Leffe Blonde - Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Leffe BlondeLeffe Blonde

good

poor

Abbaye de Leffe S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-21-2001)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leffe Blonde Alström Bros
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.38/5  rDev -4.5%

330ml from the Coop for about $1.70.. poured into my New Belgium snifter.

Big rocky head drops leaving significant lace chunks.. clear golden brew.

Very spicy aroma doesn't leave room for much else... cloves and whiffs of black pepper... light peachy/pear fruitiness... smells pretty sweet.

.. it is pretty sweet.. descent hop backbone.. but again spiciness dominates.. more fruitiness than the aroma.. more peaches and pears spiked with whole cloves... not overly complex but not horrible.. seems like a "supermarket" Belgian... Overall, just too sweet for me.

I've had Leffe Blond more than a few times, but now that I've reviewed it, I probably won't buy it unless I am going to be brewing a BPA and need some for comparison.

01-24-2008 07:55:26 | More by JohnGalt1
AlexF

Quebec (Canada)

3.48/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Versée, la Leffe Blonde a une couleur blonde foncée et un bon collet de mousse. Les bulles sont grosses et persistantes. Des lacets de bulles agrémentent le verre.

Odeur définitivement fruitée avec des notes de miel. Je m'attends à un goût sucré.

En bouche, la Leffe passe agréablement bien. Un sucré mielleux bien présent mais pas excessif et un arrière goût quelque peu fruité avec presqu'aucune amertume fait que cette bière est très facile à apprécier. Elle manque toutefois quelque peu de complexité. Bière agréable facile à apprécier!

01-17-2008 00:09:34 | More by AlexF
nbree00

4.75/5  rDev +34.2%

One of the most exceptional colors I have ever seen! Pours a wondrous orange and amber color with possibly the biggest head ever ( it literally sat at 2-3 inches, until I could no longer contain myself and had to start drinking it). The taste has a nice heartiness to it, with some great biscuit flavors coming through and a delicate balance of malt and hops. The finish is very clean with a little sweetness. The head alone made this beer a great choice for me.

01-12-2008 23:27:41 | More by nbree00
pirates

South Africa

4.05/5  rDev +14.4%

I'm of the opinion that this is a very special beer and I love it.

A - Deep golden brown.

S - This is the factor that didn't blow me away. As I sipped on this beer, I kept trying to ascertain the nose, but couldn't. For me, the weakest point of this beer.

T - Every sip brought on new dimensions for me. Started off a tad too sweet. Beautiful malts in between as you keep sipping, and at the end, a bit "Bavaria 8.6ish" which I didn't particularly like. A wonderfully balanced beer in terms of alcohol, sweetness, malts, etc.

M - Smooth and silky mouthfeel.

D - A very rich beer. Can't kick back too many of these. A couple is enough.

Overall a lovely beer.

01-12-2008 16:17:03 | More by pirates
Monkeyknife

Missouri

3.88/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a bottle a clean, bright gold with foamy white head which quickly faded to a thin ring. Light lacing was thin and wet.

Aroma of citrus, Belgian yeast, and bubble gum.

The taste is everything the aroma said it was. Plus a rich sweetness /tartness. Finish is very smooth and without aftertaste.

Medium mouthfeel, slightly drying, and with a zing to the carbonation.

This is a fine Belgian Pale from Leffe.

01-11-2008 02:33:47 | More by Monkeyknife
kenco12

4.3/5  rDev +21.5%

So, in my never ending quest to find Leffe Brunne in Detroit, MI. I found a guy who "ordered" it for me. Turns out, in the order, he mistaken Leffe Blonde for Leffe Brunne. Now I had never had the Blonde, but the guy offered it to me for free, as an apology for me driving out there for the Brunne, which wasn't there.

So I unwrap the gold aluminum over the cap, grab my bottle opener, crack it open, and let it settle for a moment. Take a nice swig, and it was love at first site. The beer went down smooth, with an aftertaste that only craves for more. The 6-pack was $9.99+dep, so not that pricey, but still a little expensive compared to some of the microbrews around here *great lakes, bells, etc.*

In the end, I wound up drinking 3 before telling myself I needed to enjoy it again another day. A great buy, and a great reccomendation for anyone looking for a flavourful beer. Delicious to the end.

