Leffe Blonde - Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Leffe BlondeLeffe Blonde

good

poor

Abbaye de Leffe S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-21-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leffe Blonde Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,278 | Hads: 3,420
2.14/5  rDev -40.6%

I was shocked when I tasted this beer to review it, so shocked in fact that I am almost sure this is a bad bottle, and may not be representative of the beer. The best before date is September 2011. I have drunk this beer many times before but haven't touched it for about three years.

A: The colour was a rich golden brown, with head that dissipated suspiciously quickly, leaving no lace at all. I last drank Leffe Blonde a few years ago and I recall it being fizzy and lacy.

S: Lots of grain, and some hoppiness. Almost smelt like an adjunct lager. No esters or other discernable smells anywhere.

T: Alcohol, like drinking a shot of vodka and nothing else. The taste was vile. All I got was alcohol in my mouth. I am almost suspecting that someone spiked this bottle.

M: The strong alcohol taste pretty much killed it for me. Can feel next to nothing after that.

D: Shockingly bad.

The reason I am so shocked is that I used to LOVE drinking this beer until it became too pricey for me about three years ago. I came back to try this beer and was shocked at how bad it was. I am sure this review will change as I am really sure that this bottle was just from a bad batch. (1,177 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours smoothly and thick. The head develops into a soapy, extra thick wonder. The smell is only glorious. Clove and sweet Belgian goodness. Taste is slightly sweet in the front with a great hop finish. Wish it was unfiltered. Not too flowery, but nice and sour. The mouth feel is smooth. Smooth. Smooth. If you are looking for a Belgian Blonde, drink this beer.

Moreover, I don't how Todd from BA can justify giving this beer a 2.2/5. Yes there are better Belgian Blondes in the world, but for a large scale product, Leffe Blonde is great. (540 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

Leffe Blonde, my gateway into the wonderful world of golden Belgian ale. I have no idea why this is classified as a "Pale Ale" as there's nothing pale about this full-bodied beauty. Pours a nice golden hue into a Duvel tulip-glass. A bit heady which dies down much too quickly with light lacing. Smell is tart, bright and slightly clovey like a German Weizenbock. Mouthfeel is mellow carbonation and no trace of alcohol even though it's 6.6% alcohol. Tastes slightly sweet with a nice interplay of sweet yeasts against tart hops, leaning more sweet at first sip, almost like it's a Weissbeer with identify problems. Finish is smooth and you can't wait to take another sip. Now that Leffe is distributed everywhere these days (even my local WalMart has it), it's a great value for those seeking a nice, slightly-complex golden Belgian on the cheap. (847 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Really nice deep golden color. Nice head.

S: Fruity smell but less complex than I would expect from a blonde.

T: Sweetness too high and astringency too low. Not balanced enough for my taste.

M: Syrup.

O: Good but for price, not worth it. Others out there in this style that blow this away. Tastes industrial - lowest common denominator. (343 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

drank it straight from the bottle.... expecting a good laugh...

a: good lookin' bottle i guess... kinda pretentious with not enough of the tongue in cheek manliness I expect from a delicious brew...

s: hmmm... well that actually has something coming out of the pipes... it smells like you just walked into a bakery that just brought out the almond croissants...

t: man, this tastes like a hippy girls armpit wrapped up in a biscuit... it's like patchouli almond lavender jam on a bizquik biscuit.... in a good way...

mf: tight carbonation, subtle aftertaste... i like it in my mouth...

i didn't think i'd like this beer... I thought it would be in the Newcastle or 1667 range at best... but it is damn good. I will drink this as much as possible in the near and far future! (780 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +24.4%

This beer tastes as good as it looks. I do have to admit that I was a little disappointed that maize was used as an adjunct but given my love fro this beer I'll overlook it. The pour finished with a white creamy head that looks every bit as good as the advertisements. The taste was smooth and malty with a nice hop balance. This is the kind of beer you can have with pizza or a nice filet mignon. Excellent! (408 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Now here's an interesting beer. I generally don't like pale ales, but Leffe Blonde is pretty good. I'd say it's similar to (but better than) Goose Island's Honker Ale. I recommend pouring Leffe Blonde into a glass, so that you can experience the smell of it as well.

