Leffe Blonde - Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Leffe BlondeLeffe Blonde

good

poor

Abbaye de Leffe S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-21-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leffe Blonde Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The romantic honey golden color of the pour excited me as the head formed with a white thickness and an invitation that I could not resist. At first the aroma the beer gave off a small earthy scent from the hops with a sweet malty overtone. The first sip was sweet nectar of honey and maltness and as that palate pleasure began to die, the full bodied-ness came over with a kick of the aged hops. The taste of the beer was inviting to drink more and it certainly got that very reception.
The first half of the glass was very pleasant with the head standing nicely for around four minutes. As the white rich head began to die towards the second half of the glass, the sweetness was still present but the hoppy crispness grew more. By the last sip, I was pleased with the experience. It was an enjoyable beer, and although I'm not a huge Belgian ale/blonde type of guy, I did enjoy Leffe.
The weight of the beer was a little surprising. I imagined the Leffe Belgian style pale ale would not be as heavy, but it certainly lived up to the full bodiedness that I heard about. I drank three in a row and was quite full.
This beer would be my choice for a young lady who isn't used to quality beer, or as a type of 'desert' beer after a large meaty meal and a couple stouts or heavier pale ales. Something I would refer my sister too more than a fellow Beer Advocate. I would certainly drink Leffe again and I encourage others to try it as well.

JBritt50, Feb 26, 2011
3.7/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Some friends of mine brought this over from Belgium. This is the beer I like to drink when I eat pizza or Chinese food.

Poured from a bottle into a snifter

It's golden yellow with a good finger of enthusiastic foam. Carbonation is noticeable.

Smells like you'd expect a Belgian Pale Ale to smell. Fruity, spicey and yeasty.

A little sweetnes in the mouth and some of the spices and yeast come through as well. Nothing big.

It's a remarable smooth drink, creamy even with planty of carbonation.

I always have one or two of these laying in my fridge. Since Friday night is pizza night around here Leffe Blond makes it to the diner table quite often. While I would not suggest to seek this one out for the beer geeks out there I would suggest to drink have this on hand if you live on my side of the pond. This can also be the gateway to better beers for the regular beer drinker.

doopiedoopiedoo, Feb 26, 2011
1.78/5  rDev -49.9%

A_Nice straw yellow color, medium head. Noted the carbonation.

S_Just OK, yeast aroma. This is followed by a bit of hay.

T_Like it smells... yeast and hay. The finish is dry with a ton of alcohol.

M_Medium feel with an alcohol linger. Liked the carbonation.

D_It's well made beer, just nothing that appealed to me. I won't bother with this again. The aftertaste was the final "straw".

KenC, Feb 26, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -14.6%

Leffe Blonde gots a goldish color with very little carbonation going on. Maybe it was my pouring (I don't know) but there was no head at all showing up. Restfull beer to watch.

Yeasty smell with small tones of bubblegum, which several reviewers have pointed out. The taste I think is pretty mild. Nothing to be braging about. The yeastiness hits the back of the throat in the aftertaste.

The thing is, I didn't remember this beer being so... boring. But it's an OK beer anyway. Worth a try.

nyabinghi, Feb 25, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A_Pours a straw to golden hue with a modest head. This settles into a permanent cap rather quickly which is supported by a steady stream of bubbles. Kind of mixed here.

S_The immediate aroma is of bubble gum yeast. This is followed by a bit of hay. Smells pretty good.

T_Hits very similar to the smell. The bubble gum yeast is there along with a moderate sweetness. There is a minor spiciness of clove that comes through after that and the finish is a bit dry.

M_Medium bodied to a bit sticky. Nice tight carbonation but it is missing something without a larger head.

D_This is a well made beer. Not Earth shattering but a solid choice. The alcohol % is surprising considering how easy it goes down.

sleazo, Feb 25, 2011

Poured from the bottle.

