Leffe Blonde - Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Leffe BlondeLeffe Blonde

Abbaye de Leffe S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-21-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leffe Blonde Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,304 | Hads: 3,539
4.7/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

i lived in NL for two years and enjoyed many, many glasses of leffe blonde. it was the very first beer i bought when i arrived, if only because the six pack came with a free glass which i needed (all of my kitchenware was on a slow boat). nine years later and i still remember that divine first taste. and to think that a six pack plus glass cost the equivalent of under $4 at the time....

i have had this beer on tap and out of a bottle many times in the BeNeLux area as well as some parts of the US (NYC, DC, austin). very recently had several bottles while visiting the eifel part of germany, very near belgium. it was as good as i remembered. in my experience, the quality is more consistent out of the bottle and definitely better either way in europe than in the US.

at its best, it has a wonderful, complex flavor with a bit of sweetness, but nothing heavy or cloying. this complexity seems to go away somewhat if it sits in a keg for too long or isn't optimally stored in shipping. the leffe i've had in the US was good, just not outstanding. maybe 0.5 points down overall.

for me, leffe blonde is the belgian beer i always go back to. a great 'comfort beer'. there are others i like better in certain ways or for certain times, but this is definitely the best i've had in this particular style.

4.67/5  rDev +30.1%

What an awesome beer! Can't believe it's taken me this long to discover such a treasure... almost like a super hefe-weizen, this beer pours a gorgeous bronze color with a nice, frothy head that has decent staying power... The aroma is wonderful - full of banana, fruits, and spices... The taste is super-rich... full of exciting and bold flavors that strongly complement the aroma... Has a superb mouthfeel that sticks to the palate and taste buds... flavor is long-lasting and very satisfying... a relatively strong alcohol percentage is the only thing holding me back from giving this a perfect five, but the 6.6% is really not felt so much, as the alcohol is hard to detect behind a creamy and rich taste... Definitely recommended... a must-try...

4.67/5  rDev +30.1%

Its like looking through a glass of clover honey, the head was disappointing it was a finger and a 1/4 of cream soda head that dissipated quickly but is actually leaving a light lacing on my glass.

It smells like a mix of overly ripe avocados (Not odd for a Belgian ale to me at least) and alfalfa hay bales. Finishing with a little wisp of the alcohol.

First thing that hit me as I took a drink was the carbonation burning my tongue very sprite like carbonation... It has however mellowed out and is quite smooth now on my 4th or 5th sip.

It's got a slight crispness to it that mellows into a fermented fruit, and leaves the palette sticky with a happy coppery slime. Classic Belgian ale

I will be polishing off this brew over the Christmas holiday, I'd call this one very drinkable.

4.65/5  rDev +29.5%

It poured a spectacular clear orange gold and developed a thin white head. The aroma is full of spice and fruit. The taste is bold and full of flavors. There are several spices and fruits competing for room here. It's a great blend and the flavor filled out as the beer warmed. A good solid medium feel to this with a bit of carbonation. I think there was a little hops, but no more than just enough to keep this from being too sweet, no bitterness at all. This one definately goes on the regular list.

4.64/5  rDev +29.2%

An excellent lager. Great flavor. Not over powering.refreshing. Such a superior choice over run of th mill domestic. This is what the big breweries need to survive against the onslaught of craft breweries out there. This import competes nicely against local craft. An excellent beer. Readily available almost anywhere in major cities in the USA. Great go to choice when craft is just not available.

4.63/5  rDev +29%

A- Beautiful pumpkin orange hue... 2 1/2 finger snow white head with lacing that clings like spider webs as it disappears.

S- Banana, clove, nutmeg, and freshly harvested wheat! This beer always smells like spring to me!

T- Honey, ginger and banana right up front. Clove, sweet licorice, and jelly beans follow as it warms up. I love how bready, fresh and yeasty this blonde lovely is. Such depth and dimension.

