Leffe Blonde - Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Leffe BlondeLeffe Blonde

good

poor

Abbaye de Leffe S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-21-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leffe Blonde Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +18.9%

As a Belgian beer it goes best with typical food of that country such as oysters and such. A good but not overpowering taste, pretty good smell and strong (6.6% ABV as I recall) but can still be drunk as a session beer, by me anyway. It can be hard to find in Dixie but well worth it if you find it. My local HEB just started carrying it awhile ago, think I will get some for nostalgia.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

A: This beer looks fantastic, although as others have mentioned it is very clean and filtered. Pours a lovely translucent orange, amber color with fizzy white head that dissipates quickly.

S: The aroma is of fruit and spice; there is somewhat of a "bubble gum" smell in there somewhere, but it's not overpowering.

T: Very clean brew... fruits and spice, like the nose... coriander and cloves perhaps? Lots of yeast present too... a slight dry, bitterness in there as well. Tastes very aged, which i highly enjoy.

M: Very caronated (bubbly)... goes down smooth, light on the tongue.

D: Very drinkable, also packs a nice 6.6% ABV, which is a nice perk.

This was the first non-domestic beer I drank, so I must credit it to having got me into the world of beer drinking. That said, after trying several hundred other brews, I have recognized that the quality of this one is only above average, at best (when compared to other belgian abbey beers). However, this beer holds a special place in my heart and I still enjoy it every now and then (especially during the holidays).

2.9/5  rDev -18.3%

Orange-gold with a big white head. Spice, malt, and yeast in the nose. Smooth, malty taste with some orange peel and coriander. Not a lot to overwhelm, which underwhelms. More like a Belgian with training wheels. Doesn't try anything too strong or risky.

3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

This one pours a full golden color, with smells of sweet bread. The flavors had sweet spices that stayed balanced all the way to the finish. I was not a big fan of Belgians until I was introduced to the Abbey Pale Ale style. This one is a good everyday example of the style and not too high in alcohol, so I could drink a lot of it.

2.4/5  rDev -32.4%

I was hoping for more here. Poured from a brown bottle into a pilsner glass (my tulip was dirty)

A - Beautiful Honey amber color with a healthy head that hangs on for a while.

S - There's something weird about this beer. I can't quite put a finger on it, but it almost smells medicinal. Phenols? other than that, sweet and yeasty. Clearly Belgian.

T - The same odd flavor in the nose comes through in the mouth, just stronger. It's kind of a chemically flavor, that i don;t think should be there. I love strong pale belgians, and i've noticed a similar flavor in others, but it's not offensive to me like it is in this one. Hmmm. Other than that, Sweet, yeasty, and fruity notes.

M - Medium soft mouthfeel.

D - This will be the last one of these I'll have. It wasn't terrible, but neither was "4 Christmases" and I won't be experiencing that again either.

-Pours a copper-amber with active beads of carbonation rising sporadically throughout. 1.5-finger head that slowly fades into a thin, spotty cap. Decent retention, light tracing.
S-Sweet malt forms the backbone, but is veiled by phenols, spice, and a sulfury/gunpowdery aroma. Slight plantain.
T-Sweet, spicy malt upfront, sweet tea-like midway with a hint of ginger, and a smooth finish w/spice and light hops that provide some bitterness, but don't exactly cleanse the palate of the sweetness. Still, quite good.
M&D-This one really tastes better either well-chilled, or border-line warm. As the temperature rises and gets close to cellar temperature, the body becomes slightly syrupy, and strings out the sweetness, which unbalances it. As it warms more and approaches ambient temperature, the body gets lighter, and reminds me more of a spicy tea. I drank a lot of this beer in France back in the day, and it is associated w/many fond memories. Not the best example of the style, but still very drinkable, and sessionable if right out of the fridge.

4.22/5  rDev +18.9%

This is my go-to beer. I always keep a 6 of this in the fridge. What's funny is, I'm always reviewing the odd beer that I taste here and there and tonight I realized that I never reviewed one of my favorites. I typically drink this in my Leffe tulip glass that I picked up on my trip to Belgium last year.

A - It looks like a beer should. Not to light, not too dark. A little golden brown.
S - Again it's just right. There is no overpowering smell of alcohol in this beer.
T - The taste has a little something to it. you don't have the typical beer taste but it is not too strong either
D - I can drink these all night long. Maybe after drinking too many 9 - 10% abv beers these seem to go down wayyy to easily.
M - Not overpowering. It seems just right.

I wish they would make the braun readily available in the U.S. I actually enjoyed this more while I was in Belgium but it is really hard to find back here.