A- Pours a golden straw color. One and a half finger white head shows medium retention. Nice streaky lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Banana and clove really go into overtime in the nose covering the entire aroma. Peppery spicey notes as well in the front with a undertone of sweet malts. Bubblegum like notes as well in the backend. Light fruits also come into play in the aroma as well. Alcohol hints are more jumpy in the ending.

T- Once again like the nose it has a huge banana and clove taste with hints of belgian yeast as a whole. Sweet malts toward the middle with hints of stone fruit. Ending of the beer has a sweet honey like flavor with rock candi. Alcohol is coming about in the backend with a lot of heat more so than I remembered before this beer.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little high I thought for the beer. Clove and banana with a hint of sweetness left on the palate. Aftertaste is mostly alcohol heat, honey like sweetness, and light malts. High alcohol drying on the palate after each sip. Flavors were balanced toward what the style was. No real off flavors are present in the beer.

D- This beer is average to me. Nothing really screams out for me to drink more than a glass of it. The ABV is in the middle range but doesn't seem like it. The alcohol seems to pop out more like a 9 or 10 percent beer.

alleykatking, Feb 23, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -7%

from my notes: had this beer many many times and now it is time to finally review it. Poured into my de molen sniffer. The beer pours a yellow colour with a clear thick white stable head. Smell is yeast, sweet and a bit spicy. The taste is overall too sweet for the style, but it has some nice spicyness in it.also yeast seems too much present. Mouthfeel is good, biit thin but the carbonation nicely tickless the tongue. Overall an easy beer to drink when one is thirsty. Bit too sweet maybe and it lacks depth

rvdoorn, Feb 22, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -4.2%

11.2 oz bottle served in pint glass. Fresh bottle is dated best by May 14, 2012: more than a year away. No sediment in bottle.

The pint glass could just barely hold this 11.2 oz beer and it's considerable head; this from a restrained pour. The head dies back a bit quickly but has good retention and exceptional glass lacing. The enticing liquid itself is clear golden color that seems to glow. Substantial carbonation is evident.

Taste and smell are yeasty, spicy (cloves + ?) and sweet. The flavor is less sweet than the aroma suggests, a good thing. This will certainly prove too sweet or too heavy in clove flavoring for many. This is the case for me, but I enjoyed the interplay of yeast, malts and spices, as well as the mouthfeel and some other aspects of this Belgian blonde.

M - smooth but bubbly, with a slight creaminess on the tongue and a slight dryness in the finish.

chinchill, Feb 22, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Every time I review a Belgian white style, I continue to be disappointed. I should know by now that I just do not prefer the style. I know that I used to like Hoegaarden, and I have one in the fridge right now that I am hoping I will enjoy. Leffe Blonde reminded me of all the things I don't like about Duvel. It has a plastic-like yeast taste that I just cannot get into. I find that yeast presence very dominating, and it makes the beer hard to finish. The appearance was a nice golden color with a bubbly head. It does have an almost "slick" smoothness, but the taste really cut down on the drinkability for me.

beerdown77, Feb 21, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +7.9%

pours a lighter straw color. filtered with a lot of champagne like bubbles. Rich two finger head forms that is milky in color, and slowly fades away.
Very complex and wonderful smell. very sweet, and malty. bananas, and apples. Vanilla,
Sweet malts, with no bitterness whatsoever. bubble gum, and sugar. Dry. Cloves come out in the aftertaste. very enjoyable.
heavily carbonated. but balanced well. Being a belgian pale you dont expect much hops and this has little to no bitterness. drinks kinda light for being a "full bodied ale" as it states on the bottle.
impressively smooth, and tasty. Highly drinkable and enjoyable. I got this as a gift from my boss who toured the AB brewery. I had a lot of doubts because it was from AB. This is nothing like I expected.
Finises kinda boozy.

IIKaRuII, Feb 21, 2011

Appearance: Pours very clear and golden. A decent head.

Smell: Very faint clove and banana. Mostly bubble-gum-like aromas.

Taste: Malt sweetness with bubble-gum flavors. No real detectable hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light...thin.

