Leffe Blonde - Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Leffe BlondeLeffe Blonde

Abbaye de Leffe S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-21-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leffe Blonde Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,303 | Hads: 3,536
3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Appearance: A very inviting bright gold-orange color with a white head a generous inch high. About 1/8 of an inch of head remained on the beer throughout.

Smell: A sweet, citrusy aroma - very inviting.

Taste: Sweet citrus again - very tasty. Very balanced - not noticeably malty or hoppy.

Mouthfeel: Full mouthfeel almost bready, but in a positive sense. I like beers that have a nice full mouthfeel.

Drinkability: This is an very good tasting beer - I could sip my way through a few of these.

Finally got to try this from the tap! Had it at the Hop Devil Grille in NYC just before seeing Jerry Gaskill perform at Arlene's Grocery.

My tasting notes are the same as my bottle review (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/470/2137/?ba=EPseja) but with these exceptions:

A - The head on this one was rocky, dense and unkillable! It stayed strong throughout and left a thick curtain of lacing down the sides of the Leffe glass (shown in the picture). Really nice, just like the bottle version.

S - Same as the bottle review, but with a slightly sweeter candy-sugar smell on top of all of the other delicious scents.

T - Organic notes were bolder on tap, which for me improved the character. There were also notes of sweetness that helped keep the alcohol in check.

M - Much creamier and rounder in the mouth -- carbonation is definitely under control -- but still with a very slight touch of alcohol aggressiveness.

D - The improved smell, taste and mouthfeel of the tap version of this beer naturally improves its drinkability as well. A marked difference from the bottle.

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

Picked up a loner 12oz bottle off the shelf at Galco's and emptied it into my handy Duvel glass. Had a clear golden color, a decent level of fine carbonation and a bleached white head that was foamy but left scant lacing.
Nose was primarily loaded with fruity sweetness bearing indicators of pear and peach. Also a fair amount of sweet grains similar to a fresh-cut hayfield, some herbal hops and a hint of coriander.
The taste was grainy and rather wheat-like initially. Fruity esters took over as the tastes of orchard fruits came out. Still, these flavors weren't all that powerful on the palate and the finish was noticeably lacking in spiciness compared to others of the style. It lacked the peppery bite and touch of herbal hops I was expecting after I smelled it. The feel was medium-bodied and bordering on syrupy.
Overall, Leffe Blonde was too slickly sweet to be a really enjoyable brew. Maybe more of a throwback to what earlier Belgian pale ales were like but it can't compete with today's spicier offerings.

3.7/5  rDev +3.1%

It had been over three years since I last had this beer and I didn't have fond memories. How things have changed (including my luck I'm guessing). Pours medium to light amber, not much fogginess, with a semi-dense thick white head that faded slowly and laced well. The nose was rather unremarkable with some acidity and citrus and something I can only describe as 'warm' coming through. Starts off with a bit of spice and chewiness on the tongue. Makes way for spice with bread, good carbonation feel. Leaves a distinct, but light enough, hoppiness on the finish. Feels good, drinks well. Either I've changed a lot or I got a better set of bottles.

3.39/5  rDev -5.6%

Presentation: Poured from 11.2 oz bottle into hotel glass. The glass was too small, so I had to fill twice.

Appearance: Very clear yellow with thin white head. Belgian abbey styles don't usually look this clear to me...

Smell: Slightly bready yeast. Actually a good smell, but not very strong.

Taste: The flavor was OK, with malty breadiness, but it wasn't rich enough for me.

Notes: For the price ($1.80), not bad. But I can find excellent examples of Belgian ales easily, so why try this twice?

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Ahh, good old Leffe. This beer is standard fare in almost all the bars in Paris, and while I did drink some while I was there I did not review it until I came home. Fancy that. For the record, I sampled this at Eulogy Belgian Tavern in Philadelphia.

Came to me as a copper hued beer atop which rested a one finger head. No carbonation was seen, but pleasant rings of lacing were left as the beer went down. Aroma of light malt. Taste was light with a bubble gum quality to it. Light malt shows through in the flavor as well. Mouthfeel was tingly. While this isn't the best Belgian beer in the world, it was perfect for the summery day I sampled it on. I'd drink it again.

4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

This is a beer that I've had many good experiences with...time to review it.

