Leffe Blonde - Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Leffe BlondeLeffe Blonde

good

poor

Abbaye de Leffe S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-21-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leffe Blonde Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,285 | Hads: 3,451
3.03/5  rDev -15.8%

Leffe Blonde gots a goldish color with very little carbonation going on. Maybe it was my pouring (I don't know) but there was no head at all showing up. Restfull beer to watch.

Yeasty smell with small tones of bubblegum, which several reviewers have pointed out. The taste I think is pretty mild. Nothing to be braging about. The yeastiness hits the back of the throat in the aftertaste.

The thing is, I didn't remember this beer being so... boring. But it's an OK beer anyway. Worth a try. (492 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -15.8%

Got this beer as part of the holiday pack that included the Hoegaarden and Stella, and I wanted to give it a try. I tend to prefer witte/white ales from Belgium over this style, since I like the subtle flavors and smooth drinkability of them. After sampling the Leffe Blonde, it's apparent that this style is not the same, nor quite what I expected in anticipation.

Lots of head on this pour, and the beer itself had a nice golden straw color to it. The bubbles quickly settled and there wasn't much lacing as I tasted my sample. Not as much of a body to it as I thought there would be either - very maltly, with just a few citrus, straw, and clove hints to it. Unfortunately, I didn't feel much of any depth or enjoyable aftertaste to it. The lingering "bitterness" was more of an excuse to take another sip, and this beer just wasn't that filling or enjoyable on more than a basic level for me. Maybe I've become too accustomed to the American Pale Ales, but there was something about this that just didn't grow on me as I worked my way through my sampling.

This wouldn't be a terrible brew for a night out but it doesn't have any matching potential for food, in my opinion, and there wasn't much about it that stood out. It's certainly old-fashioned, and for more modern tastes like mine, this was worth a try and not much else... (1,342 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours a clean golden copper color with a small white head that quickly dissipates and leaves a little lacing.

Smells of banana, yeast and a lot of sugar. Not so bad, but very much on the sweet side so I'm not exactly thrilled as I prepare to taste it.

Bananas again come out in the taste, although to a lesser degree. What we have instead is a particularly strong taste of extra sugary bubblegum. Some cloves in the finish provide the only real saving grace for this one as that spicy finish is necessary to balance out the immense sweetness that shows up initially. Takes some getting used to I guess and after a while, faint notes of pear can be detected alongside the banana and yeast notes, but I still can't get that bubblegum taste out of my mind.

Medium bodied with decent carbonation. The finish is somewhat dry and sticky. I probably could have rated this a lot lower than I did, but if you're drinking it cold and fast, it at least can be enjoyable on a hot day. Definitely not something you can sip on like a true Belgian beer though. Actually this is something I might have liked if I was just getting into craft, but having tried much more complex Belgians, this one just doesn't hold up. (1,204 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured this out in the Leffe glass. Not a lot of foam, but quite dense.

Colour is golden and quite transparant. I can't see much bubbles.

Smells like ripe banana, some pineapple later on. Very creamy.

Tastes like banana with cream and pineapple, followed by a hoppy biterness and a slight metallic taste (don't know how else to descripe it). Hints of alcohol at the end, with a sweet and sticky finish.

Overall the taste is very sweet and creamy. There is not much else 'going on' here. A bit boring. Not my cup of tea really, but okay.

This beer is very popular (or marketed well) in Belgium. it is served in almost every cafeteria or restaurant. I had these before on-tap, and in my memorie they are better that way, a more coherent and fresher flavour. I don't like the thickness of this brew. (803 characters)

Here's a classic one.
Pours a clear golden color and is topped with a decent white and lasting head.
It has a sweet and fruity aroma with a faint alcohol smell added to it.
The taste is straigtforward, some yeast is present together with mostly hops. Also some alcohol again.
Nice and decent, although not my favourite. Luckily plenty other Leffe beers to try. (360 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -16.1%

A- This is really the strong point of the beer, in my opinion. I poured it into a pilsner glass. It is a dark gold/orange clear color with a one finger white head that lasts throughout. It is really a magnificent looking beer. Unfortunately, the rest of it failed to live up to the looks.

S- All I really smelled was pepper and some banana.

