Leffe Blonde - Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Leffe BlondeLeffe Blonde

good

poor

Abbaye de Leffe S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-21-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leffe Blonde Alström Bros
3.58/5  rDev +0.8%

11.2 oz from Total Wine

A - Beautiful golden color, carbonated, huge head, light lacing, alpha clumps, slightly off-white head.

S - Pears, pear-esters, and honey.

T - Plum, pears, sugar, and a dosing of earthy hops.

M - Carbonated and sugary

D - For the sweet taste yes, but the carbonation and earthy hops, throw this one off a little.

MisterClean, Feb 18, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +15.5%

Thanks stousnipas for this one. Small capped bottle poured into a tulip.

Bright and golden, clear brew that creates a generous amount of foamy white head, with good retention and lacing.
Delicious aroma, mostly sweet, candyish, with multiple fruity notes.
Medium bodied, nicely carbonated, it is quite pleasant if not complex; sweet maltiness, fruitiness and yeastiness abound, with a somewhat dry finish considering the overall sweetness.
Quite nice, and worthwhile, but not complex.

brdc, Feb 17, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

The Leffe pours a clear straw color with a good 1-2 finger foam head with solid retention. It leaves pillow cloud lacing all around the sides.

The aroma is yeasty with a faint spice aroma.

The taste was biscuit malty up front with a faint hopiness on the finish. In the mouth it is highly carbonated leaves a bitterness on its exit. Overall a pretty good beer. I think it might go good with a meal like a meat lover's pizza or burger to cut the fat.

cswhitehorse, Feb 16, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +9.9%

A good example of a Belgian Blond. Nice rocky white head that was very large but fell a bit quickly. Straw colored and brilliant clarity. Phenolic nose. Nice yeast character in the taste along with a subtle fruitiness and grainy finish. Light bodied but full of character.

brewjones, Feb 14, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +11.3%

Beautiful amber gradient with light bubbles and a thin head that retained just a little bit throughout. The nose was floral and had light hints of tomatoes. Very tart. The first taste was almost spicy, kind of barbequed, a taste which followed through the finish, though it seemed to evolve as such. A fruity and flowery taste also showed up from time to time. Overall, I'd say it's pretty drinkable, if not an ordinary purchase.

saztheorybook, Feb 13, 2008
3.68/5  rDev +3.7%

A very nice change of pace.

A: Vivid gold color with active carbonation. Firm white head leaves some lace down the glass.

S: I sensed lemon, lime, grass and coriander notes.

T: A lot going on here. Spicy hops are front and center. I tasted a fair amount of coriander. Malt has a biscuit quality that gets sweeter as the beer warms. The spicy hops linger into the very dry finish. Slightly acidic.

M: Medium body with a little too much fizz. Leaves the mouth dry.

D: I found this quite drinkable and would go back for more. A nice beer all by itself, but even better with food.

Rayek, Feb 11, 2008
3.08/5  rDev -13.2%

Me and a friend wandered off to Newport Beach last night and found a pizza joint with decent taps. This was one of the choices. Or so I thought. On to the beer:

The beer arrived in my mug a filtered deep colored blonde with a decent head that leaves little lacing on the glass. I'm not sure what the brewers were going for, but it smelled and tasted more like a Franziskaner than an Orval. Lots of chewing gum in the aroma and taste, and I'm talking about the cheap Wrigley's brand. A dash of cloves and a pinch of peppermint(?) provide to back up the main chewing gum flavor. Finish is thick and semi-sticky.

The flavors were fine, but the overall blend of them needs some balance and work.

DoubleJ, Feb 09, 2008

Pours with a huge head. Very dense and rocky looking.Almost like looking down on snow capped mountains.
Smell is of sweet malts, Belgian of course, and the trademark yaest nose, typical of a Belgian ale.
Taste is very sweet, almost candy-like...and thick in the mouth. Almost cloying.
Yeast evident in the flavor. Dominant.

Not a bad beer, but a little too sweet for me.

dmamiano, Feb 05, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

Very enjoyable apricot colored ale!

Wasn't picking up much apon sniffing...

Taste made up for lack of smell. This is superb. I wasn't expecting this. Very reminiscent of a Trappist ale. Yeasty, dry, and slightly ever so slightly fruity. Maybe bananas and Belgian candy sugar.

Goes down like manna!

Very, very enjoyable brew! I will drink this beer again!

CamuMahubah, Feb 04, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured from bottle, one of the most amazing, clear, dark golden beers I have poured in a long time.

the smell of cloves totally dominated, with a citrus backround.

Flovor was also dominated by cloves, with a back of bannana, and citrus. Almost "too" much of a dominant clove taste. Finishes a little bitter.

Good beer, not a seesion beer, but, a change of pace for me.

