it on special, go for it, you won t be disappointed.

3.8/5  rDev 0%

Appearance – Almost black in colour with a smaller head than the blonde which again died off quickly but left enough to have a better lacing in the glass. When I held it to the light it was as dark as UK builders’ tea (before they add the milk.)

Smell – On opening the bottle the smell of alcohol was immediate. The smell of plum and fig along with bready hops smells come though also quite well.

Taste – My expectations were reasonably high for this one. The taste was very, very smooth, nowhere nearly as sweet as regular Leffe which was always a bit sickly for my taste. The after taste is mild but does linger for a while on the back of the tongue. This is a fine abbey beer with a tiny hint of coco and dark toffee. There is also something ‘smokey’ about this one like a porter with toasted grains.

Mouthfeel – Despite a small head this still feels full in the mouth and leaves a good stickiness it has a warming boozy feel

Overall – Easy to drink, I would highly recommend this beer to anyone it has a rich and complex flavour and leaves a lovely taste in the mouth. This beer is a great example of its type and a fine ambassador for Belgium.

330 ml bottle into tulip glass, best before 3/28/2015. Pours fairly crystal clear reddish brown color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Dense soapy lacing clings around the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of raisin, plum, fig, banana, clove, chocolate, toast, brown sugar, brown bread, light nuttiness, herbal, and yeast/toasted earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance and complexity of dark/bready malt and fruity/spicy yeast notes; with solid strength. Taste of raisin, plum, fig, banana, clove, chocolate, toast, brown sugar, brown bread, light nuttiness, herbal, and yeast/toasted earthiness. Fair amount of earthy yeast spice on the finish; with lingering notes of raisin, plum, fig, banana, clove, chocolate, toast, brown sugar, brown bread, light nuttiness, and yeast/toasted earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Damn nice robustness and complexity of fruity/spicy yeast and dark/bready malt flavors; with a great malt/yeast balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth, crisp, and lightly creamy/bready mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice dubbel style. All around great balance and complexity of fruity/spicy yeast and dark/bready malt flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours out to a generous beige head and brown color. Aroma is funky Belgian all the way: bubblegum, clove, sugars, aged hops, mixed fruit. Flavor is right along with the smell: fruity, estery, sort of roasty, molasses and dusty hops. Mouthfeel is sugary and medium. Overall a classic Bruin. Very satisfying.

AROMA 8/10 APPEARANCE 4/5 TASTE 8/10 PALATE 5/5 OVERALL 18/20

3.64/5  rDev -4.2%

SERVICE: Bottle

A:
Explosively pours a clear ruddy brown with a three-inch cap of tan head that slowly lowers to between a fat film and a finger or so. Very good retention; lots of sticky lacing. (4.25)

S:
Dark bread and coffee. Sweet and bitter, over ripe dark fruit up front with toasted nut and coffee notes. (3.75)

T:
Sweet, clean, and nutty. Dark bread, toasted nuts, a hint of coffee and some cherry. (3.5)

M:
Thinnish, light-medium body, lots of carbonation pretty velevety. (3.5)

O:
Decent beer, wholly inoffensive as far as similar beers in the style go.
Pours nice and has a pretty good aroma on it. It smells nice and nutty and tastes similar. Basically, this is an okay beer all-in-all but it could be improved with a 'amping up' of everything about it.
Drinkable, good intro beer for people just getting into Belgians (less likely to scare away than some hahaha).
Would have again if it was on as good of a sale as there was today; were one to be curious about trying this beer, it would be advised to do likewise.... (3.75)

4.45/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured into a balloon glass.

A nice foamy mocha colored head patiently sits on top of a dark mahogany body. Foamy lines of lacing stick to the glass.

Aromas of chocolate, sweet fruits, figs, and malt blend well together.

The tongue is dazzled with the same notes as the aroma. Very sweet and malty up front with dashes if cherries, pears, and figs.

The beer goes down smooth and the 6.5% ABV is relatively hidden.

Overall, one of the better Belgian dark ales I've had.

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

Lightly sweet with a Belgian yeasty taste very similar to blonde Leffe but contains a slightly toasted taste. Worth returning to but not something I would seek out.

3.59/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look: dark brown/black, not too much head and little head retention
Taste: somehow I felt artificially sweet, liquorice taste, coupled with some roastiness, which is strange.
Feel: medium body. Aftertaste does not linger around long, quickly dissipated in my mouth.
Overall: Well, it is a cheap and easily accessible Belgian dark ale, as compared to better ones. If it is available, I won't deny one, but it will not be my go to.

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

11.2 ounce bottle poured into Foothills Brewing goblet

A - rich dark brown color nearly opaque, with a two finger foamy head, great retention and great lacing.

S - raisins, figs, bread, yeast.

T - follows the nose. Some cola. Malt forward with a dry yeasty finish.

M - thin but well carbonated.

O - decent Belgian. Worth trying.

