1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Leffe Blonde - Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Leffe BlondeLeffe Blonde

good

poor

Abbaye de Leffe S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-21-2001)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Ratings: 2,527 | Reviews: 1,195 | Show All Ratings:
a0lbudman

Alabama

3.81/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A-clear gold with a large white head that leaves a good lace on the glass
S-yeasty, banana, and spicy
T-banana with a slightly tart aftertaste that leaves with a dry finish
M-clean, soft, and smooth
O-has all the flavor most belian style beers do, good beer leaves you wanting more

12-11-2013 03:57:58 | More by a0lbudman
Siegenthaler

2.79/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Celebrating day 2 of BEER ADVENT.

I have had this belgian a few times in the past but not for a while. Popped the foil-covered cap and poured into a belgian goblet. Pours crystal clear with a golden-apple juice look brightening in color when viewed from a different angle. The head is my favorite aspect of this beer. Beautiful off-white bubbles of varying sizes and good retention. Frothy surface down to the last sip.

Smells a bit like apple juice with a yeast bread background and slight hints of holiday spice. Not a beer where I want to keep sticking my nose back in the glass for more. Tastes like it smells with slight hints of banana and Belgian-sugary sweet candy. The taste went from sweet to sweeter to too sweet as it warmed in my glass. The last few sips left me wanting to put something else in my mouth ASAP. Thin body but big bubbly carbonated feel fills your mouth quickly.

I would drink it again if I was offered some but wouldn't go out of my way to get more.

12-02-2013 23:13:16 | More by Siegenthaler
RandomExile

Maryland

3.46/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Translucent orange/gold; very full, light foamy head with a lingering surface film; open lacing
S: lightly malty, banana, yeasty
T: Per the smell, but quite sweet, malty, yeasty, with a finish of fruit
M: Light-bodied, but a "full" feel, smooth and mildly creamy
O: Pretty good, maybe just a bit too sweet. I noted the Leffe website describes it as an aperitif beer, and I can really see pairing a single glass with plates of fruit and a medium brie with sour crackers or bread.

750mL / $4.99

10-28-2013 05:13:39 | More by RandomExile
zac16125

South Carolina

3.93/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

11.2oz bottle into a tulip
Best before: 12/10/14

A: Pours a crystal clear golden orange with 2.5 fingers width of slightly off white colored head. Head has excellent retention and leaves lots of lacing.

S: Belgian-y banana esters, yeast, spice, a bit of citrus. Excellent.

T: Lots of spice, clove, pale malts, some bitterness, Belgian yeast banana esters lingers for a long time on the finish. At first I think its great, but the bitterness builds throughout the drink and that detracts significantly from the other flavors which I find more enjoyable in this style.

M/D: Full bodied, heavy carbonation, drinkability is good.

O: Overall, I enjoyed this one. Well above average in my opinion. Id definitely drink this again.

10-11-2013 23:38:50 | More by zac16125
HoppyBastard

Nebraska

3.11/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 25.36 ounce corked bottle into a shaker pint glass.

APPEARANCE: golden and clear with medium carbonation and 1 finger head with good retention and decent lacing.

SMELL: faint banana and spice, subtle and understated.

TASTE: taste follows nose, there is very little hop profile and not much going on here. It was not unpleasant but underwhelming.

PALATE: light body and medium carbonation, slightly creamy.

OVERALL: this beer did not offend nor did it particularly impress me. there are better Belgian ales to be had so I will probably not buy this again.

10-11-2013 01:31:36 | More by HoppyBastard
vinylbeer

3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

For the money... $7.00 and some change. It's a really good beer! Light with a nice light banana taste. Reminds me of my time spent in Germany. Is it the best... no.! But, I buy it quite often, because for the money... you won't find a better beer in this style! Simply put, it is a quality beer, that won't disappoint.

10-02-2013 22:11:00 | More by vinylbeer
Beerriver

Washington

3.28/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I found this to be beer to be interesting in the fact that I drank the first half of this cold and the second half warm. I rated it in the site fields as warm (which I really enjoyed).

Here is my cold rating which I did not care for.

Cold:
smell: 2.5
taste: 2.25
mouth feel: 2.25
overall: 2.25

10-02-2013 00:55:03 | More by Beerriver
upton7418

3.36/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A: very clear golden yellow color with a small head that remain like a ring...the head stay around the rim of the glass but dissipates in the center

S: very fruit smell the turns bready as it warms I prefer the dark belgians but not bad

T: the fruit smell transfer into the taste leading the a light bready taste. there is also a spice the comes into the taste as it warms the more it warms the bubblegum flavor begins to come through at the very end as it warmed the banana came through very strongly

M: Strong carbonation that maintains through the glass but actually smooth going down.