KI9A, Jan 28, 2008
3.38/5  rDev -4.8%

330ml from the Coop for about $1.70.. poured into my New Belgium snifter.

Big rocky head drops leaving significant lace chunks.. clear golden brew.

Very spicy aroma doesn't leave room for much else... cloves and whiffs of black pepper... light peachy/pear fruitiness... smells pretty sweet.

.. it is pretty sweet.. descent hop backbone.. but again spiciness dominates.. more fruitiness than the aroma.. more peaches and pears spiked with whole cloves... not overly complex but not horrible.. seems like a "supermarket" Belgian... Overall, just too sweet for me.

I've had Leffe Blond more than a few times, but now that I've reviewed it, I probably won't buy it unless I am going to be brewing a BPA and need some for comparison.

JohnGalt1, Jan 24, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -2%

Versée, la Leffe Blonde a une couleur blonde foncée et un bon collet de mousse. Les bulles sont grosses et persistantes. Des lacets de bulles agrémentent le verre.

Odeur définitivement fruitée avec des notes de miel. Je m'attends à un goût sucré.

En bouche, la Leffe passe agréablement bien. Un sucré mielleux bien présent mais pas excessif et un arrière goût quelque peu fruité avec presqu'aucune amertume fait que cette bière est très facile à apprécier. Elle manque toutefois quelque peu de complexité. Bière agréable facile à apprécier!

AlexF, Jan 17, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +33.8%

One of the most exceptional colors I have ever seen! Pours a wondrous orange and amber color with possibly the biggest head ever ( it literally sat at 2-3 inches, until I could no longer contain myself and had to start drinking it). The taste has a nice heartiness to it, with some great biscuit flavors coming through and a delicate balance of malt and hops. The finish is very clean with a little sweetness. The head alone made this beer a great choice for me.

nbree00, Jan 12, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +14.1%

I'm of the opinion that this is a very special beer and I love it.

A - Deep golden brown.

S - This is the factor that didn't blow me away. As I sipped on this beer, I kept trying to ascertain the nose, but couldn't. For me, the weakest point of this beer.

T - Every sip brought on new dimensions for me. Started off a tad too sweet. Beautiful malts in between as you keep sipping, and at the end, a bit "Bavaria 8.6ish" which I didn't particularly like. A wonderfully balanced beer in terms of alcohol, sweetness, malts, etc.

M - Smooth and silky mouthfeel.

D - A very rich beer. Can't kick back too many of these. A couple is enough.

Overall a lovely beer.

pirates, Jan 12, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured from a bottle a clean, bright gold with foamy white head which quickly faded to a thin ring. Light lacing was thin and wet.

Aroma of citrus, Belgian yeast, and bubble gum.

The taste is everything the aroma said it was. Plus a rich sweetness /tartness. Finish is very smooth and without aftertaste.

Medium mouthfeel, slightly drying, and with a zing to the carbonation.

This is a fine Belgian Pale from Leffe.

Monkeyknife, Jan 11, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +21.1%

So, in my never ending quest to find Leffe Brunne in Detroit, MI. I found a guy who "ordered" it for me. Turns out, in the order, he mistaken Leffe Blonde for Leffe Brunne. Now I had never had the Blonde, but the guy offered it to me for free, as an apology for me driving out there for the Brunne, which wasn't there.

So I unwrap the gold aluminum over the cap, grab my bottle opener, crack it open, and let it settle for a moment. Take a nice swig, and it was love at first site. The beer went down smooth, with an aftertaste that only craves for more. The 6-pack was $9.99+dep, so not that pricey, but still a little expensive compared to some of the microbrews around here *great lakes, bells, etc.*

In the end, I wound up drinking 3 before telling myself I needed to enjoy it again another day. A great buy, and a great reccomendation for anyone looking for a flavourful beer. Delicious to the end.

kenco12, Jan 09, 2008
2.4/5  rDev -32.4%

Tried Leffe Blonde for the first time and it poured as a lovely golden color with an amazing head. Probably the best appearing beer that I've ever had, especially when it wasn't even poured into its signature chalice. Laced very well the entire way.

Smell was of corn and probably some touches of spices but I didn't really get to distinguish what spices they were as it folded into the corn aroma and all I could make out was fermented corn.

Tasted like corn, a few spices (mace perhaps but I doubt it), finished with alcohol. I wasn't able to distinguish anything notable about the taste apart from alcohol and corn.

Mouthfeel was quite creamy and carbonated just right. There was a slight aftertaste of creaminess that turned me off just a bit so it didn't get a perfect score.

Drinkability suffered from the taste. I can see someone finishing those at an exceptional pace if they enjoyed the taste but for my personal drinkability, I wouldn't be able to enjoy this as a session beer but rather as a one-of beer.

