Leffe Blonde - Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Leffe BlondeLeffe Blonde

good

poor

Abbaye de Leffe S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-21-2001)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leffe Blonde Alström Bros
dmarch

3.68/5  rDev +4%

Gorgeous looking beer. Crystal clear golden color with a large, long-lasting head. Highly carbonated. Aroma is pretty strong with clove and bannana. Taste is very sweet and quite yeasty. Very refreshing, but simple in the taste. Kinda one dimensional for a belgian.

09-04-2003 20:52:58 | More by dmarch
UnionMade

Colorado

3.43/5  rDev -3.1%

The bartender poured this amazingly well, even slicing off the overflowing head with a knife. The beer itself was a rich clear amber, with a bountiful thick white head. Decent head retention, with a thick misting lasting all the way through the glass. Some lacework.
Aroma is dominated by belgian malts, providing a thick sugary sweetness. Heavy floral esteriness, with hints of apricot, pear, and plum. A touch of taffylike sugariness.
Flavor is very sweet and candy like. I gave my sister a sip of this, and she said it was like cotton candy. Big belgian malts, with a full, rich mouthfeel. Tons of estery fruitiness Slightly sour in the end, with a hint of peach. Carbonation is fairly high, but smooth and rounded.
A little sweet for my tastes, but certainly good for a belgian ale. Trying this on tap was fun and interesting. The beer definitely didn't bore me, that's for sure.

08-20-2003 07:11:58 | More by UnionMade
chaduvel

3.98/5  rDev +12.4%

The bar I was at in Harvard Sq. had an Interbrew tap with Leffe Blonde, Hoegaarden and Stella. Poured nice yellow color, unfortunately not much head due to the bartender's pour. Smells of sour wheat, and sweet malt. I don't detect much in the way of spices. Taste is pretty unique. I've had this beer many times and could pick it out in a blind taste test in a second. Has a sweet/sour malt flavor with a definite and distinct medicine flavor that provides bite. [from phenols]? There are some hops in here as well. Coats the mouth in a weird way as well, almost like cough syrup. A distinctive beer, yet very drinkable.

08-19-2003 17:53:05 | More by chaduvel
Loki

4.28/5  rDev +20.9%

Mmmmm....Leffe...
Sampled on draught all over France and in select places in Italy. This is probably the best, most available beer in France. There are better, but Leffe is very easy to find and in most bars.

Pours a golden yellow, with a big white head. Nice lacing throughout. Good head retention and tiny streams of bubbles from the high carbonation

Aromas of fruit and sweet malt. A very unique nose that is very easily identifiable. Hints of bananas and cloves. Yeast and other scents I could not discern but could detect.

Tastes of sweet malt, bananas, cloves, with hints of spice. The taste is a tad bit sweet, but incredibly easy drinking. Maybe the perfect session beer, if it were a little less sweet.

I found Leffe perfect for heat, and I was in France in the hottest summer in over a century. Wonderful beer for late nights, when your winding down, or for a quick lunch. Amazing quality for a mass produced beer. I hope the quality does not diminish in the bottle as I brought a 3L home!

08-15-2003 18:06:17 | More by Loki
oberon

3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a deep golden color with a nice sticky head,the aroma is very yeasty and a little fruity.Taste has a honey taste that hits you right away along with some spicey yeast notes not alot of fruitiness in the taste in my opinion.I like this beer but there are alot better Belgian pales out there.

08-15-2003 13:44:01 | More by oberon
thefireman

3.9/5  rDev +10.2%

I tried this beer at Eulogy in Philly. It really had a fruity, yeasty smell. The taste was the same, with a touch of banana. A nice head that lasted throughout. Great finish. Maybe not the best of the Belgians, but still a good brew. Was a real hit with my wife. I will definately try again.

08-15-2003 03:02:19 | More by thefireman
clvand0

Kentucky

2.68/5  rDev -24.3%

Had this beer on tap at the local pub. It poured a light amber color with a tall, white head that left respectable lacing on the glass. The aroma was very malty with some spiciness - like many Belgians. The flavor was somewhat thin and not very distinct. The wheat was the most prominent flavor, but I just really didn't think there was anything special about this one and didn't care too much for it.