Pours with a frothy medium head, dark yellow colouring, and mild lacing....smells of apple and caramel... I can hardly wait.

Spicy, wheaty, complex, not too soft in the mouth, slight and not unpleasant bitterness. Plum flavours. Never feels thin in the mouth. This is a strong character beer.

Good price for an excellent Belgian. it may not be my favorite in this style, but it is a style I love, so I'll keep coming back.

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

Served in an actual Leffe Blonde glass as pictured in the description. Nice to find this on tap at Bushwakker's.

Beautiful gold colour and clear. Big frothy off-white head. Nice lacing.

My first thought upon smelling this was fresh apples. But I couldn't find this afterwards. More spices than fruit with cloves and ginger leading the way. A little light malt in the background.

Taste: Cloves at the start, then some malt before the carbonation cuts through, then lots of ginger at the finish. Aftertaste is spicy. I think I tasted vanilla for a few sips towards the end.

Light bodied and moderately fizzy, leaving a little oily feel in the mouth.

This isn't my typical type of beer, but it's really interesting. I wouldn't want to drink this everynight, or in a session, but it's a pretty good beer.

3.41/5  rDev -5%

Bottle was dated 19/09/06

It pours a mostly clear golden amber color with a tall, long lasting billowy white head. A steady stream of fine bubbles constantly rises through the beer.

Aroma is a straightforward blend of banana, cotton candy and vanilla (with perhaps a bit of caramel corn and maybe even some circus peanuts to complete the allusion.) If that makkes it sound bad...well, it's not- though it does need a touch more phenolic complexity to take it to the next level.

The flavor is even more streamlined- mostly bananas and candy- and it is full on the palate as well. There is a decent touch of alcohol keeping the whole thing in check. The finish lingers on vanilla beans for a while.

It's a decent beer, but not something I could see drinking all the time as it could become cloying real quick.

3.19/5  rDev -11.1%

Leffe Blonde...

Appearance-pours a grand colored blonde orange with a decent three fingered head, the head sticks around nicely.

Smell-fairly clean, slight hoppiness and fruit but the smell seems unfortunetely filtered, more clean than a normal Belgian.

Taste-whispers of fruit cloud around the alcohol purges, spicy hops surround it, candy cane sugar as well.

Mouthfeel-slightly alcoholic but overall goes down smoothly with decent flaovor and sugary aftertaste.

Drinkability-Alcoholic and really sweet for the average beer drinker, but this an alright beginner's Belgian for somebody like myself.

Overall-this Belgian is really filtered, which is a shame because it seems like beneath this filtering there is a monster waiting to come out, a shame it's full potential wasn't reached.

2.53/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

whopping head with massive fizzy big carbonation and a perfectly clear view right through the body. Thats where I have a problem is the ultra clear super filtered appearance and it truly translated into a beer without character. candy like smell and the usual belgian yeast coming through. I had many beers this day and this was the worst of the bunch...I had this beer second before the next three which were all grand cru's so this is not a victim of circumstance. Not one of my favorite belgian pale ale's to put it nicely and I would recommend you skip this pup.

4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

Belgian brews are quickly becoming my favorite and I'm happy to say that this style from Leffe does not disappoint.

The appearance is a beautiful golden amber, shifting from dark around the edges to a much lighter tone towards the center of the glass. There is moderate carbonation and a lovely, thick and foamy head pours out on top. The foam also holds well, something I always seek in my brews.

The aroma contains malt odors that dominate, with a nutty overtone and soft hints of caramel. Slight perfume qualities linger about and give the fragrance a delicate, and welcoming, touch.

The taste, like the smell, is mainly comprised of malts and nuts. Drinkability is solid and the ABV % is a non-factor here. Carbonation is present and could be toned down slightly, though it's not overpowering. The mouthfeel is nice and slick, resulting in a refreshing brew. Aftertaste is a bit sour, however, and some of the sweet undertones found in the aroma did not surface well through the taste.

I've had a lot of enjoyment with this beer and I'd definitely recommend it, especially for fans of belgian ales.

4.44/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I got this from a friend who only drinks Belgians. I drank this in a Kasteel glass.

Pours an almost clear deep gold with a faint orange tint. One finger head of white foam which drops to islands and a ring. Not much lacing. A little disappointed in that.