Drinkability: Average. I used to think this was a great beer but after over a hundred different crafts & imports...I now see this for what it is...an average at best, commercial version of much better beers.

Brunite, Feb 20, 2011
3.65/5  rDev +2.8%

My first try at a Belgian Pale ALe (I think ) , so am reviewing based on BA description of the style
Somewhat darker than expected with a hint of redness.
Off white fine head is retained
Smells of yeast and cloves but a softness is picked up.
The smell wasnt misleading as yeast and cloves predominate and I thought the grian flavours were more along wheat , but perhaps it was the spicey qualities fooling me .
Fullsome and smooth with the 6.6%ABV stating its case.
I would think 1 of these at a time would do me , as it is not particularly I style that appeals to me

jarmby1711, Feb 18, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +5.1%

A: Apple juice amber, two finger head. Bubbles rising to the surface. White frothy head.

S: Apples, alcohol, mature fruit,spice.

T: Some yeast, honey, spice, alcohol, something I can't put my finger on.

M: Nicely carbonated, wet aftertaste, refreshing.

D: Nice light refreshing hot day beer. Not too thick like most Belgian abbey's but a 12 pack drinker at that!

beerlove82, Feb 16, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured from 11.2oz bottle into Duvel tulip. Best before 7/8/11.
A) Pours a slightly hazy gold with two fingers of eggshell-white head. Head is pillowy and composed of tiny bubbles. Leaves nice lacing in the glass.
S) Spicy nose, predominantly pepper and clove. Some fruitiness including banana and maybe some other light fruits. Reminds me a lot of a Hefeweizen with stronger alcohol notes.
T) Nice tasting beer. Similar to the nose, it is very Hefeweizen-like only stronger. I get a lot of that clove and banana. A slight hint of sourness. Lacks the bready malt and yeast flavors unique to Belgian beers. No bitterness to speak of.
M/D) Medium body with lots of very fine bubbles. A very crisp beer that crackles in the mouth. Very drinkable beer. Unlike many other Belgian ales, I could go for more then one of these in a session.

goalie33, Feb 15, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

330ml brown bottle poured into a Leffe chalice.

A. Gold coloured ale topped by a soapy/foamy white head.

S. Orangey, candy floss sweet aroma. One or two more citrus notes. Fresh strawberries.

T. Malty, sweet honey, candy floss, traces of dried fruit stones, slightly carbonated. A nice hop kick at the finish.

M. Medium bodied.

D. A really enjoyable Abbey beer (even if it is a commercial one) and along with a couple of other lighter coloured beers is a great summer thirst quencher.

AEK, Feb 13, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +11.3%

On tap at the Yardhouse at Colorado Mills.

Beer was brilliantly clear with no head to speak of. Smell and taste was of banana and bubble gum. Body was thin with no real sense of hopiness. A good vehicle for great Belgian yeast flavors without any bells and whistles.

SassyBootblack, Feb 10, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: blonde yellow/orange, 1 finger heard, ok lacing.

S: citrus (slight lemon zest/coriander), grain.

T: sweet citrus, light grain refreshing.

M: medium body, good carbonation, smooth.

D: Solid, not amazing. I have had better of the style, worth trying. Could have more than a few.

BeerLover99, Feb 08, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

This has always been a solid Belgian brew in my opinion and I don't get the low score it has received on here. Always a treat for me and it is much easier to find than many of the sought after Belgians.

A - Pours a golden blond with a big three finger foamy light tan head. Sticky lacing and good retention.

S - Plenty of yeast and Belgian spices. Even the aroma is slightly sweet and smells of candied sugar.

T - Sweet and spicy with hints of banana and clove. Not very hoppy but one wouldn't expect that it would be. Finishes slightly boozy and dry. Some bubblegum in the finish as well.

M - Smooth and creamy, leaves a slightly sticky feeling on the lips.

D - I have managed to drink a six pack of it before but I normally just like to sip on it and note how the flavors change as it warms up.