M- I love the carbonation tingle as it dances on your tongue, and the sticky sweet honey taste that lingers for what seems like forever!

D- The only thing you need to think about when drinking this one, is when should I take the next one out of the fridge to warm up. It's so simple and delicious... goes with so many different foods... Chinese, Thai, fish, grilled pineapple/chicken skewers, desert... Mmmm...

4.62/5  rDev +28.7%

The presentation starts in the beautiful bottle, and it pours out to an excellent straw color with a fluffy head. The smell is of spiced rum for some reason.

The taste is brilliant, with hints of fruit. It's very sweet, and a little light on the hops. This reminds me of the taste of whiskey.

The mouthfeel is fairly good, but nothing too exciting.

This is definitely a drinkable beer and I recommend this to everyone.

4.62/5  rDev +28.7%

What a great blond. An authentic Belgian abbey beer which can be dated back to 1240 a the Abbey de Notre Dame. Leffe is now owned and produced by Stella Artois. Quite delicious, with well rounded fullbodied taste. With a higher than usually abv at 6.6%, it goes down very easily.

This beer is quite delicious, it hold a very appealing aroma and appearance. Very thick in texture, which make sit even more appealing to the palate. Leffe Blond has a sunny golden color, mellow malt flavours, and a touch of spiciness to deliver full-bodied delicate sweetness; though it takes some time to drink because of the sweetness.

Leffe Blond has a well-balanced malt flavouring worthy of any beer drinker. The aroma brings me back to something in my childhood, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Cheers.

4.62/5  rDev +28.7%

Nice golden color with reddish tint. Persistent carbonation, generous white head that diminishes slowly. Smells more alchoholic than 6.6%. A clean, fruity smell
Tastes very refreshing. Definite alcohol warmth. Malty, but not BIG malty. It's balanced well with hop bitterness and a fruitiness that I assume comes from the hops, and maybe yeast? This one is hard to pin down. Mouthfeel is dry, yet refreshing. Crisp, I suppose is the word.

VERY drinkable. Probably the drinkablest(?) Belgian I've had yet.

4.52/5  rDev +25.9%

Poured from a bottled into a belgian style tulip glass. Nice head formation torward the top of the glass. Citrus and Coriander on the nose. Formed tiny (champagne like) bubbles that lasted until I was done with this 11.2 oz bottle (not long). Nice lace. Smooth and well balanced. Wonderful golden color. Easy to drink. Perfect summertime beer.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

Another of the many biers my wife brought me from her trip to France (thank you, honey!). I was disappointed because she was limited to how much she could bring home and she accidentally bought two of these. However...

Poured a sweet nutty brown with a great foamy head which lasted forever (seemed like it anyway). Smells of citrus and a hint of bannana. Taste definitely proved my nose correct with the bannana and fruityness. Almost had a Hefe feel and taste to it. Maybe that's why I liked it so much. I couldn't get enough of this. I am so glad I had a full liter of it. Oh wait, and I have another. Thank God for mistakes!

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

This beer falls into the "boy am I glad I bought this" category. Being a bit of a purist "Reinheitsgebot-ist" when it comes to malt beverages, I am not a real fan of Belgian beers. So when I saw the display of Abbey de Leffe at the local store, I was attracted first to the amazing packaging. But the BA reviews were good, so I tried it. Absolutely loved it. Rich, clear golden color with massive, foamy head that lasted and lasted (and then laced the glass all the way down). The spicy clove/banana hops hits your nose immediately, but subtlely. And the taste is reminiscient of the best Belgian white beers, but filtered to a smooth, bubbly gold and not too sweet. Extremly drinkable and one of the few I've enjoyed right down to the last swallow. Exceptional. I think I'll have another.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

Aroma: lots of clove, nice sweet fruity aroma as well (juicy fruit)

Appearance: Clean/clear golden color, small clean bubbles, white foamy head

Flavor: Spicy, (clove and pepper). The small bitterness, medium alcohol and med-high carbonation dry out this beer which I think would otherwise be considered sweet.
Still has the overall impression of sweet (which is balanced with the high spice) and the slowly drying finish, slight alcohol warming.

