Leffe Blonde - Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Leffe BlondeLeffe Blonde

Abbaye de Leffe S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-21-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leffe Blonde Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,304 | Hads: 3,541
2.14/5  rDev -40.4%

Best by 22SEP13

Golden with some white sheet and excellent clarity. Smells like standard belgian yeast with some metallic tones and a bit of banana and petunia. Pretty uneventful nose. Flavor is buttery with banana and some soil along slight coriander and bits of belly button lint. Medium bodied with mild carb and a slicking finish. Not impressed with this and will likely not visit again.

2.14/5  rDev -40.4%

I was shocked when I tasted this beer to review it, so shocked in fact that I am almost sure this is a bad bottle, and may not be representative of the beer. The best before date is September 2011. I have drunk this beer many times before but haven't touched it for about three years.

A: The colour was a rich golden brown, with head that dissipated suspiciously quickly, leaving no lace at all. I last drank Leffe Blonde a few years ago and I recall it being fizzy and lacy.

S: Lots of grain, and some hoppiness. Almost smelt like an adjunct lager. No esters or other discernable smells anywhere.

T: Alcohol, like drinking a shot of vodka and nothing else. The taste was vile. All I got was alcohol in my mouth. I am almost suspecting that someone spiked this bottle.

M: The strong alcohol taste pretty much killed it for me. Can feel next to nothing after that.

D: Shockingly bad.

The reason I am so shocked is that I used to LOVE drinking this beer until it became too pricey for me about three years ago. I came back to try this beer and was shocked at how bad it was. I am sure this review will change as I am really sure that this bottle was just from a bad batch.

2.15/5  rDev -40.1%

Pours a sparkling highly carbonated gold, with a short one finger big bubbled head, which quickly dissipated to a film.
Fruity and yeasty aroma.
It's very sweet, far too sweet, other notes than come through show some complexity but they're overwhelmed. Bready, spicy and fruity taste. Notes of toffee and butterscotch.
Light body, coating from the sweetness.

2.15/5  rDev -40.1%

Pours nice from the tap good blond color strong body. Nice head thick white chewy hung around for the whole drink their was a good amount at the bottom of the glass when I was done. nice aroma of pairs and some type of herb. Highly carbonated. Sweet malt quality
a little to sweet so much as I don't think I could drink another. A little to much alcohol flavor, almost like whine.the fruity sweet flavor was too much in the end not the best blonde IMHO!!

2.21/5  rDev -38.4%

One word sums up this beer. Diacetyl! And way too much of it. If I squint my pallet and really try to forget about the popcorn taste I can almost detect a little something that resembles other good beers of this style, but life is too short to waste time on beer like this.

2.21/5  rDev -38.4%

A -
golden in color thick white head holds well mild carbonation

S -
malty slight sweetness with some citrus backbone

T -
starts sweet and finishes like a sweet sour i get some melon maybe pear honey malts i really almost spit back my first couple of sips
i will saw as the beer warmed it tasted better but but i still wanted to spit it back

M -
thickish fairly foamy nothing really awful about it but nothing great about it it was kind of watery

D -
awful would never have again well maybe on tap but i think my reason for why i didnt like this beer are clearly stated

2.22/5  rDev -38.2%

Appearance: Pours a very nice crystal clear golden beer with large carbonation bubbles that give way to a very patchy large bubbled foam head that lasts for quite sometime, then goes near still with some lace.

Smell: Soft clove-like aroma with a background yeasty / banana character. Fruity bubble-gum-like aromas too.

Taste: Smooth, a bit creamy and light. Malt sweetness is subdued at first with bubble-gum flavours throughout. Faint caramelly malts and honey flavours are detectable amongst a rather bready malt character, overall. Alcohol fusels come through as the beer warms. An odd yeasty/bready character follows and peaks, with a raw-ish feel on the palate. No real detectable hop bitterness, however the beer goes twangy for a brief second then falls back to more of the odd flavour. Finish is a bit dry with strong residual sweet flavours.