This beer isn't for average Joe. It's not a beer that you can have 8 of in an evening. But I plan on buying Leffe Blonde some time in the future - it's crisp, it's refreshing, it's a real nice Belgian ale.

Also, they have a pretty unique website (which I'm guessing Beeradvocate doesn't want me to include in my review). Go check it out. (606 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%

Tasting Notes: Stored in the fridge and served in my Ommegang (tulip-like) glass.

Aroma: Light, spicy hop aroma with a subtle yeast nose. Somewhat like the aroma of a pilsner or other lighter styles of beer.

Appearance: Deep gold color. Three finger (plus), off-white head with excellent retention leaving some trail. Crystal clear with many visible bubbles rising.

Flavor: Smooth with some sweetness and light, spicy notes. Medium hop flavor with some alcohol toward the finish. Well balanced overall.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation with some warmth in the background. Medium to light body and somewhat creamy.

Overall Impressions: Subtle (in flavor) Belgian ale. Very easy drinking and is a good Belgian style beer if the intent is to drink more than a few. Not my favorite Belgian, but OK. (796 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%

I was pleasantly surprise to stumble upon this beer at the shopette today in a small six-pack because I was going to get me some Leinies,I've been wanting to try this beer since a co-worker of might bought a case of Leffe brown...maybe he will give me a couple after reading this.

On to the beer...at first pour it made my mouth water with anticipation, creating a large index finger size head, leaving a nice lace as it dissipated as I was drinking it. The color was a nice deep golden amber that I like to see.

The smell hit the nose with a hint of sweetness and fruitiness, which i have learned that it is typical for this type of ale.

The taste was Awesome!!! With a perfect combination of sweet, spices and carbonation.

The drinkability of this beer is through the roof...I can easily drink at 12 pack of this in one sitting. (835 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +13.1%

Got hands on this through some beer trade with a fellow BA. Nice balanced brew that is very easy to drink. Nice Belgian PA

Pours a golden bright brew, along with a nice beige and creamy crown that lingers around. Sweet malts on the nose along with some ripe fruits and floral hints. Very near the smell. Sweet malts, fruits. Nice body with good balance with a nice bitter hints that do not overpower the brew. Great drinkability, good brew for any time. (454 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +20%

This is one of my favorite beers. Mostly I was surprised by how much flavor it had for such a light beer. It's a clear honey color, can smell a little hops but it smells a lot like banana. It has a light wheat and banana taste. (I know there are no bananas in it) The fizz on the tongue is refreshing. A good summer beer. (321 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +10.8%

The first time I tried it I hated this beer. But than I tried it again and allowed myself to enjoy it slowly. Thats how I saw how tasty it is! It's as if in each bubble of carbonation there is a spice hidden inside (214 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

This beer had a nice frothy head, a clear medium golden color and moderate to high carbonation.
Upon smelling and then tasting there were notes of spices on the nose. The most noticeable other flavor was a caramel flavor with a little sweetness that was followed by a moderate alcohol finish.
The best before date on the bottle was 10/10/08. I enjoyed this beer and may buy another six pack but Trippel is still my favorite Belgian style. Cheers (447 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

A Belgian Ale that pours a great golden color color. A romantic white head. A somewhat higher than average carbonation..almost like delirium. Interesting combination of yeast and friut. Not a very strong alcoholic presence in the brew. I can see it popular as a affordable Belgian product for a large American novice consumer. (326 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

A good example of a Belgian Blond. Nice rocky white head that was very large but fell a bit quickly. Straw colored and brilliant clarity. Phenolic nose. Nice yeast character in the taste along with a subtle fruitiness and grainy finish. Light bodied but full of character. (272 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Deep, clear golden color with an adequate, white head. Has some nice lacing.

S: Grainy, earthy, herbal, a little spicy and fruity, but nothing very strong.

T: There's a nice toasty sweetness with a little herbal/hoppy sharpness. Creamy honey comes in at first, but then there's a yeast taste that's kind of grainy in texture. It has a strange finish with the bitter yeast taste, but I wouldn't say that's bad.

M: Medium heaviness with nicely active carbonation.

D: Pleasant to drink and very smooth. Unique enough to give you a taste to think about, but it's not going to overwhelm you.