4.35/5  rDev +22.5%

This is an interesting Belgian beer that is sweet but very tasty and has some similarities to a sweet version of a maibock mixed with a more normal Belgian-style ale.

Dark, clear gold, it has a big white head slowly shrinking to a thin foam and leaving some nice lace.

The aroma is clearly within the range of normal Belgian pale ales and witbiers, banaa, spices, fruit, a lot of bread dough, and a hint of bubblegum.

The taste is raisiny sweet with some honey, alcoholic spiciness, fruitiness, and plenty of bread. It's on the sweet side but smooth and quite tasty.

3.13/5  rDev -11.8%

I was happy to see the pub across the way with a whole Belgian draught line and remembered that I hadn't had a Leffe in quite a while. So...the golden blonde poured nicely by a pro and its aroma had a sharp fruit quality to it and a nice clear golden hue with dense head. The flavor was both creamy & pure, but overall quite sweet. The sweet fruitiness overwhelmed the very mild hops and left a lingering sweet-corn aftertaste. An ok desert-like beer, but too many would feel like a candy-corn overdose...

3.48/5  rDev -2%

A - Clear golden brown, good carbonation to support the fair creamy head, nice lace

S - Yeasty & malty on nose, maybe some sour fruits, little bit of spice

T - I get a fruity, banana, malt, and spice coming through, honey-like (corn) & floral sweetness, some bitter at the end

MF - It feels somewhat dry and a bit astringent, not a good sensation on my tongue because of the sharpness

D - Slightly drinkable, nothing special here

2.95/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours an a clear light oragne with a sticky white head that hangs around and leaves great lacing on the goblet. Smells of cloves and bubblegum sweetness but not much else. Taste is of nebulously fruity sweetness (too sweet!) with insufficient hops. Its sugariness actually makes me cringe. I have no beefs with the mouthfeel because the weight is fine and the best part of this beer is the moment you swallow it and are happy its no longer in your mouth. I'm not going to totally pan its drinkability because it occurs to me that this beer could possibly work as an after dinner drink/dessert.

4.15/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours a bright golden color with a sizable white head that has good retention. A very thick cap sits atop the beer for the entire duration of consumuption. Heavy lacing is left on the glass. Tiny carbonation bubbles continuously rise. It would be hard to imagina a Belgian Pale Ale looking any better than this. Nice vinous quality in the aroma. A hint of cloves and coriander is also apparent. The taste is more spice from the yeast rather than fruity esters. Spicey finish as well. Light body with a nicely paired carbonation. A good pale ale. It lacks the funkiness of Orval but for people who do not like Brett in their beers, this may be a better alternative.

3.4/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Leffe is a seemingly smooth beer compared to most Belgian Pale Ales, but it's drinkability doesn't come close to that of Duvel. It has a dark, golden body with a sizable head. This beer smells like yeast more than anything else, but upon consumption it has some spicy and sweet qualities to it. Not a bad Belgian beer by any means, but there are much better.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

A - Pours a clear honey-yellow. Visible carbonation underneath the big white pillowy head. Nice lacing.

S - I get lots of light fruits, some banana, some typical Belgian yeast, with a bit of tartness.

T - More light fruits - banana, pear - with some light spices and malt. Transitions to a slightly hoppy finish. Dry at the end.

M - Lots of carbonation makes the medium body appear a bit lighter than it is. Creamy.

D - Refreshing, drinkable, but not tons of character. Maybe a bit sweet if you have several of them.

3.55/5  rDev 0%

A very nice Belgian style ale that pours a liquid gold color with a slight head with little lace. It has a great smell of banana, clove, and dark/caramel in the background. It tastes very light and fresh with an initial sweetness of fruit but finishes a little tart, like many belgians....almost a gueuze type finish. Overall a nice beer, but nothing like many small brewery Belgians. It's nice you can find it most places and a great alternative for any occasion.

3.63/5  rDev +2.3%

A- Pours a light color copper with a 1 finger head that quickly recedes into a decent cap. No sediment is present.

S- Nice banana and clove aromas are present as well as a bit of metallic hop character and malty sweetness.

T- Starts out with thick sweet maltiness with notes of banana, clove, peaches, and toffee. The finish has much of the same malty sweetness

M- Very big thick feel on this one. Very malt driven

D- I find this one to be good but perhaps a bit cloyingly sweet. I'd like to see a bit of hop presence in this one. As it is, I'll probably drink this again but won't rush out to buy more.

3.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured a clear golden color with a two inch head, nice head retention with some lacing.