Notes: A very commercial Belgain ale. And, sadly, this beer might be a very good beer if it wasn't so damn clean & filtered -- most Belgian beers are bottled-conditioned. My advice is to skip this beer. It's not the worse, but there are plenty of non-commerical Abbey-style Belgian ales out there to drink.

You should also make serve at just below room temp, as the flavours seem to get better.

2.24/5  rDev -37.6%

Felt like a Beligan beer and the local corner store has it in stock.

A: uh oh. Where's the yeast? Looks like this beer has been filtered. Looks like a lager

smell: weak banans, hint of figs

taste: just not as good as it should be. I dunno, malts?

mouthfeel: just way to weak. Almost a Stella like harshness

overall: frankly this beer is poop. I won't get this again.

2.26/5  rDev -37%

This was brought over for Christmas,a variety pk,Leffe was the only one i hadn't tried,and i could'nt wait to pour this one.Poured a cloudy off yellow orangey color,nice thick white foamy head,impressive,that stuck around for a long while and left some really nice sticky lacing.Nose was fruit and spices,orange and stale corn with a hint of stale grass all mixed in there in the aroma,all that just threw me off,i new what i was in for and was not liking it.First sip and...hmmm sweet,a hint of clove and spices,mild fruit.2nd sip,sweetness comes in a little stronger,really notice the fruits,orange and a little lemon,cloves and spices seem a bit strong.3rd sip,,,,ahhh...no like this one,sweetness really getting to me and the strong spices,mouthfeel was very full bodied,heavy feel and kinda dry on the finish.All in all,this just wasn't my type of beer,sure glad it was not me that bought it.

2.28/5  rDev -36.5%

From notes of an unfortunately copious amount of this garbage consumed in France last December…

Sweet, thin watery gunk. Typically Leffe yeasts and sugars are more pronounced than the barley or hops. Bleigh! Macro sugar water with a nice carbonation stream. Clear gold body with a fluffy, light head. Smells slightly medicinal and almost fruity but leaves me wanting more in all categories.

2.28/5  rDev -36.5%

I see this everywhere, I felt like I was missing out. Clear gold with a large white head. Chunky skim retention and lacey sea foam splashes. Bottled expiration date on back.

Lemongrass and chamomile and yeasty Belgian spice aroma. Dry and buttery with sweet edges. Really, really, sweat without anything offered up for balance except a gasping phenolic blah that doesn't really go anywhere. Leffe Blond, cloying be thy name.

This beer seems like what a Belgian pale would be if Bud/Miller/Coors got a hold of one. What am I going to do with the rest of these?

2.29/5  rDev -36.2%

Massive chunky pure white head with great head retention on beautiful golden colored, highly carbonated beer. Looks incredible.

Aroma is of sweet, maybe honey, and some spice.

Taste is really sweet - stick in the back of your throat, hard to swallow sweet. I tasted sweet honey like flavors, spiciness, but the alcohol bite was not masked by these and stuck out really bad. No hop or malt flavor, just a sickening sweetness. I really tried to like it, let it warm up, but just struggled through the sweetness the whole glass.

2.31/5  rDev -35.7%

A- Nice golden appearance with about 2 finger foamy head that faded to about a pinky that stuck around for the duration of the beer. An OK amount of lacing.

S- Overall the smell is extremely sweet! Smells like an American Adjunct Lager that has a biscuit aspect to it.

T- So weird! VERY SWEET, malty, and biscuty. Hops are very easily detected. There is a strange bitterness when you swallow the beer. You can even taste the alcohol, even at what the bottle says is "6.0% ABV". Unbalanced taste overall!

M- Medium in mouth, not too too heavy. It's got a sticky quality, just about syrupy in texture. Very sweet. I even think that alcoholic taste is easily detected in the body of the beer. The drinkabilty is not bad, but there are other beers I'd rather turn to if I was thirsty.

Overall the beer is not really balanced. The mouthfeel was quite off-putting. It was like a Czech Pilsner, but was practically sickly sweet. Would love to try other Belgian Pale Ales, but will stay away from the Leffe Blonde!