O: better than i expected but i wish there was a little less carbonation i'm happy i tried it but would go to Duval before i went back to this.

09-28-2013 11:34:30 | More by upton7418
TWebb

South Carolina

1.29/5  rDev -63.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Someone left the beer out in the yard...
Really, rather than drink Leffe Blonde, try this instead (it's cheaper, more sanitary, and tastier):
find the cheapest, nastiest malt liquor. Pour some in an open bucket. Get a dead mouse. Drop it in. Catch 6-8 live cockaroaches. Throw them in. Stomp and kill 3-4 more cockaroaches. Throw them in. Let this sit out in 90 degree heat for 5 days (cover if rain approaches). Pour it back in the bottle, being careful to spill as much as possible, and put it in the refrigerator. Never ever drink it. Give it to the beersnobbiest person you know and tell them it's the newest high dollar Belgian thing. Just watch and listen. They will swirl it around, think for a moment, and tell you it's much like Leffe Blonde, only better.

09-28-2013 00:25:42 | More by TWebb
alphagnome

Iowa

3.43/5  rDev -3.1%

Appearance:
Pours a great, golden hue that is incredibly clear. Topped by a porous, thick white head that leaves plenty of lacing. Carbonation is nearly undetectable.

Aroma:
Very typical of a Belgian beer: Sweet and spicy. Sweet corn and corriander. Light banana and Belgian yeast.

Taste:
Sweet. A fair amount of malt plays host to notes of honey, bananas and cloves. Sweet corn is in abundance here. Concludes with some zesty, earthy hop characters. Enjoyable at first, but started to wear on me half way through the 11.2 ounce bottle.

Mouthfeel:
A decent amount of carbonation is detectable. Refreshing but too sweet. Fairly light body.

Overall:
I found myself enjoying this one less and less as I drank more and more. A lot of welcome Belgian characters to speak of, however, I think they could have been executed better. Worth a try, so long as you are away of the sweetness within.

09-24-2013 03:15:16 | More by alphagnome
wbason

3.48/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A Crystal clear golden appearance with a white head and lots of carbonation. Head dissipates rather quickly. Not bottle conditioned.

S Smell is of banana, biscuity malt, spicy.

T The phenolic banana that dominates the aroma is not as present in the taste. Pear, green apple, slight citrus, and spice take over. This beer is on the sweet side of balanced but not in an unpleasant way. Bready malt character is faintly present.

M Prickly carbonation helps to break up what would otherwise be a rather viscous mouthfeel. The carbonation perhaps helps to dissipate the sweetness over the palate.

O Despite the mass production of a style that typically benefits from its humble roots, this beer is above average. The sweetness is a bit much for me (for the style) however, this beer did go down quite easily. I beer worth trying, not one to revisit.

09-08-2013 00:16:58 | More by wbason
pweis909

Wisconsin

3.34/5  rDev -5.6%

With golden color and and persistent, billowy head, this beer looks nearly perfect. I hold out on the full 5.0 because, it is in fact, crystal clear. This is me, sticking it to them, for filtering and force carbing a style that is traditionally bottle conditioned. A minor ding.

The smell of this beer conveys banana esters and clove phenolics, followed by a doughy, bready quality. It is like banana walnut muffin batter. These aromas are potent. Some may think too much so,.

The taste of the beer is balanced towards sweetness. While sweetness does complement the muffin analogy I drew above, it also limits the utility of this beer. It is cloying, to the point that two is too many, and that is a problem, in my mind.

I also find the beer viscous and heavy. This mouthfeel and body is the antithesis of what I expect to find in a Belgian blond ale.

Ultimately, this beer is a bit one dimensional and heavy.

09-01-2013 01:09:09 | More by pweis909
Nordine98

3.86/5  rDev +9%

Given I am from Belgium, Leffe is a stapple in most bars and at all great parties. Not what people call a great beer, but what people drink very often because it is pleasing to most and quite reasonable in price. Also not a beer we typically drink to taste. So this is a first. Let's try to taste and describe this. The difference between the blond and brown is significant so for the refreshment qualities, I opt for the blonde.
I opened this one up for the mid day break and it poured just fine. The head was high at first but quickly disappeared to almost none. Maybe a sign...
Very low smell, but clean and beer smell (yep). A hint of banana maybe.
Great crisp gold/ copper color.