08-13-2003 12:38:12 | More by clvand0
bewareOFpenguin

3.7/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

If my wife was writing this review, it would be a perfect 5. Brought home a six pack, which I found unique. Poured a nice golden hue, no fear of sediment. Nice lacey head. The taste was crisp, very little bite. Subtle hops. I could have drank the entire six pack myself, due to the smooth non-bitter flavor. I chose to leave four for my wife.

08-06-2003 13:46:30 | More by bewareOFpenguin
Garin

Alberta (Canada)

2.8/5  rDev -20.9%

It poured a very clear golden brown, with plenty of carbonation to support a substantial, creamy head. Lots of lace.

On the nose I get tons of yeasty malt, and some sour fruit. I get a little clove and sulphur as well.

The flavour is muted. I get bandaids, banana, malt, and spice coming through the aroma. The front end is a bit tingly and sharp with hints of honey-like floral sweetness. I feel some bitter on the back. The middle of my tongue is totally dead. Weird.

In the mouth, it feels somewhat dry and astringent, with a slightly sharp carbonation. It's almost an assault, actually.

For the aroma, I find it slightly drinkable.

08-06-2003 05:40:08 | More by Garin
SeanChouffe

New Mexico

4.05/5  rDev +14.4%

Second review 9/19/04

I had a few of these babies in Spain this summer, and, well, it is not the most Belgian of beers, but I find it quite drinkable and smooth. Upgraded.

Served in a 330cl bottle. Smelled like a Belgian beer -- kind of rich and somewhat fruity and malty, but the taste was very light and fairly indistinctive. It has an amber color and the head poured pretty full, but died soon after. The carbonation was light and the mouth feel nice. It had a pleasant finish with a small hint of hops. A drinkable beer.

07-30-2003 03:48:54 | More by SeanChouffe
beergeek279

3.58/5  rDev +1.1%

Served on tap. The color was blonde, with some head. The smell was a very sweet malty/yeasty one. The taste was very sweet without a lot of hop character........as if someone took a lager and dumped a cup of sugar in it. The mouthfeel was very smooth.......didn't seem overly carbonated. Drinkability-wise, the cloying sweetness would probably get to me after a couple of these.

Not a bad beer at all..........just somewhat tame compared to all those other crazy Belgians out there. Still, at a price lower than most of the others, I'd probably have another one at some point.

07-26-2003 14:12:06 | More by beergeek279
slitherySOB

Ontario (Canada)

3.05/5  rDev -13.8%

This Belgian would be terrific if it wasn't filtered like Brita water. Gold, crystal appearance with a large, fluffy head that disipated slightly. Predominant malt smell, with some banana fruit and a little yeast. Tasted of malt and banana. Little honey and bubblegum flavour, with next to no bitterness. A disappointing Belgium.

07-24-2003 21:45:29 | More by slitherySOB
TheLongBeachBum

3.53/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: 12 fluid ounce bottle. Very Belgium in appearance, traditional looking label with a gold foil covered crown cap, and a freebie from a local bar that I usually frequent on a Sunday Night.

Appearance: A lovely golden color, with a clean looking white head whose formation is aided by the high inherent carbonation.

Nose: Fruity and sweet, malt and grain break through and contribute to a nose that is very Leffe in nature. Once inhaled, rarely forgotten.

Taste: Fruity introduction that has a malt appeal mixed with cloves and bananas in the beginning. Finish is sweet and slightly cloying at times, with some lingering malt aspects. One of those beers that has a very simple, yet distinctive taste. Far from complex, but not at all bad for a mass produced beer.

Mouthfeel: Average, yet solid and well defined. Enough to alert you to the fact that you are still awake at 5am after a heavy session in the Paters’ Vaetje in Antwerp.

Drinkability: What can I say? I have drunk so much of this beer whilst in Belgium that it scares me. Whatever time of day, or night, however many other “quality Belgium’s” I have previously drunk; Leffe Blonde always seems to be a relatively easy drinking beer. It makes a great 6am beer I can tell you. Its only drawback, as a session beer, is the fact that it is a bit too sweet and cloying at times.