Had a spicy yeast smell to it with a hint of fruitness in the end.

Tasted just like it smelled, theres not much to it.

It was smooth and goes down easy.

I would say its drinkable, but theres not much to it that I wouldn't pick this one up again.

3.25/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours a clear golden color with a large inch and a half off-white head. Good retention and some bits of lacing.

The aroma is ok. Not a ton going on, but slightly fruity (banana) with a spice and yeast component.

The taste is ok. A fair bit of banana with a light malt presence as well giving a little bread like feature. A little yeasty with a touch of spice.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with ample fine bubbled carbonation.

Drinkability is moderate. The flavor isn't quite there for me for one. I guess as a whole it's just missing the mark a bit. But it's not completely horrible.

4.63/5  rDev +30.4%

Nice golden color with reddish tint. Persistent carbonation, generous white head that diminishes slowly. Smells more alchoholic than 6.6%. A clean, fruity smell
Tastes very refreshing. Definite alcohol warmth. Malty, but not BIG malty. It's balanced well with hop bitterness and a fruitiness that I assume comes from the hops, and maybe yeast? This one is hard to pin down. Mouthfeel is dry, yet refreshing. Crisp, I suppose is the word.

VERY drinkable. Probably the drinkablest(?) Belgian I've had yet.

4.03/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours a rich golden-orange and is topped with a fluffy white head that sticks around forever. Very nice looking. Smells of sweet malts, bananas, and some subtle spice. It's light to medium-bodied with notes of vanilla and spice on the palate. There's something inexplicable about this beer. It's subtle to an extent, but keeps you going and wanting more. Refined and tasty, but not too big either. Give it a shot and figure it out for yourself.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance: Pours just like the adverts. Looks beautiful. Fluffy white head compliments the golden body. Lacing down the glass with effervescent wondertude.

Smell: I smell pilsner malt, slight alcohol.

Taste: Delicate taste. Slight fruit. Good malt backbone. I just finished a glass of Duvel prior to this(not fair I know) and this tastes a bit watery. I'm sure this is to style, however. Slightly spicy yeast flavor.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation level leaves a full feeling on the tongue. As Jim Carey once said, "I like it a lot."

Drinkable: Yes.

I likes it.

EDIT: As the beer warms it gets slightly syrupy. More of a sipping beer, really. A little too sweet unless the beer is colder.

4.5/5  rDev +26.8%

This beer tastes as good as it looks. I do have to admit that I was a little disappointed that maize was used as an adjunct but given my love fro this beer I'll overlook it. The pour finished with a white creamy head that looks every bit as good as the advertisements. The taste was smooth and malty with a nice hop balance. This is the kind of beer you can have with pizza or a nice filet mignon. Excellent!

4.83/5  rDev +36.1%

A - Clear golden body with a compact head of fine foam that laces the inside of the pint glass finely and thoroughly.

S - Very mild, some florals and fruit.

T - Sweet with a slightly bitter aftertaste. Mild notes of honey.

M - Crisp with just the right amount of carbonation.

D - A very drinkable Belgian blonde ale. Light, but not too light.

This is the first time I have tried this style, and I was so pleased with it that I will make it a point from now on to buy a six-pack of this beer at least once a week.

3.63/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours clear , with a small head.

Bready smell, with some citrus notes... but not much to it.

Tasted a little orange peel, and light hop quality. Biscuity maltiness (slightly musty), with a touch of grapefruit on back end.

Good carbonation, and a refreshing bite.

VERY drinkable ... i.e. solid 6 pack for a warm evening.

4.1/5  rDev +15.5%

They are getting me more and more by the day. I am a former anti-Belgian beer person. My recent trip to the Belgian Beerfest has started to change all of this. I decided to have a couple of glasses of Leffe with dinner in New York this week. I really enjoyed it.

Each of the two beers I enjoyed came in the official Leffe glass. There was a thin wispy white head that was there upon serving. This quickly faded back into the beer. The beer was a bright/deep gold color with almost yellowish highlights. Crystal clear. Nice visible carbonation.

Aroma was fantastic and deep. Lots of fruit. Sweet and of spices. Enjoyable.

Flavor was very complex and kept me wondering what I was tasting. Lots of spices, lots of fruits. There was clove but also something more. I am not a fan of clove but I enjoyed this.

Mouth feel was light and bright. Carbonation tingled a bit and brought out the depth of the flavors.

Lots going on in this beer.

Good gateway to Belgian beers...

Leffe Blonde from Abbaye de Leffe S.A.