2.35/5  rDev -34.5%

Pours a golden color with a 2 finger, white head with some decent retention, leaving pretty good lace.

Smells slightly fruity, some honey and bubblegum notes detected.

Taste is a tad richer than the appearance led me to believe. Some caramel laced with lemon zest and cloves up front with a sort of yeasty and decidedly hop-free finish with a bubblegum aftertaste. Way too sweet and "bubblegum-ey" for me.

Medium body, the lack of carbonation seems to be a drawback of this beer as it turns what could be a creamy texture to a syrupy texture. Left a pretty unpleasant sweet aftertaste in my mouth that I kept burping up the rest of the night, not exactly enjoyable.

2.41/5  rDev -32.9%

Tried Leffe Blonde for the first time and it poured as a lovely golden color with an amazing head. Probably the best appearing beer that I've ever had, especially when it wasn't even poured into its signature chalice. Laced very well the entire way.

Smell was of corn and probably some touches of spices but I didn't really get to distinguish what spices they were as it folded into the corn aroma and all I could make out was fermented corn.

Tasted like corn, a few spices (mace perhaps but I doubt it), finished with alcohol. I wasn't able to distinguish anything notable about the taste apart from alcohol and corn.

Mouthfeel was quite creamy and carbonated just right. There was a slight aftertaste of creaminess that turned me off just a bit so it didn't get a perfect score.

Drinkability suffered from the taste. I can see someone finishing those at an exceptional pace if they enjoyed the taste but for my personal drinkability, I wouldn't be able to enjoy this as a session beer but rather as a one-of beer.

I would probably drink Leffe Blonde again but only once a year.

2.42/5  rDev -32.6%

Dated: 10/05/11, 4902:01
From LCBO, 33cl

G: Chalice

A: Clear tinted orange-golden body with two fingers of white foamy head. Good retention and leaves thick lacing.

S: Banana, apple and funky yeast. Very weak aroma and hard to pick out.

T: Funky yeast is very prominent, some apple flavouring. Again very weak.

M: Medium-light bodied and medium-high carbonation. Creates a froathy texture and is very pleasant. Leaves a dry-stick funky finish.

D: Nothing about this beer is off putting, but that's where it ends. The price is not justified and it it a sad attempt at a belgian style.

2.42/5  rDev -32.6%

330 ml, BBE 16. November 2011, into Leffe goblet. Pours clear golden, effervescent body overlain by gradually subsiding white head that fades to a persistent cloth. Nice lacing on the walls. A very simplistic aroma profile consisting of toasted malt reminiscent of sweet corn, conspicuous clove and light applish fruitiness . Taste is corn-like toasted malt, clove and restrained fruity tartness (apple/citrus). Some bitterness that seems to be phenolics derived and fails to balance out the dominant malty sweetness. Slightly alcoholic finish. Light to medium bodied and quite lively on the palate.

In short: liquefied sweet corn with clove staring in the face.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

11.2 oz poured into Duvel tulip

A: clear pale orange with thin bubbly white head stays nicely on top; spotty lacing

S: light sweet malt, but an odd smell kept coming through that I can only oddly describe as reminiscent of cafeteria green beans! - strange.

T: stale bready malt. mild spice aftertates. light yeast presence.

M: thin, minimal carbonation. Light as it should be but borders on watery

D: smooth but not worth the time. A bit of an effort to finish this one just because the taste was so unusual. will easily look past this one from now on. Had to try it - bottle looked great.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

pours beautifully. very carby. silky looking head. nice gold color.

grainy.but there is a note of the extra ABV to it. my initial impression was
that i might actually dump this one out. and thats rare.but ive decided to sit it out
anyways back to review.the nose is of corn. and grain. and maybe turnip? theres something odd in there.whatever it is , it spoils an otherwise unoffensive blonde for myself anyways.

starts off with a very evident higher abv. not pleasant. but a bit down the pint things lighten up. grains become more evident over the alcohol. still tho, theres something in the nose of this that i dont exactly enjoy. and that carries thru to the taste.
i doubt ill purchase it again. no hate towards the brewer , because they make a beautiful wiess. this is just not for my tastes at all.

almost adjunct like in its carb. smooth drinking. if you like the style.