Definitely feels like it had better days, the fizz is almost absent.
However, taste is there. Not really a hoppy beer, there is some serious complexity to it and not for everyone. I don't know why I like it but I do. Not yeasty, some hints of fruits.
Damn. All gone. Let's go back to the fridge...I wish I could share these westies...That's a lot of them just for me...

08-18-2013 22:05:28 | More by Nordine98
55bob

4.51/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I'm not a big fan of Belgium ales but at $4.oo for 750ml how could I resist. This bottle had a Champaign cork that came out with minimal effort.

Poured a nice deep golden yellow with a huge white head that left lots of lace on the glass.

Aroma was sweet with a bit of sour but the fruit was definitely up front.

Carbonation was just right. The yeast flavor was minimal and not sour.

Like Belgium ales it was complex with light fruit (banana) a touch of sour, a sweetness others my find too much but not me. For me the sweetness balanced well with the tart. Great balance of hops and malt with neither dominating the other.

I was really surprised how much I liked this beer and would recommend it to anyone wanting to try Belgium for the first time.

08-05-2013 00:48:18 | More by 55bob
Libationguy

Nevada

3.6/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Brilliant deep gold color with some copper hues. Lively carbonation in the glass. Off-white 2-finger head that has a moderate retention.

Cantaloupe, citrus, cilantro, celery seed, marzipan, wheat, over-ripe banana, melba toast. The overall feel of the nose is slightly reductive, but not in an unpleasant way.

The palate does not carry the reductive quality of the nose nearly as much. Sweet to the point of being slightly excessive. Banana, wheat, honeydew melon, lightly browned butter, white pepper, bubblegum and bread crust.

Medium bodied and slightly creamy. Carbonation is lively, but not excessive for the beer. Some alcohol heat on the finish. Slightly grainy on the extreme finish.

An interesting beer that shows many sides. Felt like it was a little too reductive.

07-28-2013 17:00:28 | More by Libationguy
jjamadorphd

4.21/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I am convinced now, beyond a shadow of any doubt that my favorite type of beer is an Abbey Ale. Damn, I love this stuff...

Leffe Blonde is a Belgian Abbey Ale that is absolutely great. It pours out a dark, honey colored, and with the thickest, whitest head I have ever seen - it truly is beautiful. This head has staying power, all the way down the chalise (which is the way to have this brew, trust me.) The scent from the beer is unique - not your normal hops and malts, but more citrus, coriander, and spices that mix together to provide an aroma unlike any other. It feels good, a little too much carbonation for my taste, but I can easily overlook that. Leffe has an aftertaste, but it's the kind you don't mind, really.

When I saw this at the local speciality shop, and saw it was an abbey ale, I had to try it - it was a birthday present afterall, and one that I just cracked open to my delight.

If you drink, please, don't drive. And if you're gonna drive, for cryin' out loud, don't drink. Stay safe!

07-26-2013 21:33:22 | More by jjamadorphd
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

4.1/5  rDev +15.8%

Sampling right now on 3/9/14 but it has been over a year ago since I had one. 330ml (11.2 oz.) bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a tulip glass.

Pours lighter/medium amber with a 2-finger white foamy head that settles down to a thin layer on top. LOTS of sticky lacing. The aroma is of a fruity yeast and malt. Taste was sweet with even a hint of banana. Goes down easy. Overall, I was pleased with this one.

07-26-2013 21:01:39 | More by BeerWithMike
DenisKolkin

Ontario (Canada)

3.46/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

330 ml bottle poured into pint glass.

Appearance - Slow pour into pint glass yields 1 finger of head quickly dissipating. Small amount of lacing sticks around for the duration of the beer. Color is golden and with minimal opaqueness.

Smell - I'm picking up faint caramels and significant amounts of candied corn. Not bad but not as good as I remember. Still a lot more on the nose than many beers.

Taste - Very sweet up front and very refined almost overly filtered. Again quite tasty , but the aftertaste is strangely bitter.

Mouthfeel- Smoothly refined, but due to the sweetness of the beer there is almost a syrupiness to the feel. Moderate carbonation helps cuts through most of this.

Overall - I know it seems like I'm bashing this beer a bit, but my memories of he first time I had this beer were amazing. This was before I had investigated many styles and was even willing to try some beers. Upon a second reflection and reevaluating this beer, I come to recognize that it is still a very tasty beer, just not as good as good as others in the style I think it's the overall sweetness of the beer and lack of counterbalancing that creates this effect. However, if you're looking for beers to offer to friends to try to get them to expand their horizons this might be an option.