Aroma is real fruity; tropical fruits like mangoes and pineapple. Maybe some citrus. Slightly phenolic, but not strong. A little spicy. No real discernable hop aroma, but some bready pale malts are in there.

Tastes of sweet mangoes, pineapples, tart lemons and oranges. Spicy black pepper and other spices. Nice bready/yeasty malt base, and just enough hop bitterness for balance. I like this! Alcohol is present as it warms. Aftertaste is a very long and really pleasant fruitiness.

Mouthfeel is incredibly smooth. Carbonation is soft, with a luxurious sweetness filling your whole mouth. I cannot get over how smooth this beer is!

At 6.6% ABV, this will hurt you. But, it is so smooth and drinkable, I bet you can't drink just one!

3.64/5  rDev +1.4%

Second time i was able to try this beer, but this sampling is much more valid considering the first time i had it i was on the third bar (firewater's - just outside of west chester on rt. 202 - 50 different beers on tap - 100 different bottles 24/7) of a 6-bar barcrawl. Picked up a case in sort of celebration of an old friend coming to visit.

Pours a dark peach-amber with huge, uneven, lingering head with rush of carbonation from bottom to top for about 30 seconds after pour then dropping off into a steady flow of bubbles.

Smell is sweet, sour citrus with a scent like dried apricots and a bit of undiscernable spices.

Taste is pretty good though nothing really to write home about. The citrus and apricot is felt throughout but not clear enough to actually be really sweet with a bit of alcohol hitting the back of the throat. Not too much to make it undrinkable but enough to create some warmth.

Mouthfeel is pretty slick and drinkability is easy but not one to down in quick succession. Leaves a sugary stickiness on the lips and a kinda thick syruppy feeling in the throat.

Offered to friends who requested Bud Light. Some returned to me to finish myself and some drank it out of politeness. However, none of them had any complaints about the keg of Milwaukee's Best.

3.72/5  rDev +3.6%

Picked up a six pack from Trader Joe's in the DC area. Poured into a pint glass. Color was a nice amber and clear. First thing I noticed was a very intense spiciness, but not too overpowering and somewhat inviting. Spicy taste throughout and had almost a dry feel in the mouth. Very palatable and a good brew for the summer. Enjoyed this beer and would purchase again, particularly during the summer as a nice thirst quencher.

4.06/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11.2 oz bottle "best before end 13/08/06"

Lots of pretty white foam above clear yellow-gold. Some lace.

Sweet cut-hay scent becomes more of a syrup sweetness as the head dies down.

The foam tastes yeasty. An impression of wheat runs through bready malt with lemony finish.

Wheaty thickness to the body with light carbonation. Very easy to drink.

A solid beer that melds very nicely with food, especially salty foods like yakitori.

4.13/5  rDev +15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this one up in a SAQ in Quebec figuring it was worth a try. Turns out I was very right. Even in a bottle this one poured a dark golden honey color with a gorgeous head leaving lots of lace. Moderate carbonation and a fruity smell that's not unpleasant, and hops can definitely be detected with a good whiff.

The real selling point for me though is the taste. It's a little on the sweet side without being cloying. Like the color, the taste is a bit honey-ish, with a quality aftertaste, and it goes down easy.. perhaps too easy, as it would be entirely too easy to drink a few too many of these. Overall a very palatable beer that I would pay to drink again, and one of the better Belgian blondes I've tried.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

I have been enjoying Leffe Blonde for awhile. I first discovered it while pub hopping in London last year. It was different from the other great English draft ales that I had been drinking. Back in the USA, I noticed that it was available at Taco Mac in Atlanta. Fortunately I had to return to Europe on business this spring and got to drink Leffe Blonde at Heathrow Airport, Amsterdam, and best of all in Brugges (Belgium). There is an Irish pub next to the Crown Plaza there that had Leffe Blonde on tap and it was truly excellent. My associates and I sampled many different trappist ales while in Belgium, but Leffe Blonde was available in most bars and we loved it! Some people are voicing negative opinions about this beer because it is now being distributed internationally by a large cartel. If that enables me to enjoy it more often in Atlanta, then I can't view that as a bad thing. Try Leffe Brun-its even better!