Mouth feel
Medium-Full, creamy, and a dry bubbly feel,

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

poured a clear golden color with a three finger white head with a easy pour that held to a half inch with a spotty lace. first whiff is of banana aroma that turns to clove and spice. taste, all i could think of was easter ham studed with clove, clove and spice predominate the taste. medium mouthfeel with good carbonation, lots of bubbles coming up through the beer. maybe not the best but still tasty.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

I have been enjoying Leffe Blonde for awhile. I first discovered it while pub hopping in London last year. It was different from the other great English draft ales that I had been drinking. Back in the USA, I noticed that it was available at Taco Mac in Atlanta. Fortunately I had to return to Europe on business this spring and got to drink Leffe Blonde at Heathrow Airport, Amsterdam, and best of all in Brugges (Belgium). There is an Irish pub next to the Crown Plaza there that had Leffe Blonde on tap and it was truly excellent. My associates and I sampled many different trappist ales while in Belgium, but Leffe Blonde was available in most bars and we loved it! Some people are voicing negative opinions about this beer because it is now being distributed internationally by a large cartel. If that enables me to enjoy it more often in Atlanta, then I can't view that as a bad thing. Try Leffe Brun-its even better!

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

Didn't really know what to expect, as this was an Interbrew product and we all know they are seen as devils in the brewing community. I have had a few other Leffe products and really enjoyed them. This one pours out to a clear yellow-golden, forming a nice-sized rocky white head with very good retention and excellent lacing. Carbonation is moderate...not quite as brisk as many other triples/Belgian Pales, which is fine with me. The aroma is crisp and clean with vanilla, honey, cantaloupe, and cloves. Slight mineral profile in the nose. Deceivingly light powdery body with a very weak saccharin syrupiness, but not at all distracting. Dry finish with sharp mineral notes. The taste is like the aroma...lots of cantaloupe and honey, mild apricot and orange with a very mild grassy bitterness towards the end, finishing with big tropical fruits and cloves peppered throughout. Alcohol is not noticeable in flavor or aroma. Grass lingers in the aftertaste. Well-balanced middle sweetness and late hops bitterness. Drinkability is very nice.

This is probably the easiest to drink Belgian Pale that I've had that doesn't skimp on flavor, dumb down for the masses, or deviate from the style. Thoroughly refreshing, and it doesn't cause palette fatigue (unlike Unibroue products...despite being awesome, I can only drink so many) Highly recommended.

4.49/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm shocked at the bros rating. This should not be rated and put on the same level as the American light beer that really taste like water and not beer.
Because It's a really good beer. It's smooth and very drinkable. It's not the best for its style which I think is Duvel. But this is the Best beer in this style for the price. You can get a 6 for 8.99$ . If you're looking to explore Belgian ales this beer is a great place to start.
Color is what you want! Gold perfection. Tastes and smells like malty banana nutty and little caramel notes. Nothing funky or weird going on. Just greatness and smooth. Would like to try this on tap.

Drank on-tap at the Thirsty Scholar Pub, Somerville, MA

Poured a clear, straw yellow with a small, foamy head that faded to a thick ring of lace.

Aroma was fruity and sweet. Ripe fruits (strawberries and raspberries) were apparent, along with candied sugar and some cotton candy-like qualities.

Taste was sweet (almost honey-like) and fruity on the front end. Some candied sugar was apparent in taste as well. Yeast became quite noticeable mid-palate, along with citrus fruits (orange and lemon peel) and spices (coriander and clove). Clean, refreshing finish with a fair amount of hoppiness.

Rich, buttery, syrupy mouthfeel.

Drinkability was outstanding. This beer was sweet and flavorful, yet quite well balanced. Furthermore, the alcohol was not at all detectable. One of the most sessionable Belgiums I have had to date.