Overall: Ask anyone what their first Belgium beer was; and I guarantee that 90% will say Stella Artois, Chimay, Hoegaarden or Leffe. Widely available at even the smallest dive bar in Belgium, so much so that I often find I heavily rely on a Leffe Blonde at 4am in the morning after a serious day on the beer. Despite the tendency to “knock” this beer for its mass-appeal, I will most certainly refrain from doing so. At the end of the day this is a Blonde Ale, it is no Westie 12, merely the equivalent of a session beer that happens to be produced by Interbrew. That said, it is still leagues ahead of most other Countries session beers IMHO. A decent, solid, Blonde beer that has enough restrained flavors to convert macro drinkers, whilst having enough character to retain some loyalty from seasoned drinkers. I still occasionally enjoy this beer, and will continue to do so. Far better on draft than from the bottle I find.

07-21-2003 06:28:33 | More by TheLongBeachBum
Darkale

4.15/5  rDev +17.2%

Light, copper-gold color, full and frothy bright, white head. Tremendous lacing.

Spicy, flowery aroma with a some earth thrown in.

Sweet, slightly chewy taste, backbone of spice. Aftertaste is a mix of spice and malt.

A pleasant, slightly sour and fruity beer. Complicated. The aftertaste is the only thing that I would change; it stays with you, and is a bit too sour for me.

07-14-2003 19:22:23 | More by Darkale
EmoBeerGuy

New Hampshire

4.13/5  rDev +16.7%

Had not had this beer since being in Europe almost a year ago, and finally found it on tap, in my home town none the less!

This beer is a wonderful golden hues, rich, with a slight head, and was served in a genuine Leffe chalice. I really enjoyed this. Strong clove notes, as from any good Beligium, this beer was better than I had remembered and I savored it with each sip. This is a fairly tame Belgian though, and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to get into the style... also is a "major" brew of sorts (yeast and spiciness of the clove do stay to the back enough to be a transitional beer). All in all, a great brew, deserving of its reputation.

07-10-2003 12:03:58 | More by EmoBeerGuy
TripelJ

4.15/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured slow to avoid an eruption out of the glass, nice 2.5" head--diminishes within a few minutes. Liquid gold with a cloud-like head when first poured. Fine bubbles race to the surface and maintain a thin layer throughout the beer. Nice Lacing. Smell is Sweet and "perfumey".... Typical belgian sweetness gives way to a nice hoppy bitterness (Almost champagne-like). These are nicely balanced to create a very drinkable blonde. Took a break from the tasting to let it warm up and more of the flavor that I fell in love with when drinking this beer on draught is coming out. Orginally, this was my first belgian beer and I have been waiting for months to try it again. Last time it was on draft and had a tad more character, but nonetheless, I was very impressed with the bottled version. I will always go back to this one and always recommend it as a stepping stone to some of the more prominent belgians.

06-04-2003 18:25:57 | More by TripelJ
IronDjinn

Alberta (Canada)

3.35/5  rDev -5.4%

Served in a goblet with a Leffe logo even on it (which didn't impress me too much, I have one at home). Thin layer of head around the rim. Appearance was a pale cloudy straw, what I expect from a light Belgian. Nose was sweetish, some spice and a bit of apple/pear. Taste was sweetly/sour, less spice than was in the nose, but definitely notes of apple/pear in there. Thick mouthfeel, an okay sipping beer to be enjoyed with a meal, but nothing in the realm of a sessional.

05-31-2003 17:44:49 | More by IronDjinn
Jarod

3.7/5  rDev +4.5%

Abbey of Leffe – Blonde Ale 1240
Stamped – best before 5/2004

This beer poured into the glass a crystal clear gold color, then when held up into the sunlight produced a beam of pure 24 karat gold on my arm. The head that was produced was thick, foamy and long lasting (almost too long lasting) it was a light beige/white color. The lace that was created was intricate and delicate in nature. The aromas that came from the glass and bottle were of malt, fresh hops, grass, fruit (pears), bananas, bread, and spice (black pepper). The tastes that rolled across my tongue were of sweet malt, fresh baked bread, bananas, fruit (pears), hops (floral, herb), a slight alcohol and I swear cocoa, very slight, but I swear I tasted it. The aftertaste when first poured was drying on the tongue, but as it warmed, it became creamy and a banana flavor emerged. Decently carbonated and medium bodied (decent mouthful) was this beer. It was fairly crisp, fresh, sweet and creamy over all. I must say though, the aromas and tastes were not overwhelming or pronounced as I would have thought or liked. But it is drinkable, not the greatest, but I wouldn’t turn my nose up to it