01-09-2008 17:43:06 | More by kenco12
xare

2.4/5  rDev -32.2%

Tried Leffe Blonde for the first time and it poured as a lovely golden color with an amazing head. Probably the best appearing beer that I've ever had, especially when it wasn't even poured into its signature chalice. Laced very well the entire way.

Smell was of corn and probably some touches of spices but I didn't really get to distinguish what spices they were as it folded into the corn aroma and all I could make out was fermented corn.

Tasted like corn, a few spices (mace perhaps but I doubt it), finished with alcohol. I wasn't able to distinguish anything notable about the taste apart from alcohol and corn.

Mouthfeel was quite creamy and carbonated just right. There was a slight aftertaste of creaminess that turned me off just a bit so it didn't get a perfect score.

Drinkability suffered from the taste. I can see someone finishing those at an exceptional pace if they enjoyed the taste but for my personal drinkability, I wouldn't be able to enjoy this as a session beer but rather as a one-of beer.

I would probably drink Leffe Blonde again but only once a year.

01-08-2008 22:07:34 | More by xare
usmittymc

Mississippi

3.9/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured into an Orval chalice from a 12 oz bottle with a best by date of 2/21/09.

A- Clear golden straw color with a fluffy white head that poured about 1-2 fingers and disipated to a nice lace throughout the session

S- Sweet vanilla and bubble gum aromas. Very slight alcohol smell.

T- Crisp upon entry with a sweet vanilla middle with a dry alcohol finish

M- Slick and carbonated

D- Not a bad beer. Definitely not on the high end of the offerings from Belgium, but not a bad choice. It is one of the only of the style available in Mississippi due to it's lower ABV. Will drink again, but not too many at the time due to the sweetness.

01-05-2008 03:59:03 | More by usmittymc
MTNboy

Germany

3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

I had not tried this beer in years but I remember trying it when I was in Germany (Oddly enough). So when I saw it on tap at the Flying Saucer I figured what the hell.

Appearance- Blonde is a an understatement. It is a clear yellow with a wonderful head.

Smell- It has almost a fresh bread and fruit scent to it.

Taste- I am not going to tell you anything really different than the people who wrote about this beer before the wheat really does come through in the taste. It is very sweet with almost no bitter tones. Citrus and other fruit flavors are dancing around in your moth and it is hard to lock on to one particular flavor.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied and moderate carbonation.

Drinkability- Nice smooth and easy to knock back.

01-04-2008 23:27:07 | More by MTNboy
Gehrig

3.93/5  rDev +11%

Leffe Blonde pours 2 1/2 fingers of bone-white froth atop a light, golden body, outstanding, and the Ommegang glass is exquisitely laced on the way down. The nose is disappointing--a good deal of wheat comes forth but dominates. The taste is more complex than the smell indicates, thankfully. The wheat is still strong, but I also detect some orange and a faint honey taste, quite nice. I thought the carbonation might be overwhelming, but this wasn't the case. Having a couple of these is far from taxing. A nice pale ale, although the flavor is almost more reminiscent of a light German lager.

01-04-2008 04:26:17 | More by Gehrig
RblWthACoz

3.13/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours a clear amber with minimal head. The nose is sweet and yeasty. Typical Belgian nose and quite yummy. Just smelling it reminds me why I love the Belgian stuff so much. Flavor is extremely sweet. Especially on the back end of the “flavor rush”. Strong yeast tones as well, but I find the flavor overall to be rather subdued. Perhaps after trying so many different of this level of brew, I am coming to appreciate a more unfiltered and raw beer. Feel is a little thin. Drinkable? I think it depends on your personal preference.

As I think about it, something in this brew reminds me of makeup. Weird.

12-30-2007 14:27:17 | More by RblWthACoz
ntillemans

3.83/5  rDev +8.2%

I poured this one out of a 11.2 oz bottle into a Duvel glass.

A - Clear golden color with a nice stream of carbonation and a fine lacy head over the top.

S - The smell of this one reminds me more of a heffe weizen than an abbey. It smelled a lot like Sprechers Tripel. I wasn't terribly impressed by the smell; but it was appealing to me.