T- Pepper and clove throughout with some overtones of banana. Otherwise not a lot going on...the pepper definitely overpowers anything else. It's way too spicy and nothing to balance it out.

M- Way too prickly. Too much abrasive carbonation.

O- I'd call this a gateway beer to the Belgian styles. This is essentially the Miller Lite of the Belgians. It tastes pretty extraordinary to people who are used to American adjuncts. However, compared nearly any other traditional Belgian offering, this fails to impress. If you have friends that you're trying to introduce to the Belgian styles, then I'd suggest this one (it's better than Stella...but not by much.) Otherwise, I would not recommend it. (1,044 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -16.4%

Poured a clear goldenyellow in color with a mesmerizing white head that was thick and pillowy and gave a nice sheeting action on the glass.

And then it goes downhill.

Aromas are dominated by a candied sugar sweetness. Thin layer of fruit as well. Flavor is dull. Way too sweet. Nothing suceeds in balacing this. There's some spicy and bitter notes that attempt to peak through. Finish is watery and uninspiring. Low-medium body. (434 characters)

02.01.10 at Xebec

A: clear, orange-y amber

S: super yeasty, with citrus and spices

T: maybe some coriander, maybe some orange blossoms; gets caramel-y

M: high fizz, with a bit of a syrupy texture

D: not my favorite, but then again, this is not my usual style of beer

Had this after a black and tan. Xebec is definitely not a beer destination. (348 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -16.4%

I had one of these at a nice bar with lots of beers on tap. Not sure what the hell I was thinking. I've had it in the bottle and wasn't impressed and on tap, still not. This was a couple days ago unfortunately and all I remember is being unhappy because I could have a V8. What? (278 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -16.4%

Extremely clear yellow body, looks like a macro lager almost. Big white head that has good retention and leaves nice sticky lacing makes up for that though.

Smells of sweet malt, a little fruity, a little yeasty.

The big flavor here is definitely sweet malts. Yeast character and some fruit notes come through, and there is just the slightest hop flavor in here, but it's all about the malts.

Mouthfeel is a little light for a blonde, but it is still pretty drinkable.

This is basically a shadow of a good Belgian Pale, but there isn't anything actually wrong with it. (573 characters)

Best by 1/2/07.

Into a tulip this pours a clear, deep golden color. A massive bubbly head forms and stays around for a while. Plenty of lacing lines the glass.
Smells sweet like apple juice. A little bit of alcohol comes through.
Taste is all sweetness...almost cloying. The alcohol is hidden very well, which is nice.
There's lots of carbonation at first, but by the end of the glass, it's noticeably faded and becomes almost syrupy. My stomach warms from the alcohol.
This is a little too sweet for my taste, and the way it digresses as the glass empties hurts the drinkability.
Because of how sweet this is, I couldn't help but compare it to white wine. It's not the best beer, but I'd still take it over a white wine any day. (740 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours with a huge head. Very dense and rocky looking.Almost like looking down on snow capped mountains.
Smell is of sweet malts, Belgian of course, and the trademark yaest nose, typical of a Belgian ale.
Taste is very sweet, almost candy-like...and thick in the mouth. Almost cloying.
Yeast evident in the flavor. Dominant.

Not a bad beer, but a little too sweet for me. (371 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -16.4%

Appearance: Golden color with a huge head thats just off white. The head quickly dissipates and leaves no lace, just a thin ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Not as strong as it should be here. Yeast and some bubble gum and some grassy notes and a little bit musty. Banana also comes into play.

Taste: Has a malty sweetness to start. Bubble gum caramel and honey and a bit of a floral hop flavor can also be found.

Mouthfeel/drinkablilty: Light body with medium carbonation and a dry finish. (502 characters)

Nose: bread, fruity esters - faint pineapple and apricot with a suggestion of banana, honey, spice
Pours brilliant blond gold under a 2"+ persistent and lacy bone white foam cap.
Starts slightly sweet, hints of lemon, pineapple and apricot, light caramel honey, light hop bitterness on the finish
Medium to medium light body, medium high carbonation, creamy, finishes a touch sweeter than dry
This is a drinkable but not outstanding beer and as a lighter beer is susceptible to handling issues. When fresh, a decent alternative to industrial lager. When old, which is often, it picks up wet cardboard flavors which dull the fruits. (632 characters)

Creamy and long-lasting foam, protecting the trail of scents and allowing sipping liquid interesting effect. Different hops, but the cost-benefit in Brazil... (158 characters)

Had it for the first time in a while. I like Omer and Kwak a lot better, but this isn't quite as bad as I originally remembered. It went fairly well with a brownie as the sweetness of the brownie and the bitterness of the beer worked well together. (250 characters)

Pours with a nice fluffy, white head that sticks to the glass.