05-15-2003 08:48:56 | More by Jarod
dwarbi

3.35/5  rDev -5.4%

This beer has a perfect, pure white head, and the lacing is fantastic. It looks a little too dark for a blonde, though. It's a yellowish light brown. I describe the aroma as "thick". It's very wheaty, but also smells sweet. Tastes good. Again, some wheaty tastes, but it's also sweet and even a little syrupy. It feels OK in the mouth, but not as crisp and refreshing as I had hoped. Very drinkable, though. Not sure what it is about it, but I could have several in one sitting.

05-07-2003 17:49:47 | More by dwarbi
Scooter77

Pours a slightly hazy, golden color with a fluffy white head. The head retains itself for the duration leaving a nice, sticky lace on the glass. Aromas of sweet bananas are initially detected, mixed with light malt and a mild spiciness of cloves. The taste is equal to the aroma, moderately sweet with a slight touch of spiciness. This is a very well balanced beer, crisp, refreshing and easy to drink.

04-02-2003 05:26:55 | More by Scooter77
kbub6f

3.15/5  rDev -11%

Bought locally (Grapevine refrigerated shelves), a few days in my fridge, reviewed 45F-60F.

There's a big, noisy white head that dies to a one inch meringue with full lacing. The beer is deep gold/orange-gold.

Very nice smell: spice, citrus. The front is sweetish, spicy. The middle brings on a slightly strange sour malty flavor. The finish is fresh, dry, with noticeable alcohol. The aftertaste is a little sour... strange. Overall, this beer is ok. I actually preferred it cooler than warmer. For that reason, and because of the funky aftertaste, this beer should probably be drunk as quickly as possible.

04-01-2003 08:02:14 | More by kbub6f
LarryKemp

3.78/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured a bright clear golden with a effervesinet white head. The head clung to the side of the Belgian glass. The aroma was mild and of malt. The flavor was mellow and I could not taste any hops. The mouthfeel was light and bubbly from carbonation. I found this a nice beer for sipping on a hot day. I probably won't be drinking this again for awhile. It is too subtle for me, but for its style it was good.

03-30-2003 18:08:15 | More by LarryKemp
goindownsouth

3.43/5  rDev -3.1%

I tried this bier on a tip from a bar keep at the Steelgarden, within the Bethlehem Brew Works. All in all, it is not a bad beer. It is a little lighter than I expected color-wise. The aroma is decent, with hints of spice and fruit. A very legitimate Belgian brew that I would probably recommend as a beginner to the world of the Belgians. Prost!

03-23-2003 10:11:15 | More by goindownsouth
AtrumAnimus

4.43/5  rDev +25.1%

This pours an orangish color with a long lasting creamy head. It has a spicy malted nose that is just wonderful. This beer has an excellent taste that is well complemented by the creamy mouthfeel. The taste is malty with a pleasant and enjoyable hop undertone.

03-14-2003 14:37:35 | More by AtrumAnimus
beerluvr

Ontario (Canada)

4.25/5  rDev +20.1%

Pours with a beautiful long lasting just slightly off-white head, resting atop a clear rich deep gold liquid. Fresh fruity and spicy malty notes in the nose make for a very appetizing harbinger of what awaits. Taste is a tasty candyish mix of fruit, malt, a bit of breadiness..all very fresh-tasting & lip smackingly delicious. Finishes smooth and deceptively drinkable, drys oh-so-slightly in the end. This was a nice find, I recommend it without reservation.

03-09-2003 13:13:29 | More by beerluvr
Leffe Blonde from Abbaye de Leffe S.A.