2.48/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Was excited to give this two-year-old Leffe a try! It poured a medium dark amber color with little to no head, but that may have been because I was pouring from a day-old growler and this doesn't seem to be a very carbonated beer in the first place. The nose is sweet, almost raisin-y, and has the tiniest hint of nuttiness...the previous reviewer who mentioned root beer was spot-on. The taste of the beer was surprisingly sweet, almost unappealingly so at first, and none of the nuttiness in the nose translated onto the palate. It had a perfectly fine but not exceptional mouthfeel. The finish was fast and slightly sour. I was bummed I wasn't enjoying it more as a sipping beer, and after some pondering decided to pair it with a few mild and sweet-ish cheeses (havarti, mild cheddar, and some of Sargento's New Zealander). That made a huge difference...the sweetness calmed down and more nuttiness and yeastiness popped out, and I even poured a second small glass. I think this is an ok beer, and I might seek it out if I was looking for something to serve with a cheese plate or other sweet/savory appetizers. Probably won't buy again, though.

3.74/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From a 330 ml bottle (best by June 16, 2015) into a tulip. Reviewed from notes dated June 20, 2014.

A-An aggressive pour produces about three fingers of dirty, mocha-colored head. The beer leaves sticky lacing and has a pretty good retention period. The liquid is walnut brown and mostly clear with just a bit of haze.

S-The aroma is holiday-spiced with ginger bread, clove, and root beer like scents. I wouldn't say it is cloying, but this is a sweet and syrupy-smelling brew. It reminds me of maple syrup, actually.

T-The taste is similar to the smell with root beer, ginger bread, mild sweetness, and cocoa flavors. The beer doesn't pack the overt spices of a holiday brew, but more subtle, integrated flavors.

M-The feel is a bit thin with more crispness than I would like for the style.

O-This is a decent brew with some interesting flavors, but nothing spectacular. The root beer/ginger bread flavors are interesting, but the lack of complexity and the slightly thin mouthfeel hurt the scores.

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours a deep brown with a creamy, beige-colored head. Creamy looking. Good retention, and nice lacing. Difficult to see thru the beer, but when held up to light there are nice red highlights.

S - Nice mix of dark fruit and Belgian yeast. I would prefer it if the aroma was a little more potent.

T - I was quite pleasantly surprised here! It tastes like a slightly muffled version of some of the dubbels that I really like. It's also just a touch sweeter. There is a slight sourness, and a slight metallic note on the finish but it doesn't last long.

M - Excellent job here. It feels medium-bodied with carbonation that you really feel. But it's not fizzy. Mild tingle on the finish. Slightly dry.

O - This is a really good beer. At the price point I would consider it an excellent value, particularly for those interested in breaking into abbey ales. I'll be buying this again and will definitely use it as a lower cost fix for when I've got a hankering for a Belgian Dark of some sort.

4.16/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I bought a six of this for about $9 after trying a single yesterday and determining that I would need more. One of my cousins brought me a 750 of Leffe from Belgium many years ago that was amazing, but ever since I've tried anything imported from Leffe it hasn't quite compared to that one from Belgium.

Actually got to pour the whole thing into my Chimay glass without it getting too precarious; the bottles are those pesky 11.2oz sizes, but hey, something that actually fits in this glass. Pours dark brown, true to its namesake, starting with some big head, reducing to a thin but unbroken blanket, steadily fizzing from the etched bottom of the glass. Solid.

Nose on this is great, exactly what you want from an abbey ale: banana, dark fruit, caramel, spice, but not going grapey as some of the darker Belgians can for me. Tastes sweet and fruity with light bitterness, and a bit of leather. I thought that was interesting and went to the website, which I think identifies that flavor as coffee/chocolate, but I'm getting leather. Either way, it's a nice element.

Mouthfeel is pretty perfect. 6.5 abv holds it up pretty well, and it's medium-bodied, but has a bit of a chewiness to it. Nicely carbonated, and good to the end of the glass.

Overall, great experience, nice beer. Maybe this was the one my cousin brought back for me? Will definitely get this again.

4.21/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The taste is rich, thick with hops and balanced notes of malt. A slight but pleasant bitterness appears at the end. Refreshing but still kind of a "heavy" beer.

4.26/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Rich, smooth, sweet, brown and blonde. Fantastic fluffy head. Not too thick but full bodied so you know that you're drinking and not sipping flavored water. There's a delicious underlying light caramel. It's the dessert and appetizer all wrapped up together.

1.66/5  rDev -56.3%

This might be the oddest beer i've ever tasted. It caught my eye while passing through the supermarket and I had high hopes.

The good thing I can say about Leffe Brune/Brown is that it ours well and gives you a nice thick head atop your beer.

Leffe Brown had a caramel/malt smell but not in an appealing way. I found myself shying away from smelling it again. As for the taste it's like a sweet caramel brown ale but it just failed. I couldn't even finish it, and that's really saying something. I got maybe a quarter through it and said it taste too bad for me to want to finish. I'm stuck with five left so maybe the second time around I'll enjoy it more but this beer was awful.

Leffe Brune / Brown from Abbaye de Leffe S.A.