It is sweet. Surprisingly sweet. With lots of yeasty character. That's the whole show right there. There are some biscuity, and cracker flavors, maybe animal crackers to be more precise. Touch of honey. If I close my eyes, I start to think I can detect some bubble gum flavors, but maybe I'm looking for complexity that isn't there, or maybe I'm mistaking something else for bubble gum. There are some very subtle, but slightly odd estery and phenolic flavors that I can't quite isolate. They come off slightly medicinal after a while.

I enjoyed this at first. The more I drink it, the less I like it. The sweetness builds on the palate and the yeast gets to be old. If It's this or a beer that ends in "Lite", then I'll take this. Otherwise, give me something else. (833 characters)

Poured a very clean and bright golden bronze - too clean and bright, seemed quite processed. Not terribly flavorful - typical Belgian blonde ale flavor profile, but muted and pedestrian. Some vague fruity flavors and a bit of yeast, but nothing that reaches out and grabs your attention. Not bad, but much better examples of the style out there. (345 characters)

A translucent gold color on the pour, the head magnanimous, frothy texture, the lace in pertaining sheets. The nose dominated by the malt, hints of citrus, fresh and clean. Front is malt and cloying sweet, top is lean and lanky, the finish has minimal carbonation, adequately hopped, but does “Ring By Beer Bell”! (315 characters)

Gold and very yellow in apprearance. Smell is quit typical of you ero brews. Mouthfeel is very champaigeny with lots of bubbles. The taste is very typical of a Belgian Pale Ale, one that is average. Very wheat and yeast heavy in taste. Overall this a good Belgian if that is your type of beer, although we have had better. (322 characters)

Since I do not have any type of belgian glass ware, I used an over sized winr glass. The color is deep golden, with a slight white head forming. The aroma starts off with some scents of yeast, then followed by strong a citrus fragrance. The taste is very sweet, but mostly citrus fruit flavors, with a spicy ending. The feel of this beer is very lite at first and seems to get heavier as it crosses the palate. This an okay beer, the sweetness would turn off some, but it lacks that punch that belgian beers usually have in taste. (530 characters)

Pours out a light orange color with an average fluffy head; very bubbly. The aroma is of lightly roasted malts and sugar. The taste is of citrus and heavy on the malt. Definite orange and peach flavor. it has a nice carbonation to match this style. Overall this beer is just too average. I feel it is the run-of-mill Belgian Pale Ale...it just doesn't do it for me. (365 characters)

Appearance: Pours very clear and golden. A decent head.

Smell: Very faint clove and banana. Mostly bubble-gum-like aromas.

Taste: Malt sweetness with bubble-gum flavors. No real detectable hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light...thin.

Drinkability: Average. I used to think this was a great beer but after over a hundred different crafts & imports...I now see this for what it is...an average at best, commercial version of much better beers. (441 characters)

No clean snifter or tulip so I went ahead and poured from bottle into a pint glass. Golden in color, like apple juice, white one finger head that yielded to decent lacing.

Mostly fruity on the nose-I'm getting pears, apples and a little banana. Hint of bubblegum.

Seems to be a little bland compared to some of the other Belgians I've had. I have limited experience here, but doesn't seem nearly as complex. The fruits are there, a little sweet.

Feels decent in the mouth, moderate carbonation, a little medicinal that lingers.

Not outstanding, but drinkable. Definitely had worse. (585 characters)

This was a very boring beer for me. It had a good golden color with a frothy white head. The smell was just of sweet malts, caramel and a mild alcohol. Nothing really exciting. The taste was just as boring. It was good, but plain caramel with a brown sugar finish. It was a drinkable beer being low carbonation and a full bodied beer. (334 characters)

Leffe Blonde from Abbaye de Leffe S.A.