This beer is pretty satisfying, and it won't offend many palates. (661 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours an amber-yellow with a nice lingering two-finger head.

Smells of spicy cloves, and banana. A little yeast is also present in the aroma.

Taste is very similar to head and quite pleasant. Spicy cloves are dominant, along with some banana, raisin, bubblegum and citrus flavors. The clove lingers on the tongue and is accompanied by some hops.

Mouthfeel is crisp, refreshing and good.

This is a very drinkable beer and for its price, a very good representation of some better and more complex Belgian styles. I would not go to great lengths to seek out this beer, but would not turn it down in the future. (612 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Clear yellow-amber with a fluffy foamy head. Nice retention and lacing clinging to the glass.

S: Mild cloves, spicy and fruity. Faint hops in back.

T: A somewhat sweet and malty character, some spice and fruit there. Finishes dry and a bit tart.

M: Semi-thick and sturdy mouthfeel. Medium-body.

D: Easy to drink and very sessionable.

This is a very quaffable beer which will no doubt find its way to my fridge in the future. (432 characters)

This Belgian Pale Ale pours clear amber in color with a moderate white head that fades quickly to a fine lacy layer. The aroma is a mixture of banana and citrus. The flavor is that of banana, clove and citrus with a slight sweetness and a hint of pepper. the mouth feel is quite good with a lasting fine to moderate carbonation. Overall the flavor fades more quickly than superior Belgian pale ales such as Duvel's.

This is a great daily beer. It tastes especially good with soft pretzels and land jagers. (506 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +9.2%

Drinking it in Lebanon, and was poured into a typical beer mug. Great light golden colour, creamy white head that did not last very long. Hints of fruity goodness in the aroma. Nice light feel on the mouth, not over carbonated, and sweet taste. No overly bitter after taste. (274 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

A tasty, if one dimensional, Belgian blonde. Sweeter than most. Well carbonated, pours bright golden with an effervescent white head. Aroma of candy, clove, bubblegum. Flavor is sweet, estery, lacking a real malt backbone but pleasant enough. Not my favorite but good for drinking if other Belgians aren't available. (316 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

I poured this one out of a 11.2 oz bottle into a Duvel glass.

A - Clear golden color with a nice stream of carbonation and a fine lacy head over the top.

S - The smell of this one reminds me more of a heffe weizen than an abbey. It smelled a lot like Sprechers Tripel. I wasn't terribly impressed by the smell; but it was appealing to me.

T - This doesn't stack up to the beers I'd call Abbey Ales; but the taste is nice. It has a belgian sweetness but draws in some qualities that stand out in German beers I've had. It's hoppier, cooler and lighter than most of the Belgian beers I've grown to love.

M - This one is a little thicker than I expected. It's a little creamy...but not especially heavy.

D - If they cost the same, I'd drink this instead of Budweiser any day. (777 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -6.4%

A: Straw yellow on the edges to a deeper honey yellow. Light head that fizzles away quickly, a small but of lacing.

S: Banana, Apple, Butterscotch, Yeast

T: Similar to the smell, but the flavors are drowned out by sugary sweetness. A slightly sour finish.

M: Definitely carbonated, almost to the point of masking the flavor. Medium bodied, a bit prickly.

D: Not a spectacular beer. Without a great taste or complexity and a strong sweetness, I would probably get sick of this beer after another glass. (505 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - pours golden clear with minimal carbonation, frothy white head that disappears quickly. Aroma - smells of florals, clovey, sweet and fresh. Taste - light tasting, overall it is a sweet beer mouthfeel - lacks astringency is creamy overall - I get a fresh vibe from the beer, creamy sweet easy tp drink, appearance is excellent in a tulip glass and smell is memorable and appreciable. Would highly recommend and would drink again. (441 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

A- Clear gold straw with frothy white head. with the belgian lacey of course.
S- citrus, spice, slightly floral. typical for the style
T- citrus, spice, and malt yeasty aftertast. nicely in style very drinkable
M- medium body could be a little more sturdy but not all that bad
Very drinkable beer if you never had a belgian it is a nice example to work you into the genre. giver er a try (391 characters)

Leffe Blonde from Abbaye de Leffe S.A.