T - This doesn't stack up to the beers I'd call Abbey Ales; but the taste is nice. It has a belgian sweetness but draws in some qualities that stand out in German beers I've had. It's hoppier, cooler and lighter than most of the Belgian beers I've grown to love.

M - This one is a little thicker than I expected. It's a little creamy...but not especially heavy.

D - If they cost the same, I'd drink this instead of Budweiser any day.

12-29-2007 05:57:45 | More by ntillemans
JamesS

Indiana

2.8/5  rDev -20.9%

Just an average beer overall. It has an all right look to it, a nice straw color with great head but almost no lacing. Not much of a scent, a little maltiness coming up from the brew. All right taste, some malts, but mostly bland. Goes down fine, not great and not bad. I doubt I'll try it again, but wouldn't dissuade any one from giving it a shot. Seemed more like a blonde ale than a pale ale, too.

12-27-2007 17:25:09 | More by JamesS
Kemmerlin

Colorado

4.33/5  rDev +22.3%

A: Dark straw gold color with white foamy head. It was filtered of all debris except the strong presence of carbonation bubbling up.
S: Overwhelming presence of clove that hides the rest of the beer aromas. I do enjoy the smell of cloves so that is the reason for the relatively high score on smell.
T: Along with the smell, it tastes like cloves with some other type of spice that reminds me of the holidays and brings a smile to my face.
M: Lots of carbonation on the tongue and leaves a slimy feel in my mouth that quickly dries out.
D: I am a big fan of the taste and find myself going back for more. The amount of carbonation keeps me from literally gulping it down like I am not suppose to do.

12-26-2007 21:17:49 | More by Kemmerlin
FireEmt37

Maryland

3.48/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- clear, golden with a nice head, about 1 finger

S- The malts are sweet, not very hoppy. There is a subtle hint of bananas present

T- As it smells, it is mldly sweet. It tastes like there are mild spices and fruits present

M- light and pretty smooth with just the right amount of carbonation

D- a decent beer, it wouldn't be number one on my list, but I would most likely drink it again

12-25-2007 01:24:50 | More by FireEmt37
drperm

3.43/5  rDev -3.1%

A "macro" Belgian pale-abbey-style, but in a beer wasteland such as Columbia, SC, I was overjoyed to see it on an otherwise bleak menu. (The Melting Pot) It was served in the wrong glass, but hey -- 1) they had it, and 2) they served it in a glass.
Appeareance is a golden pilsner color with a thin head.
Nose: Belgian yeast, sugar, vanilla, and pipe tobacco.
Flavor: oats, hops, white raisins, mild hominy, and slight coriander. Pleasant.
Palate: just fine, really.
Overall: quaffable, plenty pleasant enough to enjoy if somewhat blandly industrial. I'd have it again, gladly.

12-22-2007 14:18:27 | More by drperm
Atron67

Wisconsin

3.18/5  rDev -10.2%

A- poured a crystal clear bubbly deep golden color, a finger thick of fluffy white head poured on top.

S- has a light phenolic head on top, slight maltiness present,very little hop noticable,

T- has a light maltiness that tastes pretty good, has an underlying phenolic maltiness underneath the whole time. kind of like a hefeweizen minus the wheat in my mind.

M- pretty light body, effervescent, smooth

D- an ok drink but after this 6 pack im prolly done with it, not a bad choice thou

12-16-2007 19:36:56 | More by Atron67
bluemoonswoon

11.2 oz bottle poured into a chalice, best before 11/09

A: Pours a rather hazy golden and light amber with a half inch loosely bubbled off white head. Little bits of carbonation coming up from the bottom here and there.

S: Pretty good ole belgain yeasty funky smell, almost smells like a hefeweizen with bits of cut bananna interspersed, but this is really a sweet and bready smelling beer all the way, maybe a bit of lemon zest in there too.

T/MF: The inital mouthfeel is a bit watery then gets bubbly and starts attacking the back of the mouth, there is a buttery apple aspect I'm picking up here amonst the very stong sugary yeasty flavors that dominate much of the beer. There is a nice bit of hop bite to balance out all this sweetness though could be doing a bit more work. The finish is crisp with a bit of a hoppy yeasty finish.