BeerPhan86, Feb 08, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -18.3%

Appearance: Pours with a solid one inch dense head, which stays around for several minutes. Golden yellow color. Very clear and visible bubbles. Leaves plenty of foam all down the glass.

Smell: The first note I got was bubblegum. Very sweet, with banana and other fruit esters.

Taste: Yes, it is a Belgium pale, but it isn't too complex. Sweet is the predominant flavor. Fruity, spicy, there's that bubblegum again.

Mouthfeel: For a Belgian, this doesn't have a lot of character. The finish is a bit too sweet, but it isn't objectionable.

Drinkability: If there are no other Belgian ales around, I could drink this without complaint. However, I would prefer many other examples. Moderate drinkability.

dbaker61, Feb 07, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours a brilliant gold with three fingers of loose head that collapses a bit too quickly to sticky lacing.

The aroma is wonderful. Yeast and malts with the characteristic Belgian spiciness. It's hard to imagine it getting any better than this.

The flavor leaves a little something to be desired. There's plenty of it - it's not watery in the least - but it's overly bitter which interferes with getting the yeast and malt flavors out of it. The bitterness lingers a bit too much as well.

The mouthfeel is surprisingly full - much richer than I anticipated. The carbonation is a little too robust but it probably helps to keep the bitterness in check.

Easy enough to drink. If it weren't for the overly bitter finish this would be an instant favorite.

mariposafan, Feb 06, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -5.6%

First time available at my local grocer, poured from a bottle into a DFH snifter:

A: pours a clear golden with a two finger head that fades into some lacing

S-some notes or clove and banana, a bit of Saisson here

T-follows the nose, but it seems kind of pedestrian

M-see above

D-ok, glad I tried it, but may not be quick to search it out again

aranheaney, Feb 06, 2011
3.65/5  rDev +2.8%

330ml bottle

A- Clear golden. A medium head fades away quicky but leaves a decent lacing

S- Yeast, with some fruity notes. A simple but delicate and sweet aroma

T- Sweet malts. Above them fruits, honey, herbs in the end. Hops are almost undetectable. This beer is very sweet but still delicate enough to support a good range of flavours

M- At times this beer feels almost like a syrup. But despite being so oily it still has a proper body that fills the palate nicely

D- You can't really detect alcohol, this beer feels like 5%ABV. I could drink a couple without getting tired, it is still enough complex

A fine brew

Cozzatoad, Feb 05, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -24.5%

A: Pours a crystal gold with a decent puffy head.

S: Cloves, banana, with a fruitiness.

T: banana and fruit sweetness, no real bitterness. Sweetness dominates this beer to a fault. It dries up some at the end, but the sweetness never really leaves completely and it is a very specific type of sweetness and I do not care for it very much. Almost nauseating.

M: Smooth, slightly creamy.

D: Too sweet. No thanks.

jeffaz02t, Feb 05, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +7.9%

A- Pale clear yellow body, white head which died out and left some nice lacing.

S- Streamlined consistent belgian yeast, light pear notes in spice.

T- Sugary bubblegum, juicy breads dipped in honey, yeasty breadiness.

M- Thick foamy and carbonated.

D- Very drinkable, theres better examples of the style but this is a good solid option that you can always find.

foogerd, Feb 04, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance is a dark gold, though not quite yellow, and has a white head that pours large and sinks swiftly. Appears filtered and no sediment in the bottle.

Smells like vanilla and clove with a hint of spiciness.

Taste is lemony, spicy, very clove-like with only a hint of banana in the finish. A little sour-bitter in the finish as well as a slight mineral-like brand.

Heavy, but not sticky. Feels substantial on the palate. Not as effervescent as others.

A fine example. I would rather have a Chimay or even a Unibroue beer, but cost-wise this is much less. I bought this serving as an individual bottle from the Jewel, a big grocery chain here in Chicago. For $2 per 12oz. not the worst.

tapman, Feb 03, 2011
Leffe Blonde from Abbaye de Leffe S.A.