*takes a second to sit back and quaff on it for a few*
its not overall terrible as I had thought, its just has too much ABV. if this were a normal 4 or 5% it might have better gravity and not taste so metallic and warm
i assume by the style that its an old recipe, so my bad review is probably just from lack of context, I didnt overall dislike this beer, just something about the is just not my thing. it does have upsides. the finish is grainey. and its smooth.
if you already like this and disagree.. enjoy it ..my dislike leaves more for you!

2.44/5  rDev -32%

I was hoping for more here. Poured from a brown bottle into a pilsner glass (my tulip was dirty)

A - Beautiful Honey amber color with a healthy head that hangs on for a while.

S - There's something weird about this beer. I can't quite put a finger on it, but it almost smells medicinal. Phenols? other than that, sweet and yeasty. Clearly Belgian.

T - The same odd flavor in the nose comes through in the mouth, just stronger. It's kind of a chemically flavor, that i don;t think should be there. I love strong pale belgians, and i've noticed a similar flavor in others, but it's not offensive to me like it is in this one. Hmmm. Other than that, Sweet, yeasty, and fruity notes.

M - Medium soft mouthfeel.

D - This will be the last one of these I'll have. It wasn't terrible, but neither was "4 Christmases" and I won't be experiencing that again either.

2.46/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Appearance: Good light amber color. Head stuck around nicely. The best part about the appearance was the carbonation which rose aggressively throughout.

Smell: I found the most powerful smell to be banana. I also picked up undertones of alcohol.

Taste: Extremely sweet. Bananas and fruit up front. Very breif, almost nonexistent, suggestion of hops. Finishes with over-ripe fruit.

Mouthfeel: Very thick.

Drinkability: I only bought a single, so I can't say for sure. However, I think that this beer is too sweet to drink more than one or two.

2.46/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

pale golden clor with a rich, thick buubly head, good head retention, leaving a legs on the side of the glass
S: peppery, spicy, cloves, earthy, belgian aroma, i am not trashing this beer, but it almost has a vomit like smell, i am not a fan of belgians, but this yeasty aroma is present in most belgian strains.
T: sweet, sugar- candy like taste, has a bitter after taste,
M: effervesent sparkle gives it a refreshing taste, light in body a

D: i can drink one of these and time to move on to something else, i get the feeling of a sugar rush if i had one too many of these, not my favorite style.

2.47/5  rDev -31.2%

Appearance - White one finger head with low retention. Crystal honey gold body with a small amount of visible carbonation.

Smell - Very banana and wheat, like a hefeweizen. Something sweet like honey or ripened fruit.

Taste - A bit acidic and sour with a fishy and/or copper aftertaste That aftertaste renders this beer completely undrinkable.

Mouthfeel - The best part about the beer. Full and very carbonated.

Overall Drinkability - The only reason I'd ever have this beer again is just to make sure it wasn't a bad bottle. I suspect that's not the case though. Best before end 26/05/12. Numbers below that are 4922:22.

2.5/5  rDev -30.4%

From a 12 oz.

Pours a clear brass-gold color with a moderate head that doesn't hang around too long, although a bit of lacing is everpresent.

Smells estery and a bit like bananas that are overripe. There's a weird kind of burned element to it, but not smokey.

The taste is also like bananas and stale bread.

Mouthfeel is full and fizzy.

What a disappointment. I saw "Belgian Abbey Ale" and thought that surely it had to be a little good. Not terrible but not worth having really either. Just kind of blah.

2.51/5  rDev -30.1%

Pours a crystal yellow color with a frothy white two finger head. There is some lacing to be seen. The aroma is of clove, spice, and a slight fruit smell. The taste is of a sweet malt. There is also a taste of banana faintly and some clove. The mouthfeel is a little stingy and moderately carbonated. Overall you could have more than one but nothing to make you want to have a sixer.

Leffe Blonde from Abbaye de Leffe S.A.