Photo of
4.49/5  rDev +25.1%

This is a delicious Belgian. I had the bottle type and I poured it into a pilsner glass a little too quickly and the head was enormous. On my second round I chose the classic pint glass and the head was a bit more tame but so was my pour. The color is of the deep golden viriety and there was about 1 inch of head. It smelled sweet and malty and possible had some citrus notes. It seemed heavier on the malt and the hops were drowned out. Carbonation was present but not overpowering. The smell convinces you the taste will be smooth and on the sweeter side. This is not a heavy ale but its look is deceiving. It was filling but was an easy pint to finish. There was lacing left the entire way up the glass. I'd gladly have another.

4.48/5  rDev +24.8%

Served in a very slender, subtly seductive foiled bottle. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a hazy pale blond color with an impressive inch- thick head, which lulls into a quarter inch in about a minute, leaving thick, patchy lacing. This stuff looks appetizing.

S - The first thing I notice is a spicy Belgo-yeast, then faint grassy hops, slight citrus, and maybe honey?

T - Sharp grassy hops in between a delightful sweet chorus of banana, bubble gum, possibly coriander and honey. There's almost a peppery quality to it.

M - Mellow carbonation and a pleasantly light body make this very drinkable.

O - If you're a fan of Belgians, this one is definitely worth a peek.

4.48/5  rDev +24.8%

A: Crystal clear and golden - OK, they cheat and filter it so don't really deserve a lot of praise for the clarity but nevertheless a rich and appetising colour. A nice. bright white Belgian lace head which lasts well.

S: Malty with hints of honey and fruit.

T: Full of rich malty flavour. The aftertaste is honey and there is some nice floral and earthy complexity - probably from the yeast strain used. The hop bitterness balances the beer well, though the taste is definitely on the sweeter side.

M: Rich and fluffy with a fairly high level of carbonation.

D: Highly quaffable. The taste is clean enough that you could happily drink this all night.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I'm not a big fan of Belgium ales but at $4.oo for 750ml how could I resist. This bottle had a Champaign cork that came out with minimal effort.

Poured a nice deep golden yellow with a huge white head that left lots of lace on the glass.

Aroma was sweet with a bit of sour but the fruit was definitely up front.

Carbonation was just right. The yeast flavor was minimal and not sour.

Like Belgium ales it was complex with light fruit (banana) a touch of sour, a sweetness others my find too much but not me. For me the sweetness balanced well with the tart. Great balance of hops and malt with neither dominating the other.

I was really surprised how much I liked this beer and would recommend it to anyone wanting to try Belgium for the first time.

4.48/5  rDev +24.8%

This beer tastes as good as it looks. I do have to admit that I was a little disappointed that maize was used as an adjunct but given my love fro this beer I'll overlook it. The pour finished with a white creamy head that looks every bit as good as the advertisements. The taste was smooth and malty with a nice hop balance. This is the kind of beer you can have with pizza or a nice filet mignon. Excellent!

4.47/5  rDev +24.5%

Leffe Blonde has a medium, cream-colored, fluffy head and a clear, golden-orange appearance with lots of streaming bubbles and thin lacing. The aroma is of coriander and cloves, and the taste is of cloves, coriander, bananas, corn bread, cracker, and other unknown flavors. The mouthfeel is medium, and Leffe Blond finishes pleasant, refreshing, mild, and delicious. Overall, this is an excellent beer, and I think you should rush out and buy it!

4.45/5  rDev +24%

While I haven't tried nearly all the beers of this style, I can't imagine them being much better than this one. To me this beer has a near ideal balance of sweetness, light hop bitterness, esters, & spiciness flavor. The smell is banana, clove, & bubblegum while the appearance is a clear, medium gold. I must admit that I find this beer to be better than most that have reviewed it, but that is OK as it is staple in my refrigerator.

Leffe Blonde from Abbaye de Leffe S.A.