07-12-2013 22:38:26 | More by DenisKolkin
yeastlovehoppiness_greg

Iowa

4.33/5  rDev +22.3%

This is one of my favorite beers. Mostly I was surprised by how much flavor it had for such a light beer. It's a clear honey color, can smell a little hops but it smells a lot like banana. It has a light wheat and banana taste. (I know there are no bananas in it) The fizz on the tongue is refreshing. A good summer beer.

07-09-2013 00:19:54 | More by yeastlovehoppiness_greg
ale1

3.51/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

i found this at Moe's beer store Center St Jupiter,fl

appearance : poured into a pint glass, straw colored with almost a 4 finger head which goes away slowly, medium lacing, no yeast cloudiness or in the bottom of the bottle

nose : cinnamon, coriander , wheat

taste: butter, with weissbeer dry finish, hops not noted
no barley malt hardly at all

kind of light compared to other Belgian ales we have tried.
leffe weissbeer would tell the buyer better what it is, resembling Tucher Weissbeer

07-07-2013 00:26:59 | More by ale1
apants007

4.14/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

drank it straight from the bottle.... expecting a good laugh...

a: good lookin' bottle i guess... kinda pretentious with not enough of the tongue in cheek manliness I expect from a delicious brew...

s: hmmm... well that actually has something coming out of the pipes... it smells like you just walked into a bakery that just brought out the almond croissants...

t: man, this tastes like a hippy girls armpit wrapped up in a biscuit... it's like patchouli almond lavender jam on a bizquik biscuit.... in a good way...

mf: tight carbonation, subtle aftertaste... i like it in my mouth...

i didn't think i'd like this beer... I thought it would be in the Newcastle or 1667 range at best... but it is damn good. I will drink this as much as possible in the near and far future!

06-26-2013 03:58:30 | More by apants007
wedge

3.55/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Sparklingly clear gold with a small, creamy looking white head that settles to a bubbly topping. Clean, sweet grain, honey, Belgian yeast and pale dried fruit aromas. Flavors of yeast, banana, pear, grain, pepper, and clove. A little sweet, but still manages to stay dry enough to be refreshing. Medium light bodied and pretty well carbonated. Decent...

06-16-2013 19:33:33 | More by wedge
KYGunner

Kentucky

3.89/5  rDev +9.9%

Bright golden in color a bubbly, bright white head was fed continuously by a flood of carbonation. It's as if the beer is alive.

Very diverse in aroma the scent is strong enough to truly contemplate what's here. Clove, peppery spice, apple, honeysuckle and pear all make an appearance in a truly delightful scent.

Tastes a bit malty or doughy with banana, clove and some pepper spice. Perhaps a bit tame for such a brilliant aroma, I still find it wonderfully coy. The subtlety of the taste almost makes me want to drink more. This subtlety lends to feel as it is crisp, easy to drink, with a touch of heat in the chest.

06-02-2013 22:08:34 | More by KYGunner
JackieTH

3.58/5  rDev +1.1%

Golden with a thin skien of white foam. Not much lace. Smells of bananas, wheat and bubblegum. Taste is very banana forwardwith a hint of funk. Brightly carbonated on the tongue. Medium light mouthfeel. This one is pretty one dimensional but drinkable.

05-27-2013 00:49:44 | More by JackieTH
spoony

Colorado

3.5/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

From a 330 ml bottle (best by May 30, 2014) into a tulip.

A-This is a decent-looking beer with a nice, dense, shiny, three-finger-tall head of white foam. The head drops leisurely into a collar. The brew is clear, with very little active carbonation, and is a yellow-tinted golden color.

S-The smell is sweet, surprisingly boozy/hot for 6.6%, and fruity. I detect apple and pear fruit, as well as a touch of banana/clove-scented doughy yeast. No hops bitterness.

T-The taste is also quite sweet with a mild, medicinal kick from the alcohol. Still apple and pear fruit, but also some bubblegum, with only the faintest, herbal bitterness from the hops. Again, I'm surprised by how hot this beer is for 6.6%.

M-A slightly aggressive carbonation livens things up, but I can't agree with the label that the feel is "soft." On the contrary, feel is slightly firm and crisp.

O-I like sweet, fruity, Belgians as much as the next guy, but this brew lacks hop balance and the mouthfeel leaves a little something to be desired. What one gets is a slightly hot, fruity sweet jumble of flavors that don't seem to integrate with one another. Are the worse beers out there?Definitely, but with so many great Belgian pales/blonds, this is not one that I would seek out again.

05-09-2013 02:45:31 | More by spoony
Leffe Blonde from Abbaye de Leffe S.A.