D: Just a solid workman like belgian, in the line of a hoegarden or stella, servicable if a bit plain, but good enough to keep you interested.

12-13-2007 06:09:18 | More by bluemoonswoon
dsa7783

4.7/5  rDev +32.8%

What an awesome beer! Can't believe it's taken me this long to discover such a treasure... almost like a super hefe-weizen, this beer pours a gorgeous bronze color with a nice, frothy head that has decent staying power... The aroma is wonderful - full of banana, fruits, and spices... The taste is super-rich... full of exciting and bold flavors that strongly complement the aroma... Has a superb mouthfeel that sticks to the palate and taste buds... flavor is long-lasting and very satisfying... a relatively strong alcohol percentage is the only thing holding me back from giving this a perfect five, but the 6.6% is really not felt so much, as the alcohol is hard to detect behind a creamy and rich taste... Definitely recommended... a must-try...

12-12-2007 23:58:29 | More by dsa7783
davidt

3.25/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured into Chimay goblet, forms a thick, creamy white, long lasting head. Heavy lacing remains on side of glass. Sweet banana aroma. Taste is slightly spicy, mostly clove and banana. Perhaps a whiff of pepper. A decent beer, good for an intro to the style but there are better Belgian Pale Ales.

12-10-2007 14:54:20 | More by davidt
abcsofbeer

3.45/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Out of the bottle and into the glass, you will find a clear, light amber color. It is topped by a very tall white fluffy head. There is lots of sticky lacing and very good retention. The aroma is comprised of banana and cloves. The taste is made of sweet malt and some light hop bitterness. There is also some very slight graininess and some light spices. Not a bad beer.

12-09-2007 00:13:56 | More by abcsofbeer
Halcyondays

3.63/5  rDev +2.5%

11.2 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a yellow-orange, slightly darker than pilsner colour, with a thick, white head, with spotty lacing.

S: Estery, lots of pears, and a bit of ginger, perhaps, that's what it smells like anyway.

T: Heavy apple flavour, very cidery, a bit of banana as well, tasty, though it had a bit of a metallic tinge that I did not like.

M: Smooth, slightly medicinal, medium-bodied, with a bit of alcohol warming.

D: This is a pretty good BPA, good flavours, especially for something owned by a giant conglomerate. Could definitely drink this again, might buy six-pack next time. Good call.

12-05-2007 02:44:08 | More by Halcyondays
Shadman

Alberta (Canada)

3.38/5  rDev -4.5%

Decent looking ale. much clearer than I would have expected, but showned some good head retention and a bit of sticky lacing. Sweet, fruity aroma and some musty yeastiness noted. Some raisin rum flavours with some subtle hops in the background. A touch syrupy perhaps.

Very smooth, full bodied ale..maybe a bit sticky from the sweetness.

Not bad, but a bit too sweet and syrupy to have more than 1 or 2 in a session.

12-05-2007 02:32:53 | More by Shadman
zeff80

Missouri

3.73/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Best before 10/28/08

A - Poured out a golden hue with a foamy, white, two-finger head that lingers and leaves a little lacing on the sides of the glass.

S - It smelled of citrus, corriander, yeast and light malt.

T - It tasted of clove, some banana, yeast and some subtle spices.

M - It was sharp and crisp. A light-bodied beer.

D - This is a pretty good Belgian ale. I was quite light and reminded me of a German hefe.

12-01-2007 03:11:18 | More by zeff80
elmore

Wisconsin

4.15/5  rDev +17.2%

A: poured a translucent golden orange color into a Piraat tulip glass with a 2 finger head that receded rapidly.

S: notes of citrus and cloves. not as much of a yeasty, bready smell as I'm used to with Belgian style ales - I don't no if this is bottle conditioned, but I saw no sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

T: bananas, citrus and a little bit of peppery spicy hop aftertaste. Not very complex, but not unpleasant.

M: lost all carbonation rapidly - kind of flat - I enjoy the champagne - like texture of most belgian ales - this beer didn't have that. Thin.

D: low abv and somewhat bland. kind of boring, but pleasant - I could probably drink this all night - but I would only want to if a better belgian wasn't available.

11-30-2007 19:56:45 | More by elmore
Leffe Blonde from Abbaye de Leffe S.A.