I would probably drink Leffe Blonde again but only once a year.

xare, Jan 08, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured into an Orval chalice from a 12 oz bottle with a best by date of 2/21/09.

A- Clear golden straw color with a fluffy white head that poured about 1-2 fingers and disipated to a nice lace throughout the session

S- Sweet vanilla and bubble gum aromas. Very slight alcohol smell.

T- Crisp upon entry with a sweet vanilla middle with a dry alcohol finish

M- Slick and carbonated

D- Not a bad beer. Definitely not on the high end of the offerings from Belgium, but not a bad choice. It is one of the only of the style available in Mississippi due to it's lower ABV. Will drink again, but not too many at the time due to the sweetness.

usmittymc, Jan 05, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

I had not tried this beer in years but I remember trying it when I was in Germany (Oddly enough). So when I saw it on tap at the Flying Saucer I figured what the hell.

Appearance- Blonde is a an understatement. It is a clear yellow with a wonderful head.

Smell- It has almost a fresh bread and fruit scent to it.

Taste- I am not going to tell you anything really different than the people who wrote about this beer before the wheat really does come through in the taste. It is very sweet with almost no bitter tones. Citrus and other fruit flavors are dancing around in your moth and it is hard to lock on to one particular flavor.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied and moderate carbonation.

Drinkability- Nice smooth and easy to knock back.

MTNboy, Jan 04, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +10.7%

Leffe Blonde pours 2 1/2 fingers of bone-white froth atop a light, golden body, outstanding, and the Ommegang glass is exquisitely laced on the way down. The nose is disappointing--a good deal of wheat comes forth but dominates. The taste is more complex than the smell indicates, thankfully. The wheat is still strong, but I also detect some orange and a faint honey taste, quite nice. I thought the carbonation might be overwhelming, but this wasn't the case. Having a couple of these is far from taxing. A nice pale ale, although the flavor is almost more reminiscent of a light German lager.

Gehrig, Jan 04, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a clear amber with minimal head. The nose is sweet and yeasty. Typical Belgian nose and quite yummy. Just smelling it reminds me why I love the Belgian stuff so much. Flavor is extremely sweet. Especially on the back end of the “flavor rush”. Strong yeast tones as well, but I find the flavor overall to be rather subdued. Perhaps after trying so many different of this level of brew, I am coming to appreciate a more unfiltered and raw beer. Feel is a little thin. Drinkable? I think it depends on your personal preference.

As I think about it, something in this brew reminds me of makeup. Weird.

RblWthACoz, Dec 30, 2007
3.83/5  rDev +7.9%

I poured this one out of a 11.2 oz bottle into a Duvel glass.

A - Clear golden color with a nice stream of carbonation and a fine lacy head over the top.

S - The smell of this one reminds me more of a heffe weizen than an abbey. It smelled a lot like Sprechers Tripel. I wasn't terribly impressed by the smell; but it was appealing to me.

T - This doesn't stack up to the beers I'd call Abbey Ales; but the taste is nice. It has a belgian sweetness but draws in some qualities that stand out in German beers I've had. It's hoppier, cooler and lighter than most of the Belgian beers I've grown to love.

M - This one is a little thicker than I expected. It's a little creamy...but not especially heavy.

D - If they cost the same, I'd drink this instead of Budweiser any day.

ntillemans, Dec 29, 2007
2.8/5  rDev -21.1%

Just an average beer overall. It has an all right look to it, a nice straw color with great head but almost no lacing. Not much of a scent, a little maltiness coming up from the brew. All right taste, some malts, but mostly bland. Goes down fine, not great and not bad. I doubt I'll try it again, but wouldn't dissuade any one from giving it a shot. Seemed more like a blonde ale than a pale ale, too.

JamesS, Dec 27, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +22%

A: Dark straw gold color with white foamy head. It was filtered of all debris except the strong presence of carbonation bubbling up.
S: Overwhelming presence of clove that hides the rest of the beer aromas. I do enjoy the smell of cloves so that is the reason for the relatively high score on smell.
T: Along with the smell, it tastes like cloves with some other type of spice that reminds me of the holidays and brings a smile to my face.
M: Lots of carbonation on the tongue and leaves a slimy feel in my mouth that quickly dries out.
D: I am a big fan of the taste and find myself going back for more. The amount of carbonation keeps me from literally gulping it down like I am not suppose to do.

Kemmerlin, Dec 26, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -2%

A- clear, golden with a nice head, about 1 finger

S- The malts are sweet, not very hoppy. There is a subtle hint of bananas present

T- As it smells, it is mldly sweet. It tastes like there are mild spices and fruits present

M- light and pretty smooth with just the right amount of carbonation

D- a decent beer, it wouldn't be number one on my list, but I would most likely drink it again

FireEmt37, Dec 25, 2007
Leffe Blonde from Abbaye de Leffe S.A.