Leffe Blonde - Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Leffe BlondeLeffe Blonde

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-21-2001

Reviews: 1,277 | Hads: 3,419
Reviews by ZOSO2192:

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Appearance – The body is light orange in color with some carbonation visible. The head was decent but went down rather quickly.

Smell – The yeast aroma was mixed with a strong orange scent. There were the standard Belgian spices at the nose as well.

Taste – This one is not bad. The yeast comes out more in the taste. There are few more fruits that show up such as ripe melons and grapes. The spicing is light and subdued.

Mouthfeel – There’s some good carbonation in there. This one went down smooth and easy.

Drinkability – This was a nice ale that went down pleasantly.

Comments – There’s nothing real exciting to this one, but it got the job done. It lacked the bite that I personally enjoy in a good BSPA, but went about its business successfully. (775 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

It is a weird bubblegum flavor. Real good with wings (53 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

330ml bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a translucent golden color with light hints of amber. About two fingers of a white foamy head with great retention, dissipates very quickly leaving thick lacing behind. A lot of carbonation - stems of bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass. (4.5)

S: Strong mix of wheat and barley malts - wheat predominates. Strong Belgian yeast aroma, fruity, cooked pineapple, apple, banana, grassy, orange zest and Belgian spices. (4)

T: Smell is richer than the taste. Alcohol is more apparent in the taste. Barley caramel malts, not a whole lot of wheat malts. Belgian yeast is still strong. The taste is very sweet upfront, but gets bitter as the beer fills the palate. (4)

M: Light to medium body, high carbonation, boozy. Refreshing and alcoholic sensation in the mouth after each sip. Lovely bready aftertaste. (4.25)

O: Even though this is a very simple and cheap Belgian Ale, this brew will always be special to me, considering it was the first Belgian Ale I've ever had. I can get this for the same price as most Adjunct Lagers/Euro Pale Ales at local liquor stores, so I never hesitate about what I'll buy when I want something cheaper. Leffe is the beer I always have in my refrigerator. (4)

Today I had a glass of Leffe with pasta, with red sauce and chicken breast. Surprisingly, it paired amazingly well. The sensation and aftertaste were absolutely great. I'll definitely try to repeat this combination. (1,466 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A consistently dismissed beer due to ownership by InBev. Pity because Leffe Blonde is an excellent example of the style. "Better" abbey blondes generally have too much of everything for my tastes. I'm looking for something with the requisite Belgian esters that's also lighter, crisper and with less of a lingering mouth-feel than a beer like a St Feuliien blonde -- and Leffe delivers as well as any in the style. As a non-sweet beer drinker, this beer is sweeter (to me) than most any beer that I consistently drink with flavors reminiscent of candy corn. But the sweetness is pleasant as it is balanced by a slight acidity and wheat-flavored undertones. A winner. InBev or not. (687 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +6.7%

Not a fan but my wife really likes it! Have been trying to get out of my HOPPcentric ways. Seems to affect how beers w\o hopps taste and sometimes i'm to negative to them. Now i've decided to just drink more of the styles at a time to compare. Cheers to more tasting! (271 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is my definition of a Belgium blonde ale, I love it! Full of carbonation, Full of flavor at start with fruity dry finish. Love it, love it, love it!!! (157 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a deep golden color with a nice sticky head,the aroma is very yeasty and a little fruity.Taste has a honey taste that hits you right away along with some spicey yeast notes not alot of fruitiness in the taste in my opinion.I like this beer but there are alot better Belgian pales out there. (296 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I bought a sixer of this stuff at a beer store where everything was overpriced, thinking "what's one buck more when I can get a real Belgian?" I remembered trying this for the first time at Monk's Cafe in Philly and being very impressed.

Maybe I was just excited to be at Monk's, or maybe this beer's just better on tap, but man, what a let down. This beer's just average. LOOKS great on its way into the glass; very carbonated, and produces a light, puffy head. Smells like a Belgian Pale ale, but no particularly unique aromatic characteristics. Tastes... like a pale ale, albeit a malty Belgian pale ale. What startles me is the sour aftertaste. It's not a good green apple sour, but more like an apple juice gone bad sour.

I won't rule out buying this on tap againa, but I sure don't plan on buying it in the bottle again anytime soon. (846 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

2.28/5  rDev -36.7%

From notes of an unfortunately copious amount of this garbage consumed in France last December…

Sweet, thin watery gunk. Typically Leffe yeasts and sugars are more pronounced than the barley or hops. Bleigh! Macro sugar water with a nice carbonation stream. Clear gold body with a fluffy, light head. Smells slightly medicinal and almost fruity but leaves me wanting more in all categories. (394 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

3.72/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 11.2 oz. bottle into a wide mouth chalice style glass.

Pours a beautiful golden color with an orange hue. Clear. An abundant 1" uneven foamy white head covers the brew for a good long time before reducing to a thing layer of bubbles and a ring. Light lacing.

The aroma was almost non-existent, which was perplexing. All this cool looking stuff going on and there was very little to note. If anything there was just a touch of spice or some other fruity adjunct.

Candy sugar, honey, malt, orange peel, and coriander are just a few of the immense flavors that wash over the tongue in a gush with a good deep pull. A bit sweet with a solid medium weight in the mouth. Carbonation is light and the overall texture is nice and creamy. This reminded me a bit of a "blonde brune" if there were such a thing, as there are nice notes of dark fruit in here as well, such as figs or dates. The finish is creamy and malty, with more of that Belgian candy sugar taste on the tongue.

I absolutely loved the amazing flavors and complex combination of ingredients in this brew. If I had a criticism at all, it would probably be that it was just a little bit sweet for me. Is it too sweet? Depends on your tastes, I guess. I would definitely put this on my "anytime" beer list. Recommended. (1,292 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Leffe Blonde from Abbaye de Leffe S.A.