4.42/5  rDev +23.1%

Aroma: sweet, alcoholic and spicy. A little wine-like. A clean smelling beer; not as "organic" as most Belgian ales. Slight vegetable scents from the wheat. Tart and thin smelling. All tones are subtle, except the alchohol.
Appearance: Just off-clear and straw, nicely carbonated. Dainty white head that disapeared about half way through the beer. Laces very well.
Taste: Well matured sweetness pronounced at the nose. Fruity on the edge of pears, peaches, and apricots. Rounds out quite nicely in the body. Medium but bold body. Alcohol quickly jumps out to cut the sweetness. Low but apropriate hop flavoring and bittering helps to keep this beer from tasting too wine-like. Spicy aided by the hops and by the yeast. Delicate fruit citrus and tartness detected in the body and follows throughout. Drying toward the finish.
Aftertase: Dry and tart. sweetness thinned by the heat. Flavors that don't linger too long.
Impression: A delicate, yet bold beer. Nicely complex in its flavors and power. It'll sneak up on you. I do recommend this beer. I always have at least one in my fridge; even better on tap.

3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

Purchased at LCBO in Sarnia, Ontario. Pours a copper hue with a full yellowish head. Carbonation is low and nose produces yeasty and sugary sweet. Flavor is slight fruity but big honey like. Body is full and syrupy and comes in after the tide of honey. Aftertaste is long.

3.7/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a pinkish, orange colour with a foamy white head. Lots of visible carbonation action in there. Something about the colour looks pleasant to me. Plenty of lacing gets left behind.

Smell is a mix of belgian yeast, candy sugar and a wet grass type smell. Maybe a hit of lime in there as well. Not a bad smell at all.

Taste runs from sweet candy front to finish that is a bit clovelike. The beer reminds me of a hefe-weizen in the finish. Taste is overall good, but not what I was expecting for the style.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the coarse side, mostly from the carbonation being on the high end. Drinkability is pretty good, it drinks like a hefe-weizen.

Overall a tasty beer, just seems to have a bit of an identity crisis. I'd call it a hefe weizen made with a belgian type yeast.

3.26/5  rDev -9.2%

Appearence: Pours a light gold with a thin, quickly fading white head.

Smell: The smell is a sweet malty aroma filled with candi sugar, but seems a bit bland to me. There's no complexity.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The taste is light and crisp. The yeast and malts are quite present and balance each other out quite nicely. The taste is refreshing, but not as complex as I had hoped. The mouthfeel is medium bodied.

Drinkability and Overall: This is a decent Belgian beer, but honestly doesn't hold a candle compared to what else is coming out of Belgium. A bit too expensive for what's inside the bottle in mu opinion.

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle, served at a restaurant in refrigerated and completely inappropriate glassware. As it was my first Belgian Pale Ale of the non-heavy variety I wasn’t sure what to expect. Poured sparkling clear golden colour with two fingers of bubbly head that lasted well and left heaps of lacing. When I smelt it, I thought there had been some sort of labelling error, as it smelt just like a German kristallweizen - all bananas and cloves. Same with the taste. What the...? Only difference was the mouth feel was a little heavier than the average kristall. Will definitely come back and re-rate this after more experience with the style.

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

The beer of choice on my recent carribean vacation as it was readily available in cases at the local grocery store . this is a nice beer, at 6.6% abv, it is very drinkable, with a nice full flavor, but not to big or complex, for sitting around the pool.i will probably have at least 3 cases of this stuff while on vacation, 10 days in the carribean sun will make you thirsty, so i sould know this beer back and fourth by the time i get home. All in all a good beer, nice flavors, sweetness up front, slightly malty, with a nice tang. definetly a good choice for a nice session.

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

Had the fairly rare opportunity to have this on tap, courtesy of JP McGrady's in Bethlehem, PA. Oh, but those Belgians do make fine stuff.

Pleasing golden color, not quite consistent with blonde nomenclature. Large, full head with good staying power. The smell was a pleasing combo of yeast with some fruitiness. Very good taste with almost no bitterness. It hides the high ABV nicely. The mouthfeel is rich, almost syrupy, but the ample carbonation keeps things from sticking to the palate for too long. Quite drinkable but perhaps a little too sweet and heavy for a marathon drinking session.

Leffe Blonde from Abbaye de Leffe S.A.